What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bill Maher Back At It (1 Viewer)

Though one of the biggest common traits is domestic abuse, besides a Jon Stewart show, I've never seen that brought up much in these types of discussions.   Instead it's violent media, school infrastructure, etc.    I don't get it.  

Violence in the house is way more of an issue than violent entertainment.  

One thing that crossed my mind that is different than when i was growing up... . Music.  Music has a much greater generational impact on young people. Listen to the music, Guns/killing etc  in songs can't influence and desensitize a young person's brain. Add in depression and the recipe is there.
And I think we all know which genre and the culture surrounding it highlights gun violence and whatnot the most, right? 

Seems like every month, I am seeing on Twitter about another rapper getting shot and killed.  Most of them are relative unknowns, so they don't often get a lot of coverage, but it is happening a lot. 

I've been hooked on the latest Sniper Elite game for the last couple of weeks. The level of violence and gore depicted is obscene. I'm having a great time with it, but I'm a well adjusted person. I can see a deviant personality getting off on this stuff in an unhealthy way. 

But I can't imagine supporting many measures that seek to limit that kind of thing. Age restrictions and rating systems are fine but don't really work. Beyond that, I don't want the government telling me what's good for me.

I've been hooked on the latest Sniper Elite game for the last couple of weeks. The level of violence and gore depicted is obscene. I'm having a great time with it, but I'm a well adjusted person. I can see a deviant personality getting off on this stuff in an unhealthy way. 

But I can't imagine supporting many measures that seek to limit that kind of thing. Age restrictions and rating systems are fine but don't really work. Beyond that, I don't want the government telling me what's good for me.
I agree, this is where parents should play a role but many are failures 

Though one of the biggest common traits is domestic abuse, besides a Jon Stewart show, I've never seen that brought up much in these types of discussions.   Instead it's violent media, school infrastructure, etc.    I don't get it.  

Violence in the house is way more of an issue than violent entertainment.  
I wonder if this accounts for why different people have different outcomes with this stuff.  Like a lot of people in this thread, I've grown up with violent movies, violent video games, violent rap music, and so on.  I don't think it's had a major effect on me.  The reason why I say that is because I get upset when I see clips of people actually being killed, like the ones we all saw from the Rittenhouse shootings, just to pick one example.  So it's not like I've been desensitized to violence to any extreme degree.

On the other hand, I also grew up in an environment where there was no real-life violence.  Every once in a while, a couple of guys would meet up after school for a fist-fight or something.  Otherwise, it was a whole lot of nothing.  No violence of any kind in the home, no violence of any kind in my neighborhood, no violence of any kind anywhere near where I worked as a kid, and only trivial schoolyard-type pushing and shoving at school.  The violence that I consumed in the media has always been kind of a cartoon that exists in some alternate reality, not my reality.  Maybe it's different for people with different youth experiences.

I wonder if this accounts for why different people have different outcomes with this stuff.  Like a lot of people in this thread, I've grown up with violent movies, violent video games, violent rap music, and so on.  I don't think it's had a major effect on me.  The reason why I say that is because I get upset when I see clips of people actually being killed, like the ones we all saw from the Rittenhouse shootings, just to pick one example.  So it's not like I've been desensitized to violence to any extreme degree.

On the other hand, I also grew up in an environment where there was no real-life violence.  Every once in a while, a couple of guys would meet up after school for a fist-fight or something.  Otherwise, it was a whole lot of nothing.  No violence of any kind in the home, no violence of any kind in my neighborhood, no violence of any kind anywhere near where I worked as a kid, and only trivial schoolyard-type pushing and shoving at school.  The violence that I consumed in the media has always been kind of a cartoon that exists in some alternate reality, not my reality.  Maybe it's different for people with different youth experiences.
Same here.  

I think through the trauma of abuse and violence at home, then those violent things start to mimic real life a bit more, and maybe blurr that line.   I bet there would be a higher chance to fixate on those, have a lack of coping, have a desire to lash out and take revenge.... you get the point.    But there is a difference in saying that the entertainment is inherently dangerous vs. acknowleging these kids have a high likelihood of being introduced to abuse, and probably don't have the tools and knowledge to cope.  

Somewhat of a tangent but I was bored yesterday and started browsing Reddit.  Somehow ended up on a Reddit that was people fighting.  It’s crazy to me people that will sit and watch a fight, even encourage it and film it.  Granted maybe we see a small percentage of fights and there’s decent people not filming the others and actually breaking the fight up.  Anyway, I had the same thought as you - in a lot of cases I’m guessing those people are used to it based on their experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread