What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (4 Viewers)

This is how it stands at CBS brackets...

Maryland - #2

PSU - #3

Iowa, Mich, OSU - #6

MSU - #7

Ill - #8

Rutgers, Wisc - #9

Ind - #10

_______

Purdue - 1st four out

The top 7 are safely in.  Rutgers, Wisc, Ind, and Purdue still need some wins.  At least 8 will make it, and it is possible all 11 will.  

Maryland - #2

PSU - #3

Iowa, Mich, OSU - #6

MSU - #7

Ill - #8

Rutgers, Wisc - #9

Ind - #10

_______

Purdue - 1st four out

The top 7 are safely in.  Rutgers, Wisc, Ind, and Purdue still need some wins.  At least 8 will make it, and it is possible all 11 will.  
The Big-Ten is a mess this year, but its a fun mess.  Wisconsin is tied for third in the league, 5-3 against the teams above them on this list including 2-0 against the top two, swept Ohio State home and away.  But I can't really argue with putting them 8th or 9th best in the league.

Maryland - #2

PSU - #3

Iowa, Mich, OSU - #6

MSU - #7

Ill - #8

Rutgers, Wisc - #9

Ind - #10

_______

Purdue - 1st four out

Hoping State stays at a #6 or #7 seed. Maybe it’ll work in their favor

The Big-Ten is a mess this year, but its a fun mess.  Wisconsin is tied for third in the league, 5-3 against the teams above them on this list including 2-0 against the top two, swept Ohio State home and away.  But I can't really argue with putting them 8th or 9th best in the league.
I don't know that Bucky needs "more wins" per se, they just can't have any more bad losses if that makes sense. They're 10-5 since Potter came on so they're trending up. They also have something like 7 or 8 Quad 1 wins so that can only help. 3-2 or better down the stretch and a few wins in the tournament should be good enough to get them in. (RU, @ MU, MN, NW, @  IU )

PS The tournament is going to be a bloodbath

I don't know that Bucky needs "more wins" per se, they just can't have any more bad losses if that makes sense. They're 10-5 since Potter came on so they're trending up. They also have something like 7 or 8 Quad 1 wins so that can only help. 3-2 or better down the stretch and a few wins in the tournament should be good enough to get them in. (RU, @ MU, MN, NW, @  IU )

PS The tournament is going to be a bloodbath
Figures the Wisky homer posts exactly what I'm writing but was about 10 seconds too slow to pull the trigger. I don't even think you need 3 more regular season wins necessarily though. Beat Northwestern and Minnesota and you're in.

@RUSF18 hinted at it, but I think Rutgers is on more unstable ground than most. Literally their only win away from the RAC was against Nebraska and they will probably be an underdog in each of their final 4 games (3 on the road). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Figures the Wisky homer posts exactly what I'm writing but was about 10 seconds too slow to pull the trigger. I don't even think you need 3 more regular season wins necessarily though. Beat Northwestern and Minnesota and you're in.
Yeah, just can't lose to MN or NW which is what I was getting at. I figure 3 more wins and another in the tourney puts them at 20 which is a nice number for the committee. 8-10 seed seems appropriate

Yeah, just can't lose to MN or NW which is what I was getting at. I figure 3 more wins and another in the tourney puts them at 20 which is a nice number for the committee. 8-10 seed seems appropriate
This wasn't your point but those that end up 7-10 may be in a no-lose situation. A win will only help, but a loss isn't going to hurt you. If any of them 5-10 are still on shaky ground come tourney time that may actually be a better spot than 5 or 6. The 5 and 6 run the risk of a bad loss that those 7-10 literally can't get.

The league seems like it will have 6 teams in the Sweet 16 and none in the Final Four. 

Maybe I'm underestimating Maryland.

The league seems like it will have 6 teams in the Sweet 16 and none in the Final Four. 

I don't know that Maryland would string 4 wins in a row against increasingly good competition. They're pretty talented, but go through sleepwalks. 

There is so much balance out there with no team that dominant.  I don't think the teams at the top of the polls have been battle tested enough to make a run through the tourney.  I would not rule out a team or two from the Big10 making it to the final four.  I could see any of the top six teams sneaking into the final 4 with the right bracket breaks.

@RUSF18 hinted at it, but I think Rutgers is on more unstable ground than most. Literally their only win away from the RAC was against Nebraska and they will probably be an underdog in each of their final 4 games (3 on the road). 
They have no one to blame but themselves if they can’t get a couple more, or impress in the tourney, but let me tell you something: if they end up not making it, I’ll be absolutely crushed regardless. 

They have no one to blame but themselves if they can’t get a couple more, or impress in the tourney, but let me tell you something: if they end up not making it, I’ll be absolutely crushed regardless. 
The only game not at the RAC I've watched was the Michigan game at MSG. Does the team play tighter on the road? Less energy? Passive? 

The only game not at the RAC I've watched was the Michigan game at MSG. Does the team play tighter on the road? Less energy? Passive? 
They definitely feed off the energy of the home crowd but their own energy/intensity on the road isn’t an issue. I just think that a lot of those close road games were the type where if they played the same games 10 times, maybe they win 4 or 5 of them against each opponent so the coin is basically coming up tails on them each time. The Illinois and Iowa games were definitely very winnable. 

They’re also a really bad FT shooting team and not cashing in on those on the road can be killers over the course of the game. 

MONSTER win for Michigan at Purdue. 2-0 week on the road. 

I'm not sure anyone in the Big Ten is playing better than MI right now.

Big win for IU at home v PSU. 

B1G is crazy this year. 
I can’t watch this team. They are so inconsistent on offense and I get way too pissed watching. No one can shoot on this team and they suck at free throws so bad. I just look at score and watch a few minutes at a time.

Does look like they’ll at least be in the tournament ridiculous they haven’t been able to get in past few years.

I can’t watch this team. They are so inconsistent on offense and I get way too pissed watching. No one can shoot on this team and they suck at free throws so bad. I just look at score and watch a few minutes at a time.

Does look like they’ll at least be in the tournament ridiculous they haven’t been able to get in past few years.
Largely because nobody can shoot and they suck at free throws...

Race Thompson has looked really good the past couple games though.

Tough to win against a team that drills 20 free throws in a row, especially on the road.  Maryland didn't play badly, I guess, and it was nice to finally see Wiggins shoot well.

If/When Illinois beats Nebraska in Champaign tomorrow, there will be 5 teams tied in 2nd place in the Big Ten, with Michigan a game behind in 3rd, Rutgers/Indiana/Ohio State right behind them.  Huge games in the next week, and then one more before the tournament starts on March 11.

Can't get excited about Bucky.  After years of them making some noise in the tournament they are looking now to just be fodder, just a participant.  That's fine, but I miss the excitement of thinking they might do something.  Still, I'll pull for them.

Khristian Lander - 2021 #1PG, #11 overall - commits to Indiana.  Speculation he may reclassify to 2020, which would give them a really nice class for next year.

It is kind of too bad Maryland won.  It would have been interesting to see the final standings in the Big Ten with about 6 teams tied for first with seven losses.  Six losses and an outright championship is still possible.  

They could be the first sub .500 team to make the NIT.  The rules were changed to allow it, but it has not happened yet.  
Really?  Didn't know that was a rule.  Thanks to the strength of the Big10 this year, they have good power rankings.  Definitely deserve to be in the NIT, unless they lose out or something ridiculous like that.

Really?  Didn't know that was a rule.  Thanks to the strength of the Big10 this year, they have good power rankings.  Definitely deserve to be in the NIT, unless they lose out or something ridiculous like that.
That was the rule until 2017.  The worst record allowed in history of the NIT has been one game above .500, i think 16-15.  The NCAA gives bids to conference tournament champions, so they have had sub .500 teams qualify.     

GD free throws.

They arent losing three in a row against their schedule, so - padlock Wisconsin. Good win.

Huge road win by Bucky over umaa.

14-6 is in play for Wisconsin. Greg Gard Coach of the Year?
He's at least gotta be in the conversation. Brad Underwood probably should be the front runner though IMO.

I sure didn't see this Badgers team coming together like this back in December.
Potter has certainly been a galvanizing addition. It took some time to find his role but imagine if he had been able to play since October. They might not have been run out of the gym in Brooklyn and a few other bad early losses. I still like Kobe King and respect his decision but I wonder if there wasn't something behind the scenes that held the team back. 

Edit 14-4 since Potter came on, 6-2 since King left (manual math that is probably way wrong)

Until the recent swoon, I would have said Pikiell.  Harder to do that now.  Pat Chambers should be in the conversation along with Gard and Underwood.

What? No love for Turgeon?  :P

As things stand today, I think it should be Chambers
Yeah, no love for Turgeon.  Were it not for a miracle in Minnesota, the entire state of Maryland would be in full blown panic mode right now.

Maryland's lack of depth is going to hurt them.  Their press is fantastic, but you can't do that for long with a 6-man rotation.  Obviously, their lack of a cohesive offense beyond weave-and-heave has and will continue to hurt them.

If I'm in prediction mode, I'll say Maryland gets one of the next two for a share of the regular season crown, gets bounced in the semis of the B1G tourney, beats a couple of teams they're supposed to beat in the NCAA, and loses in the Sweet Sixteen.  I'm not sure what the consensus will be on the season should that come to pass, but I'd say it's a disappointment for a team ranked in the preseason top ten.

MSU played great. Maryland couldn't get any offense going, mostly due to MSU's defense. 

Tough last regular season week for the Terps - at Rutgers and home to Michigan.
I was a a sports bar last night and want to check the stats to see how mant free throws Maryland missed.  Seemed like everytime they were at the line it was doink.

Users who are viewing this thread