What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bear's options for another WR. (1 Viewer)

Family Matters

Footballguy
PFW had this under their "The Way We Hear IT" column and I thought you might be interested:

The Bears plan to use a portion of their $17 million of salary-cap space to acquire a secondary receiver. The top players available, Terrell Owens and unrestricted free agent Reggie Wayne of the Colts, are expected to be spoken for and, to a large degree, out of the Bears’ price range come March. We hear they’ll turn their attention to either Steelers WR Antwaan Randle El, a local product, or explore a handful of restricted free agents who have piqued the interest of general manager Jerry Angelo and pro personnel director Bobby DePaul. While Randle El is considered a No. 2 or slot receiver, he might be in demand and, thus, be priced out of the Bears’ budget because of the thin WR class. Only one receiver, Ohio State junior Santonio Holmes, is considered a lock to be a first-round pick among the 2006 rookie class. The Bears would have profound interest in any veteran receivers who might be released, such as Marty Booker (Dolphins), Eric Moulds (Bills) or Joe Horn (Saints), who is a long shot to be axed but someone the Bears have on their radar.
IMO-Horn and Moulds would make for an interesting option.

I thought Bradley was supposed to be the secondary receiver. Perhaps the ACL injury is expected to keep him out, or at least at less than full strength by the beginning of the season.

So they're going to play Berrian in the slot next year? Seems to me a guy with his speed opposite Moose would be just what the doctor ordered, and Randle El is basically the same player, with more experience.

Seems to me their biggest need is a RZ / third-and-medium target. A big David Boston-type body.

Horn Moulds and Muhammid are all the same type player, that wouldn't help.

I think they should put some of that money into a QB. Grossman hasnt impressed me and has had trouble staying healthy. There is a lot more quality hitting the market at QB than WR. I'd take advantage of the current market and grab a bargain QB instead of overpaying for a WR. Now if they can get Booker back at a reasonable price that's a good idea. That's not going to happen though unless Miami signs TO.

I see a lot of Bear fans openly salivating over Hakim, er, I mean Randel El.

Please enlighten me.
The Hakim analogy was perfect. Randle El is going to be extremely overpaid, for a great # 3 WR, decent # 2.There is only one bona fide # 1 receiver on the market - Terrel Owens. If you want to make another analogy, Reggie Wayne and Peerless Price are a good fit.

Any team in need of a # 2 is best served signing a vet like Moulds or Horn for little $$$. I shudder to think what type of cash Wayne and Randle El will get.

I thought Bradley was supposed to be the secondary receiver. Perhaps the ACL injury is expected to keep him out, or at least at less than full strength by the beginning of the season.
Everything I heard was he was coming along fine.Randel-El really really seems to be their focus

Horn Moulds and Muhammid are all the same type player, that wouldn't help.

:confused: I think most NFL teams would like a WR core consisting of these 3 guys.

If Marvin Harrison was one of three equally talented triplets who got picked up by the same lucky team, having 3 similar WR's would be an asset, not a liability.

I don't really get this myself. It seems to me that they already have a bevy of #2/#3 guys, and what they really lack is a go-to #1 guy.

Muhammad didn't exactly show himself capable of carrying a WR corp on his back last year and seemed to have some shakey hands, and Bradley/Berrian looked to be developing into a solid #2/#3 duo. Looks to me what they lack is that superstar to draw the doubleteam, and if they go after a guy like Randel El they're just adding another guy like they already have.

Randel El:

Above average receiver

Exceptional punt returner

Chicago guy

...nuff said

The Bears need playmakers. Randel El could be that guy.

Of course I don't want the Bears to overpay for the guy - but Bradley has proven NOTHING to me so far, and he's coming off a knee injury. Berrian is a nice sleeper.

But Urlacher/Ogunleye/MBrown are the cornerstones of this team (on the defensive side) - and they're not getting any younger. Nor are Olin Kreutz or John Tait.

PROVEN is the operative word. Moulds would be a great fit for a couple of years until one of the younger guys really came along.

I don't really get this myself. It seems to me that they already have a bevy of #2/#3 guys, and what they really lack is a go-to #1 guy.

Muhammad didn't exactly show himself capable of carrying a WR corp on his back last year and seemed to have some shakey hands, and Bradley/Berrian looked to be developing into a solid #2/#3 duo. Looks to me what they lack is that superstar to draw the doubleteam, and if they go after a guy like Randel El they're just adding another guy like they already have.
You make a great point. But thinking on this further, the problem isn't the WR. No I think they have good enought WR's. Muhammad came off leading the NFL as the #1 option on his team and then went to Chicago and his numbers evaporated. He didn't suddenly forget how to play or catch the ball.The problem is the QB and system he plays in. Defenses know they can't and won't throw the ball. If your the defense you know Muhammad is going to run his routes but for what? They aren'e going to throw it to him very often so they can afford to cheat against the run. It's not like they have to respect their QB that much. He isn't going to carry this team is he? They are clearly 1 deminsional.

In order for them to become more effective in the passing game they must make a commitment to do so. They are the opposite of Arizona who can throw but not run the ball. Arizona makes no commitment to run so they can't.

Randel El:

Above average receiver

Exceptional punt returner

Chicago guy

...nuff said

The Bears need playmakers. Randel El could be that guy.

Of course I don't want the Bears to overpay for the guy - but Bradley has proven NOTHING to me so far, and he's coming off a knee injury. Berrian is a nice sleeper.

But Urlacher/Ogunleye/MBrown are the cornerstones of this team (on the defensive side) - and they're not getting any younger. Nor are Olin Kreutz or John Tait.
Did you just call Randle El an above average receiver? The same Randle El who had 43 receptions in 2004 and a whopping 35 in 2005? Randle El is an above average punt returner, not an above average receiver. He is a great # 3 to have on a team, but is not a solid # 2. The guy wants 3-4 mil a year - that is ridiculous.And why is the fact that he is from Chicago make him a good signing for the BEars? Tony Fisher is from Ohio. The Bengals or Browns should definitely sign him because he is an Ohio guy, right?

And one more thing to add - I think Muhsin Mohammed can be a #1 receiver, provided he has a qb who can get him the ball. I am surprised by all the hate for him, Orton couldn't throw a two yard out accurately.

PROVEN is the operative word. Moulds would be a great fit for a couple of years until one of the younger guys really came along.
I'm confident(not 100% but confident) Moulds will return to Buffalo. The guy that drafted him, Levy, is now back in a position of prominence and has spoken highly of him recently. Moulds had a rough year last year and I would imagine seeing Levy is a huge relief to him.

And one more thing to add - I think Muhsin Mohammed can be a #1 receiver, provided he has a qb who can get him the ball. I am surprised by all the hate for him, Orton couldn't throw a two yard out accurately.
I completely agree. Muhammad did have some drops this year ... but more often than not, Orton was struggling getting him the ball. I believe Muhammad will improve significantly in his 2nd season with Chicago.

Did you just call Randle El an above average receiver? The same Randle El who had 43 receptions in 2004 and a whopping 35 in 2005? Randle El is an above average punt returner, not an above average receiver. He is a great # 3 to have on a team, but is not a solid # 2. The guy wants 3-4 mil a year - that is ridiculous.
he's a home run threat once he gets the ball and I think the Bears (and other teams) are lacking that threat.

Did you just call Randle El an above average receiver?  The same Randle El who had 43 receptions in 2004 and a whopping 35 in 2005?  Randle El is an above average punt returner, not an above average receiver.  He is a great # 3 to have on a team, but is not a solid # 2.  The guy wants 3-4 mil a year - that is ridiculous.
he's a home run threat once he gets the ball and I think the Bears (and other teams) are lacking that threat.
How much is that threat worth? A player like Jerome Mathis is a threat whenever he touches the ball as well. For me, Randle El is a 1.5 mil per player. Great punt returner who can cause some matchup problems in the slot. If the Bears want a similar, more polished receiver, they can nab Sinorice Moss in the 2nd round.

Did you just call Randle El an above average receiver?  The same Randle El who had 43 receptions in 2004 and a whopping 35 in 2005?  Randle El is an above average punt returner, not an above average receiver.  He is a great # 3 to have on a team, but is not a solid # 2.  The guy wants 3-4 mil a year - that is ridiculous.
So was James Jett. And Alvin Harper. So what.

So was James Jett. And Alvin Harper. So what.
so was Owens when he played opposite Rice and so was Moss when he played opposite Cris Carterso what

(your turn)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread