What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Roethlisberger - initially didn't want Steelers QB Kenny Pickett to succeed (4 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Ben Roethlisberger completed 30-of-43 passes for 343 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions in Sunday's 20-13 loss against the Jets.

Thanks to a fluky garbage-time 80-yard touchdown to Martavis Bryant, Roethlisberger's box score looks solid. But make no mistake, he and the Steelers suffered a predictable letdown on the road against the one-win Jets after three straight victories at home -- a streak that saw Ben compile a 14:0 TD-to-INT ratio. Ben's weekly expectation is somewhere in between the unsustainable white-hot tear and this egg, but he has to go on the road again next week (at TEN) and then has a bye. The Titans secondary is atrocious yet has far more talent than this Jets unit.

Nov 9 - 4:01 PM

In a league where I've been bitten by injury and underperformance at QB, riding Ben through the playoffs. I know Ben is a shaky, roller coaster ride, but he's the only ride I got.

Hoping for solid performances down the stretch -- should be decent enough of a schedule.

NO's D is better at home is better than on the road, but they are vulnerable and it should be a shoot-out.

CIN will be a good divisional game as usual, and on home turf. Cincy is a paper tiger this year.

ATL in Atlanta will likely be an easy matchup for Ben, and at worst, Falcons find ways of putting up points and the Steelers need to keep up with them -- doubtful this happens, though.

KC comes to PIT in WK 16, and could be the toughest game of the stretch, but they are far from unbeatable.

Here's hoping Ben looks like he did against the Colts and Ravens, not so much as he did against the Jets or Titans....

Zero TD passes at Atlanta. Why wouldn't he have zero TD passes at Atlanta???

Don't think I've made a single correct sit/start call with this guy all year long.

Rotoworld:

Ben Roethlisberger - QB - Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger completed 24-of-38 passes for 317 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception in Pittsburgh's 27-17, Week 17 win over the Bengals on Sunday night.

Roethlisberger missed pre-game warmups and briefly went to the locker room in the first quarter due to flu-like symptoms. He was able to take advantage of the Bengals secondary at the short and intermediate levels, with both of his touchdowns coming on impressive plays after the catch by Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant. Roethlisberger had a career year in 2014, tying Drew Brees for a league-high 4,952 yards with a 32:9 TD/INT ratio. The Steelers clinched the AFC North and will play the Ravens in the first round of the playoffs.

Dec 28 - 11:47

The game just makes sense to him. He is lock step with his receivers. Definitely in his prime right now.

Rotoworld:

Ben Roethlisberger will not need offseason knee surgery.

Roethlisberger opted out of the Pro Bowl as a precaution, but his agent confirmed to ESPN he won't need surgery. Big Ben's knee will require rest, but he should be good to go for the Steelers' offseason program. Roethlisberger had the best statistical season of his career in 2014, throwing for 4,952 yards and 32 touchdowns while completing 67.1 percent of his passes.

Source: ESPN.com

Jan 10 - 12:42 PM

Big Ben poised to have a top 3 season leading Steelers potent offense. I would not be surprised if he again pushes the 5k yards mark and 35 td's. Everything is in place for him to have his best season yet.

Big Ben poised to have a top 3 season leading Steelers potent offense. I would not be surprised if he again pushes the 5k yards mark and 35 td's. Everything is in place for him to have his best season yet.
Have you seen their schedule?

Ravens twice

Bengals twice

Browns twice (good D)

Seahawks

Cardinals

Rams

49ers (although their D could fall off a bit)

Broncos

Patriots (Belichick will have that D ready to play, especially if Brady doesn't play)

Those are 12 of their 16 games. I am not saying he won't have a good season, but a top 3 QB with that schedule? It will take a herculean effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ravens twice

Bengals twice

Browns twice (good D)

Seahawks

Cardinals

Rams

Broncos

Patriots (Belichick will have that D ready to play, especially if Brady doesn't play)

Those are 12 of their 16 games. I am not saying he won't have a good season, but a top 3 QB with that schedule? It will take a herculean effort.
And KC and SD which were the #2 and #4 passing defenses last season.

Ravens twice

Bengals twice

Browns twice (good D)

Seahawks

Cardinals

Rams

Broncos

I'm having a hard time with Big Ben in the top 5-6 of most rankings this year. Everyone is assuming he is just going to throw another 4900+ yards and 30+ TDs. Look at his career stats. Other than last season, the guy has never thrown more than 4328 yards. He matched his career high with 32 TDs, but otherwise has been in the 17-28 TD range his whole career.

I buy that the Steelers' offense will be good. But I see a decent likelihood that Big Ben finishes in the 4400 yard and 28 TD range, making him interchangeable with guys like Eli and Rivers. Where he is going currently in drafts, basically need him to repeat career highs for him to return on his draft pick. I think Manning and Brees offer much higher ceilings if they bounce back to their old form, and they're going around the same draft range as Big Ben. Am I missing something on him?

Ravens twice

Bengals twice

Browns twice (good D)

Seahawks

Cardinals

Rams

Broncos

I'm having a hard time with Big Ben in the top 5-6 of most rankings this year. Everyone is assuming he is just going to throw another 4900+ yards and 30+ TDs. Look at his career stats. Other than last season, the guy has never thrown more than 4328 yards. He matched his career high with 32 TDs, but otherwise has been in the 17-28 TD range his whole career.

I buy that the Steelers' offense will be good. But I see a decent likelihood that Big Ben finishes in the 4400 yard and 28 TD range, making him interchangeable with guys like Eli and Rivers. Where he is going currently in drafts, basically need him to repeat career highs for him to return on his draft pick. I think Manning and Brees offer much higher ceilings if they bounce back to their old form, and they're going around the same draft range as Big Ben. Am I missing something on him?
I agree that he is ranked too high and going to early for my tastes. The one thing that is missing from this analysis though, is that the Steelers D sucked last year, and (IMO) won't be much better this year. There is talk about how they have gotten younger, but they haven't gotten younger with proven players, and even though the new DC is basically going to continue with the same D they had, I don't see them winning a lot of low scoring games. If they are going to win games, they will need to score a lot to do that. That should make Ben's numbers higher than his career averages, and closer to what he did last year.

I've read a lot of reasons on the last page of this thread why it's not smart to assume Ben will be as good or better in 2015 than he was last year. These are the reasons why I think last year wasn't an aberration:

1. Todd Haley's offense;

2. OL improvement;

3. LaVeon Bell's emergence;

4. Martavus Bryant's emergence

5. Defense decline

I see all five of these factors continuing to remain in play this year.

I've read a lot of reasons on the last page of this thread why it's not smart to assume Ben will be as good or better in 2015 than he was last year. These are the reasons why I think last year wasn't an aberration:

1. Todd Haley's offense;

You need to unpack this one.

1. Todd Haley's offense;

You need to unpack this one.
Less hits on Ben.
Ok, I guess I'll take your word on it. Todd Haley's prior coaching history doesn't jump out to me as him being an offensive guru that is going to pump out high scoring offenses.

Users who are viewing this thread