What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (1 Viewer)

Izzo's reluctance to change with how the game has changed is frustrating as hell. That loss was on him and his coaches, as has this season been, because they lost it by not playing good sound defense, which is teachable...but apparently this team didn't get it taught to them because they didn't have it all season, and it was their ultimate downfall.

Izzo's reluctance to change with how the game has changed is frustrating as hell. That loss was on him and his coaches, as has this season been, because they lost it by not playing good sound defense, which is teachable...but apparently this team didn't get it taught to them because they didn't have it all season, and it was their ultimate downfall.
Hmmm... I thought their downfall is what it's been for years. Turnovers/ball security. I actually think their defense was better than usual this year. I love Izzo, but I get that his schtick is getting old. His sideling antics are laughable sometimes.

Hmmm... I thought their downfall is what it's been for years. Turnovers/ball security. I actually think their defense was better than usual this year. I love Izzo, but I get that his schtick is getting old. His sideling antics are laughable sometimes.
I think they did have a few games where their defense was very good, but not great. Always seemed to me that teams were abie to exploit them inside way too much. Lots of easy bunny shots given up. And they were certainly trending in the wrong direction heading into the B1G /NCAA Tourneys. They seemed to have gotten a better handle on it vs. USC/Marquette, but last night it was back to where they were early-midseason with too many defensive lapses and getting exploited inside. They looked lost. Granted, Novell had a ton to do with that as well.

I think they did have a few games where their defense was very good, but not great. Always seemed to me that teams were abie to exploit them inside way too much. Lots of easy bunny shots given up. And they were certainly trending in the wrong direction heading into the B1G /NCAA Tourneys. They seemed to have gotten a better handle on it vs. USC/Marquette, but last night it was back to where they were early-midseason with too many defensive lapses and getting exploited inside. They looked lost. Granted, Novell had a ton to do with that as well.
Plus... lack of a quality big man. Haven't had one in years...

Plus... lack of a quality big man. Haven't had one in years...
Huge problem

Izzo only knows one way and he won`t change now, he can`t change.

I agree that the KSU game was on him. First of all there is no way MSU should should have played so fast as that is KSUa style of game, and Novells game. They should have tried to keep the pace slower in the low 60 point range. MSU was playing way too loose on D the whole game.

Also the last play was a disaster, the had a TV TO, and their own TO so 3-4 minutes to draw up something. It was chaos and ended that way.

i thought FA would be a cakewalk for KSU or MSU but as we saw KSU lost and I don`t think MSU would have beat them either. Way better than I expected.

Izzo only knows one way and he won`t change now, he can`t change.
Exactly. He's caught up in his own hubris now. He'll keep winning a lot because he's a great basketball coach but, every time he loses, it'll be because of someone else and not himself. Seen it too often - this rail only runs one way.

Rough rough go for the Illini in the transfer portal so far

Jayden Epps (this is a tough one and unexpected)

RJ Melendez (reportedly entered portal today). He looked lost all year. Centering the team around two transfers in Mayer/Shannon probably didn't help. Possibly Illini looking at an upgrade in portal

Skyy Clark (expected after he quit on the program after handful of games)

Brandon Lieb (probably backup big at best but another outgoing player)

:kicksrock:

But I suppose I understand it, from his perspective. Michigan's two most talented young players are talented enough to maybe go first round in the draft, so the team won't be great next year. If he can pick up some significant NIL money and play for a team that might contend, why not? That doesn't mean I like it at all.

Last edited:

RJ Melendez (reportedly entered portal today). He looked lost all year. Centering the team around two transfers in Mayer/Shannon probably didn't help. Possibly Illini looking at an upgrade in portal

Just saw all this today. Epps and Clark probably didn't like getting yelled at. I hope Melendez finds somewhere where he can get out of his own head, last year he showed potential.

We need to center the offence around Dain. Make him shoot 1000 FT a day all summer. Goode playing all year will help, Sincere needs to figure out how to play super fast on D but then scale it back a little on offense, lost track of all the point blank layups he missed being a little too out of control. Ty Rodgers with a year under his belt, let Dain start on the blocks, and then move Rodgers in.

Not sure if I want Hawkins to come back or not. For all the good things he does, not sure I can survive another year of launched 3's from 10' back and bad passes.

Just saw all this today. Epps and Clark probably didn't like getting yelled at. I hope Melendez finds somewhere where he can get out of his own head, last year he showed potential.

We need to center the offence around Dain. Make him shoot 1000 FT a day all summer. Goode playing all year will help, Sincere needs to figure out how to play super fast on D but then scale it back a little on offense, lost track of all the point blank layups he missed being a little too out of control. Ty Rodgers with a year under his belt, let Dain start on the blocks, and then move Rodgers in.

Not sure if I want Hawkins to come back or not. For all the good things he does, not sure I can survive another year of launched 3's from 10' back and bad passes.
Hopefully Hawkins and Shannon not knowing if stay/go doesn't hamstring Illini in portal.

They've landed a couple of solid midmajor commits so far (Harmon out of Utah Valley and Domask from SIU). Look at this years tourney and the real value in the portal so far has been in these midmajor guys. They should be solid role players. I imagine they'll make a big splash or two as combine guys come back and enter portal (if Hawkins/Shannon themselves don't come back)

RJ needs to go to a midmajor. No question. So many of these transfers go from major program to major program thinking the grass is greener....and they flop.

Yet another former Illini transfer Adam Miller (clank extraordinaire) has entered portal yet again to leave LSU. Never in my life have I seen a kid clank so many wide open shots....which obviously continued at LSU 🤣.

HUGE news for the Illini. Terrance Shannon has withdrawn from the NBA Draft & returning for his final year of eligiblity :towelwave:

Now let's get a PG in the portal.

ILL

Might not be Year 1 at Illinois given all their other offensive options but Dra Gibbs Lawhorn gonna be a player.

If I'm Underwood, I don't mess around with his PT. Can't afford to let him get away in portal like the players the past couple seasons .

Surprising performance from Michigan. I realize UNCA is 158 in kenpom. But MI didn't play this well in any game I remember from last year.

Still think they won't be very good. But this team tonight looks like it could be a tournament team.

Liking the additions to the Boilers this year. They are stacked at guard. Colvin could be a stud. Lance Jones gives them some real speed to hopefully help break presses, and seems to be good on D.

Forwards are stacked too. Gillis hardly gets PT, and he's really good. I like Camden Heide's game; 6-5, nice shot and plays above the rim a lot.

Braden Smith has seemed to take his game to the next level. Loyer coming off the bench is such a huge luxury. Edey has looked good, but this team seemed to be built with the idea he was gone this year. One more year with Edey and this team is a big bonus.

The Maui invitational will tell the story. Some tough games upcoming including getting Gonzaga first.

Surprising performance from Michigan. I realize UNCA is 158 in kenpom. But MI didn't play this well in any game I remember from last year.

Still think they won't be very good. But this team tonight looks like it could be a tournament team.

Another dominating win against St. Johns last night as well. I'm now starting to get cautiously optimistic about this season. (y)

Liking the additions to the Boilers this year. They are stacked at guard. Colvin could be a stud. Lance Jones gives them some real speed to hopefully help break presses, and seems to be good on D.

Forwards are stacked too. Gillis hardly gets PT, and he's really good. I like Camden Heide's game; 6-5, nice shot and plays above the rim a lot.

Braden Smith has seemed to take his game to the next level. Loyer coming off the bench is such a huge luxury. Edey has looked good, but this team seemed to be built with the idea he was gone this year. One more year with Edey and this team is a big bonus.

The Maui invitational will tell the story. Some tough games upcoming including getting Gonzaga first.
This team is going to be good. The hangover from last year is hard to get over…

The biggest challenge is getting everyone the proper playing time and right combos on the floor.

Loyer seems like he could be an odd man out. Maybe 6th man coming off bench for offense. He just doesn’t do well against physical teams.

Might not be Year 1 at Illinois given all their other offensive options but Dra Gibbs Lawhorn gonna be a player.

If I'm Underwood, I don't mess around with his PT. Can't afford to let him get away in portal like the players the past couple seasons .
Agree. The best thing to happen was Sencire Harris to redshirt, which is giving DGL extra minutes. Even though the Illini could always use Harris' defense.

I wouldn't worry about it that much about the portal. Guys are going to leave every season. Epps was decent offensively but he was abused on the defensive end by BIG10 opponents. Clark didn't look good at all last year. Melendez it was just mental for him.

This Illini team could be really good or it could be a repeat of last year. They better shoot their free throws better or they won't go far in the NCAA tournament (assuming they get there).

Damn, the Zags put up 123 last night. Buckle up Boilers.
That was an interesting game. Took a second half for the Boilers to look good offensively, but they still had issues taking care of the ball. Lot's of moments to like about this game though with Colvin hitting back to back 3s that put the game away and Jones giving them an element of athleticism they haven't had. If they just take care of the basketball and hit 1/3 of their 3s...they are going to be in control of most games.

Agree. The best thing to happen was Sencire Harris to redshirt, which is giving DGL extra minutes. Even though the Illini could always use Harris' defense.

I wouldn't worry about it that much about the portal. Guys are going to leave every season. Epps was decent offensively but he was abused on the defensive end by BIG10 opponents. Clark didn't look good at all last year. Melendez it was just mental for him.

This Illini team could be really good or it could be a repeat of last year. They better shoot their free throws better or they won't go far in the NCAA tournament (assuming they get there).
I'm hopeful Domask and Goode are given a lot of run. I don't see them going far if they've got to rely on Hawkins/Rodgers types as the games matter more later in season.

DGL and Hansberry show a lot of promise. Hawkins has been downright bad. They won't do it but Hansberry has looked significantly better when he's got the time.

I've never been a big Hawkins fan personally. Best thing he's got going for him is he can move his feet very well defensively for a guy his size.

Team really needs a PG. Hopeful DGL can be the guy. I think this team would be much much better if they had someone to facilitate for Shannon/Goode/Domask. Ty Rodgers has a place....just don't think hes a PG nor can he be relied on at the foul line.

Underwood just can't continue losing freshman PG after PG IMO. It's causing negative impact on recruiting (IMO it's absolutely what caused them to lose RayJ Dennis in transfer portal to Baylor). To me, DGL and Hansberry are 2 guys that should get more PT than more tenured guys on the roster.

Coen Carr is a freak of nature. This was unreal to see in person Monday night. Kid is going to be fun to watch for a long time.

Kid can play, they said if his 3 point shot improves this season he will be a one and done and looking at a top 10 in the first round and a nice payday.

Coen Carr is a freak of nature. This was unreal to see in person Monday night. Kid is going to be fun to watch for a long time.

Kid can play, they said if his 3 point shot improves this season he will be a one and done and looking at a top 10 in the first round and a nice payday.
He’s very raw. Not sure of the one and done as his overall game is still very unrefined. Not saying it couldn’t happen.

He’s Jason Richardson 2.0. JRich played 2 seasons and the strides he made between his freshman and sophomore years was phenomenal. If he takes the same professional path as JRich he will have a long and prosperous NBA career.

Last edited:
Damn, the Zags put up 123 last night. Buckle up Boilers.
That was an interesting game. Took a second half for the Boilers to look good offensively, but they still had issues taking care of the ball. Lot's of moments to like about this game though with Colvin hitting back to back 3s that put the game away and Jones giving them an element of athleticism they haven't had. If they just take care of the basketball and hit 1/3 of their 3s...they are going to be in control of most games.
Fun game. Could of gone either way, the Zags are tough. Colvin, Jones and Heide make this team way more athletic than last years squad. Jones has gotten better in each of their last 3 games.

Users who are viewing this thread