What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bettis = Hall Of Famer? (1 Viewer)

That's *exactly* the type of back we would be talking about--nothing special, just one who played for a long time (in our story). You would make them Hall of Famers (based on longevity alone). I wouldn't.
I'm reading this, and I don't think I'm being clear (even to myself!). :D What I hear you saying is that just any guy--a ham sandwich runningback, who never stands out in any one season (like in the hypothetical)--can be a Hall of Famer if he hangs on long enough to compile the requisite stats.

I don't agree with that.

The '99 games were the first three games Brian Griese ever started in the NFL. You expect a RB to continue to produce at an exceptionally high level while an in-essence rookie QB is starting games? If you had watched those games, you would have seen that teams were basically stacking the line and daring Griese to beat them.
Isn't that an implicit part of your Bubby Brister argument, though? Are you telling me that the 3 teams that didn't face Elway in 1998 didn't stack the line and dare Brister to beat them?
If they did, you are helping me make my point, as that would make Davis' numbers even more impressive in the three Elway-less '98 games.
The '99 games were the first three games Brian Griese ever started in the NFL. You expect a RB to continue to produce at an exceptionally high level while an in-essence rookie QB is starting games?
In the 6 games Bettis started with a rookie QB in 2004, he gained over 100 yards in every one of them. http://nfl.com/players/playerpage/1152/gamelogs/2004
That is true, but Roethlisberger wasn't your average NFL rookie QB and I think everyone will agree with that.
Glad to see people are finally coming around and saying that Bettis is a HOF'er. All you had to do it look at Sunday's game which the Steelers won because Bettis converted those 4th and inches. While a lot of guys could have converted those, not many RB's inspire the confidence of the coach as much as Bettis does in those situations.
Yeah, and the Steelers were one missed Roethlisberger tackle away from losing being down by 4 points with 1:01 to play
Fixed for accuracy.
Plus 3 timeouts.Everyone assumes the game is over if Harper scores, but it's not.
True, but I am not sure Pittsburgh could have mentally recovered from Indy taking the lead like that, plus the fact that the Steelers didn't throw the ball that much in the second half, so their passing game wasn't exactly hitting on all cylinders at that point. Still, it is a moot point because it didn't happen, but my point was that I wouldn't give Bettis too much credit for Sunday's win since his fumble almost cost them the game. The defense and Roethlisberger deserve the most credit for the win over the Colts.

That's *exactly* the type of back we would be talking about--nothing special, just one who played for a long time (in our story).  You would make them Hall of Famers (based on longevity alone).  I wouldn't.
I'm reading this, and I don't think I'm being clear (even to myself!). :D What I hear you saying is that just any guy--a ham sandwich runningback, who never stands out in any one season (like in the hypothetical)--can be a Hall of Famer if he hangs on long enough to compile the requisite stats.

I don't agree with that.
Can you give us a practical example of a Murrell/Duckett type of player who did make it 20 years? Unless you can, I don't think you can really bring these guys up as an argument against what we're saying.

The '99 games were the first three games Brian Griese ever started in the NFL.  You expect a RB to continue to produce at an exceptionally high level while an in-essence rookie QB is starting games?  If you had watched those games, you would have seen that teams were basically stacking the line and daring Griese to beat them.
Isn't that an implicit part of your Bubby Brister argument, though? Are you telling me that the 3 teams that didn't face Elway in 1998 didn't stack the line and dare Brister to beat them?
If they did, you are helping me make my point, as that would make Davis' numbers even more impressive in the three Elway-less '98 games.
I don't think I'm helping you make your point at all. If that's the argument about Brister (and I think it is), you can't really differentiate those games from the three poor Griese games.

Glad to see people are finally coming around and saying that Bettis is a HOF'er.  All you had to do it look at Sunday's game which the Steelers won because Bettis converted those 4th and inches.  While a lot of guys could have converted those, not many RB's inspire the confidence of the coach as much as Bettis does in those situations.
Yeah, and the Steelers were one missed Roethlisberger tackle away from losing being down by 4 points with 1:01 to play
Fixed for accuracy.
Plus 3 timeouts.Everyone assumes the game is over if Harper scores, but it's not.
True, but I am not sure Pittsburgh could have mentally recovered from Indy taking the lead like that, plus the fact that the Steelers didn't throw the ball that much in the second half, so their passing game wasn't exactly hitting on all cylinders at that point. Still, it is a moot point because it didn't happen, but my point was that I wouldn't give Bettis too much credit for Sunday's win since his fumble almost cost them the game. The defense and Roethlisberger deserve the most credit for the win over the Colts.
I don't think anyone is really giving Bettis a lot of credit for the win. At least not that I've seen. He had 15 carries for 38 yards and a TD in the 2nd half, and he ran effectively enough against a defense that knew the Steelers wanted to run the ball to kill a lot of clock in the 2nd half. Roethlisberger and the defense were clearly the stars of that game, and Bettis' biggest moment was carrying it 5 straight times from the 12 yard line for the TD that put them up 21-3.I agree that it wouldn't have been easy for the Steelers to score again, and they'd have had plenty of reasons to be mentally shot after losing a game like that after Polamalu's non-INT and Bettis' fumble.

That's *exactly* the type of back we would be talking about--nothing special, just one who played for a long time (in our story).  You would make them Hall of Famers (based on longevity alone).  I wouldn't.

I don't agree with that.
If you consider a guy who's top 5 in rushing yardage (as in the hypothetical) a "ham sandwich", then you must have REALLY high standards.

I don't agree with that.
Can you give us a practical example of a Murrell/Duckett type of player who did make it 20 years? Unless you can, I don't think you can really bring these guys up as an argument against what we're saying.
You're missing the point of the word *hypothetical*. . .But since I brought him up, let's use Adrian Murrell as a concrete example.

122 career games played, 5199 yards rushing. That's an average of 42.6 yards/game. YOUR argument is that if a guy like Murrell could just hang on long enough to compile the career stats (even though he was *never* a top-5 back in any of his seasons), you would put him in the Hall of Fame.

Of course Adrian Murrell didn't last that long, but you're saying that *if he did*, he should be in the Hall. I just wouldn't vote for a guy based on longevity.

The larger point (that has been made earlier) is that while Bettis has been very good, he was a top-5 rusher only 3 times in a 13-year career. He was never an MVP. Double-digit rushing TDs *twice*?? Twice, in a 13-year career for "one of the best big backs ever"?? He was never outstanding--usually very good, but never OUTSTANDING. And the past 4 years have really hurt his legacy, IMO. He has been hanging on, compiling (mostly TD) stats, at a whopping 3.5 yards/carry pace. For FOUR years. He's compiling, friends, and that is when I start to discount the career statistics and start looking at the body of work on a year-by-year basis. Which, while very good, is not Hall of Fame worthy.

With that said, I think he'll probably get in. But he won't be in my personal Hall of Fame. And I know that that will eat at him when he tries to sleep at night. :thumbup:

I don't agree with that.
You're missing the point of the word *hypothetical*. . .But since I brought him up, let's use Adrian Murrell as a concrete example.

122 career games played, 5199 yards rushing. That's an average of 42.6 yards/game. YOUR argument is that if a guy like Murrell could just hang on long enough to compile the career stats (even though he was *never* a top-5 back in any of his seasons), you would put him in the Hall of Fame.

Of course Adrian Murrell didn't last that long, but you're saying that *if he did*, he should be in the Hall. I just wouldn't vote for a guy based on longevity.

The larger point (that has been made earlier) is that while Bettis has been very good, he was a top-5 rusher only 3 times in a 13-year career. He was never an MVP. Double-digit rushing TDs *twice*?? Twice, in a 13-year career for "one of the best big backs ever"?? He was never outstanding--usually very good, but never OUTSTANDING. And the past 4 years have really hurt his legacy, IMO. He has been hanging on, compiling (mostly TD) stats, at a whopping 3.5 yards/carry pace. For FOUR years. He's compiling, friends, and that is when I start to discount the career statistics and start looking at the body of work on a year-by-year basis. Which, while very good, is not Hall of Fame worthy.

With that said, I think he'll probably get in. But he won't be in my personal Hall of Fame. And I know that that will eat at him when he tries to sleep at night. :thumbup:
I did get your point, but no running back CAN last that long compiling Murrel-like numbers. You don't last as long as Bettis without being in great physical shape and being a damn good football player. That's why he gets in. He's not a "ham sandwich" RB who just has longevity.

My God, what team do I root for again? :loco:

You don't last as long as Bettis without being in great physical shape and being a damn good football player. That's why he gets in. He's not a "ham sandwich" RB who just has longevity.
Okay, when I think of great physical shape, I now think of JEROME BETTIS. :P You're right--he is (was) a good football player for the first 9 years. But how does that square with his past 4? He is a role player, compiling stats. And his case for the Hall certainly doesn't look as strong without these past four years (and those 30-some TDs).

If you can look at his past 4 seasons--which accounts for almost 1/3 of his career--and say that this is part of a Hall of Fame career (simply because he was hanging around), then we'll agree to disagree I guess.

I do agree--he has impressive career numbers. But when I see how he got them, I'm just not that impressed. (Better than a ham sandwich, but not as good as prime rib!).

You're missing the point of the word *hypothetical*. . .
Actually, I was recognizing that the word "hypothetical" was giving you considerable trouble because you were bringing up the work of players who have had average to above average length careers and projecting them out over 20 years. It was time to serve a slice of the pie we know as reality to make a point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with this idea.  Now mind you, this is a hypothetical, but bear with me.  Ray Brown just retired this year after 20 NFL seasons.  Now let's say I was some mythical RB, who managed to pound out a meager 45 yards per game, for 16 games, for 20 years.  Thats a whole 720 yards per season.  But that would make me the 4th leading rusher in NFL history.  Do I deserve to be in the Hall of FAME because I could hang on for 20 seasons?
If you ask me, you certainly do. That's what I don't get about the Art Monk situation. Longevity in a game like football is truly amazing in my book. Carving out a 20 year career at any position in a game where the average career is so short should make almost anyone a hall of famer. I think the exceptions are clearly K, P, and anyone who doesn't play a lot during a substantial portion of that career (a hypothetical 20 year backup QB who sees action in 50 games over his career).
Okay, let's take a slice of your argument and apply it to Bettis. What counts as substantial? Like having 5 years of a 13-year career where a RB doesn't crack 1000 yards? Being a mere role player for around a third of your career? Can't we fairly ascribe those characteristics to Bettis?

I agree with this idea.  Now mind you, this is a hypothetical, but bear with me.  Ray Brown just retired this year after 20 NFL seasons.  Now let's say I was some mythical RB, who managed to pound out a meager 45 yards per game, for 16 games, for 20 years.  Thats a whole 720 yards per season.  But that would make me the 4th leading rusher in NFL history.  Do I deserve to be in the Hall of FAME because I could hang on for 20 seasons?
If you ask me, you certainly do. That's what I don't get about the Art Monk situation. Longevity in a game like football is truly amazing in my book. Carving out a 20 year career at any position in a game where the average career is so short should make almost anyone a hall of famer. I think the exceptions are clearly K, P, and anyone who doesn't play a lot during a substantial portion of that career (a hypothetical 20 year backup QB who sees action in 50 games over his career).
Okay, let's take a slice of your argument and apply it to Bettis. What counts as substantial? Like having 5 years of a 13-year career where a RB doesn't crack 1000 yards? Being a mere role player for around a third of your career? Can't we fairly ascribe those characteristics to Bettis?
No, not even close.Through the year 2001, Jerome Bettis had a brilliant stretch for a RB like him. He spent his best years on a Steelers team that ran the football at everyone even know everyone knew they were going to, and he still had success. He played on teams without a passing threat every year, and his TD numbers suffered because of it. He WAS the Steelers offense.

In 2001, he had 1,072 yards in 11 games, and I believe was either leading the league in rushing or close to it when he got injured.

In 2002, the Steelers tried to get Amos Zereoue more involved, but the offensive line suffered and the defense was terrible. He split carries pretty evenly with Zereoue that year.

In 2003, the Steelers' offensive line was decimated with injuries and the Steelers couldn't run the ball. That's why Maddox passed so much, even though that wasn't effective either.

And last year, at age 32, Bettis started for the entire second half of the season after Staley got hurt, rushing for 812 yards and 5 TDs in the last 8 games, very much factoring into the Steelers' 15-1 record.

It's scary how much better his numbers could've been, especially the TDs, if he hadn't spent so many years on offenses like the Steelers had with Tomczak and Stewart. As it stands, what he's accomplished is incredible, and even more incredible is that he's lasted this long with his running style. It's not like he doesn't have anything left, but at age 33 he just can't be "the guy" anymore.

What's substantial? I'd say 100 carries in a year is substantial for a RB. It's probably 50 catches for a WR. For most other positions, it would be something you'd likely measure mostly as playing time.

Bettis has a shot at the Hall, but it's a much slimmer chance than most think. I dobut he will make it, and he certainly will not be a first-ballot selection.
Doesn't the part in bold contradict a key part of your argument? I would imagine that his first year of eligibility might be his best chance, particularly if the guys who retired ahead of him who are ahead of him all get in before that happens and the guys ahead of him otherwise don't retire for another year or two. If it is such a slim chance, it seems to me that the perfect storm of few great candidates his first year might be the best way he would have of getting in.

I don't think Bettis geets near enough credit for how good he was the 1st 5 years of his career. The guy WAS explosive at that point and IMO near the top 5 RBs in the game. St.L was just a plan waste land.

Code:
+--------------------------+-------------------------+                 |          Rushing         |        Receiving        |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards    Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 1993 ram |  16 |   294   1429    4.9    7 |    26    244   9.4    0 || 1994 ram |  16 |   319   1025    3.2    3 |    31    293   9.5    1 || 1995 ram |  15 |   183    637    3.5    3 |    18    106   5.9    0 || 1996 pit |  16 |   320   1431    4.5   11 |    22    122   5.5    0 || [B]1997 pit |  15 |   375   1665    4.4    7 |    15    110   7.3    2 |[/B]| 1998 pit |  15 |   316   1185    3.8    3 |    16     90   5.6    0 || 1999 pit |  16 |   299   1091    3.6    7 |    21    110   5.2    0 || 2000 pit |  16 |   355   1341    3.8    8 |    13     97   7.5    0 || 2001 pit |  11 |   225   1072    4.8    4 |     8     48   6.0    0 || 2002 pit |  13 |   187    666    3.6    9 |     7     57   8.1    0 || 2003 pit |  16 |   246    811    3.3    7 |    13     86   6.6    0 || 2004 pit |  15 |   250    941    3.8   13 |     6     46   7.7    0 || 2005 pit |  12 |   110    368    3.3    9 |     4     40  10.0    0 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+|  TOTAL   | 192 |  3479  13662    3.9   91 |   200   1449   7.2    3 |
Bettis is a HoFer. He was at one point a top 5 RB in the NFL and his longevity is simply amazing. HE woudl certainly get my vote.
In the Pittsburgh offense, gaining 1665 yards, how in the world did Bettis only score 7 TD's?
Because of TD vulture Kordell Stewart.

Stone-cold lock. No question about it.
:goodposting: I think there is little question of that. However, should he be? Address that and why.

I say NO WAY. I watched him run his whole career and NEVER thought he was great.

Glad to see people are finally coming around and saying that Bettis is a HOF'er. All you had to do it look at Sunday's game which the Steelers won because Bettis converted those 4th and inches. While a lot of guys could have converted those, not many RB's inspire the confidence of the coach as much as Bettis does in those situations.
And he missed and fumbled on an important 4th and 1 against the Patriots in last years AFC Championship game. Is that really going to be your deciding factor for the HOF? That his big blubbery ### was good at converting 4th and inches?

it's interesting that MANY people here feel that bettis is a lock but look how he compares to someone like ricky waters, someone that most people don't give much consideration as a hall of famer:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1151

10,643 rushing yards

4,248 receiving yards

91 TD's

1 super bowl ring

so the question is: how does bettis get in the hall if ricky doesn't? :confused:

it's interesting that MANY people here feel that bettis is a lock but look how he compares to someone like ricky waters, someone that most people don't give much consideration as a hall of famer:

10,643 rushing yards

4,248 receiving yards

91 TD's

1 super bowl ring

so the question is: how does bettis get in the hall if ricky doesn't? :confused:
Watters is a HOF'er too. 9 straight years as a top 10 back and a ring (3 TD's in the SB) seals it.

TD, in my opinion had if not the best 3 year stretch of a rb at least a top 5 run in history.
I wish you didn't go there, as now I feel inclined to look it up.Faulk 99-01:

4,122 rushing yards, 2,643 receiving yards = 6,765 total yards with 59 TD

1,030.5 fantasy points

Holmes 01-03:

4,590 rushing yards, 1,976 receiving yards = 6,566 total yards with 61 TD

1,022.6 fantasy ppoints

Tomlinson 03-05:

4,442 rushing yards, 1,536 receiving yards = 5,978 total yards with 55 TD (plus 4 passing TD)

949.10 fantasy points

Alexander 03-05:

5,011 rushing yards, 543 receiving yards = 5,554 total yards with 64 TD

939.4 fantasy points

Smith 93-95:

4,743 rushing yards, 1,130 receiving yards = 5,853 total yards with 57 TD

929.3 fantasy points

Davis 96-98:

5,296 rushing yards, 814 receiving yards = 6,110 total yards with 53 TD

929 fantasy points

Dickerson 83-85:

5,147 rushing yards, 669 receiving yards = 5,816 total yards with 46 TD

856.6 fantasy points

Payton 77-79:

4,857 rushing yards, 1,062 receiving yards = 5,919 total yards with 43 TD

849.9 fantasy points

Allen 83-85:

3,941 rushing yards, 1,903 receiving yards = 5,844 total yards with 43 TD

842.4 fantasy points

Green 01-03:

4,510 rushing yards, 1,354 receiving yards = 5,864 total yards with 40 TD

826.4 fantasy points

Sanders 89-91:

4,322 rushing yards, 1,069 receiving yards = 5,391 total yards with 47 TD

821.1 fantasy points

Thomas 90-92:

4,191 rushing yards, 1,789 receiving yards = 5,980 total yards with 37 TD

820 fantasy points

So based on a technicality (0.3 of a fantasy point), Davis has not had one of the Top 5 stretches over a 3-year period. But it still was an impressive 3 years nonetheless. And IIRC, a couple of the guys that were higher than Davis on this list had more than one stretch of 3-years that were better than his.
Wow, really getting technical with the .3 difference from being top 5. The point I was making was still valid. He had a top SIX three run stretch and won two superbowls during that time. This guy walks in way before Priest IMO. Thank you for pointing out my error Mr. Yudkin. Without looking it up I was pretty close but your right. :X

10,643 rushing yards

4,248 receiving yards

91 TD's

1 super bowl ring

Watters is a much better candidate IMO.

TD, in my opinion had if not the best 3 year stretch of a rb at least a top 5 run in history.
I wish you didn't go there, as now I feel inclined to look it up.Faulk 99-01:

4,122 rushing yards, 2,643 receiving yards = 6,765 total yards with 59 TD

1,030.5 fantasy points

Holmes 01-03:

4,590 rushing yards, 1,976 receiving yards = 6,566 total yards with 61 TD

1,022.6 fantasy ppoints

Tomlinson 03-05:

4,442 rushing yards, 1,536 receiving yards = 5,978 total yards with 55 TD (plus 4 passing TD)

949.10 fantasy points

Alexander 03-05:

5,011 rushing yards, 543 receiving yards = 5,554 total yards with 64 TD

939.4 fantasy points

Smith 93-95:

4,743 rushing yards, 1,130 receiving yards = 5,853 total yards with 57 TD

929.3 fantasy points

Davis 96-98:

5,296 rushing yards, 814 receiving yards = 6,110 total yards with 53 TD

929 fantasy points

Dickerson 83-85:

5,147 rushing yards, 669 receiving yards = 5,816 total yards with 46 TD

856.6 fantasy points

Payton 77-79:

4,857 rushing yards, 1,062 receiving yards = 5,919 total yards with 43 TD

849.9 fantasy points

Allen 83-85:

3,941 rushing yards, 1,903 receiving yards = 5,844 total yards with 43 TD

842.4 fantasy points

Green 01-03:

4,510 rushing yards, 1,354 receiving yards = 5,864 total yards with 40 TD

826.4 fantasy points

Sanders 89-91:

4,322 rushing yards, 1,069 receiving yards = 5,391 total yards with 47 TD

821.1 fantasy points

Thomas 90-92:

4,191 rushing yards, 1,789 receiving yards = 5,980 total yards with 37 TD

820 fantasy points

So based on a technicality (0.3 of a fantasy point), Davis has not had one of the Top 5 stretches over a 3-year period. But it still was an impressive 3 years nonetheless. And IIRC, a couple of the guys that were higher than Davis on this list had more than one stretch of 3-years that were better than his.
Wow, really getting technical with the .3 difference from being top 5. The point I was making was still valid. He had a top SIX three run stretch and won two superbowls during that time. This guy walks in way before Priest IMO. Thank you for pointing out my error Mr. Yudkin. Without looking it up I was pretty close but your right. :X
I could care less about the 0.3 point or whether he was #5 or #6. What I do care about is whether a player that falls in this grouping should be a HOFer or not, as there are some guys in this group that some are saying should be HOFers based on the years they had here, while saying that others should not be inducted even though they are on the list.And other than myself, I have not seen anyone that thinks Ahman Green merits even a footnote as a future HOFer, and while I agree that for now he wouldn't stand a shot. But after a few more years he very well could be a viable candidate. He's averaged over 1,800 yards from scrimmage as a starter, is only 28, and with 3 more similar seasons he'd be in the all-time Top 10 for total yards. I know that's a lot of ifs giving that he's coming off an injury and does not have a team for next year, but he's one to keep an eye on.

As for the Davis/Holmes debate, IMO you either take them both or you don't take either.

This isn't even a discussion.  of course he's a hall of famer.
Absolutely
For those that say this WITHOUT QUESTION, I ask what in specifity makes him a clear cut HOFer? I don't disagree that he'll get in, but if the argument is his CAREER TOTALS, then be prepared to say that players like Dillon, Barber, and even Warrick Dunn are HOFers if they play long enough and get similar total career numbers. Does anyone look at those guys and think that they are WITHOUT A DOUBT HOFers? Like I said, a few more seasons and they will pass up Bettis, so a vote for Bettis should be considered a vote for those other guys (provided they compile some additional totals to get to Bettis).Through their first 9 seasons:

Bettis 10,876 rushing yards, 53 rushing TD, 1,220 receiving yards, 3 receiving TD

12,096 total yards

Dillon: 10,429 rushing yards, 69 rushing TD, 1,766 receiving yards, 7 receiving TD

12,195 total yards

Barber: 8,786 rushing yards, 50 rushing TD, 4,718 receiving yards, 13 receiving TD

13,504 total yards

Dunn: 8,321 rushing yards, 39 rushing TD, 3,601 receiving yards, 14 receiving TD

11,922 total yards

Based on total yards and total TD, those 3 guys are on par or better than Bettis. Get back to me in 4 years when these guys have career totals like Bettis has now and explain to me why these 3 running backs ARE NOT HOF worthy when you screamed Bettis was a lock.

For those that say this WITHOUT QUESTION, I ask what in specifity makes him a clear cut HOFer? I don't disagree that he'll get in, but if the argument is his CAREER TOTALS, then be prepared to say that players like Dillon, Barber, and even Warrick Dunn are HOFers if they play long enough and get similar total career numbers. Does anyone look at those guys and think that they are WITHOUT A DOUBT HOFers? Like I said, a few more seasons and they will pass up Bettis, so a vote for Bettis should be considered a vote for those other guys (provided they compile some additional totals to get to Bettis).

Through their first 9 seasons:

Bettis 10,876 rushing yards, 53 rushing TD, 1,220 receiving yards, 3 receiving TD

12,096 total yards

Dillon: 10,429 rushing yards, 69 rushing TD, 1,766 receiving yards, 7 receiving TD

12,195 total yards

Barber: 8,786 rushing yards, 50 rushing TD, 4,718 receiving yards, 13 receiving TD

13,504 total yards

Dunn: 8,321 rushing yards, 39 rushing TD, 3,601 receiving yards, 14 receiving TD

11,922 total yards

Based on total yards and total TD, those 3 guys are on par or better than Bettis. Get back to me in 4 years when these guys have career totals like Bettis has now and explain to me why these 3 running backs ARE NOT HOF worthy when you screamed Bettis was a lock.
I won't say it's "without question", but if these 3 exceed Bus's stats, sure they should get in.FWIW, I believe Tiki will get in, not so sure on the other 2.

Absolutely
For those that say this WITHOUT QUESTION, I ask what in specifity makes him a clear cut HOFer? I don't disagree that he'll get in, but if the argument is his CAREER TOTALS, then be prepared to say that players like Dillon, Barber, and even Warrick Dunn are HOFers if they play long enough and get similar total career numbers. Does anyone look at those guys and think that they are WITHOUT A DOUBT HOFers? Like I said, a few more seasons and they will pass up Bettis, so a vote for Bettis should be considered a vote for those other guys (provided they compile some additional totals to get to Bettis).Through their first 9 seasons:

12,096 total yards

12,195 total yards

13,504 total yards

11,922 total yards

:goodposting: Corey Dillon and Tiki Barber ALREADY have better stats than Bettis. Dillon's 4.3 YPC and Barbers 4.6 YPC for a career hold more weight with me than Bettis' 3.9 YPC over more carries.Corey Dillon is NOT a HOF. Barber is not a lock but has a shot. They are both better than Bettis.

This isn't even a discussion. of course he's a hall of famer.
Absolutely
You guys both members of the assinine comments club? WHY should he be a HOFer? What makes him GREAT rather than just being very good?
In football, longevity counts (IMO) more than any other sport. Bettis has compiled fantastic numbers and has helped his team win. He protects the ball, he's a team leader, and the people with Votes seem to love him b/c he's a nice guy.The 5th leading rusher of all time is not being kept out of the hall b/c he's got a 3.9ypc average.

Absolutely

12,096 total yards

12,195 total yards

13,504 total yards

11,922 total yards

Comments:1. It is extremely unlikely that these guys will end up with career totals like Bettis. All are 30 or older.

2. To even put Dunn on this list is laughable. He has 39 rushing TDs in his career.

3. Bettis has been All Pro twice and been to 6 Pro Bowls. None of the others have been All Pro, though Tiki has a solid chance this year. Tiki has been to 2 Pro Bowls, including this year. Dunn has been to 3, including this year. Dillon has been to 4. It is extremely unlikely that any of these others will match Bettis's All Pro and/or Pro Bowl selections.

Absolutely

12,096 total yards

12,195 total yards

13,504 total yards

11,922 total yards

Comments:1. It is extremely unlikely that these guys will end up with career totals like Bettis. All are 30 or older.

2. To even put Dunn on this list is laughable. He has 39 rushing TDs in his career.

3. Bettis has been All Pro twice and been to 6 Pro Bowls. None of the others have been All Pro, though Tiki has a solid chance this year. Tiki has been to 2 Pro Bowls, including this year. Dunn has been to 3, including this year. Dillon has been to 4. It is extremely unlikely that any of these others will match Bettis's All Pro and/or Pro Bowl selections.
I don't consider Dunn a real HOF candidate either, which was my point. Dunn currently has 174 total yards and 3 total TD less than Bettis did at the same points in their careers. I doubt Dunn plays many more productive years, but it's not totally out of the question that he could.From Year 10 on, Bettis put up another 3,015 yards and 38 TD. Dunn is 30, and I don't think it is all that far fetched that he could have 1 more solid season (say 1300-1400 total yards) and two other seasons with a reduced role to make up the difference. So it's not inconceivable that Dunn catches Bettis in total yards. Given that Dunn has never had 10 TD in a season, there's pretty much no way he scores more TD than Bettis has. But career total yardage is not out of the question. Unless people feel that a yard rushing is greater than a yard receiving.

And who said you had be all of Pro Bowl appearances to get into the HOF? John Riggins went to one Pro Bowl.

Absolutely

12,096 total yards

12,195 total yards

13,504 total yards

11,922 total yards

I don't consider Dunn a real HOF candidate either, which was my point. Dunn currently has 174 total yards and 3 total TD less than Bettis did at the same points in their careers. I doubt Dunn plays many more productive years, but it's not totally out of the question that he could.From Year 10 on, Bettis put up another 3,015 yards and 38 TD. Dunn is 30, and I don't think it is all that far fetched that he could have 1 more solid season (say 1300-1400 total yards) and two other seasons with a reduced role to make up the difference. So it's not inconceivable that Dunn catches Bettis in total yards. Given that Dunn has never had 10 TD in a season, there's pretty much no way he scores more TD than Bettis has. But career total yardage is not out of the question. Unless people feel that a yard rushing is greater than a yard receiving.

And who said you had be all of Pro Bowl appearances to get into the HOF? John Riggins went to one Pro Bowl.
You can quote all the what-ifs you want. I stand by my statement that is is extremely unlikely any of these guys end up with numbers like Bettis. And, yes, that is all numbers, meaning both yardage and TDs.I like Dunn, but he isn't a HOF caliber player. That doesn't bear on whether or not Bettis is a HOF caliber player IMO. I think it is valid to compare a player to his contemporaries, but I really don't like the specific arguments along the lines of "player X is in, and player Y has equivalent or better stats, so player Y should be in." If you can't see that Bettis has been a stronger RB than Dunn, even only through the first 9 years, we will have to agree to disagree.

And the exception disproves the rule, right? :rolleyes: You put words in my mouth. I didn't say it is all about Pro Bowls. I simply used that as one relative measure that shows Bettis has been better than the others you listed.

Surely you would agree that, while imperfect, number of Pro Bowls is one way of judging relative worth among contemporaries. Do you really think there is no meaning to the fact that Bettis has been to 2+ more Pro Bowls than the others?

And what about his two All Pro selections? You don't think those serve to separate him from this group of peers you brought up?

I think Bettis is a borderline HOFer. If he makes it in, great. If not, I'm not going to be crying about the selection process.My guess is that since he has been so accessable to the media thoughout his career and is well liked in that communitee he will make it in.

The 5th leading rusher of all time is not being kept out of the hall b/c he's got a 3.9ypc average.
Okay, by that rationale I could say that Vinny Testaverde (who is in the top 10 in passing yards, touchdowns and completions) is not going to be kept out of the hall because he has thrown 261 interceptions.How is this for a comparison:

Testaverde once finished 2nd in the NFL in passing touchdowns. Bettis has never finished higher than 4th in rushing touchdowns in a season.

Testaverde once finished 2nd in the NFL in passing yards. Bettis has also only finished 2nd in the NFL in rushing yards once and has never led the NFL in rushing.

In fact, Bettis has only finished in the TOP 10 in rushing yards FIVE TIMES. FIVE TIMES. That is quite a contrast to his peers:

Emmitt Smith: has finished in the top 10 in rushing 9 times

Barry Sanders: has finished in the top 10 in rushing 10 times

Curtis Martin: has finished in the top 10 in rushing 7 times

Corey Dillon: has finished in the top 10 in rushing 6 times

Thurman Thomas: has finished in the top 10 in rushing 6 times

Marshall Faulk: has finished in the top 10 in rushing 5 times (same as Bettis), but finished first or second in total yards from scrimmage four years in a row

Know how many years Bettis has finished in the top 10 in total yards from scrimmage? THREE.

Don't get me wrong. Bettis has had a great career and longevity is on his side, but to suggest that he is such a no-brainer that it shouldn't even be discussed is ludicrous. I think he is borderline. I can see both sides of the argument.

Yes, right now, he is 5th all-time in rushing yards, but by the time he is eligible for the HoF, it is possible that several other RB's will have passed him and he might only be 9th or 10th all-time, which suddenly makes his numbers look not quite as impressive, especially when you factor in his subpar YPC of 3.9.

Oh, and to get back to the Testaverde comparison, no, I do not think Testaverde is a HoFer. My point was that just like you cannot look at Testaverde being top 10 all-time in touchdowns and passing yards and say he is in automatically, the same applies to Bettis being the 5th all-time rusher. It is not that simple.

I think Bettis is a borderline HOFer. If he makes it in, great. If not, I'm not going to be crying about the selection process.

My guess is that since he has been so accessable to the media thoughout his career and is well liked in that communitee he will make it in.
My thoughts exactly.

he is the most productive "big back" in history. he is well liked by the media. he's a shoe-in.
That seems accurate. Bettis' style has defined the Steelers for years. He's an icon of the NFL. Some of the things that get you into the hall of fame trancend stats.I expect him to make the hall.

Let's try this again. I'm not saying Bettis IS NOT a HOFer, only that IMO he should be a borderline one. And I am certainly not saying that Warrick Dunn is BETTER than Bettis. But I am saying that Bettis is not a world beater when it comes to basic statistics. If you want to praise him for his behavior, commuity service, the beating he took, his leadership, his longevity, blah, blah, blah, that's a whole different subject.As I said, the statisitcal core of Bettis' career came from his first 9 seasons. Since that time, he has been utilized primarily as a short yardage back and back up. Nothing wrong with that, but I highly doubt that anyone would look at his most recent 4 years and think that those seasons would remotely be HOF worthy. To recap, Bettis totalled 3,015 yards from scrimmage in the past 4 years with 38 total TD. To put things into perspective, from 2002-2005, Bettis ranked as the 22nd best fantasy RB--certainly not earth shaking performance wise.Here are the totals for players after their 9th season. I ranked them by fantasy points scored, which probably does not account at all for all other analytical criteria. The list includes all players that had at least 1,500 fantasy points through 9 seasons. (Knock on wood, I got this from the Historical Data Dominator and hopefully it did not forget anyone).1. Faulk 10395/5984/120 = 23572. Smith 12566/2609/134 = 23213. Sanders 13778/2632/105 = 22714. Brown 12312/2499/126 = 2237.15. Dickerson 12439/1994/93 = 20056. Payton 11625/3088/87 = 19937. Watters 10325/4141/90 = 19868. Thomas 10762/3876/82 = 19559. Martin 11669/2966/81 = 195410. Dorsett 10832/2988/77 = 184411. George 10441/2227/78 = 173412. Allen 7957/3850/92 = 173213. Barber 8786/4718/62 = 172214. Walker 7996/4387/78 = 170615. Dillon 10429/1766/76 = 167416. Holmes 8035/2945/94 = 166217. James 9226/2839/75 = 1656 (7 years)18. Craig 7654/4578/67 = 162519. Simpson 10183/1924/69 = 162420. Harris 9352/1507/82 = 157721. Bettis 10876/1220/59 = 155122. Alexander 7817/1387/100 = 1520 (6 years)23. Dunn 8321/3601/53 = 1510Not on the list but should be soon include:LaDainian Tomlinson 7361/2392/80 = 1476 (5 years)Fred Taylor 8367/1963/58 = 1381 (8 years)Ahman Green 7432/2337/62 = 1353 (8 years)Ricky Williams 7097/1899/51 = 1205 (7 years)Jamal Lewis 6669/1250/38 = 1020 (6 years)Clinton Portis 5930/1129/49 = 1009 (4 years)Again, not to take anything at all away from Bettis, but as I see it there are a pack of players that have produced at, near, or better than he did through 9 seasons. So the question in my mind then becomes how much added value do we weigh those 4 extra seasons and 3,000 more yards than all these other guys?He was basically Eddie George with 20 fewer TD. Bettis obviously went on to do more than George in years 10+, but how many people are saying George is a HOFer at this point?So to summarize, IMO Bettis was a very good back for a long, long time. By the time he is eligible, there's a very good chance that he won't be in the Top 25 list above for basically his starter years. As I see it, he then essentially "leaps" over many of these other players based on 4 seasons as a part-time running back. Again, IMO, I have a hard time thinking that those 4 seasons in and of themselves make the difference in categorizing him from "very good" to "all-time great."Like someone else mentioned, I won't complain once Bettis gets inducted, but I wouldn't be leading the campaign to get him in either.

As I said, the statisitcal core of Bettis' career came from his first 9 seasons. Since that time, he has been utilized primarily as a short yardage back and back up.
Not really true, David.In 2002, the Steelers tried to get Amos Zereoue more involved, but the offensive line suffered and the defense was terrible. He split carries pretty evenly with Zereoue that year because the Steelers NEEDED to have someone like him behind that putrid line. Considering that Jerome had about 100 yards rushing per game the previous season through week 11, I'd say he still had plenty left in the tank.

In 2003, the Steelers' offensive line was decimated with injuries and the Steelers couldn't run the ball. That's why Maddox passed so much, even though that wasn't effective either.

And last year, at age 32, Bettis started for the entire second half of the season after Staley got hurt, rushing for 812 yards and 5 TDs in the last 8 games, very much factoring into the Steelers' 15-1 record.

The guy's now a 33 year old power back who still comes through when he's needed, and still had enough left in the tank for a 100 yard performance against the Bears' defense in a must-win game.

If people want to knock him for not catching passes, that's fine. That's not the kind of back he's been. His TD numbers were limited by the QB play on most of those early teams, and his TD numbers have jumped the last 2 years because the offense finally has a passing threat. His TD numbers would've been through the roof if he'd played on decent offenses through the prime years of his career.

People who call him a compiler because he's lasted till age 33 are doing him a huge disservice.

Maybe Bettis played a bigger role than I give him credit for the last few years, but the numbers still show that he had 534 fantasy points in 56 games played. That works out to 9.5 fantasy ppg, which in an given year would barely make him a Top 25 RB. And his 3.5 ypc over the last 4 years is not exactly stellar.While he may have been called upon for a larger role and did have some 100-yard games the past few years (10 of them in fact), that tells me in the OTHER games the Steelers did not elect to utilize him very much (21 games with 10 or fewer carries).And while a case could be made that Bettis didn't get many TDs over his career due to a suspect passing attack, the counter argument to that is that he got way more attempts DUE TO the suspect passing attack.I still think that the most similar RB of his generation is Corey Dillon, and the same topics for debate ring just as true with the Bengals as the Steelers. Defenses stacked the box because they knew Dillon was going to get the ball, and he still had numerous productive seasons.Bettis backers need to start considering Dillon as a potential HOFer, as his career has been on par (or better) than Bettis'. I absoltuely cannot see how the same people would vote in Bettis but say Dillon is not even a viable candidate.

Maybe Bettis played a bigger role than I give him credit for the last few years, but the numbers still show that he had 534 fantasy points in 56 games played. That works out to 9.5 fantasy ppg, which in an given year would barely make him a Top 25 RB. And his 3.5 ypc over the last 4 years is not exactly stellar.

While he may have been called upon for a larger role and did have some 100-yard games the past few years (10 of them in fact), that tells me in the OTHER games the Steelers did not elect to utilize him very much (21 games with 10 or fewer carries).

And while a case could be made that Bettis didn't get many TDs over his career due to a suspect passing attack, the counter argument to that is that he got way more attempts DUE TO the suspect passing attack.

I still think that the most similar RB of his generation is Corey Dillon, and the same topics for debate ring just as true with the Bengals as the Steelers. Defenses stacked the box because they knew Dillon was going to get the ball, and he still had numerous productive seasons.

Bettis backers need to start considering Dillon as a potential HOFer, as his career has been on par (or better) than Bettis'. I absoltuely cannot see how the same people would vote in Bettis but say Dillon is not even a viable candidate.
I've never heard NFL players talk about how difficult it is to deal with Dillon. He's been a great back, just like a lot of other players are great RB's. But I've seen interviews that Bettis is different. He's a massive back that can run you over or dance around you. If you try to tackle him high you are going for a ride on the bus. If you try to tackle him low he's running over or around you. These are quotes from players to the best of my recollection.I dont remember hearing these things about Dillon, or Terrell Davis, or Eddie George, or anyone else since Sanders or Smith. Only Bettis. My understanding is that this guy is at a different level than most other great backs of the last 5 years, in the eyes of other players. That stands for something.

I have NO love for the Steelers, but the Bus is headed for Canton 100% no matter how he finished from here.

Maybe Bettis played a bigger role than I give him credit for the last few years, but the numbers still show that he had 534 fantasy points in 56 games played. That works out to 9.5 fantasy ppg, which in an given year would barely make him a Top 25 RB. And his 3.5 ypc over the last 4 years is not exactly stellar.

While he may have been called upon for a larger role and did have some 100-yard games the past few years (10 of them in fact), that tells me in the OTHER games the Steelers did not elect to utilize him very much (21 games with 10 or fewer carries).

And while a case could be made that Bettis didn't get many TDs over his career due to a suspect passing attack, the counter argument to that is that he got way more attempts DUE TO the suspect passing attack.

I still think that the most similar RB of his generation is Corey Dillon, and the same topics for debate ring just as true with the Bengals as the Steelers. Defenses stacked the box because they knew Dillon was going to get the ball, and he still had numerous productive seasons.

Bettis backers need to start considering Dillon as a potential HOFer, as his career has been on par (or better) than Bettis'. I absoltuely cannot see how the same people would vote in Bettis but say Dillon is not even a viable candidate.
Why are you basing your analysis of Bettis' HOF candidacy on fantasy points. There's much, MUCH more he brings to the table than fantasy players look at.I don't think you're alone in not giving Bettis enough credit for what he's done the last few years. 2002 and 2003 were struggles because of the OL, and he was already 32 by the time 2004 came around. I don't believe his skills deteriorated so much that he could go from having almost 1100 yards in 11 games during 2001 to being a below average role player in 2002. He was fantastic for the 2nd half last year, and NOW has settled into a role of a part-time guy. He still adds a lot to the Steelers though.

As for your description of why he got the carries he did and the lack of TDs early in his career, I don't think he got the carries BECAUSE the passing game wasn't good. He got the carries that any workhorse back will get, but the team didn't have the passing attack to generate a high scoring offense. That's why his TDs were low. I definitely think people forget just how hard he was to tackle in his prime because they only see him as he is now. He was the centerpiece of a smashmouth offense without a passing game threat, and he had success against defenses who knew he was coming but couldn't stop it.

Is Dillon a comparable back? Sure. He's also almost 3,000 total yards (over 3,000 rushing yards) behind Bettis, about 20 TDs behind him, and he also started showing some pretty clear signs of decline this year. He's only a year and 4 months younger than Jerome.

Dillon also wasn't the workhorse type of back Jerome was. Jerome had 5 seasons with over 300 carries and 2 more with over 290. Dillon has had 4 seasons in his career with over 300 carries, and he didn't get over 263 in any of the others.

Dillon has been a very good RB. Bettis is a Hall of Fame RB.

Maybe Bettis played a bigger role than I give him credit for the last few years, but the numbers still show that he had 534 fantasy points in 56 games played.  That works out to 9.5 fantasy ppg, which in an given year would barely make him a Top 25 RB.  And his 3.5 ypc over the last 4 years is not exactly stellar.

I still think that the most similar RB of his generation is Corey Dillon, and the same topics for debate ring just as true with the Bengals as the Steelers.  Defenses stacked the box because they knew Dillon was going to get the ball, and he still had numerous productive seasons.

Bettis backers need to start considering Dillon as a potential HOFer, as his career has been on par (or better) than Bettis'.  I absoltuely cannot see how the same people would vote in Bettis but say Dillon is not even a viable candidate.
I've never heard NFL players talk about how difficult it is to deal with Dillon. He's been a great back, just like a lot of other players are great RB's. But I've seen interviews that Bettis is different. He's a massive back that can run you over or dance around you. If you try to tackle him high you are going for a ride on the bus. If you try to tackle him low he's running over or around you. These are quotes from players to the best of my recollection.I dont remember hearing these things about Dillon, or Terrell Davis, or Eddie George, or anyone else since Sanders or Smith. Only Bettis. My understanding is that this guy is at a different level than most other great backs of the last 5 years, in the eyes of other players. That stands for something.
:link: What are you talking about? :lmao: Bettis is the only back you have ever seen get praised? Players never spoke in reverential tones about Terrell Davis? Really, not even when he gained 2,000 yards?

I for one have NEVER heard players talk about how difficult it is to deal with Bettis. Then again, my team is the Patriots and Bettis has NEVER had a decent game against them. In fact, Bettis is EASY to deal with if you have a coach that knows what he is doing.

Bettis is very borderline and only Steeler love will get him in ahead of Corey Dillon. Dillon has had the more productive career.

Its tough to vote a player in with only 5 years (Sayers is the exception, Davis will probably miss out on the Hall). However, once you get past 7 years or so it is about the impact you had on the game and how you stack up against the All Time greats. Its not about the stats that you COMPILE.

Take Bettis at his best, compare that to a true Hall of Famer like Jim Brown, or Earl Campbell or Tony Dorsett. They were true Greats. Bettis has been GOOD for a long time and that is it.

Bettis has only averaged over 4.0 YPC in 4 of 13 seasons. Dillon 6 of 9Dorsett 9 or 12Barber 7 of 9Campbell 4 of 6T. Thomas 9 of 13Bettis was and is NOT a GREAT RB

:link: What are you talking about? :lmao: Bettis is the only back you have ever seen get praised? Players never spoke in reverential tones about Terrell Davis? Really, not even when he gained 2,000 yards?

I for one have NEVER heard players talk about how difficult it is to deal with Bettis. Then again, my team is the Patriots and Bettis has NEVER had a decent game against them. In fact, Bettis is EASY to deal with if you have a coach that knows what he is doing.

Bettis is very borderline and only Steeler love will get him in ahead of Corey Dillon. Dillon has had the more productive career.

Its tough to vote a player in with only 5 years (Sayers is the exception, Davis will probably miss out on the Hall). However, once you get past 7 years or so it is about the impact you had on the game and how you stack up against the All Time greats. Its not about the stats that you COMPILE.

Take Bettis at his best, compare that to a true Hall of Famer like Jim Brown, or Earl Campbell or Tony Dorsett. They were true Greats. Bettis has been GOOD for a long time and that is it.
I'm a Pats fan too. That doesnt mean I look at Dillon through beer goggles now that he's a Patriot. Or judge Bettis explicitly against how he performed against the Pats. I think you are kidding yourself about how players make it into the hall. They are elected by sportscasters based partially on real numbers and partially on how well they are regarded. Bettis is very highly regarded and he has some HOF numbers. You can quantify WHY he has hall of fame numbers, due to longevity or whatever. But he still has them. You can't throw away someone accumulating more yardage than all by 4 other runningbacks in history. And he's a popular guy to boot.

I'll be surprised if he isnt elected.

Users who are viewing this thread