What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benny Cunningham, Rams RB (2 Viewers)

[SIZE=medium]Today from the ESPN Insider:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]St. Louis Ramshttp://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpostindex?blogname=st-louis-rams[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]: Stacy might not be a workhorse[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]While the Rams continue to list running back [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Zac Stacy[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] as the starter -- and he probably will be against the Vikings in Week 1 -- general manager Les Snead said on local radio this week that he expects the offense to go with the "hot hand" in a given week at running back. [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Benny Cunningham[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] started in Stacy's place in the third preseason game against Cleveland and both backs should get opportunities against Minnesota. Plan your fantasy rosters accordingly. -- Nick Wagoner [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]St. Louis Ramshttp://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpostindex?blogname=st-louis-rams[/SIZE][SIZE=medium]: Stacy might not be a workhorse[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]While the Rams continue to list running back [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Zac Stacy[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] as the starter -- and he probably will be against the Vikings in Week 1 -- general manager Les Snead said on local radio this week that he expects the offense to go with the "hot hand" in a given week at running back. [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]Benny Cunningham[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] started in Stacy's place in the third preseason game against Cleveland and both backs should get opportunities against Minnesota. Plan your fantasy rosters accordingly. -- Nick Wagoner [/SIZE]
Okay, now this just got a whole lot more interesting.

I don't think this tells us anything that we don't already know. If Stacy isn't better than Cunningham, he'll lose carries. I think those of us invested in Stacy think he's better than Cunningham, therefore he won't lose carries. The folks down on Stacy have to think Cunningham/Mason are better than Stacy to become the leading Rams rusher.

I don't think this tells us anything that we don't already know. If Stacy isn't better than Cunningham, he'll lose carries. I think those of us invested in Stacy think he's better than Cunningham, therefore he won't lose carries. The folks down on Stacy have to think Cunningham/Mason are better than Stacy to become the leading Rams rusher.
I think this tells me that I shouldn't drop Cunningham just yet if I see some juicy tidbit about another player on the wire. Given that Cunningham wasn't fully healthy last season, a statement like this from the GM tells me that they're going to give him a chance to run with the job at some point in the season. It's the GM's ### on the line due to all the strikeouts at RB thus far. You can be sure he will exhaust all options at his disposal to find a RB who can avg better than 4ypc.

I don't believe this is something we already knew. All I've heard is how Fisher likes to lean on one back and that Stacy was that back. This "hot hand" approach, is at least news to me. I also think Stacy is the type of grinder who relies on volume to get going. [SIZE=14.4444446563721px]Stacy's only 100+ yard games last year were when he had 26+ rushes. [/SIZE]Cunningham can show more with less touches which could bode well for him in the event that they rotate the two to see who gives them the best chance of winning. Not going to lie, I'm a bit more excited about my lottery ticket now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an Ellington owner that missed out on Dwyer so I decided to take a flyer on Cunningham. If he can win the job or at least be a lead in the committee he should be more valuable than Dwyer anyways. A lot of the Twitter guys I trust seem to be saying the same thing too.

There seems to be more and more Stacy red flags coming up every week.

I don't own Stacy or Cunningham, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't go acting like this news meant nothing. Stacy is on a short leash and I think it's time his owners owned up to the truth. Sometimes it hurts.

The increasingly common characterization of Zac Stacy as "not that talented," presumably based on his rookie-year 3.89 YPC, isn't exactly fair. His per-carry average was bogged down by a Kellen Clemens-quarterbacked "attack", yet Stacy still demonstrated true foundation-back traits while putting St. Louis' offense and fantasy owners on his back. Stacy is also more than functional in the passing game. Although there has been some fear of Benny Cunninghameating into Stacy's workload based on a preseason-game start, that notion was subsequently shot down by head coachJeff Fisher. Expect Stacy to open the season handling 20-plus touches per game, while Cunningham works in when Stacy needs breathers. From Eddie George to Chris Brown, and Travis Henry to Chris Johnson, Fisher has long been a loyal "one-back" coach, an approach that allows that runner to maintain an in-game rhythm. The Vikings will likely play better run defense under Mike Zimmer this season, but this isn't a daunting matchup for St. Louis' run game. Fire up Stacy as a borderline RB1. Cunningham is a solid handcuff.

Friday Update: Rams GM Les Snead apparently mentioned on the radio this week that he views St. Louis' backfield as a "hot-hand" situation, which can be a figure of speech, or could spell trouble for Stacy's workload. Cunningham should be owned in all 12-team leagues, and particularly by Stacy owners. I still view Stacy as an RB1/2 in this matchup. I'm in see-it-I'll-believe-it mode with Cunningham, who is a really good NFL backup behind a starter who's shown an ability to handle heavy workloads in a productive and effective manner for a long, sustained stretch. Stacy has demonstrated an ability to be a true bellcow NFL back.

The increasingly common characterization of Zac Stacy as "not that talented," presumably based on his rookie-year 3.89 YPC, isn't exactly fair. His per-carry average was bogged down by a Kellen Clemens-quarterbacked "attack", yet Stacy still demonstrated true foundation-back traits while putting St. Louis' offense and fantasy owners on his back. Stacy is also more than functional in the passing game. Although there has been some fear of Benny Cunninghameating into Stacy's workload based on a preseason-game start, that notion was subsequently shot down by head coachJeff Fisher. Expect Stacy to open the season handling 20-plus touches per game, while Cunningham works in when Stacy needs breathers. From Eddie George to Chris Brown, and Travis Henry to Chris Johnson, Fisher has long been a loyal "one-back" coach, an approach that allows that runner to maintain an in-game rhythm. The Vikings will likely play better run defense under Mike Zimmer this season, but this isn't a daunting matchup for St. Louis' run game. Fire up Stacy as a borderline RB1. Cunningham is a solid handcuff.

Friday Update: Rams GM Les Snead apparently mentioned on the radio this week that he views St. Louis' backfield as a "hot-hand" situation, which can be a figure of speech, or could spell trouble for Stacy's workload. Cunningham should be owned in all 12-team leagues, and particularly by Stacy owners. I still view Stacy as an RB1/2 in this matchup. I'm in see-it-I'll-believe-it mode with Cunningham, who is a really good NFL backup behind a starter who's shown an ability to handle heavy workloads in a productive and effective manner for a long, sustained stretch. Stacy has demonstrated an ability to be a true bellcow NFL back.
Interesting - although it is worth noting that Cunningham rushed for 5.6 YPC beind the same "attack". It's also worth noting that Fischer never "shot down" the notion that Cunningham would eat into Stacy's carries - he only shot down the questions about the start in the 3rd preseason game meaning that Stacy had been demoted. While Stacy might still be the "starter", I think more recent news is at least cause for concern for Stacy owners - and cautious optimism for Cunningham owners.

All a smokescreen by the Rams who are stealthily preparing to unleash the Shaun Hill/Tavon Austin/Brian Schottenheimer aerial circus on the league.

Call me a dreamer, but I could see Austin exploding for several catches and maybe upward of fifty yards.

A lot is going to depend on how Stacy starts the game. If his first 5 carries go for 11 yards or whatever, then Cunningham comes in and busts a 20 yarder, it might be nervous stuff for Stacy owners.

This is get out ahead of it time. Although, in the best of leagues he should already be rostered. All it takes is one good bounce and he will soon be plastered all over NFL Network fantasy programming and on top of everyone's waiver wire list. Once he's there, good luck trying to acquire him. Again, I know we want to see Stacy succeed here, but you can never have too much water during times of disaster.

I held Cunningham rather than pick up Dwyer and Josh Gordon.

I don't think Dwyer will amount to anything worthwhile ... in fact Stephan Taylor might be a better play.

But if Josh Gordon's suspension is reversed ... Cunningham better total for 1500 yds and 10 tds

When Fisher was asked why Cunningham started the third preseason he said that they already knew what they had in Stacy.

I would say that they knew they had a reliable durable back who wasn't a fumbler. Coaches like these combination of qualities.

The ypc is the catch point. It was below average last year. Which leads to whether the Rams are looking to see whether Cunningham offered more in terms of big plays and higher ypc and whether he could be durable and protect the ball. His pass protection skills have not been an issue.

Camp reports were that Cunningham came back this year bigger, stronger and faster. He's getting close to being two years removed from his injury. I would venture then that his injury may have held him back some last year.

It looks like a competition between the two with Mason lurking and developing and waiting an opportunity.

if cunningham is the better of the 2 backs, why didn't he beat him out last season?
Cunningham tore the patellar tendon in his knee I believe in the season before the draft. Didn't participate in the combine, could only bench on his pro day. Large part of the reason he went undrafted. Similar to the general perception that it takes a year to fully recover from ACL surgery, It's quite possible that he wasn't all the way back from his knee injury last season.

When Fisher was asked why Cunningham started the third preseason he said that they already knew what they had in Stacy.

I would say that they knew they had a reliable durable back who wasn't a fumbler. Coaches like these combination of qualities.
I think this is a pretty good assessment of Stacy. It's why, even though I've got Cunningham sitting on the end of my roster in a couple of leagues, I think Cunningham may not be able to get past being an 8-10 carry a game COP back. Stacy had 47 first downs on 250 carries last year, which is above-average--not elite, but on certainly par with other mid-tier workhorses like Leveon Bell, Morris, and Gore. Combine that with one fumble on 275 total touches, and you've got a guy who is going to be hard to completely unseat even if he stays around 4 YPC.

if cunningham is the better of the 2 backs, why didn't he beat him out last season?
Cunningham tore the patellar tendon in his knee I believe in the season before the draft. Didn't participate in the combine, could only bench on his pro day. Large part of the reason he went undrafted. Similar to the general perception that it takes a year to fully recover from ACL surgery, It's quite possible that he wasn't all the way back from his knee injury last season.
Spot on.

Buffaloes said:
so does this put Cunningham somewhere in the Lamar Miller/Knowshon Moreno/Mark Ingram range for the season? Higher? Lower? I have never seen him play, but that team and OL is really primed for a good running game imo.
Floor is lower than those guys but ceiling is higher.

Rams RBs coach Ben Sirmans said that he "wouldn’t be surprised" if Zac Stacy took the first snaps in Sunday's opener against the Vikings.

Sirmans added that the final depth chart is "still to be determined." The fact Stacy has yet to be named the starter, however, confirms Benny Cunningham is going to have a role in the offense. The Rams are expected to go with a "hot hand" approach at running back, and could use a committee of Stacy and Cunningham. Stacy is borderline RB1 for Week 1, but there remains concern about his workload this season.

K, I'm oficially worried now. Either Stacy is worse than I think he is, or Cunningham is better. Better for the Rams and both owners if it's just Cunningham being better. There's probably enough carries for both to have value. If Stacy is worse, then us Stacy owners are in trouble.

K, I'm oficially worried now. Either Stacy is worse than I think he is, or Cunningham is better. Better for the Rams and both owners if it's just Cunningham being better. There's probably enough carries for both to have value. If Stacy is worse, then us Stacy owners are in trouble.
One of the best posts I've seen come out of a Stacy owner's mouth in this thead.

Rams RBs coach Ben Sirmans said that he "wouldnt be surprised" if Zac Stacy took the first snaps in Sunday's opener against the Vikings.

Sirmans added that the final depth chart is "still to be determined." The fact Stacy has yet to be named the starter, however, confirms Benny Cunningham is going to have a role in the offense. The Rams are expected to go with a "hot hand" approach at running back, and could use a committee of Stacy and Cunningham. Stacy is borderline RB1 for Week 1, but there remains concern about his workload this season.
That is a misleading post. Part of it is pulled from a story in today's STL paper and part is misleading conjecture from who knows where?

Stacy is the lead dog and nothing has changed except the buzz indicates that Cunningham is better equipped to help than anybody was last year. Yes, if Stacy plays badly or gets hurt he could lose time, but that is true for every back in the NFL.

Rams fan here.

Benny Cunningham looks like he's the most talented RB on the field for the Rams at all times. He's got the skillset of Zac Stacy but he's got the extra burst to turn 20 yarders into 40-50 yarders.

Stacy also had tendency to get banged up in almost every game. In that prime time game against the Seahawks last year, the Rams probably would have won with Stacy running so effectively, but he had to come off the field once they got inside the 10.

I see some people still holding out hope for Tre Mason, but the fact is he can't pass block. He may not even be dressing on Sundays if our ST coordinator Fassel decides that Trey Watts can contribute more on special teams.

If this continues it's going to open the door to a split. As a Stacy owner in multiple leagues, Benny Cunningham is sitting on my bench in all of them.
Good post.

What can be vexing for fantasy is a good thing from the Rams perspective, to have potentially three RBs capable of starting at some point (again, probably Mason's time will come in the future).

Below are the last four entries at Rotoworld for Cunningham, dating from mid-August. What team beat reporters Wagoner and Thomas wrote aligns with what you are describing, he does sound like an ascendant player. Even last year, Cunningham flashed more burst than Stacy. He should, since his listed weight is lighter. Same with Mason. All three RBs have varying degrees of power and elusiveness, but Stacy is more about power, with Cunningham and Mason more about elusiveness, imo. Cunningham is in between size-wise, compared to Stacy and Mason, offering better size than Mason and better elusiveness than Stacy, so that may be a more effective combo of traits and attributes for a RB. Last year he was returning from a torn patellar tendon, and could have regained additional burst and explosiveness in the year since, which fits the latest reports.

The only somewhat mixed message in the recent Roto reports is making Cunningham a kick returner. Probably if he becomes the starter, they take him off that detail. I can't think of too many starting RBs that return kicks (though Spiller is set to in BUF). Patterson did last year, Harvin has, it is easier to think of starting WRs that have done it. That goes for punt returners, too (Austin did last year, Antonio Brown will continue to this season, many examples at that position/return-type). Knile Davis is a kick returner, though he is clearly a backup. Maybe this is common, for backup RBs.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8953/benny-cunningham

1) ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner suggests second-year RB Benny Cunningham "could play a more integral role" in St. Louis' offense this season.

Cunningham topped 5.0 YPC as a rookie and can pass protect, solidifying him as the clear-cut backup to Zac Stacy, ahead of raw third-rounder Tre Mason. While we don't see Cunningham as a serious threat to Stacy's carries, this is a reminder that he's the preferred handcuff over Mason at this stage of August. Aug 14 - 11:29 AM

2) Benny Cunningham made a surprise start in Saturday's regular-season dress rehearsal against the Browns, rushing five times for 32 yards.

He caught one pass for six yards. Zac Stacy checked in on the Rams' second series, but Cunningham out-touched him 6-5. As has been the case all preseason, Cunningham was more productive than Stacy, out-gaining him 38-11. For the month of August, Cunningham now has 15 carries for 80 yards (5.3 YPC) to Stacy's 15-39-2.6. Stacy should still open the season as the Rams' starter, but Cunningham is his clear backup, and perhaps not terribly far behind on the depth chart. Beat man Nick Wagoner says Cunningham has been "sharper" than Stacy throughout camp and preseason. Aug 23 - 10:44 PM

3) The St. Louis Post-Dispatch says that "if Benny Cunningham isn't challenging Zac Stacy for the starting job, he's certainly pushing him for playing time."

Beat man Jim Thomas says Cunningham has been the best Rams running back this preseason, echoing similar statements from ESPN's Nick Wagoner. This comes on the heels of Stacy playing off the bench behind Cunningham in the third preseason game. While we fully expect Stacy to hold the starting job and be the main back, he can't afford to lose too much volume. He averaged just 3.89 yards per carry and 5.42 yards per reception last year. Cunningham is worth a late-round flier until the uncertainty here shakes out. Aug 28 - 11:36 AM

4) Benny Cunningham is listed as the No. 1 kickoff returner and No. 2 running back on the Rams' updated depth chart.

The new depth chart was released Tuesday. Zac Stacy remains atop the tailback pecking order, while Cunningham will work in as a breather back and focus on special teams. Cunningham and Chris Givens will line up deep on kickoffs. Sep 2 - 7:33 PM

* Cunningham is an unknown commodity in a larger role at this level (so was Stacy this time last year). Other than the CHI game (13 carries), he never had more than 7 carries in 14 games during 2013.

Favorable scouting projection for Cunningham vs. the STL RB field, from BEFORE the 2013 season. My only question is he doesn't seem to be factoring in level of competition at all, Cunningham might not have been as productive in the SEC, and Stacy may have been more so playing in Middle-Tennessee State's conference. I'm not sure where the 40 time came from (supposedly about 4.50, but estimated faster if not rehabbing the knee injury during the pre-draft process, his 26 BP reps is very strong for a RB, like Stacy), not sure he ran one at the Combine or even at a pro day. He was injured multiple times in college, a torn patellar tendon in 2012, and broken foot that caused him to miss 4-5 games in 2011. Maybe he would have been drafted if not for that?

http://sportswunderkind.com/benny-cunningham-the-rams-darkhorse-backfield-candidate-2/

Cunningham seems to have gained weight, I think he is now listed at about 217 lbs. (5'10"). So did Zac Stacy, who was listed in college at close to the weight Cunningham is now, and is now 224 lbs. (5'8", so noticeably thicker, if he was 5'10" and proportionately heavier, he would be about at 235 lbs.). Carlos Hyde is considered a big back (6'0" 235 lbs.), as are Jeremy Hill (6'1" 238 lbs.) and Andre Williams (5'11", 234 lbs.). Again, if Stacy were lengthened to the height dimensions of Williams, Hyde and Hill, and made proportionately heavier, he would be around 240-245-250 lbs. He was specifically asked by STL to gain weight, perhaps thinking it would enable him to better handle the pounding, but maybe it has counterproductively slowed him down? Ray Rice has been in the news for this. We won't see him play in the 2014 regular season until the third game due to supension, but he was much faster and quicker in 2012, and while there were OL problems and the wheels fell off the offense last year, he looked more sluggish and plodding when he was reportedly 10-15 lbs. heavier (we will find out of it was just accelerated skill erosion, not weight gain, and he is no longer the same back he was even just two years ago). Stacy is strong (Fisher stated in the Summer he was able to BP 500 lbs.), but did show some explosiveness at his combine. I think he was one of the best performers and about top 3 from the RB position group in both the BP and cone drill, probably an unusual combination, and had a 10'6" broad jump at his pro day. Some of these measureable don't fit the profile of a plodder.

Stacy had 250 carries as a rookie, with 1 carry in the first month, he may have led the league in carries per game after the first month. Than we have a situation where STL may want to run more (drafted Robinson and Mason, when they could have gone in a different direction both times). If they move from a 45% to 50% run/pass ratio, like SEA and SF (top two in the NFL on a percentage basis, though it helps to be in the lead or at least close in score to do that, it awaits to be seen if STL can execute what they intend), clearly they need to get a second RB more involved than last year, whoever it is (imo, it is a given there will be some form of RBBC, the question is the distribution of carries). If Stacy maintains the work horse role, and cedes a few carries to Cunningham (or Mason), to about 18 carries a game, he could still preserve a lot of his value. If Cunningham outplays Stacy, even if he doesn't actually supplant him but pushes for something like an even split of 12-15 carries, that will definitely hurt Stacy, but could still potentially offer some value for where Cunningham was taken. If Cunningham does quicky pass Stacy on the depth chart and dispatches him as the feature RB, he could end up being quite the steal.

** What are the chances you estimate Cunningham pushes for a lead role in a RBBC, or even becomes the feature RB?
I thought he was a tomato can Bob

Where did you have him ranked among the RB class of '13?

Some scouting services I saw last year had him in the 40s and 50s for his position.

Who do you think leads STL in carries in 2014?

The biggest thing that confuses me is....if Cunningham is the better player, why isn't he the RB1 for the Rams? He had time to win the job outright this preseason.

The biggest thing that confuses me is....if Cunningham is the better player, why isn't he the RB1 for the Rams? He had time to win the job outright this preseason.
Who says he didn't? Coaches are coy with the depth chart at the start of the season all the time. Heck, I don't think Alfred Morris was announced as the starter until game day.

If it was only this coach talk I wouldn't be worried, but when you couple it with the fact that Cunningham started pre season game 3? Worried.

FYI, PFF did a big comparison article on these two that I've yet to read. Took a flier on Cunningham as my RB5 based largely on the information/gist/direction of this thread.

If you guys have a subscription at PFF, it might be well worth the read.

Thanks for your insight guys. With hope, I may have lucked into a contributor this year. Hands down, reading this thread, I believed he had more upside than any of the "break glass in case of emergency" handcuffs/backups left late in the draft. Actually, I'd be happy with some RBBC. If he somehow becomes the starter, wow, talk about a homerun!

But, for RB5, I like this guy a lot. Thanks, Shark Pool!

Wasn't Benny on the team last year? Not sure why things will be different.
33% - Nothing changes and Stacy is the "Bell Cow" spelled by Cunningham

33% - RB by committee and they ride the "hot hand" ...The Rams look like they are designed to run and will probably be a top 5 team in rush attempts this year (~500) so like the Bills, they may have 2 guys fantasy worthy

33% - Cunningham is more often the "hot hand" / "New Bell Cow" spelled by Stacy

I own both of them and have seen them in college, preseason and regular season. Benny has always looked like the better runner. There were also many reports last year about BC being better in camp. That they kept him and the reports are there again it's clear that someone on the coaching staff has BC as their guy. I don't think this is a competition amongst the RB's as much as it's a difference of opinion of the people in charge.

Wasn't Benny on the team last year? Not sure why things will be different.
33% - Nothing changes and Stacy is the "Bell Cow" spelled by Cunningham 33% - RB by committee and they ride the "hot hand" ...The Rams look like they are designed to run and will probably be a top 5 team in rush attempts this year (~500) so like the Bills, they may have 2 guys fantasy worthy

33% - Cunningham is more often the "hot hand" / "New Bell Cow" spelled by Stacy
That's my thinking as well. There's been too much smoke around this situation for nothing to change, and a very good chance for Cunningham to at least end up in a Fred Jackson situation, with a small chance to win the job outright. The Rams are going to run a lot this year.

I waived my #3 RB DeAngelo Williams for him this morning because the upside is too good here.

Howard Balzer... who, admittedly, is kind of a chump... Tweeted out a cryptic Tweet that there could be "an interesting change to a starter on offense". I'm not saying it's the RB situation, but I'd tend to lean that way with the news that's come out recently about "riding the hot hand". Just something to monitor.

https://twitter.com/HBalzer721

Howard Balzer... who, admittedly, is kind of a chump... Tweeted out a cryptic Tweet that there could be "an interesting change to a starter on offense". I'm not saying it's the RB situation, but I'd tend to lean that way with the news that's come out recently about "riding the hot hand". Just something to monitor.

Sounds like one of those phony psychics trying to tell a vague fortune that applies to everyone. He could say "there could be a devastating injury week 1" and it would be just as helpful/accurate.

Sounds like one of those phony psychics trying to tell a vague fortune that applies to everyone. He could say "there could be a devastating injury week 1" and it would be just as helpful/accurate.
Well, I disagree with that. He has connections within the organization. This isn't a guessing game.

Well, I disagree with that. He has connections within the organization. This isn't a guessing game.
oh really?

Users who are viewing this thread