What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Goal Line Runner You Ever Saw (1 Viewer)

Unfortunately, the statistics and data are not there to support any possible RB prior to 2003. Fortunately for us we have Footballguys.com and moving forward we can review the past from the future!

Upon review of the past that we can review [2003, 2004, 2005] Priest Holmes and Shaun Alexander are heads and tails above the rest of the pack with nearly a 60% success rate from inside the 5!

You guys are too young.

This discussion begins and ends with two names - Jim Taylor and Earl Campbell.

_4_,

In my first post for this thread, I mentioned several great RB's from the past ...

Jim Brown

Earl Campbell

Pete Johnson

John Riggins

Without data to support their ability to respond on the goal-line I feel unable to adequately continue to promote them ...

This why I have resorted to promoting Alexander and Holmes who have superior performance compared with their peers in the last 3 years.

I would also be interested to see the performance statistics of guys like Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Chuck Foreman, Jim Taylor, Lenny Moore, Joe Perry, Tom Matte, and Dan Towler ...

All of these guys were quality RB's. I have seen most live on TV and some on video, but do our perceptions match their performance on the goal line?

_4_,

In my first post for this thread, I mentioned several great RB's from the past ...

Jim Brown

Earl Campbell

Pete Johnson

John Riggins

Without data to support their ability to respond on the goal-line I feel unable to adequately continue to promote them ...

This why I have resorted to promoting Alexander and Holmes who have superior performance compared with their peers in the last 3 years.

I would also be interested to see the performance statistics of guys like Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, Chuck Foreman, Jim Taylor, Lenny Moore, Joe Perry, Tom Matte, and Dan Towler ...

All of these guys were quality RB's. I have seen most live on TV and some on video, but do our perceptions match their performance on the goal line?
I can't do the search right now, but I bet there are stats on the most "1 yard TD's". The problem there though is that guys like Allen and Emmitt have a ton, but it doesn't count how many times it took them 2 or 3 tries to get it....which was plenty (don't let time cloud your memories). Campbell and Taylor DESTROYED the defenders trying to stop them. They were both animals.

I've seen them all in the last 40 years, and I'd have to say Bettis is the best goal line rusher I ever saw
:goodposting: Bettis was flat out remarkable. If I needed 2 yards and i had to pick one running back in history, I might well take Bettis. With one step he generated more power than most running backs could with 3, but somehow he still managed to find seams with that big frame.
:lmao: :lmao: You are insane. Bettis is not the best RB at anything.

The best GL back I've ever seen was Marcus Allen (& I've been watching football a long time). He had an uncanny ability to split defenders & "knife" his way into the end zone.

i remember the bowl game where sam the bam scored like 4 TDs (but forget opponent... you could guess ohio state or michigan & be right more often than not regarding the Big 10 at that time... edit - guess it wasn't rose bowl)... most or all goal line plunges...

one of the most exciting plays in football is when the RB vaults, & a LB does, too, they have a mid-air collision & whoever gets best of it determines whether it is TD or not... :)

* here is game blurb (from top 100 college games of all time site)... forgot cunningham played pivotal role in integration of football teams in south... through his dominating performance)...

No. 94 - The Tide, they are a changing

USC 42 Alabama 21   September 12, 1970

It wasnt the greatest game of all-time as an average Trojan team beat Alabama at Birminghams Legion Field. The game was of historic significance as Bear Bryants Crimson Tide was, as they had always been, made up of all white players, as the University wasn't ready to integrate. When Trojan running back Sam Bam Cunningham, an African-American, ran wild on the Tide and black quarterback Jimmy Jones had a good game, the University of Alabama finally succumbed and realized that the times were actually changing and to compete, theyd have to integrate their teams. They did and Alabama rolled through the 1970s. As rumor has it, Bear Bryant asked USC head coach John McKay if he could see Cunningham after the game. Bryant took Cunningham into the Tide locker room and said to his team, This is Sam Cunningham. This is what a football player looks like."

Historical Significance: Many like to quip that Sam Cunningham did more in one game for integration in the South than Martin Luther King was able to accomplish in a decade. From a football perspective, this game helped to integrate many teams in the South
Great story...heard it many years agoJimmy Jones, Clarence Davis and Sam Cunningham...

You think Bear really brought Sam into his locker room?
Yes, he did. Bear was known for doing things like this after games...usually heading over to the opposing teams locker room and congratulating the kids on winning.McKay and Bryant were very close friends.

Also worth noting that while Coach Bryant was slow to break the color barrier compared to the West Coast, he was the first to break it in the SEC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread