What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Movie Openings (1 Viewer)

The best movie endings thread got me thinking about movie openings, as some movies named for best ending (like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Citizen Kane) could probably get mentioned for best opening too.  

But for best opening, I'd go with another one of Orson Welles' films: Touch of Evil.
You spry SOB, I see what you did.

Saving Private Ryan 

Goodfellas

Raiders

The Searchers

Last edited by a moderator:
Double Indemnity is pretty great

Yes, I killed him. I killed him for 
money -- and a woman -- and I didn't 
get the money and I didn't get the 
woman. Pretty, isn't it? 

Waltz was so great in that movie.
One of the best acting jobs I've ever seen.  How he can just flip his brain between 2 (or was it 3, or even 4) languages like that is crazy.  Pitt wasn't bad in that role, either.  A bit over acted, but still very good. 

One of the best acting jobs I've ever seen.  How he can just flip his brain between 2 (or was it 3, or even 4) languages like that is crazy.  Pitt wasn't bad in that role, either.  A bit over acted, but still very good. 
Landa: Are you mad? What have you done? I made a deal with your generals for that man's life!

Raine: Yeah, they made that deal. but they don't give a #### about him. They need you.

Landa: You'll be shot for this!

Raine: Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before.

Having re-watched Suspiria last weekend, I'm throwing it out there.  The lighting and that creepy soundtrack set a mood that draws you in.  

Double Indemnity is pretty great

Yes, I killed him. I killed him for 
money -- and a woman -- and I didn't 
get the money and I didn't get the 
woman. Pretty, isn't it? 
I know you said that no one wrote a last line like Billy Wilder in the other thread.  We can probably just strike the word "last line" and say that no wrote like Billy Wilder (granted Double Indemnity was with Chandler, but Some Like It Hot and Sunset Blvd both in the opening scene mix too).  

This is a very passionate topic of mine, so...

1. Pulp Fiction (my personal top movie of all time)

2.  Kill Bill (1 and 2)

3. Inglorious Basterds

4. Reservoir Dogs

5. Jackie Brown
For opening scenes?  The IG scene is an all timer regardless of when it occurs in the film.

There's a movie called Anarchy Parlor that a buddy of mine produced that has a cool opening scene.  There's a long tracking shot that for some reason just resonated with me.

Check it out if you like Saw-like movies.

Trainspotting was a grabber. choose...

dammit... I think Fallen Angels had a great opening scene, but I can't remember if it happened first or just near the beginning.

I know you said that no one wrote a last line like Billy Wilder in the other thread.  We can probably just strike the word "last line" and say that no wrote like Billy Wilder (granted Double Indemnity was with Chandler, but Some Like It Hot and Sunset Blvd both in the opening scene mix too).  
What a trio: Chandler, Wilder and the original Cain story. 

Definitely Raiders.

Also came to mind:

Mad Max Fury Road - Some people didn't care for this movie (they are wrong). Opening to this was just amazing.

Spy Who Loved Me (or whatever one ends with him skiing off the mountain)

Full Metal Jacket

Saving Private Ryan

A ton more I'm not thinking of.

Reservoir Dogs

"Like a Virgin"

Users who are viewing this thread