What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best time to enter a contest to avoid the sharks (1 Viewer)

dmac37

Footballguy
It is starting to look like right before the 1:00pm Sunday kickoff may be the best time to enter a contest. From noon until kickoff there is such a heavy influx of players entering games I'm thinking this may be the best time to avoid a heavy shark % in games. I usually don't see the top names in the industry entering these contests vs them being very heavy at all price points during the week.

Do you think there is any truth to this?

I only enter single entry cash games so these are the ones I'm referring to.

Just trying to get a gauge on the timing of when to enter the contests and I seem to find that entering within the last hour before Sunday kickoff may be advantageous to avoiding the sharks???

Tuesdays or Wednesdays are best.

-Some of those lineups are merely place holders and aren't updated with the latest info on Sunday morning.

The best info comes out late in the week. By Saturday and Sunday the lineups are well thought out and researched. Sunday before kickoff is the worst time to enter IMO. If you do your own research, locking in on Thursday is absolutely the way to go.

enter single entry contest only....

or max 5 entry contest

max entry 200 is stupid.
Max entry 200 isn't stupid. Its just playing under a different set of rules.

I tend to enter contests throughout the week as I prefer the 100 man 50/50s and only play $1 - $2 and look to get into about 100-200 of them per slate. Across every sport there tends to be a constant distribution. The contests I entered earliest tend to have the lowest cut lines and then as I scroll through the contests (and theyre organized by time when they were posted) the cutlines tend to tick up.

IMO if youre only entering a small number of games do it at the very beginning of the week. Even enter more than you really want to play if youre unsure what games you want, then later in the week delete the games you dont want to play and edit the lineups of the ones you do once better information is available. Really though, the benefit is marginal (sometimes the margins matter though). Some games like NHL DFS can have 10-20% differences in the scores between a 50/50 and the big double up, but for football the difference is rarely more than 5% from what Ive seen between similar contests.

NixonMask said:
I tend to enter contests throughout the week as I prefer the 100 man 50/50s and only play $1 - $2 and look to get into about 100-200 of them per slate. Across every sport there tends to be a constant distribution. The contests I entered earliest tend to have the lowest cut lines and then as I scroll through the contests (and theyre organized by time when they were posted) the cutlines tend to tick up.

IMO if youre only entering a small number of games do it at the very beginning of the week. Even enter more than you really want to play if youre unsure what games you want, then later in the week delete the games you dont want to play and edit the lineups of the ones you do once better information is available. Really though, the benefit is marginal (sometimes the margins matter though). Some games like NHL DFS can have 10-20% differences in the scores between a 50/50 and the big double up, but for football the difference is rarely more than 5% from what Ive seen between similar contests.
I should have been more specific, cut line variance is what I was alluding to. I only play Draft Kings NFL so I can alter lineups at any time. Usually I create a dummy place holder lineup early in the week that I can enter at any time and alter up until each kick off.

In my opinion there is such a high volume of people entering the single entry contests in the hour before Sunday kickoff that I would think most are casual players and not filled with sharks. NixonMask identifies there are lower cutlines in contests earlier in the week- is this for FanDuel (fixed lineups) only or for any of the DFS contests?

Users who are viewing this thread