What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Ten Basketball 2022/2023 - Return to Power (1 Viewer)

Saw a stat: 32 teams in the history of the tourney have been #1 or #2 seeds after beginning the season unranked.

This year there are 2: Purdue and Marquette.

Non of those teams have ever made the Final 4. Oof.

My shot at prognostication. All the teams are out by the end of the first weekend except Purdue who is the first #1 to lose in the S16. I am intrigued by PSU though.
I just looked the CBS bracket I submitted and had the same. I was sober when I filled it out, is my only excuse.

Anyway, I don't worry about conferences when I'm filling those things out.
And i thought i was being a negative Nelly

5-3 across the first round. Obviously much of that is going to be overshadowed by Purdue, but a lot of chances for the remaining 5 to make some noise still.

For Maryland to have a chance tonight, they are gonna have to shoot like they did against NW a couple of weeks ago and hope Bama is cold. The spread is 9, which seems low to me as I could see this getting out of hand early.

As well as MSU played yesterday, except for the free throw problem, I don't think they get past Marquette. I've had Marquette in my F4 in that region from the start. They are solid from top to bottom.

If they do somehow luck out and beat them, then I do believe they would have a good shot at another F4. No one else left in that region concerns me .

Fingerscrossed

GOGREEN
#SPARTAN STRONG

As well as MSU played yesterday, except for the free throw problem, I don't think they get past Marquette. I've had Marquette in my F4 in that region from the start. They are solid from top to bottom.

If they do somehow luck out and beat them, then I do believe they would have a good shot at another F4. No one else left in that region concerns me .

Fingerscrossed

GOGREEN
#SPARTAN STRONG

Could be the first time in my life I'm hoping for a Michigan-based team to win a basketball game, but here I am - Go Green! Marquette is eminently beatable - they lost to Wisconsin!

Fingerscrossed

GOGREEN
#SPARTAN STRONG
Pulling for them - someone has to make the state look good.

Go Sparty!

Who's gonna be the one team to carry the banner of the conference after all the rest crap the bed in rounds one and two? We know that's how this is going to end :lmao:
I still think Purdue can do it, but I can also see them not getting out of the first weekend given how shaky they've looked recently. Indiana could do it, too, if TJD does his best Danny Manning impression.

Maryland plays good defense, but is not a good shooting team and I can't see them winning more than a game or two. Same with Rutgers (if they make it). Iowa's the exact opposite of those two. And Illinois is completely schizo.

God help me, it's probably going to be Izzo isn't it?
Not if he brings the version of the team that played OSU today
Update? :coffee:

Now that Marquette is out I think UCONN is the team to win it all. Was seriously pulling for Indiana but they couldn't pull it together.

Who's gonna be the one team to carry the banner of the conference after all the rest crap the bed in rounds one and two? We know that's how this is going to end :lmao:
I still think Purdue can do it, but I can also see them not getting out of the first weekend given how shaky they've looked recently. Indiana could do it, too, if TJD does his best Danny Manning impression.

Maryland plays good defense, but is not a good shooting team and I can't see them winning more than a game or two. Same with Rutgers (if they make it). Iowa's the exact opposite of those two. And Illinois is completely schizo.

God help me, it's probably going to be Izzo isn't it?
Not if he brings the version of the team that played OSU today
Update? :coffee:
He managed to not bring that version of MSU that showed up to play OSU? I love all the bravado AFTER the fact in these threads....like clockwork :lmao:

I forgot to mention Marquette, who I think may have the best shot of all to win it.

I'm predicting UCONN to beat Marquette later today, but I'm biased (against Marquette).
That wouldn't surprise me, but I was talking about the NCAAT.

MU won the Big East but I still get the last laugh this season. Hilarious that Wisconsin is still playing while Marquette have packed their bags. Big East did well to get 3 teams into the second week though no doubt.

Now that Marquette is out I think UCONN is the team to win it all. Was seriously pulling for Indiana but they couldn't pull it together.
You thought Marquette was going to win it all?

UConn looks good, but still have Houston, Texas and Bama
Yea.

My F4 was Alabama, Marquette, Houston and UCONN. Had Marquette and UCONN in the Final.
Didn't think Marquette would make it. That being said, I picked them to beat MSU and I have a Spartan daughter. lol. Shouldn't doubt Izzo.

Yea.

My F4 was Alabama, Marquette, Houston and UCONN. Had Marquette and UCONN in the Final.
Didn't think Marquette would make it. That being said, I picked them to beat MSU and I have a Spartan daughter. lol. Shouldn't doubt Izzo.
I did. I thought they were one of the best-balanced teams in the country. Picked a bad time to have their worst game of the year.

My bracket looks like a vampire vomited on it. I've done really well in the MW region - just missed one result so far (Iowa, who I had going out in the next round anyway). The other three are horror shows.

And UCLA
You mean Gonzaga
Only if Timme plays out of his mind. Which he usually does...
Should be a great game

Rush the Court
@rushthecourt

The Big Ten has placed 26 teams in the last 3 NCAA Tournaments and only 4 have advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. Things go through cycles, but this conference is an NCAA Tourney disaster right now.

Also, two of the last out - Rutgers and Michigan - both lost in first round of the NIT. Is there a better explanation than "The Big Ten is overrated and sucks!"?
Last NCAA Champion from the conference was the Mich State Izzos in 2000.

Does the Big Ten need to think about its refereeing and how that affects the play style? I've no idea but am thinking maybe there is something to think about.

Rush the Court
@rushthecourt

The Big Ten has placed 26 teams in the last 3 NCAA Tournaments and only 4 have advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. Things go through cycles, but this conference is an NCAA Tourney disaster right now.

Also, two of the last out - Rutgers and Michigan - both lost in first round of the NIT. Is there a better explanation than "The Big Ten is overrated and sucks!"?

Does the Big Ten need to think about its refereeing and how that affects the play style? I've no idea but am thinking maybe there is something to think about.
No. The "______ Conference Sucks" thing is (in my opinion) dumb (it is in football, too). There are individual teams in the B1G are wildly different in styles - it's not groupthink/coach/play. It's just a random stat in a single-elimination tournament.

Rush the Court
@rushthecourt

Nope - Michigan won in the first round of the NIT, and then choked away a big lead in the last minute of their second game. All with their top draft prospect "injured".

Rush the Court
@rushthecourt

They generally have had a lot of teams get 7-12 seeds. You don't get to many sweet 16's from those spots. Purdue has choked, but generally the rest of the conference has been fine. This year, outside of Purdue, the conference has performed very well.

Rush the Court
@rushthecourt

Nope - Michigan won in the first round of the NIT, and then choked away a big lead in the last minute of their second game. All with their top draft prospect "injured".
The latter is part of the reason I can’t get excited about college hoops any more. Michigan has some interesting young talent that could really flourish in the next couple of years. But their two best young players (Bufkin and Jett Howard) have been projected as possible mid-first round NBA draft picks. So - bye guys. Thanks for ..nothing?

Last edited:
Rush the Court
@rushthecourt

The latter is part of the reason I can’t get excited about college hoops any more. Michigan has some interesting young talented that could really flourish in the next couple of years. But their two best young players (Bufkin and Jett Howard) have been projected as possible mid-first round NBA draft picks. So - bye guys. Thanks for ..nothing?
I hear you on this. College BB has always been my favorite sport to watch, but the dearth of 4-year players has definitely sapped much of my enthusiasm for the game. I'm naively hopeful that NIL money might start ensuring there are fewer guys who leave early over the coming years.

Izzo defiant - Big Ten is the best conference in the country and he’s a big Badger fan this weekend.

I love Izzo and everything he has done for my team, but his press conferences are starting to annoy me.

The big ten is down this year and it is okay to admit it. They aren't the best in the country, not at the top, not in the middle and not at the bottom.

I didn't like him taking away from the Kansas State win yesterday. That was an awesome game it sucks we were on the wrong side of it, but to talk about lucky shots and banked 3 pointers is just sour grapes.

I also didn't like the cheap shot he took at NIL money after they beat Marquette. Saying Tyson Walker could buy him a slice of pizza with all his NIL money. Like he hasn't made millions off these kids for a quarter of a century.

Izzo defiant - Big Ten is the best conference in the country and he’s a big Badger fan this weekend.

I love Izzo and everything he has done for my team, but his press conferences are starting to annoy me.

The big ten is down this year and it is okay to admit it. They aren't the best in the country, not at the top, not in the middle and not at the bottom.

I didn't like him taking away from the Kansas State win yesterday. That was an awesome game it sucks we were on the wrong side of it, but to talk about lucky shots and banked 3 pointers is just sour grapes.

I also didn't like the cheap shot he took at NIL money after they beat Marquette. Saying Tyson Walker could buy him a slice of pizza with all his NIL money. Like he hasn't made millions off these kids for a quarter of a century.
I'm sick of Izzo. He's a great basketball coach, but he's getting to Boeheim levels of annoying. That post-game press conference was embarrassing for a guy of his stature.

Users who are viewing this thread