What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Tate for non-Arian Foster owners (1 Viewer)

sgtrobo

Footballguy
So what are you doing with him?

Week 1, there are indications that Arian Foster might be a bit nicked up, so I play Ben Tate. He puts up 5 points.

Week 2, there are no indications that Foster is injured or gimpy or anything, so I bench Tate. He puts up 25 points.

Makes me want to pull my hair out. I know if Foster ever goes down, then Tate becomes a legit RB1 and possibly a top 5 FF RB. In the meantime, he's driving me nuts.

As it stands, I have Ray Rice, Doug Martin, and Marshawn Lynch, but the temptation to put Tate in is driving me nuts.

so what are people doing with him in redrafts if you don't have Arian Foster already?

So what are you doing with him?Week 1, there are indications that Arian Foster might be a bit nicked up, so I play Ben Tate. He puts up 5 points.Week 2, there are no indications that Foster is injured or gimpy or anything, so I bench Tate. He puts up 25 points.Makes me want to pull my hair out. I know if Foster ever goes down, then Tate becomes a legit RB1 and possibly a top 5 FF RB. In the meantime, he's driving me nuts.As it stands, I have Ray Rice, Doug Martin, and Marshawn Lynch, but the temptation to put Tate in is driving me nuts.so what are people doing with him in redrafts if you don't have Arian Foster already?
Personally, I only start him if I'm short on options. Looking at your other rbs, I'd leave him on the bench unless Foster is out for sure.

Like you said, he could put up 5 points or 25 points. There's no way of knowing as long as foster is healthy. I don't like taking that kind of risk in my lineup so if I was a Tate owner I'd try to trade him for something more stable. And if I couldn't get anything decent for him I'd put him on my bench and get out my Foster Voodoo Doll. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd only start him in games that HOU will be up big. He'll definitely get plenty of garbabe time.

If Arian ever goes down, he's going to come up huge.

starting over Fred Davis in my flex (has to be either RB or TE due to me already having 4 WRs in line up).

Hes a hard player to move since the only guy in the league that will give u value is the Foster owner; and most likely thier going to low ball you. Tate is way to talented to sell on the low end, hes going to a gig one day; either the Hou gig or somewhere else, I'm holding.

As someone who owns Foster, and passed on a Tate trade after week one, I am regretting it. It actually was a fair offer, but I was bull-headed and wanted to keep the player I had. I knew better in that I do not need for him to go off for 25 points, I just need him to be healthy and waiting...to me, that is his value to a Foster owner. For non-Foster owners, he kind of reminds me of McGahee, the one year he put up nice numbers behind Rice. You will get a couple of stinkers (but don't they all give us that) and he just tends to get enough points where he is a nice flex option in your 12 teamers.

'sgtrobo said:
So what are you doing with him?

Week 1, there are indications that Arian Foster might be a bit nicked up, so I play Ben Tate. He puts up 5 points.

Week 2, there are no indications that Foster is injured or gimpy or anything, so I bench Tate. He puts up 25 points.

Makes me want to pull my hair out. I know if Foster ever goes down, then Tate becomes a legit RB1 and possibly a top 5 FF RB. In the meantime, he's driving me nuts.

As it stands, I have Ray Rice, Doug Martin, and Marshawn Lynch, but the temptation to put Tate in is driving me nuts.

so what are people doing with him in redrafts if you don't have Arian Foster already?
Champagne problems.

'Sir Chadwick said:
I'd only start him in games that HOU will be up big. He'll definitely get plenty of garbabe time. If Arian ever goes down, he's going to come up huge.
I don't feel like looking this up to make sure I'm correct, but I think they were up really big in week 1 and he barely got any carries, and I think that he got most of his yards/TDs when the game was still within reach in week 2.I'm not saying that your logic is wrong; I'm just highlighting how much of a crapshoot of a FF prospect he seems to be.

You scooped up someone else's handcuff and you're upset he's not a solid/consistent fantasy contributor? Tell me more about it

You scooped up someone else's handcuff and you're upset he's not a solid/consistent fantasy contributor? Tell me more about it
no.I am interested in what others are doing with him. It's not so much an "upset" thing, because I have 3 legitimate starters at RB.

Ok, here's the thing(s) about this:

He's not a plug-n-play replacement for Foster and that is the biggest misconception with him. So many people talk about "If foster goes down, he's a RB1." He's not. And I don't say that to say he's not as good, I say that to try to steer you towards the right direction in what you should be looking for and that is "how he is used, why, and, most importantly, WHEN.

These two guys are both talented but foster is far more dynamic in how the Texans use him. So the first thing you look for in deciding on Tate is NOT "do you think the Texans will be up big" because A) that's hard to know and B)its the wrong thing to look for. Instead, you look for the teams that the Texans can run on between the tackles. So, against teams like the Steelers, NO. Against the Browns, Bucs, Titans, YES.

You also look for teams that the Texans will likely need to use the screen game on. If the texans DO need to use the screen game, that's bad news for Tate (again, Steelers, NO....Ravens, NO...Giants, NO,)

And finally, you look for early season warm-weather games. Regardless of the backs in the game, the Texans always rotate their backs more frequently when they are in Miami or JAX or Tampa or one of those places and its warm.

I wouldn't have a problem playing him at all this week against the Titans.

And Sweet Love is right; there is considerably more value if you are trading him away to the foster owner because the foster owner is the most likely person to be willing to give something for him based on the security (they will buy an insurance policy).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread