What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (4 Viewers)

Gotta love grilling threads. Wonder if the 'blue smoke/white smoke' threads are still out there.

I have been using the same grill (converted gas to charcoal) for years. I 'am one with my grill'.

Hearing about the advantages of the ceramic coating of the BGE I am wondering if there is some kind of coating I can 'paint' on my grill to give it more heat retension.

I live in Michigan and grill year 'round on my covered back porch.

It would be nice to speed up my longer cooking items such as beercan chicken and pulled pork in the winter.

Sorry for the hijack.
I havent heard of anything but I can tell you that I have cooked 65 pounds of Boston Butt at 250 degrees for 16 hours while it was 5 below outside in my big green egg and didnt have to add any charcoal during the entire cook. Thats how well the egg retains the heat.
What size Big green egg do you have that will fit 65 pounds (about 8 Boston Butts) on the grill?

J
He has got an XL. He already said that, I think.

BTW, when I said BGE owners were invested in them, I meant emotionally.
Ok. How do you get 8 boston butts on the XL grill? Double stack with a 2nd grate?

J
For in the middle and two on each side. No double rack. It was tight though.

like this

--

|--|

|--|

--

If that picture makes any sense :lmao:
How wide is the grate?

J
I believe 24 or 26 inch. Cant remember, 24 I believe. :lmao:
I think it's 24.

I'm just trying to understand what you did here.

An 8# boston butt is going to be about 10" long and 5 or 6" wide. I just don't see how they're going on a 24" grill.

You didn't turn them on the their side where the fat cap was vertical did you?

Here's a pic where they went double decker and squeezed 4 boston butts onto a smaller green egg putting them WAY closer together and closer to the lid than I'd ever want to. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/showphot.htm?30pounds.jpg That's just 4 butts and they're tight ;)

I ask because I get a lot more interested if you can cook this volume of food.

1 normal turkey just barely goes on a 22" diameter Weber grill. It won't go on the large BGE unless you go with a smaller bird and no pan. I'm trying to justify spending $1,400 on a 24" grill. I've looked at these for a while and have been interested in them.

J
Here is a picture of over 30 pounds on the XL wessb.com, as you can see there is room for two more on each side of the main log. And thats what I did. Im not saying it wasnt a tight fit, because it was. If I remember corectly the outer four were done before the inner for too. As far as 1400 bucks, thats way too much. I got mine at my local dealer for 960 I believe. There was a website that also had them similiarly priced, plus they shipped them for free. I dont know the link off the top of my head but if you like I can look for it.
Thanks boots, if you can find the link where the XL is 960 with free freight, that would be cool. Thanks.

J
Joe,

I didnt see an xl on there site but give them a call sometimes the site doesnt have current stuff. Let me know if you get one. You will not be dissapointed. hearthside

Thanks Guys. I see these are without the stand and that's the price difference. That might be just as well as I think I'd build a table for it.

J

Thanks Guys. I see these are without the stand and that's the price difference. That might be just as well as I think I'd build a table for it.J
If you get one just look or post on the site for plans on building a table for your egg. There are lots of them on the site. Some of them are CRAZY sweet."Once you go egg, you never go back"

The site says you can re-use charcoal? Does this actually work? What is cleanup like? Sounds like you have to get ash out through the bottom with some sort of tool? Is this a pain?

For you guys that know - when you're smoking pork shoulder or turkey or chicken on the BGE, what do you use for wood? Chunks of wood set on top of the charcoal?

How do you add more wood?

On my Weber, I make two piles of charcoal on each side for indirect cooking setting the turkey in the middle. The grate has openings that fold over easily so you just drop another hickory chunk on the coals every hour or so. Super easy.

Does BGE have something similar?

J

The site says you can re-use charcoal? Does this actually work? What is cleanup like? Sounds like you have to get ash out through the bottom with some sort of tool? Is this a pain?
when you are done cooking, you close the bottom vent and top and it smothers out the fire. The next time you use it, the coal is all in there and it is good to go again. I can get around 10-12 cooks out of a 20 pound bag depending on how long I cook each time.As far as clean up, I just stir the coal around a little so I get rid of the small chunks and ash so my airflow is good. I will clean the ash out of the bottom maybe once a month.

For you guys that know - when you're smoking pork shoulder or turkey or chicken on the BGE, what do you use for wood? Chunks of wood set on top of the charcoal?How do you add more wood?On my Weber, I make two piles of charcoal on each side for indirect cooking setting the turkey in the middle. The grate has openings that fold over easily so you just drop another hickory chunk on the coals every hour or so. Super easy.Does BGE have something similar?J
when smoking food, I add a couple of chunks of wood in the begining right before I add the meat. You can add chunks of wood around in the lump that isnt burning, these chunks would smoke as the lump around it catches fire. Once the meat is on the grill though the only way to add more chunks would be to lift the great and drop it in. Not too efficent. I cant imagine adding smoke every hour in the egg. The meat would be so smokey as to be uneatible. You have to remember that the lump you burn imparts a subtle smoke flavor to the meat too. Plus meat absorbs the most during the first hour or so. Poultry though can absorb smoke the entire cook. What you should do first if buy some lump and use it in your weber and see if you like it. Dont add the meat right away though after lighting it. wait about 15 minutes and let the fire get going. Otherwise you food will be too smokey.

Last edited by a moderator:
For you guys that know - when you're smoking pork shoulder or turkey or chicken on the BGE, what do you use for wood? Chunks of wood set on top of the charcoal?How do you add more wood?On my Weber, I make two piles of charcoal on each side for indirect cooking setting the turkey in the middle. The grate has openings that fold over easily so you just drop another hickory chunk on the coals every hour or so. Super easy.Does BGE have something similar?J
when smoking food, I add a couple of chunks of wood in the begining right before I add the meat. You can add chunks of wood around in the lump that isnt burning, these chunks would smoke as the lump around it catches fire. Once the meat is on the grill though the only way to add more chunks would be to lift the great and drop it in. Not too efficent. I cant imagine adding smoke every hour in the egg. The meat would be so smokey as to be uneatible. You have to remember that the lump you burn imparts a subtle smoke flavor to the meat too. Plus meat absorbs the most during the first hour or so. Poultry though can absorb smoke the entire cook. What you should do first if buy some lump and use it in your weber and see if you like it. Dont add the meat right away though after lighting it. wait about 15 minutes and let the fire get going. Otherwise you food will be too smokey.
When you set a baseball sized chunk of wood on the coals, how long does it last before burning up?And earlier, did yousay you cooked for 16 hours without ever having to add more charcoal? I really don't understand this.J

When you set a baseball sized chunk of wood on the coals, how long does it last before burning up?And earlier, did yousay you cooked for 16 hours without ever having to add more charcoal? I really don't understand this.J
1st off, you have to realize that you get some smoke just from the lump charcoal. I put 3-4 baseball sided chunks on the outer side of the coal and it is plenty. I have cooked a 10 pound pork butt for 20 hours on the same load of coal. It has to do with the way that the egg insulates from the outside and holds the heat in. After 20 hours, I still had enough lump for 3 or 4 more hours. That was at 225-250 degrees.

1st off, you have to realize that you get some smoke just from the lump charcoal. I put 3-4 baseball sided chunks on the outer side of the coal and it is plenty. I have cooked a 10 pound pork butt for 20 hours on the same load of coal. It has to do with the way that the egg insulates from the outside and holds the heat in. After 20 hours, I still had enough lump for 3 or 4 more hours. That was at 225-250 degrees.
How long does a baseball sized chunk of wood last?J

an hour or so. The reason you can get such a long burn time is because the egg is so well insulated.

finally got the sucker put together.

I have a 4lb chicken on there now, and am hoping to do a Boston Butt in time for the game tonight.

an hour or so. The reason you can get such a long burn time is because the egg is so well insulated.
This is where I'm confused. A chunk of wood last 15 hours like limpdog says or 1 hour like boots says?I would think 1 hour.But if that's the case, you have to take the grill off every hour to add more hickory chunks?I know lump charcoal imparts a smokey taste that regular charcoal doesn't have. But I I don't think it's anywhere near the volume of smoke I'd want that I'm used to having with a chunk of hickory on top of the coals. But I don't see taking the thing apart to add hickory every hour.Help?J

The DVD that came with the BGE, said to place the soaked chips in a spiral pattern allowing them to burn more evenly as the lump charcoal burns.

I tried this with the Boston Butt that is currently on the BGE and was almost blinded by the amount of smoke that came out. It really stores the smoke well.

The chicken was really good. Better thanI ever did on the grill using indirect heat.

Total cook time was a little over an hour. I cut the legs, thighs and breasts out and shredded the rest which is currently resting in some BBQ sauce.

I may gain 20lbs using this thing....Maybe I will do the Atkins diet until the newness of the BGE has run it's course.

This is where I'm confused. A chunk of wood last 15 hours like limpdog says or 1 hour like boots says?I would think 1 hour.But if that's the case, you have to take the grill off every hour to add more hickory chunks?I know lump charcoal imparts a smokey taste that regular charcoal doesn't have. But I I don't think it's anywhere near the volume of smoke I'd want that I'm used to having with a chunk of hickory on top of the coals. But I don't see taking the thing apart to add hickory every hour.Help?J
it lasts for a long time.When I did my last 10 pound butt, it cooked for 20 hours and I never added any more wood chunks.

So far I have cooked 4 things.

1st attempt was beer can chicken, it came out amazing and in only a little over an hour.

2nd attempt was about a 4lb Boston Butt, it too was very good and had a nice smoke ring to boot.

3rd attempt was a small brisket. I think I needed to let it sit on the smoker for a little longer, the temp was right, but it needed more time to soften up IMO.

Just did a large ribeye that I got form the market counter. It was at least an inch thick. Got the Egg up to about 600* and seared it for about two minutes on each side, then closed off the yop and bottom openings and let it sit for another 4 minutes. Took it off and let it rest for about 5 minutes then tore into it. By far one of the best steaks I have had in a while. I will try some filets on Sunday.

One thing I have learned is to be careful when first putting the lump charcoal in. Instead of just dumping it in, you really need to be aware of the size of the chunks and where they are. Smaller chunks can clog the air holes in the fire ring and will keep the BGE from reaching it's maximum potential.

As far as a smoker, I am amazed at how much moisture this thing holds in. I am going to try and throw a pork shoulder on early tomorrow morning and let it smoke for 12 hours and then pull it and give it out to the folks.

So far I have cooked 4 things.

1st attempt was beer can chicken, it came out amazing and in only a little over an hour.

2nd attempt was about a 4lb Boston Butt, it too was very good and had a nice smoke ring to boot.

3rd attempt was a small brisket. I think I needed to let it sit on the smoker for a little longer, the temp was right, but it needed more time to soften up IMO.

Just did a large ribeye that I got form the market counter. It was at least an inch thick. Got the Egg up to about 600* and seared it for about two minutes on each side, then closed off the yop and bottom openings and let it sit for another 4 minutes. Took it off and let it rest for about 5 minutes then tore into it. By far one of the best steaks I have had in a while. I will try some filets on Sunday.

One thing I have learned is to be careful when first putting the lump charcoal in. Instead of just dumping it in, you really need to be aware of the size of the chunks and where they are. Smaller chunks can clog the air holes in the fire ring and will keep the BGE from reaching it's maximum potential.

As far as a smoker, I am amazed at how much moisture this thing holds in. I am going to try and throw a pork shoulder on early tomorrow morning and let it smoke for 12 hours and then pull it and give it out to the folks.
Do yourself a favor and the next time you do steaks, use this method. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

Need to replace my Weber, and the BGE comes highly recommended.

Tat--how is it working for you?

quick question for BGE owners:

I really this thing weighs about 200 lbs, am I completely crazy for thinking I might buy one to take on vacation with me (driving to outerbanks)? Probably going to buy the mid-sized one. I really want it for the trip because I can grill and smoke on it. I currently own a Weber Bullet which I could take instead, but I really want the versatility of the egg.

quick question for BGE owners:

I really this thing weighs about 200 lbs, am I completely crazy for thinking I might buy one to take on vacation with me (driving to outerbanks)? Probably going to buy the mid-sized one. I really want it for the trip because I can grill and smoke on it. I currently own a Weber Bullet which I could take instead, but I really want the versatility of the egg.
I have a large and I intend to take it with me camping this year. Removing the fire ring and fire box inside will reduce the weight and then my friend and I will lift in and out of car using thishttp://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/v/vspfiles...POTLIFTER-2.jpg

Add another name to the FBG Egghead list.

After only three days with my BGE, I'm absolutely amazed at how efficient and precise it is both as a grill and smoker. Considering the amount of fuel I had been using on the offset, I'm also convinced it won't take long before the initial sticker more than justifies itself.

I've done steaks, burgers, ribs, wings and cookies thus far and have yet to make it through a single bag of charcoal.

If you're concerned about the cost and don't want to drop down in size, Craigslist is your friend. There's a reason why these have a lifetime warranty.

Another BGE owner here (size large purchased about a year ago) Absolutely fantastic cooking device and a ton of fun to master. I did 6 pizzas this past weekend for Mother's Day and my brother who is a VERY picky guy when it comes to food said that they were absolutely comparible to some of the best ones he's had in New York. Basically, it is a smoker, grill, wood-fired pizza oven....it does it all.

I think I am going to pull the trigger in about a month. Want to take it to outer banks with me so I can have a two in one grill/smoker. Own a WSM and it has been great, but my charcoal grill is just a pain in ### (barrel style horribly designed thing - should never have strayed from the tried and true webers). Uses way too much fuel and creates such an fn mess.

I also like the idea of being able to SUPER sear steaks and bake crap (without modifying the WSM).

I think I am going to pull the trigger in about a month. Want to take it to outer banks with me so I can have a two in one grill/smoker. Own a WSM and it has been great, but my charcoal grill is just a pain in ### (barrel style horribly designed thing - should never have strayed from the tried and true webers). Uses way too much fuel and creates such an fn mess.

I also like the idea of being able to SUPER sear steaks and bake crap (without modifying the WSM).
I'm sorry to say that even those are not so tried and true anymore. I have a 20 plus year old kettle that has never been under a cover that has no rust. The wife got me the Weber One Tough Gold for Father's day last year. The notion of cleaning the thing out without having to dump the whole thing into a trashcan appealed to me. Less than a year later it has rust where the handle attaches to the lid. I had to add extra screws to keep the legs from falling out when I lifted it up. And I had to tweak the charcoal basket as it didn't fit together right. I'll use this weber for a while but the BGE is on the horizon as my next grill. Totally disappointed in the Weber. Evidently they moved the production facility to China....Sad....

I'm sorry to say that even those are not so tried and true anymore. I have a 20 plus year old kettle that has never been under a cover that has no rust. The wife got me the Weber One Tough Gold for Father's day last year. The notion of cleaning the thing out without having to dump the whole thing into a trashcan appealed to me. Less than a year later it has rust where the handle attaches to the lid. I had to add extra screws to keep the legs from falling out when I lifted it up. And I had to tweak the charcoal basket as it didn't fit together right. I'll use this weber for a while but the BGE is on the horizon as my next grill. Totally disappointed in the Weber. Evidently they moved the production facility to China....Sad....
That sucks. My parent's have one that is still running strong. Granted, they don't you it as often, but that thing has been in the same condition for at least 20 years.The old one I had (about 3-4 years ago) had the legs falling out problem too.

That sucks. My parent's have one that is still running strong. Granted, they don't you it as often, but that thing has been in the same condition for at least 20 years.The old one I had (about 3-4 years ago) had the legs falling out problem too.
The problem with the one I have that is really old is the legs. The little triangular shelf at the bottom fell out years ago. No big deal. I never used it for anything. The whole where one of the points of the triangle rusted a bit. For a while I just used electrical tape to keep it in place and finally just pitched it. Well that spot where it rusted broke clean through so now my old one is tilted a couple of inches. I can set that leg on a brick and is is just about level. But the main kettle has no rust. My new one. Less than a year old. Rust. It's a flippin shame. Death to an American Icon of Grilling in the name of cheap labor...

I remember seeing somewhere, and I thought it was here, a basic description of how to make your own raised grate for the BGE by using some basic long bolts, nuts and washers.

Anyone?

This is probably over kill with the liquid, but here is how I cook chicken breasts and thighs.

Throw 2 packages from Costco in a bowl with crushed garli c, olive oil, lemon pepper and crushed black pepper. I let this sit in the fridge over night.

Fire up the egg and get it to about 250.

I use lots of different types of wood for smoke, but for something like this I usually use a couple lumps of apple.

I put a foild pan on the top of the grill about 1/3 full of apple cider and then put another grill on top of that. Drop on the chicken, close the lid and come back about 2-3 hours later. perfection.

It was asked earlier how to add more wood when cooking with the BGE.

I do it a couple of different ways. Put some lumps in with the charcoal but off to the side. if you need more smoke stir them in with the coal stirrer. option 2 is to use the little wood pellets. you can throw a handle full of these through the grate and they put off quite a bit of smoke actually.

Am considering purchasing one of these, as I've heard nothing but good things about them for years.

The link to barbecues.com posted earlier is obviously out of date by now, but it looks as though they don't even carry the BGE anymore anyway.

Am considering the medium egg, and my local distributors have that listed at $499 + the cost of the nest.

Is anyone seeing something better online, or have any suggestions as to how to get this knocked down a little?

Am considering purchasing one of these, as I've heard nothing but good things about them for years.The link to barbecues.com posted earlier is obviously out of date by now, but it looks as though they don't even carry the BGE anymore anyway.Am considering the medium egg, and my local distributors have that listed at $499 + the cost of the nest.Is anyone seeing something better online, or have any suggestions as to how to get this knocked down a little?
I couldn't find anywhere that priced/sold them online.good luck and it is a good purchase. Very happy with mine.

Most online sellers are not ***official*** retail outlets, so they don't honor the warranty...Plus shipping would be a bear for those things

Am considering purchasing one of these, as I've heard nothing but good things about them for years.The link to barbecues.com posted earlier is obviously out of date by now, but it looks as though they don't even carry the BGE anymore anyway.Am considering the medium egg, and my local distributors have that listed at $499 + the cost of the nest.Is anyone seeing something better online, or have any suggestions as to how to get this knocked down a little?
I couldn't find anywhere that priced/sold them online.good luck and it is a good purchase. Very happy with mine.
If you want to save money, find out if where you live they hold an Eggtober fest. Egg sellers usually have a big even in October where Egg Heads get together and cook like crazy (its like a cult). These parties are lots of fun where you get to eat and drink for cheap. The distributors usually have demo eggs that are used that day only for the fest, they then sell these eggs for much cheaper then new. Usually you need to contact the store before the event as everyone snaps these cheaper eggs up. Go to biggreenegg.com and see if there is a fest where you live. If not still buy one as these are the best cookers around. I live in MN and slow cook pulled pork for 15 hours in sub zero temps and dont need to add charcoal through the cook.

my buddies have one. we smoked nearly an entire pig in the talladega infield one year. we were the envy of many. all i did was drink though. pork was awesome.

helpful i know/

If you want to save money, find out if where you live they hold an Eggtober fest. Egg sellers usually have a big even in October where Egg Heads get together and cook like crazy (its like a cult). These parties are lots of fun where you get to eat and drink for cheap. The distributors usually have demo eggs that are used that day only for the fest, they then sell these eggs for much cheaper then new. Usually you need to contact the store before the event as everyone snaps these cheaper eggs up. Go to biggreenegg.com and see if there is a fest where you live. If not still buy one as these are the best cookers around. I live in MN and slow cook pulled pork for 15 hours in sub zero temps and dont need to add charcoal through the cook.
:lmao: Great to know. Just looked online and they have a bunch coming up, but nowhere near me... :lmao:Will likely still go ahead and get one. I just hear too many good things....

Will likely still go ahead and get one. I just hear too many good things....
I think you will enjoy it.My daughter told me the other day my Webber looks sad because I never use it any more :lmao:The only thing I always stress to potential buyers is to buy as big a BGE as you can afford. The bigger the cooking surface, the more flexibility you can have.

I think you will enjoy it.My daughter told me the other day my Webber looks sad because I never use it any more :thumbup:

The only thing I always stress to potential buyers is to buy as big a BGE as you can afford. The bigger the cooking surface, the more flexibility you can have.
Exactly. The Large is about the size of a weber, maybe a little smaller. When I pull the trigger it's the full on XL and the full on $1K price tag.

EGGfest in Springfield MO on September 26th. 4 hours away. Is it worth the drive for a shot at getting a used one on the cheap?

I think you will enjoy it.My daughter told me the other day my Webber looks sad because I never use it any more :goodposting:The only thing I always stress to potential buyers is to buy as big a BGE as you can afford. The bigger the cooking surface, the more flexibility you can have.
Let's say you're a casual griller, grilling for 1-2 people mostly, but up to 8 or so at times. You're mostly a steaks and chicken guy, open to expanding your grilling know-how - but probably never going to be anywhere near some of the big guys (Fanatic, JB, [icon], etc.) in the grilling threads.Would a medium or large suffice?

Users who are viewing this thread