What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Betsy Devos....probably going to need her own thread. (1 Viewer)

Yea, I don't know any teachers that disagree with this, but I would imagine the union would be against it.
Why? We have all kinds of vocational programs at my high school. The issue is to get a diploma in Michigan you must do the college prep stuff.

Why? We have all kinds of vocational programs at my high school. The issue is to get a diploma in Michigan you must do the college prep stuff.
Just guessing because it would disrupt "business as usual" but I have no real evidence.

Just guessing because it would disrupt "business as usual" but I have no real evidence.
Every public high school I know has all kinds of vocational ed. The union fought against the all college prep curriculum that Michigan instituted because we didn't think it was best for kids. Of course that got spun as teachers union doesn't want all kids going to college because they are lazy or evil or something. 

Every public high school I know has all kinds of vocational ed. The union fought against the all college prep curriculum that Michigan instituted because we didn't think it was best for kids. Of course that got spun as teachers union doesn't want all kids going to college because they are lazy or evil or something. 
Out here it's being pushed out of schools.

Out here it's being pushed out of schools.
Yeah it got squeezed hard here because of the State curriculum that was put in place 8 years ago. It's smaller than it was, but it hasn't gone away completely. Where do you live?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it got squeezed hard here because of the State curriculum that was put in place 8 years ago. It's smaller than it was, but it hasn't gone away completely. Where do you live?
CA Bay Area.

Yea, the curriculum has gone so heavy towards college prep that it has displaced everything else

Private schools aren't necessarily religious.  But to a larger point, you're talking about what I'm talking about....choice.  If you prefer your child to go to public school you should have that choice.  If you want to send them to a Catholic school you should have that choice.  That's all I'm arguing here is that parents shouldn't be given one choice and told that's just the way it is.

Let parents choose.  We are the land of the free, let's start acting like it.
So, you're Pro-Choice?

You have a tie to the teachers union so I know you'll never come around.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing or to be confrontational, but it is what it is.  I'm simply trying to help neutral parties understand that this is a battle to provide parents with an opportunity to send their children to a school of their choosing.  This is a nightmare for someone with teachers union ties because it's essentially giving parents a choice of sending their kids to a school that is staffed with non-union personnel.
So the only people that can discuss what is best for public education are people that are not public educators?

I could care less if a parent can send their child to a school with non-union teachers.  Guess what, they can now. My daughter goes to a public school with exactly one staff member that is a union member.  What I care about is what the shifting of public funds to private schools will do to the vast majority of our schools.  

Since Michigan embraced the DeVos family’s ideas about choice, Michigan has steadily declined on the National Assessment of Educational Progress.

In 2003, Michigan ranked 28th among the states in fourth-grade reading; the latest results, in 2015, showed that Michigan had dropped to 41st.

In 2003, Michigan ranked 27th in fourth- grade math; by 2015, it had declined to 42nd among the states.

Michigan has hundreds of charter schools. 80% of them are run by for-profit operators. The Detroit Free Press conducted a one-year review of the charter sector and concluded it was a $1 billion a year industry that operated without accountability or transparency and that did not produce better results than public schools. When the legislature tried to develop accountability standards for the charter industry in June 2016, Ms. DeVos successfully lobbied to block the legislation.
Diane Ravitch

She plans to retain her financial interests in Neurocore. In some ways, I would put it in the same category as Lumosity: some science and a few positive results.  But it's far from proven to be more effective than care as usual, which might be medication for ADHD or behavioral therapy for autism. Neurocore has centers in Michigan and is now expanding to Florida. Per the NYT article, a regimen of 30 sessions can cost up to $2,000 and BC/BS is denying coverage. 

DeVos might be hopeful and sincere about the Neurocore treatment - how does one know for sure? But the audience for Neurocore is huge and many parents are vulnerable while searching for solutions to their kid's problems. The FTC fined Lumosity $2,000,000 for exaggerated claims - would that have happened in a Trump administration? 

Said everyone to conservatives who thought an Obama presidency was the end of the world.  Yet we still got 8 straight years of crying and lies and fear mongering.  Now the same people who cried the loudest have the audacity to tell everyone to calm down and support our president.  So laughable.  
Even on our worst day it was absolutely nothing like what we're seeing now after Hillary's loss.  This is simply out of control.  You guys need to find another hobby.
Ha.....there isn't a significant difference so far.  I AM surprised at some of the "who" that are in the meltdown though.  It's disappointing.

Before education reform I think we could use "parental reform"

My older sister is a HS principal and the stories she tells of over bearing, not taking any responsibility or holding their children accountable for anything parents. 

I have worked in education for 25 years. Its all been in PRIVATE education.  And I can assure you that she is a complete atrocity.

There is no way anyone who votes for her to lead our country's Education system should ever get a contribution or vote again.  Those voting for Devos are either incompetent or lack a backbone.  It is that simple. 

Interesting that on the day this horribly unqualified women is confirmed, I'm sitting in a public hearing of the Texas State Board of Education, chaired by a woman that never attended public school and home schooled her kids, and was part of Dan Patrick's campaign.  

One of the resident creationists from the Discovery Institute is currently testifying. This guy is a 8th grade biology teacher.

we're so ####ed.

Interesting that on the day this horribly unqualified women is confirmed, I'm sitting in a public hearing of the Texas State Board of Education, chaired by a woman that never attended public school and home schooled her kids, and was part of Dan Patrick's campaign.  

One of the resident creationists from the Discovery Institute is currently testifying. This guy is a 8th grade biology teacher.

we're so ####ed.
On a happy note, it is nice to see about 50 members of the biology department from UT Austin along with a few dozen graduate students and researchers here to testify in support of the recommendations made by the streamlining committee.

On a happy note, it is nice to see about 50 members of the biology department from UT Austin along with a few dozen graduate students and researchers here to testify in support of the recommendations made by the streamlining committee.
Well the highlight was definitely the "fellow" from the Discovery Institute who, when asked about his background, said he had a PhD in English with an interest in logical phallacies.  Good thing I wasn't drinking anything at the time.

###king republicans. Its like you hate our country and that includes our children, so long as your team wins or you at least get to upset the other side.

Devos literally knows nothing about education or the education system, she proved that in her hearing.   jfc

3 votes short of blocking Betsy DeVos. If you live in ME, TN, AK, GA, UT, NC, WY, LA, KS, SC, or KY, call your Senators today!
I believe this still holds true. She's made it out of committee but still has to pass the full Senate, and Murkowski (AK) for one is wavering.

Plagiarism is all the rage with the Trumps. This repugnant slimebag is getting confirmed. Nothing is disqualifying nowadays. 
She's not a repugnant slimebag.  She's a privileged billionaire who has no background or experience with public education, and is totally unqualified for the position.  Frankly, because she is not a slimebag, I can't fathom why she would be willing to work for the Trump administration.  Her faith and values should cause her to pull back, and I'll be extremely disappointed if she doesn't do so.

Here is what is wrong with charter schools - they essentially want the privileges of private schools subsidized by the government, without the accountability of public schools, and without the demographics of public schools (yes, I firmly believe this is segregation by race, class or both).  You think public schools are bad?  Then by all means send your kid to a private school or a charter that is not funded with tax dollars.  It is your choice, and much like the choice made by private school parents it is a choice that has financial consequences.  That choice does not negate your responsibility to contribute to the schools that are making the community you live in better through the education of ALL youth.

3 votes short of blocking Betsy DeVos. If you live in ME, TN, AK, GA, UT, NC, WY, LA, KS, SC, or KY, call your Senators today!
I believe this still holds true. She's made it out of committee but still has to pass the full Senate, and Murkowski (AK) for one is wavering.
If you don't want to call here's a free fax service. https://faxzero.com/fax_senate.php

All you have to say is something like: Hello, my name is _____, one of your constituents in Your City, Your State, ZIP Code and I don't need a response to this fax. I am sending this fax to voice my opposition to the nomination of Betsy DeVos to the position of Secretary of Education and hope that you will vote accordingly. Thank you for your time."

If you don't want to call here's a free fax service. https://faxzero.com/fax_senate.php

All you have to say is something like: Hello, my name is _____, one of your constituents in Your City, Your State, ZIP Code and I don't need a response to this fax. I am sending this fax to voice my opposition to the nomination of Betsy DeVos to the position of Secretary of Education and hope that you will vote accordingly. Thank you for your time."
Fax?

in 2017?

She's not a repugnant slimebag.  She's a privileged billionaire who has no background or experience with public education, and is totally unqualified for the position.  Frankly, because she is not a slimebag, I can't fathom why she would be willing to work for the Trump administration.  Her faith and values should cause her to pull back, and I'll be extremely disappointed if she doesn't do so.
Pouring money into organizations that promote "conversion therapy" for gay kids is absolutely repugnant. She's also perched atop the Amway pyramid benefitting heavily from that company conning desperate rubes out of money that they can't afford to spend. She's no saint, guy.

Would you call Bernie Madoff's wife a good person if she know what he was doing, wasn't directly involved, but still took and spent the money? And spent it on undermining public education and promoting electro-shocking the gay out of teenagers?
I never said she was a good person.  Hell, I started the thread on how bad she is.  

Users who are viewing this thread