What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

If you do high-temp cooks, you'll lost your old-style gasket after a few cooks. I do pizzas at 700+ and my gasket is just about gone..
I have been doing high temp cooks for 6 years on my current gasket with no issues.It is not black and white. There is a significant variable factor in the glue alone that allows some to fail faster and some to last much longer.
Right but you have a Nomex, not the standard that comes with an Egg. The standard is junk and fries off. It practically catches fire, although not quite.

The Nomex is supposed to be able to handle high temps. That's what the company sends customers who ask (or purchase).

The gasket thing is overrated. Once my nomex looks shot I'll just run without one. That seems to be the way most of the hardcores are going these days.

The gasket thing is overrated. Once my nomex looks shot I'll just run without one. That seems to be the way most of the hardcores are going these days.
Yup, that is the general consensus amongst many now. I still like the gasket as a bumper so that ceramic does not hit ceramic but in terms of heat control, too many people have proven the gasket is meaningless.

If you do high-temp cooks, you'll lost your old-style gasket after a few cooks. I do pizzas at 700+ and my gasket is just about gone..
I have been doing high temp cooks for 6 years on my current gasket with no issues.It is not black and white. There is a significant variable factor in the glue alone that allows some to fail faster and some to last much longer.
Right but you have a Nomex, not the standard that comes with an Egg. The standard is junk and fries off. It practically catches fire, although not quite. The Nomex is supposed to be able to handle high temps. That's what the company sends customers who ask (or purchase).
Yes I agree. My first one failed very quickly. Nomex is the way to go. They sent me mine years ago when the first one failed and it has worked great.

Reminder that this is a good time of the year to calibrate your dome thermometer. Just get some water boiling, stick the thermometer in. If it does not read exactly 212, there is a little hex nut that you can twist with a wrench to align the thermometer to 212.
Good call. By the way, I use a chimney to start. A little messier than other options but probably the fastest.
Couple of questions about chimney. What is the typical time from lighting the chimney until you can get the Egg up to say 350? It is around 15 minutes for an electric starter. When you light the chimney, where do you put it if on a deck? Do you have a cement slab to sit it on or something like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't mean to hijack but I am going to get a new grill in July. Torn between an Egg and Kamado Joe but leaning towards the Joe. Anyone else have a Kamado Joe that can share their experiences?
I don't but I'll say this. The lifetime warranty alone is worth it on the Egg. Again, I cook often at high temps and I've cracked the firebox and firering. I don't know if I got a bad batch but those parts are good for life. I've had them both replaced, no charge whatsoever (I pick up the components where I bought it).
Looking at their website it appears that the Kamado Joe and Big Green Egg have identical warranties.

Don't mean to hijack but I am going to get a new grill in July. Torn between an Egg and Kamado Joe but leaning towards the Joe. Anyone else have a Kamado Joe that can share their experiences?
I don't but I'll say this. The lifetime warranty alone is worth it on the Egg. Again, I cook often at high temps and I've cracked the firebox and firering. I don't know if I got a bad batch but those parts are good for life. I've had them both replaced, no charge whatsoever (I pick up the components where I bought it).
I don't have a Kamado Joe either but will agree with Sandeman's post that BGE customer service and various gaurentees are excellent. Godsbrother, there has been talk of the Kamado Joe over the years in this thread if you want to search to see some thoughts.

I don't have a Kamado Joe either but will agree with Sandeman's post that BGE customer service and various gaurentees are excellent.Godsbrother, there has been talk of the Kamado Joe over the years in this thread if you want to search to see some thoughts.
Thanks. I'll take the time to read through this thread before making a decision.

Anone have a "Mini" Green Egg? I won one a few weeks at BGE headquarters here in Georgia and still haven't found a use for it. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough?
They seem too small to me at first blush but people make due some how even cooking whole chickens on the mini. Here is a thread with various cooks people have performed on the mini. It might give you some ideas.http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=941464&catid=1
Nice... Thank you!

Reminder that this is a good time of the year to calibrate your dome thermometer. Just get some water boiling, stick the thermometer in. If it does not read exactly 212, there is a little hex nut that you can twist with a wrench to align the thermometer to 212.
Good call. By the way, I use a chimney to start. A little messier than other options but probably the fastest.
Couple if questions about chimney.What is the typical time from lighting the chimney until you can get the Egg up to say 350? It is around 15 minutes for an electric starter.When you light the chimney, where do you put it if on a deck? Do you have a cement slab to sit it on or something like that?
I can get the Egg to 350 in 15 minutes but what I can't do is have the plate setter, grill and (if necessary) the pizza stone in there at the same time, so when I drop those in, the temperature drops for a while. I assume the electric route has the same problems. But I rarely cook at a precise 350 to start. I'm either cooking at 225 to 250, in which case I will wait more than 15 minutes to assure that I've got temperature control, or I will open everything up and shoot for 600 to 700. If I am cooking at 350 or 400, I am either at the end of a cook and looking to crisp up a chicken, for example, or I am just grilling something, in which case I can work within a wide temperature range.Oh, I put the chimney on the deck after making sure I knock off all the embers. I don't like doing so now that I've got kids so I need to get a paver or something and put it some place safer.

If you do high-temp cooks, you'll lost your old-style gasket after a few cooks. I do pizzas at 700+ and my gasket is just about gone.

I disagree that losing a gasket does not affect temperature control. Again, mine is just about gone and just last weekend, I had a hard time keeping the Egg at 400. I could see lots of smoke coming out of the gap, which means air can get in and make temp control difficult. That said, I think I could make an adjustment to the rigging so that the gap is smaller (I think I've lost some fidelity here over time and probarly need to readjust the entire thing).

I called the mother ship earlier this week and requested a new gasket. They put one in the mail, free of charge even though I'm about a year out of warranty (one year). Talk to Bruce.
Just called, didn't get Bruce. I'm about 2 weeks over my one year and he wouldn't give me a new gasket. maybe I'll try again another day and ask for Bruce.

If you do high-temp cooks, you'll lost your old-style gasket after a few cooks. I do pizzas at 700+ and my gasket is just about gone.

I disagree that losing a gasket does not affect temperature control. Again, mine is just about gone and just last weekend, I had a hard time keeping the Egg at 400. I could see lots of smoke coming out of the gap, which means air can get in and make temp control difficult. That said, I think I could make an adjustment to the rigging so that the gap is smaller (I think I've lost some fidelity here over time and probarly need to readjust the entire thing).

I called the mother ship earlier this week and requested a new gasket. They put one in the mail, free of charge even though I'm about a year out of warranty (one year). Talk to Bruce.
Just called, didn't get Bruce. I'm about 2 weeks over my one year and he wouldn't give me a new gasket. maybe I'll try again another day and ask for Bruce.
Make sure you get the warranty department, not the customer service department. If you did, I'd call back until you get Bruce.

Make sure you get the warranty department, not the customer service department. If you did, I'd call back until you get Bruce.
ah, ok. I got customer service. I'll try again tomorrow...thx.

Couple if questions about chimney.What is the typical time from lighting the chimney until you can get the Egg up to say 350? It is around 15 minutes for an electric starter.When you light the chimney, where do you put it if on a deck? Do you have a cement slab to sit it on or something like that?
I can get the Egg to 350 in 15 minutes but what I can't do is have the plate setter, grill and (if necessary) the pizza stone in there at the same time, so when I drop those in, the temperature drops for a while. I assume the electric route has the same problems..
Yes electric has same issues.

I don't have a Kamado Joe either but will agree with Sandeman's post that BGE customer service and various gaurentees are excellent.Godsbrother, there has been talk of the Kamado Joe over the years in this thread if you want to search to see some thoughts.
Thanks. I'll take the time to read through this thread before making a decision.
I love my KJ. I've posted in here before about it, but I can't think of any reason not to choose it over the egg. Not knocking the BGE, but KJ is at least as good as far as quality. Why pay more?

I think the choice in ceramics should be between Primo and BGE imo. KJ is certainly a reasonable third choice and everyone that has them seems to be happy with them.

You can always find eggs at eggfests for pretty serious discounts.

I think the choice in ceramics should be between Primo and BGE imo. KJ is certainly a reasonable third choice and everyone that has them seems to be happy with them.

?? KJ is actually a little thicker than BGE. Any reason you say that?

Not following. Some of the main reasons I'd go BGE over egg are also aesthetic based reasons. They all perform the cooking functions well.

Not following. Some of the main reasons I'd go BGE over egg are also aesthetic based reasons. They all perform the cooking functions well.
I'm just not sure what would make BGE a better choice than KJ. If you just like it cause it's green, that's cool. Just wondering

I think the choice in ceramics should be between Primo and BGE imo. KJ is certainly a reasonable third choice and everyone that has them seems to be happy with them. You can always find eggs at eggfests for pretty serious discounts.
He maybe thought when you said "the choice in ceramics" meant to choose between the actual ceramic material each grill was using, when I think you were really just saying "the choice between ceramic grill types".

I think the choice in ceramics should be between Primo and BGE imo. KJ is certainly a reasonable third choice and everyone that has them seems to be happy with them. You can always find eggs at eggfests for pretty serious discounts.
He maybe thought when you said "the choice in ceramics" meant to choose between the actual ceramic material each grill was using, when I think you were really just saying "the choice between ceramic grill types".
That is correct.

I'm just not sure what would make BGE a better choice than KJ. If you just like it cause it's green, that's cool. Just wondering
It makes a nice presentation to a back yard area, yeah. I like the support you can get from accessories and custom rigs for it. Is it worth the cost? I dunno.

I don't know much about the KJs cost-wise but if you are bent on a BGE or are put off by the high price, note that you can negotiate the price with the right reseller. I did a lot of research for my XL and worked with a few resellers to knock the price down. I essentially pit them against each other and wound up paying $900 out the door. That was a great price two years ago and $200 or so less than the retail price the reseller was asking for.

proninja said:
This might sound a little hokey, but I absolutely love getting up in the morning and putting dinner together on this thing, and then cooking all day. It requires just enough monitoring to make me feel like I'm doing something, but not so much that I can't go out and grab something if I need it, or leave it with the wife. Cooking something on my egg is becoming a day off ritual, and I'm really enjoying it.

It also makes me want to start brewing beer again.
I have been brewing for almost 20 years but had a 3 or 4 year period of not brewing. Not sure why I stopped, I had always liked to brew but just didn't think about it. I started back up again about 5 years ago and brew about 8 times a year now. Now when I brew I always do it on a weekend day and invite some buddies over to brew, BBQ, drink beer and smoke cigars. It is really a great time.

proninja said:
This might sound a little hokey, but I absolutely love getting up in the morning and putting dinner together on this thing, and then cooking all day. It requires just enough monitoring to make me feel like I'm doing something, but not so much that I can't go out and grab something if I need it, or leave it with the wife. Cooking something on my egg is becoming a day off ritual, and I'm really enjoying it.
best part of retirement for me. :)

proninja said:
This might sound a little hokey, but I absolutely love getting up in the morning and putting dinner together on this thing, and then cooking all day. It requires just enough monitoring to make me feel like I'm doing something, but not so much that I can't go out and grab something if I need it, or leave it with the wife. Cooking something on my egg is becoming a day off ritual, and I'm really enjoying it. It also makes me want to start brewing beer again.
I have been brewing for almost 20 years but had a 3 or 4 year period of not brewing. Not sure why I stopped, I had always liked to brew but just didn't think about it. I started back up again about 5 years ago and brew about 8 times a year now. Now when I brew I always do it on a weekend day and invite some buddies over to brew, BBQ, drink beer and smoke cigars. It is really a great time.
Uncanny description of my Sunday last weekend. I brewed with a couple other guys in my garage while I had ribs going on the egg. Had several beers with the guys and all the neighbors who stop by when they see us brewing, and worked in a cigar as things were winding down. Also managed to cut the grass (and my neighbor's) during the mash. It takes a bit of planning and I need to rely on my wife to manage the kids most all of the day. What a great way to spend a weekend day for an old boring guy like me.

The cast iron grate is really the best thing you could buy for the egg.
why?
Typically they hold high temperature heat better and will give you better grill marks for your steaks. I cook my steaks in a cast iron pan using Alton Brown's method, so I have always stock with the stock grid.
Grill marks are a defect imo.
Some people love them. To each his own I guess. I think they look nice but since I prefer a pan cook fir my steaks, I don't get any. Taste always overrides appearance for me.

why?
Typically they hold high temperature heat better and will give you better grill marks for your steaks. I cook my steaks in a cast iron pan using Alton Brown's method, so I have always stock with the stock grid.
Some people love them. To each his own I guess. I think they look nice but since I prefer a pan cook fir my steaks, I don't get any. Taste always overrides appearance for me.
Grill marks mean you have a temp control issue. It's like "Fall apart ribs" some people just like them that way, but for judging it's a mark down.

Grill marks scream applebees to me, not someone that is OCD about food.

Here's what my hero says about the subject

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_grill_marks_and_flipping_meat.html

why?
Grill marks mean you have a temp control issue. It's like "Fall apart ribs" some people just like them that way, but for judging it's a mark down.

Grill marks scream applebees to me, now someone that is OCD about food.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_grill_marks_and_flipping_meat.html
And yet on Chopped, with some pretty distinguished judges, they always compliment the grill marks.

Weekend plans

-Saturday - Pizza. It's been awhile.

-Sunday - Something from the humble sheep. Probably a giant leg, but I've had amazing results with shoulder lately.

Also will go shopping for cabinets for my built in.

Weekend plans

-Sunday - Something from the humble sheep. Probably a giant leg, but I've had amazing results with shoulder lately.

why?

And yet on Chopped, with some pretty distinguished judges, they always compliment the grill marks.
Chopped doesn't usually have dining critics. They tend to be restaurant types that know what markets well.

Weekend plans -Saturday - Pizza. It's been awhile.-Sunday - Something from the humble sheep. Probably a giant leg, but I've had amazing results with shoulder lately. Also will go shopping for cabinets for my built in.
Doing pizza tonight myself :)What temp do you do yours at? I keep experimenting but have not settled.

Weekend plans

why?

Chopped doesn't usually have dining critics. They tend to be restaurant types that know what markets well.
Agreed, very few dining critics but they are pretty decent chefs in their own right.

Weekend plans

Doing pizza tonight myself What temp do you do yours at? I keep experimenting but have not settled.
I put my wedding ring in there. If it melts down I figure I got it too hot.

Weekend plans -Saturday - Pizza. It's been awhile.-Sunday - Something from the humble sheep. Probably a giant leg, but I've had amazing results with shoulder lately. Also will go shopping for cabinets for my built in.
Doing pizza tonight myself :)What temp do you do yours at? I keep experimenting but have not settled.
I put my wedding ring in there. If it melts down I figure I got it too hot. :moneybag:
How thick would you say your crust is (thin, medium or thick), and how long do you cook for (assume you put all the toppings on at once?).

Weekend plans

Doing pizza tonight myself What temp do you do yours at? I keep experimenting but have not settled.
How thick would you say your crust is (thin, medium or thick), and how long do you cook for (assume you put all the toppings on at once?).
Super thin. Barely holding together. Use Tipo00 flour and let it rise and push down and rise again 2x.

Usually takes somewhere between 4 and 6 minutes tops. I try to rotate it around at least 180 if not 360 degrees to control for hot spots. I can get a feel for how long it will cook when I spin it. I wear my welding gloves for that step as I've melted all the hair off my hands doing that in the past.

Weekend plans

Super thin. Barely holding together. Use Tipo00 flour and let it rise and push down and rise again 2x.

Usually takes somewhere between 4 and 6 minutes tops. I try to rotate it around at least 180 if not 360 degrees to control for hot spots. I can get a feel for how long it will cook when I spin it. I wear my welding gloves for that step as I've melted all the hair off my hands doing that in the past.
What good would rotating it 360 degrees do?

Hopefully not going over stuff already covered in this thread but which accessories are the most critical for the Big Green egg (other than a nest)?

Weekend plans

What good would rotating it 360 degrees do?
I dunno I've seen youtube videos where guys spin the damn things like 1080 in the egg.

proninja said:
Question for you guys -

I slept in this morning, and after making breakfast and prep I didn't get my two 7 pound butts on the smoker and up to temp until 10 or so. I've got people coming over at 6, would like to take them off then and let sit in foil for a half hour or so after. Goldwyn says prep for 2 hours/lb at between 225 and 250, which would put me at midnight. So I've got it at about 285 right now, been on about 90 miinutes, and my meat is at 86,

I realize it probably won't be perfect, but I'd like to get it to 203 by 6pm. Any idea on what temp I should be running? Suggestions?
Wrap it in foil once it stalls at or around 150 and keep it there. 285 is fine for now. You can push the heat more once you have them in foil, not before imo. Keep the smoke heavy for now as it won't pick up much more smoke between now and then.

If you are in a super panic cut them into 2 parts each, but that's probably not necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread