What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

MCguidance said:
AcerFC said:
I opened the egg yesterday and found a ton of mold all over

:wall:
When was the last time you used it? Just fire it up and let it burn hot as can be for half an hour.

Also, use it more to avoid this in the future :hifive:
Cant remember the last time. Agreed

Ok what is everyone prefered method of preoaring and cooking chicken wings? My wife likes the skin crispy.
for wings you are going to have to air dry in the fridge for 24hrs at a minimum. From there it's gonna depend on what sort of flavors you want to build.

Ok what is everyone prefered method of preoaring and cooking chicken wings? My wife likes the skin crispy.
for wings you are going to have to air dry in the fridge for 24hrs at a minimum. From there it's gonna depend on what sort of flavors you want to build.
Yep, leave uncovered overnight. I use a bunch of flavors but butter and your choice of hot sauce in direct, high in the some works well for me.

MCguidance said:
culdeus said:
Yep, leave uncovered overnight. I use a bunch of flavors but butter and your choice of hot sauce in direct, high in the some works well for me.
Roughly what temp?

MCguidance said:
culdeus said:
Roughly what temp?
375*above plate setter and drip pan; 45 min to hour, turning every 15-20.

MCguidance said:
culdeus said:
Roughly what temp?
If you are above the platesetter no real reason to turn.

MCguidance said:
culdeus said:
Roughly what temp?
If you are above the platesetter no real reason to turn.
Very true. A good point but I usually do if I'm packing them in and the fire is a bit uneven.

Dregde wings in seasoned baking powder (or is it soda?) before the overnight fridge dry out and you amp up the crispy factor.

Best prime rib I've ever made tonight. Easy, too.

Let meat get to room temp.

Dizzy Pig Rasing the Steaks rub liberally applied.

Indirect set up at 250*.

Let meat get to 100* and pull from grid.

Let rest for 15 min and set up Egg wide open, still indirect.

Put meat back on and get to desired temp*, remove from grid.

Rest for 15*

Eat. With or without bernaise sauce.

Unreal.

Leftovers were equally as good.

Sliced very thin on deli slicer.

Butter a cast iron and slightly brown meat.

Place cheese in pan and toss.

Place in bread of choice (I used Italian bread).

Bit of salt and pepper.

Great open faced steak sandwich.

I noticed some "country style" ribs at the butcher. Reading up on it and some say to cook like a pork chop and others do it low and slow.

Anyone have experience with these?

Pulled pork tomorrow! :thumbup:

I noticed some "country style" ribs at the butcher. Reading up on it and some say to cook like a pork chop and others do it low and slow.

Are they boneless or semi boneless?

I prefer to braise them as that is the only way I can get them as tender as I like. They are not a rib. Pork chop is a better example of the texture of the meat.

I prefer to braise them as that is the only way I can get them as tender as I like. They are not a rib. Pork chop is a better example of the texture of the meat.
I guess they're semi-boneless. From what I've read it's actually a shoulder bone not a rib bone.

I guess they're semi-boneless. From what I've read it's actually a shoulder bone not a rib bone.
yeah, terribly named cut of meat. It tastes nothing like rib meat.

Here is exactly how I do mine

Preheat Egg to 350, set up for direct heat

2 bell peppers chopped corse

1 onion sliced thick

1 jalapeno diced (if you like hotter keep seeds, else remove)

Clean all excess fat off of ribs

On stove top, in a dutch oven with oil, sear meat on all sides until brown and then remove

Saute veggies in dutch oven for a few minutes

add meat back in

Add in your favorite bbq sauce, thinned out with apple juice. The consistency should be like a thick soup

Stir to mix everything well

Put covered dutch oven into Egg and let cook for 2-3 hours, stirring every 20 or so minutes. Watch this closely though after 90 minutes, the liquid can evaporate quickly if you are not careful. You need the liquid to help the braising process and to keep the meat from getting nuked by the direct heat under the dutch oven

Cook until the meat is fork tender

Serve mixture over white rice

When the meat is tender, your liquid should have reduced down nicely into a thick, flavorful almost syrup like consistency that adds flavor to the rice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked this in the cooking thread but did not get a response so I will try here

Question:

I like sometimes using root beer to help flavor my BBQ sauces.

I was looking around for a new recipe for a root beer sauce and ran into a recipe that also mentioned that the rack of ribs could marinate directly in the root beer itself (not the bbq sauce, just pure root beer).

Are there any issues with marinating pork in such a sweet liquid?

I asked this in the cooking thread but did not get a response so I will try here

Question:

I like sometimes using root beer to help flavor my BBQ sauces.

I was looking around for a new recipe for a root beer sauce and ran into a recipe that also mentioned that the rack of ribs could marinate directly in the root beer itself (not the bbq sauce, just pure root beer).

Are there any issues with marinating pork in such a sweet liquid?
How long do you intend to do so? I don't know if I would keep it over night, but that doesn't mean you can't do so.

I've been BBQing like a maniac these last few days. I've woken up, fired up the grill and made all three of yesterdays meals on the egg. Started with an egg dish in a cast iron, then some dizzy pig thighs, and then some burgers stuffed with sauted mushrooms and blue cheese. Tremendous.

Tonight will be jalepeno peppers stuffed with cream cheese, a dash of dizzy pig, shrimp, and then wrapped in bacon. 400 indirect, high in the dome.

I picked up "Beef Back Ribs" today.

Any suggestions on how to cook these?

This site suggested 6-7 hours at 225.

http://www.thesmokering.com/index.php/bbq-beef-ribs
I have these on the Egg now. The method above does not use a foil section of the cook. Is that typical for beef ribs?
Yes, in general. And cooking times can vary widely on beef ribs. Start looking at them way before 6 hours. Like 4.
I ended up doing a little over 6. 4 open, 2 wapped and a little time open with sauce. They came out great. I went back to buy some more before they disappear. So hard to find these around here in a normal super market.

Highly suggest tonight's cook.

Shrimp, diced and combined with cream cheese and Dizzy Pig Raging River.

Stuff the above into halved jalepenos (cored and scraped).

Wrap in a half a slice of bacon.

Dust with Raging River.

Put on Egg indirect for 30 min at 350-375.

Enjoy the hell out of it.

Not a green egg guy, but, saw a limited edition XXL at the hardware store the other day. Holly hell!
Is that the one they nicknamed EggZilla? (see pic below)

http://tableplanpdf.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/xl-big-green-egg-table-plans-3.jpg
I think the EggZilla was the prototype for the XXL. There must be a number of these Limited Edition XXLs available since I just stumbled upon one at my local hardware store. Had a $2,500 price tag!!

yeah, terribly named cut of meat. It tastes nothing like rib meat.
Made these today. Great cut of meat. Did them like I'd do ribs but they only took 2 hours. Took them off at 160. Definitely will make the regular rotation of meals.

Not a green egg guy, but, saw a limited edition XXL at the hardware store the other day. Holly hell!
Is that the one they nicknamed EggZilla? (see pic below)http://tableplanpdf.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/xl-big-green-egg-table-plans-3.jpg
I think the EggZilla was the prototype for the XXL. There must be a number of these Limited Edition XXLs available since I just stumbled upon one at my local hardware store. Had a $2,500 price tag!!
I would need a step ladder to open the beast :)

I've asked my local dealer about the XXL and he didn't think he was going to get one. I'm waiting for the minimax, but I won't hold my breath.

http://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=Indirect+cookinghttp://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=Adjustable+rig

Many people use an adjustable rig, which is way more flexible/versatile. I still use my plate setter, but once it breaks I'll follow the herd.
Ever since buying the R&B combo early last year, I have not used my plate setter since. Everyone who recommended it was spot on. The versatility is through the roof and the shape of the stone is great for ribs.http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html
The thing I like about the plate setter is that I can easily switch from direct to indirect and back - is it the same with this rig? Which combo do you recommend? I would say about 75% of my grilling is beef, chicken, pork, where I typically start with browning/searing on high direct heat, then put the plate setter in and shut vents to cook/finish with indirect. I do low/slow stuff like ribs, shoulder and brisket about 6-8 times a year.

Thanks for the advice. This thing is pretty expensive obviously.

p.s. - it was my FIL who broke the plate setter. He was helping me with some work in the back yard and he hardly noticed as it shattered into several pieces. I said nothing at the time, quietly put the pieces in the garbage later. If he had any inkling of what its going to cost me to replace, I would never hear the end of it.
I got the R&B combo, that should work great for you.

You can switch from direct to indirect very easily.
I finally got my R&B combo set up yesterday. Can I jump right in with ribs tomorrow or is there a learning curve with this? Or some sort of break-in needed? I've not read anything or looked at any videos, just taking this on faith based on the strong recommendation here.
How did you end up liking this accessory?

http://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=Indirect+cookinghttp://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=Adjustable+rig

Many people use an adjustable rig, which is way more flexible/versatile. I still use my plate setter, but once it breaks I'll follow the herd.
Ever since buying the R&B combo early last year, I have not used my plate setter since. Everyone who recommended it was spot on. The versatility is through the roof and the shape of the stone is great for ribs.http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html
The thing I like about the plate setter is that I can easily switch from direct to indirect and back - is it the same with this rig? Which combo do you recommend? I would say about 75% of my grilling is beef, chicken, pork, where I typically start with browning/searing on high direct heat, then put the plate setter in and shut vents to cook/finish with indirect. I do low/slow stuff like ribs, shoulder and brisket about 6-8 times a year.

p.s. - it was my FIL who broke the plate setter. He was helping me with some work in the back yard and he hardly noticed as it shattered into several pieces. I said nothing at the time, quietly put the pieces in the garbage later. If he had any inkling of what its going to cost me to replace, I would never hear the end of it.

I finally got my R&B combo set up yesterday. Can I jump right in with ribs tomorrow or is there a learning curve with this? Or some sort of break-in needed? I've not read anything or looked at any videos, just taking this on faith based on the strong recommendation here.
I like it, but am still learning how to use it. I've done ribs a couple times and simple stuff like burgers, chicken, sausages many times. It seems learn by trial/error - can your recommend a useful video or instruction resource so I can see how others use it?

I like it, but am still learning how to use it. I've done ribs a couple times and simple stuff like burgers, chicken, sausages many times. It seems learn by trial/error - can your recommend a useful video or instruction resource so I can see how others use it?
hmm, I think I just read/watched what was available on the site itself, of which had a good amount of info

Start at this link and then walk through the tabs (Grilling, BBQing, Sliding Grids, Pizza etc). It is a lot of info but you might find some of it useful

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html

Here's my summer lessons learned 2014

-I now dry brine everything that goes on the egg for at least 8 hours. 1/2tsp kosher for a pound of whatever. Everything.

-Any seasoning rub only is going to be on there the amount of time it takes for the egg to come to temp. And no salt in seasoning rub anymore.

-I am injecting all large roasts and birds now. Sue me. Mostly broth and vinegar, but sometimes whiskey.

-babybacks are now exclusively a 3out 1in ratio. I watch for the ribs to expose themselves a bit then wrap. If too floppy turn heat down to 200, firm heat up to 300 in parchment and foil. I have people trying to talk me into competitions now. In 24 months went from inedible to epic.

-beef ribs are great, still getting the technique down. I'll get there.

-All burgers are now done in a cast iron skillet in the egg. Best of both worlds

-royal oak lump is not good stuff at least compared to what I can get locally

-The stoker was a great use of 400 bucks.

-beef ribs are great, still getting the technique down. I'll get there..
Please share your technique on these. Are these beef back ribs?
I've done short and back ribs.

I prefer the short. I've been doing a more asianed spice rub on these and doing a 4/1 more or less on them. I might change to something like a 2-2-1 allowing to visually check the ribs more often down the stretch. Shrinkage and tightness of the rib is my go-to on pork, but with beef I've been using the toothpick method and ensuring I don't hit any resistance on 4 consecutive insertions in various spots.

Great post. Try Dizzy Pig rubs, you can get them without any salt.

I just found, today, Frontier Lump at BJ's Wholesale for $19.99 for a 34lb bag. While I have always used Wicked Good Charcoal, the Naked WIz (authority on lump reviews: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag95.htm), said despite some inconsistent sizing, this stuff is good. I am pumped to have found this. I will go back and buy 6-8 bags so I have it into the fall, if I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post. Try Dizzy Pig rubs, you can get them without any salt.

I just found, today, Frontier Lump at BJ's Wholesale for $19.99 for a 34lb bag. While I have always used Wicked Good Charcoal, the Naked WIz (authority on lump reviews: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag95.htm), said despite some inconsistent sizing, this stuff is good. I am pumped to have found this. I will go back and buy 6-8 bags so I have it into the fall, if I agree.
I pimped this brand last year in the thread. It is the best I have found for the price. There is a decent amount of powder at the end but with a 34 pound bag I guess that is to be expected.

So apparently the Maverick thermometer probe doesn't just go when it's bad, it shows a false reading. I'm doing some ribs and I was trying to get the egg up to 250 after putting in the plate setter. The readout went up to around 160 and it wasn't going up much more. I looked at the egg thermometer and it was showing just over 250. I wound up putting the meat probe in and it went up to 260.

I guess it's shot? Or is there a way to recalibrate?

So apparently the Maverick thermometer probe doesn't just go when it's bad, it shows a false reading. I'm doing some ribs and I was trying to get the egg up to 250 after putting in the plate setter. The readout went up to around 160 and it wasn't going up much more. I looked at the egg thermometer and it was showing just over 250. I wound up putting the meat probe in and it went up to 260.

I guess it's shot? Or is there a way to recalibrate?
I would try boiling aom water and seeing if it reads close. It could be you were on a bone or something? Just don't get anything but part of the probe wet as it will short it out otherwise.

My probe reads LLL, so I know it's shot. Pretty sure a replacement on amazon is $15 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread