What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2014 (1 Viewer)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to people that recommended Sturgill Simpson. I'm not a big country fan, but that's a hell of an album.

Andrew Bird – Things Are Really Great Here, Sort Of... - just stumbled over this one today. Haven't really dived deep yet (although I can report, there is whistling). More surprised this was out and available and did not really hear about it.

The Clientele - Suburban Light - hadn't heard anything from these guys in a while, at least not anything noteworthy (2007 God Save the Clientele probably the last time I checked in)
A new album from Bird probably would have been a bigger deal if it wasn't a cover album.

Suburban Light is just a reissue of a compilation of The Clientele's oldest songs. Still nothing new since 2010.

I might be the only person that isn't loving Parquet Courts...I liked the last album better.
you're not alone, I can't get into them either for some reason.

Has Curtis Harding's "Soul Power" been mentioned in here yet? I've really been digging on that one lately.

The Muscle Shoals documentary on Netflix is really superb. The ending bogs down with a lot of the musically inferior acts of the 1970's, but the amount of amazing early #### that came out of there, wow.

Highly recommend A Sunny Day in Glasgow's new album, Sea When Absent. Wouldn't normally be my thing, but it's hooked me.
is that the kinda ethereal, layered chick vocal thing? cocteau twins meets blur kinda?
Pretty good description. I'd say more like meets My Bloody Valentine? I don't know. It's cool. Sort of all over the place. Lots of great moments, but they eschew the verse-chorus, verse-chorus thing. A maze of beautiful voices and instrumentation.

Highly recommend A Sunny Day in Glasgow's new album, Sea When Absent. Wouldn't normally be my thing, but it's hooked me.
is that the kinda ethereal, layered chick vocal thing? cocteau twins meets blur kinda?
Pretty good description. I'd say more like meets My Bloody Valentine? I don't know. It's cool. Sort of all over the place. Lots of great moments, but they eschew the verse-chorus, verse-chorus thing. A maze of beautiful voices and instrumentation.
:thumbup: will give a listen- I think I have some of their earlier stuff on my Spotify "I like this so will dump into one giant playlist because I'm too lazy to separate it out into different neato titled playlists"

The Muscle Shoals documentary on Netflix is really superb. The ending bogs down with a lot of the musically inferior acts of the 1970's, but the amount of amazing early #### that came out of there, wow.
Caught it by chance on PBS flipping through the channels. Great documentary. Any music fan should check it out.

Caught it by chance on PBS flipping through the channels. Great documentary. Any music fan should check it out.
my brain sucks... I just remembered I saw a bit of some kind of THIS IS GOGO movie on PBS late night recently. Had that Lawrence Welk Show production value to it with lots of bright colors, super-duper pointy bras and matching outfits for bands.

google tells me it was this: http://cinema-crazed.com/blog/2014/06/04/go-go-mania-1965/

strange time for music- lots of completely schlock pop bands (for the time... horrible) along with the Beatles, Yardbirds, etc.

reminds me of Velocity Girl. Good find

New Circulatory System, Mosaics Within Mosaics, is pretty rad. Ex-Olivia Tremor Control guy, Will Cullen Hart. Really trippy Beatles-esque pop.

Some will probably like Strand of Oaks' Heal. Thought it was decent. J. Mascis rips on the first track.

The Mastodon is good, different. Evokes the most recent Baroness to me. Kind of a mainstream accessibility they've never had before, and I wouldn't have expected, especially given how long Mastodon's been around. I like it, but it doesn't have the killer drum sound that kept bringing me back to Yellow & Green.

Funny, I thought Baroness was more or less a Mastodon wannabe back in the day, and now they've switched.

I don't think many of you guys like this genre, but the Architects album is great. If you liked Deafheaven, it's similar but more straightforward in song structure.

I think I was all alone in like How To Dress Well's last album (which I wanted to slap around in a... sexual kinda way).

The new album is really good- less atmospheric/cool-kid, and more straight ahead featuring his white guy r&b vocals in a good way.

edit... I'm all the way through, and its' still good... but like the last one- I have to be in the right mood, and that mood has to stick throughout the length of the album. For me, his stuff is better on a mix than listened to in one sitting.

Users who are viewing this thread