What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BJ Upton and Nick Markakis (1 Viewer)

Billy Bats

Footballguy
AL only, points league. I have a decision between keeping BJ or Nick. Heading into spring training I thought it was simple to keep Markakis. But the more I look at both I'm having a tough time figuring between the two. (with Cruz and Bautista in the OF)

Both have their issues. Markakis has been the more consistant hitter, but his power has waned and his RBI's are inconsistant. Will he get back to 20hrs and 100rbi?

BJ had his average plummet, but his HR's are slowly increasing. It's a H2H pts league, so I would be real happy with 25+hr and RBI's and a .270 avg.

Both are at the 26-27 age, and can be a possible "breakout" player, finally.

Who has the better upside between the two?

AL only, points league. I have a decision between keeping BJ or Nick. Heading into spring training I thought it was simple to keep Markakis. But the more I look at both I'm having a tough time figuring between the two. (with Cruz and Bautista in the OF)Both have their issues. Markakis has been the more consistant hitter, but his power has waned and his RBI's are inconsistant. Will he get back to 20hrs and 100rbi?BJ had his average plummet, but his HR's are slowly increasing. It's a H2H pts league, so I would be real happy with 25+hr and RBI's and a .270 avg. Both are at the 26-27 age, and can be a possible "breakout" player, finally. Who has the better upside between the two?
No question Upton has the bigger upside.

'Dr. Awesome said:
My feeling exactly. But there's even more meh available in the draft with the likes of Abreu, Lind, Cuddyer.... Slight chance I can just re-draft whomever I cut, but I usually don't like doing that. From the couple rankings I've seen, I've been suprised to see Upton above him, apparently I'm a little down on Upton.

I'm down on Upton. I'm just *more* down on Markakis. I like Lind's upside over both guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upton's got more upside, but Markakis is safer. Would you rather hit a base hit or swing for the fences? Me? It depends on the rest of my team...

I actually like Markakis this year. He still hit 45 doubles and batted .297, his walk and K rate were all very much in line with career norms, but the HR power diminished. I like that to get back into the 20-25 range.

It's a much-improved lineup, which I think helps twofold. One, it will help provide him more opportunities to hit with men on base and in scoring position (he hit .338 last year with RISP so it's not like he can't drive in runs anymore, there was just never anyone on). And two, it will provide better lineup protection for him. And not just protection, but it'll take some pressure off mentally. Last year, he was "the guy" for a lot of the early part of the year and at times appeared to be trying to do too much. This year, he'll have help from Derrek Lee, Mark Reynolds, Vlad Guerrero, assumed improvement from Wieters, and maybe a full season of Brian Roberts.

I think 95-22-100-8-.300 is pretty attainable.

Upton's got more upside, but Markakis is safer. Would you rather hit a base hit or swing for the fences? Me? It depends on the rest of my team...
Since it is a points league I want the HR, that's what had me leaning me towards Upton lately.
I actually like Markakis this year. He still hit 45 doubles and batted .297, his walk and K rate were all very much in line with career norms, but the HR power diminished. I like that to get back into the 20-25 range.

It's a much-improved lineup, which I think helps twofold. One, it will help provide him more opportunities to hit with men on base and in scoring position (he hit .338 last year with RISP so it's not like he can't drive in runs anymore, there was just never anyone on). And two, it will provide better lineup protection for him. And not just protection, but it'll take some pressure off mentally. Last year, he was "the guy" for a lot of the early part of the year and at times appeared to be trying to do too much. This year, he'll have help from Derrek Lee, Mark Reynolds, Vlad Guerrero, assumed improvement from Wieters, and maybe a full season of Brian Roberts.

I think 95-22-100-8-.300 is pretty attainable.
If he gets back to the 20-25 range with his usual .300, then his RBI's go up and he's easily a better choice then BJ. I agree with him having a better lineup as well, as long as the old men stay healthy. :) Appreciate the feedback in here. I know it's Markakis and Upton, but these are the decisions that make or break a season. Markakis was my gut reaction, I think I'm going to stick with it and try and redraft Upton.

As an Orioles homer, I think Markakis is in for a big season. As noted the lineup around him is so much better. Last year, by July and August, he was clearly the one hitter on the Orioles who could hurt you. So other teams just gave him nothing - leaving him the option of swinging at junk or taking the walks. He pressed too hard to try to do something, started chasing bad pitches - which is the complete opposite of his normal game - and his numbers slumped. He had 50 walks before the All-Star break and only 23 after and his OPS was about 100 points lower in the second half.

He didn't turn 27 until after the season ended and he's a lifetime .300 hitter with 3000 at-bats under his belt. With the improved lineup, the new hitting coach (replacing Angelos relic Terry Crowley after more than a decade of failure), and the best team of his career around him (not saying much), I look for this to be Markakis's best season. If he's ever going to break out - and I think he will - this is it.

:lmao: at Greco. Thanks for all the replies fellas. I actually did hold on to Markakis and traded BJ for a draft pick.

Users who are viewing this thread