What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bill Cowher to retire? (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
Mark Madden opened his show today by saying there are reports that Bill Cowher may retire. According to the story, Cowher was planning on remaining with the Steelers for 3 years until his youngest daughter graduated high school.

Now that he has won the Super Bowl, Bill Cowher is supposedly considering retiring and moving to North Carolina and enrolling their daughter in a private school there. After she graduates then Cowher would return to the NFL for big money and not necessarily with the Steelers.

My take: This is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. I'm just reporting what I heard on the radio.

Mark Madden opened his show today by saying there are reports that Bill Cowher may retire. According to the story, Cowher was planning on remaining with the Steelers for 3 years until his youngest daughter graduated high school.

Now that he has won the Super Bowl, Bill Cowher is supposedly considering retiring and moving to North Carolina and enrolling their daughter in a private school there. After she graduates then Cowher would return to the NFL for big money and not necessarily with the Steelers.

My take: This is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. I'm just reporting what I heard on the radio.
I can't picture the guy doing anything other than coaching. He has to much passion for it. If he does retire, he won't be retired for long I"m sure.

He has already gone on record saying he wouldn't coach for anybody but the Steelers

John Fedko was saying the same thing (that cowher may retire) after the parade today. I hope he isnt done yet . . . time to defend the Title baby!

Who would be the next head coach? Lebeau? Whiz? Mean Joe Green? The Bus? Darren Perry? Carnell Lake?

Last edited by a moderator:
John Fedko was saying the same thing (that cowher may retire) after the parade today. I hope he isnt done yet . . . time to defend the Title baby!

Who would be the next head coach? Lebeau? Whiz? Mean Joe Green? The Bus? Darren Perry? Carnell Lake?
Russ Grimm

He has already gone on record saying he wouldn't coach for anybody but the Steelers
Cowher's word should be good.But, I once thought the same when Bill Parcells said the Patriots would be the last team he would ever coach.

I think this is typical Madden nonsense, but I guess there's always a chance.

To me, an indicator that this is a possibililty would be Whisenhunt NOT going to interview for the Raider head coaching job. He would be a logical leading contender to replace Cowher. But again, this is almost certainly poppycock.

John Fedko was saying the same thing (that cowher may retire) after the parade today.  I hope he isnt done yet . . . time to defend the Title baby!

Who would be the next head coach?  Lebeau?  Whiz?  Mean Joe Green?  The Bus?  Darren Perry?  Carnell Lake?
Russ Grimm
Him too. Although I would think Rooney would want another young guy who will be the face of the team for 10-15 years.

glad you added the last line to your post.sounds like nothing but a bunch of rumor fodder with no substance.

John Fedko was saying the same thing (that cowher may retire) after the parade today.  I hope he isnt done yet . . . time to defend the Title baby!

Who would be the next head coach?  Lebeau?  Whiz?  Mean Joe Green?  The Bus?  Darren Perry?  Carnell Lake?
Russ Grimm
He is assistant head coach but I have a feeling that Whiz or Le Beau would be more likely to get the team. But this is a BS story -- Cowher isn't going to retire.

Russ Grimm
He is assistant head coach but I have a feeling that Whiz or Le Beau would be more likely to get the team. But this is a BS story -- Cowher isn't going to retire.
I agree that it's BS, but I don't think coach LeBeau is interested in a head job any longer. He is one of the best defensive coordinators in the game, and he already had his shot at head coach. I have a feeling the same will be said in a few years about Dom Capers.

Well, I can't fault him for going out on top. I think he will try to/win another SuperBowl before he finds something else to do.

Now that he has won the Super Bowl, Bill Cowher is supposedly considering retiring and moving to North Carolina and enrolling their daughter in a private school there.
hmm...where have I heard that before?

Here's what I posted yesterday. I also heard that winning a SB would accelerate retirement. Take it for what it's worth.

Ken Whisenhunt as the next Oakland HC is getting lots of buzz.

I just threw out the salary numbers as guesstimates for sake of discussion.

Made me think of Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennel. With all the Cowher Hall of Fame talk, made me also think about who might succeed Cowher.

I'm an Al Davis fan and love the guy but I don't think I'd want to work him.

I wonder what the perception among folks is out there - would Whisenhunt be better off trying to rebuild the Raiders working with the cards he's dealt out there plus deal with Davis or would he be better off biding his time with the current SB Champs and maybe take over for Cowher some day or maybe land a better job down the road?

J
IMO, this won't happen for a long time.
Not from what I heard.
:fishing:
Nope. Cowher built a retirement house down in NC. Cowhers wife told the neighbors he would retire within a few years. Of course a "few" years could be 2 or could be 10. And a change of heart is also possible.

I think if the team wasn't in such good shape it might be a consideration. But with the extremely young talent on this team I can't see Cowher walking away. He's battled too hard through the O'Donnell/Kordell playoff heartbreaks to not enjoy an extended run with Roethlisberger.

He's battled too hard through the O'Donnell/Kordell playoff heartbreaks to not enjoy an extended run with Roethlisberger.
Lets not assume this. Remember what Marino told Ben before the superbowl. Enjoy it--because it may not ever happen again. I hope they have an extended run but with the way the NFL is structured, it's much more unlikely than it is likely.

He's battled too hard through the O'Donnell/Kordell playoff heartbreaks to not enjoy an extended run with Roethlisberger.
Lets not assume this. Remember what Marino told Ben before the superbowl. Enjoy it--because it may not ever happen again. I hope they have an extended run but with the way the NFL is structured, it's much more unlikely than it is likely.
I guess my point is Cowher has worked too hard to leave perhaps his most talented team on the table for someone else to coach.

OR:Madden is a Cowher supporter/lover and is assisting the HC in obtaining a BIG FAT Superbowl winning raise??

Just a thought......

Mark Madden opened his show today by saying there are reports that Bill Cowher may retire.  According to the story, Cowher was planning on remaining with the Steelers for 3 years until his youngest daughter graduated high school. 

Now that he has won the Super Bowl, Bill Cowher is supposedly considering retiring and moving to North Carolina and enrolling their daughter in a private school there.  After she graduates then Cowher would return to the NFL for big money and not necessarily with the Steelers.

My take:  This is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard.  I'm just reporting what I heard on the radio.
OR:Madden is a Cowher supporter/lover and is assisting the HC in obtaining a BIG FAT Superbowl winning raise??

Just a thought......
If Madden is a Cowher supporter/lover he has done an extremely good job of hiding it. The only thing Madden loves are Mario Lemieux/Penguins and fat-ladened foods.

I thought Mark Madden had a heart attack a few days ago? Back on the air already? He may be a tool, but he's sure dedicated to his job I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread