What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden To Forgive $10k In Student Loans (1 Viewer)

So what happens to the note holders? They get the loans paid by the government?
Can someone say inflation (again)?
The U.S. government is the lender.
I looked this up, because I knew they were in part, but not all. Am shocked at how high a % it is (apparently this has skyrocketed since 2010). Last time I had a student loan was 2001.

The US Federal Government owns 92% of all student loans in the US.

As a result, I don't think this will necessarily cause a problem with inflation, but it does not fix the fundamental issue of the outrageous rise in college costs over the last 30 years.
Oddly enough, while much of my son's bills for school (we just paid them) went up so much from when I was in school. His books were actually a bargain...at least this semester. Maybe they are relying on some older textbooks for things like Chemistry, History and English...but man, I was expecting a worse hit when we ordered his books. (Tuition, food, and his dorm cost...not so much the bargain).
Disagree. The growth in my maturity as a person from dorm living and the expansion of my mindset from learning in college was, at least to me, worth far more than the dollar cost. Which is probably why I never missed a student loan payment and paid them off after twelve years.
Well. I was saying more in comparison. Book prices didn’t seem to increase the same at all…and actually his seem less than ours were.

I looked this up, because I knew they were in part, but not all. Am shocked at how high a % it is (apparently this has skyrocketed since 2010). Last time I had a student loan was 2001.

As a result, I don't think this will necessarily cause a problem with inflation, but it does not fix the fundamental issue of the outrageous rise in college costs over the last 30 years.
Oddly enough, while much of my son's bills for school (we just paid them) went up so much from when I was in school. His books were actually a bargain...at least this semester. Maybe they are relying on some older textbooks for things like Chemistry, History and English...but man, I was expecting a worse hit when we ordered his books. (Tuition, food, and his dorm cost...not so much the bargain).
Disagree. The growth in my maturity as a person from dorm living and the expansion of my mindset from learning in college was, at least to me, worth far more than the dollar cost. Which is probably why I never missed a student loan payment and paid them off after twelve years.
Well. I was saying more in comparison. Book prices didn’t seem to increase the same at all…and actually his seem less than ours were.
I gotcha.

I'm just apparently one of the rare ones in the minority that believe college is worth more than its current cost(s).

I gotcha.

I'm just apparently one of the rare ones in the minority that believe college is worth more than its current cost(s).
Oh i loved college. But, i guess different in that now Im the one seeing the bills vs my parents.

The I paid my loans so what do I get excuse is so lazy and annoying. Life isn't fair and sometimes the timing of things works for you and sometimes it doesn't.

I do disagree with this forgiveness, it does nothing but stale the problem we already have with education and debt etc...

I'm confused now. Did my explanation about how they weren't the same after explaining the additional overhead costs of affirmatively paying private loans not make sense?
of course it did, but it was lawyer lingo. props for that, but my whole point was $10,000 is $10,000. you watered it down with the expense cost of paying off private loans so a no go. fine, let's pay off kids car loans up to $10,000 but deduct $2000 in administration costs. so they get $8000.00. bingo.
more votes. stupid policy to be teaching kids when they are approaching making mature decisions for their life & family.
you think it's a good idea, fine.
I think it is horrendous for the future of the next generation. nothing surprises me anymore when the motivation to get votes overrides what is best for the country. and using taxpayers money to do it. doubling the IRS squad should really crank some of you up to get more from those who work to those that choose not to. more votes, right?
not singling you out Woz, just surprised you are in favor of the loan forgiveness.

I'm confused now. Did my explanation about how they weren't the same after explaining the additional overhead costs of affirmatively paying private loans not make sense?
of course it did, but it was lawyer lingo. props for that, but my whole point was $10,000 is $10,000. you watered it down with the expense cost of paying off private loans so a no go. fine, let's pay off kids car loans up to $10,000 but deduct $2000 in administration costs. so they get $8000.00. bingo.
more votes. stupid policy to be teaching kids when they are approaching making mature decisions for their life & family.
you think it's a good idea, fine.
I think it is horrendous for the future of the next generation. nothing surprises me anymore when the motivation to get votes overrides what is best for the country. and using taxpayers money to do it. doubling the IRS squad should really crank some of you up to get more from those who work to those that choose not to. more votes, right?
not singling you out Woz, just surprised you are in favor of the loan forgiveness.
I'm not in favor of loan forgiveness.* I just busted my butt to pay off $110k without ever missing a payment and, perhaps irrationally, I'd be relatively annoyed right now if my colleague who found every reason in the book to defer got hers forgiven.

When I responded to you I was merely pointing out what I perceived to be the difference between student loans and private auto loans as to why forgiving them isn't the same.

*I'm neutral as to the 10 year loan forgiveness program for public service jobs. I can see the merit there as it does retain some good people in public service.

just got back from golf. shot 80 which is bad for me. did manage too many drinks on the course like a pro.
cheers.

Reactions: Zow
The I paid my loans so what do I get excuse is so lazy and annoying. Life isn't fair and sometimes the timing of things works for you and sometimes it doesn't.

I do disagree with this forgiveness, it does nothing but stale the problem we already have with education and debt etc...
This is horrible.

That is taxpayer money, the benefits are asymmetric and $300 billion in social welfare payments are being controlled by one man (Biden).

There is nothing lazy about the fairness argument, and it certainly isn't an "excuse." It's just so obvious that it is an overwhelmingly majority opinion.

I am truly disappointed in the serous tone this thread has taken. My kid works for the news, Tik Tok source, said the source was good, lots of potential there for comedy.

The I paid my loans so what do I get excuse is so lazy and annoying.
It may be irrational, but I strongly disagree with your descriptors. Surely you can at least see and appreciate where the sentiment comes from, no?
No I can't. Life isn't fair. I am liberal as they come, but it is lazy and whiney. Sometimes things work out for you and sometimes they don't and a lot of the time the issue is timing.

This also comes from someone who paid for 4 at Michigan State, then another 2 years at Oakland University and 2 more at Saginaw Valley State. The best part is that the state of Michigan used to require teachers to get a master's degree. So as I was finishing mine the state of Michigan changed the laws and they no longer required teachers to have a master's. They didn't owe me anything, because I had just paid for mine, even though I no longer needed it. In the state of Michigan if you were born in 1978 or before you can legally drive a watercraft without any training, if you were born in 1979 or after you have to take a boaters safety course.

Life isn't fair and things change deal we have to deal with it.

So isn’t the right answer here “pay your loans off, life isn’t fair.”

But off course paying for services received and that you agreed to pay for is indeed very fair.

How about "sign an agreement, live up to your agreement

I already said I disagree with the forgiveness, I just dislike the people that complain about how they paid for their school or their loans already so they deserve the money too.
When I have to pay money for someone else's decision, I feel like I can complain about it however I want to.

I already said I disagree with the forgiveness, I just dislike the people that complain about how they paid for their school or their loans already so they deserve the money too.
When I have to pay money for someone else's decision, I feel like I can complain about it however I want to.

It is doing our country wonders right now since everyone that pays taxes should be able to complains about everything by your logic. Glad you like to be part of the problem. Hope it works for you.

I don’t understand why they just don’t wipe out the interest. Congrats these are now interest free loans and every dollar you pay pays down your principal. The government does not need to earn interest on these loans. Would be almost as beneficial as wiping out 10k and an easier sell politically. I don’t get it.

It is doing our country wonders right now since everyone that pays taxes should be able to complains about everything by your logic. Glad you like to be part of the problem. Hope it works for you.
The problem of pointing out a broken system?

We get to vote every couple years. In the mean time, I'm going to complain on internet forums during my off time and hope some others see the light.

"Life isn't fair."

Poster child for "lazy and annoying" counter-arguments.

Compared to the gimme money because other people get it.
How about "sign an agreement, live up to your agreement?"

If the government cancels your loan, that doesn’t mean you’re not living up to your agreement.
Lol. The "government" just decided on their own to cancel student debt? Who is it lobbying the politicians?

The Amazon and Starbucks unions are the latest to join a coalition of progressive groups, student debt activists and civil rights organizations like the NAACP that have been trying since the beginning of Biden’s presidency to convince him to cancel large amounts of student debt.

I believe policy-making should incorporate some degree of "fairness" as reasonably interpreted by the average individual. But overall economic prosperity with a careful eye kept on inequalities should probably be more important.

While I wouldn't intuitively choose this particular target segment to be the most worthy recipient of an initiative of this sort, I acknowledge that US policy-makers comprise the best and brightest economic minds in the world, and dutifully submit to their best judgment.

Student loan forgiveness has gained traction in fits and starts over the past few years, which was less surprising when we were still in the low inflation environment. People constantly made the ridiculous argument that canceling student loans 'doesn't hurt anyone'.

Now that we're running at ~9% inflation, it's an even more absurd notion than before...canceling student debt ABSOLUTELY hurts everyone who doesn't get this gift from the government. It's infantile to think that money is just 'free' and the gov't can just forgive loans without repercussions for everyone else.

Cancel interest payments, fine. The principal is yours however. In my opinion, anyone who pretends full forgiveness is the right thing to do is nothing more than a thief. It's morally repugnant.

I don’t understand why they just don’t wipe out the interest. Congrats these are now interest free loans and every dollar you pay pays down your principal. The government does not need to earn interest on these loans. Would be almost as beneficial as wiping out 10k and an easier sell politically. I don’t get it.
It's the government. Of course, this solution means/does very little long term if they don't make loans ones that people can file for bankruptcy on. This will continue to happen over and over and over again. A great man people in this country shouldn't be granted these loans, but the fact that they are basically guaranteed money to the government keeps them from rejecting those they should be.

I'd support that if it came with free or significantly low cost state higher education options. Without that, it will just continue to push the cost of higher education higher and higher, which is what caused this problem in the first place.

The I paid my loans so what do I get excuse is so lazy and annoying.
It may be irrational, but I strongly disagree with your descriptors. Surely you can at least see and appreciate where the sentiment comes from, no?
No I can't. Life isn't fair.
Then respectfully you should duck out of this issue as any input you provide will be discredited by a lack of empathy and understanding.

Then respectfully you should duck out of this issue as any input you provide will be discredited by a lack of empathy and understanding.

If that was the case then we would have no discussion ever.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the 10k for student debt is a bad idea. It isn't a fix, there are better ideas like interest free, cheaper tuition, more scholarships.

It really bothers me when people are against something because they don't/didn't get it. There has to be restrictions. Just because someone paid off there college debt 3 years ago and now they are knocking off 10k from student debt doesn't mean they should get it retroactively.

I'd support that if it came with free or significantly low cost state higher education options. Without that, it will just continue to push the cost of higher education higher and higher, which is what caused this problem in the first place.
Out-of-pocket cost reduction is already happening. You just don't necessarily see it on the sticker price. I don't recall reviewing the data within the last few years, largely because I don't think it'll be meaningful until we've had at least a couple years post covid, but any recent out-of-pocket increases were primarily related to room & board and if anything tuition was going the other way. From what I'm seeing across the industry I'll be shocked if both of those trends don't become even more pronounced over the next few years.

I think the current loan forgiveness on the table is an awful idea and have said so more than once before, but I am not overly concerned about its impacts going forward. The invisible hand was already doing work and covid is accelerating the timeline. A swath of schools are going to close this decade and they're not going to be replaced with new ones. What's important is that not TOO many close though. That would have a greater impact on future price increases than what we're talking about here.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the 10k for student debt is a bad idea. It isn't a fix, there are better ideas like interest free, cheaper tuition, more scholarships.

It really bothers me when people are against something because they don't/didn't get it. There has to be restrictions. Just because someone paid off there college debt 3 years ago and now they are knocking off 10k from student debt doesn't mean they should get it retroactively.
This attitude ONLY makes sense if the award certain people get doesn't cost others. Cancelling debt costs everyone something because it inherently reduces the value of the U.S. dollar, thereby raising inflation.
If the federal government paid for new swimming pools for everybody who lives in Texas, it would cost everyone, not just those living in Texas. By your logic, folks in Wisconsin, Ohio, and Oregon wouldn't have the right to complain despite their cost of living going higher.

I guess this now makes the Inflation Reduction Act only transitory.
Like I said....

The recently-passed Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) will reduce budget deficits by roughly $275 billion while pushing fiscal policy in the right direction to assist the Federal Reserve in its fight against inflation. However, a possible announcement from the White House to offer across-the-board student debt cancellation could undermine the bill’s disinflationary gains and deficit reduction.

Cancelling $10,000 per person of student debt for households making below $300,000 a year would cost roughly $230 billion. Combined, these policies would consume nearly ten years of deficit reduction from the Inflation Reduction Act.

...debt cancellation would boost near-term inflation far more than the IRA will lower it.

Last edited:

The bold genuinely confuses me. You may disagree with the sentiment and find it irrational, but to be "bothered" by it suggest just a fundamental lack of understanding and empathy.

The bold genuinely confuses me. You may disagree with the sentiment and find it irrational, but to be "bothered" by it suggest just a fundamental lack of understanding and empathy.

I'd argue that those complaining this doesn't benefit them are the ones with a lack of empathy.

I'll also go on record and say I think $10k forgiveness is dumb. I would support no interest loans for secondary education and trade schools.

Every time this topic come up, I have one question...how does the government paying off these loans avoid being in the same spot in 5 to 10 years...you are absolutely not fixing the problem by doing this...in fact you may be furthering it as those making the decision about college affordability may feel they will get bailed out themselves so they may not see the need to be financially responsible in their college decision...I truly don't understand the disconnect here.

I'd argue that those complaining this doesn't benefit them are the ones with a lack of empathy.
That's not the issue. And one could be empathetic to both sides of the coin here. Speaking for myself, I see both sides of the argument for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread