What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bluetooth Speakers.....you can control with your phone (1 Viewer)

Wrigley

Footballguy
Wife and I are looking at a portable/Bluetooth speaker system for outside.

Anyone have any experience?

I just purchased the Sony SRS BTX 500...MSRP is $299...amazon has it for $248...Costco has it for $179! ($229-$50 instant rebate good until 7/7; in warehouse only, NOT avail at Costco.com). RUN to your local Costco would be my advice

Wrigley said:
Wife and I are looking at these

Samsung

Bowers

I know, we're crazy
I have this one: https://jawbone.com/speakers/bigjambox/overview?r=awbj3&gclid=CKaohvi8krgCFQE6QgodmTUAcA

I wouldn't want to host a big party using just this but puts out good enough quality sound to have music outside while having dinner. Indoors it sounds surprisingly good for such a small speaker.

The ones you are looking at are a bit pricier so I'd bet they have better sound.

Highly recommend any bluetooth portable speaker. I don't like messing around with electronics, these things are pretty fool proof.

Wrigley said:

Samsung

Bowers

I know, we're crazy
I have this one: https://jawbone.com/speakers/bigjambox/overview?r=awbj3&gclid=CKaohvi8krgCFQE6QgodmTUAcA

I wouldn't want to host a big party using just this but puts out good enough quality sound to have music outside while having dinner. Indoors it sounds surprisingly good for such a small speaker.

The ones you are looking at are a bit pricier so I'd bet they have better sound.

Highly recommend any bluetooth portable speaker. I don't like messing around with electronics, these things are pretty fool proof.
I have that one as well and am very pleased. Super easy to use, great battery life, and very portable. Highly recommended.

Just got the Bose Soundlink II this weekend. They go for $299 but are the best I've come across and worth the scratch

Wrigley said:

Samsung

Bowers

I know, we're crazy

I have that one as well and am very pleased. Super easy to use, great battery life, and very portable. Highly recommended.
also have that one. very easy to use and nice sound indoors for being so portable.

Wrigley said:

Samsung

Bowers

I know, we're crazy

also have that one. very easy to use and nice sound indoors for being so portable.
Went in thinking about getting this.

But was blown away by the sound on the Samsung and B&W

Just got the Bose Soundlink II this weekend. They go for $299 but are the best I've come across and worth the scratch
We got this one as a housewarming gift a year ago. I like it a lot, but I probably would have chosen the Jambox just because it seems sturdier. The Bose folds up smaller though. Both have good sound.

The ones linked in the original post seem like overkill. They're portable, but you'll be too scared to take it anywhere when it costs that much. Could be damaged/lost/stolen. I wouldn't even want to take that Samsung into my own backyard. Could be scratched/splashed/etc. It's also considerably heavier.

I'm sure the sound quality is better, but assuming you're playing compressed files from your phone (or even worse... streaming) will it really sound that much different?

Anyone got one that is waterproof that can be set by a pool?
The Bose Soundlink and the Jawbone can both handle the occasional splash. You'll want it on a table to keep it mostly dry though. We also have a waterproof one for river trips, but the sound isn't nearly as good. And there's no Bluetooth.

Zooka is a good deal. It's about $80, like 8 inches long, and maybe 2 inches wide/tall. It weighs maybe 2 pounds. It won't give you Bose sound, but it does the trick for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
well i just bought this one and am happy with it for casual listening, but I'm neither an audiophile, nor do i have that type of money.. and wanted something super portable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AYLDSU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I looked at this but decided to go one notch up and got the JBL Flip for $100. I think is just as nice as the jawbone for way less money. I'm like Dentist, not an audiophile; but it sounds plenty nice to me.

I have not listened to this yet, but I would consider this guy from peachtree audio.

http://www.peachtreeaudio.com/deepblue-bluetooth-music-system.html

I have been looking at some of their amplifiers with built in docks for high end stereo for a while. Their amps sound great and are good quaility. I don't know as much about this product, just recently found about it, but it looks to be less then what you are looking at, and these guys are a big digitial audio company, so i would expect it to sound pretty good.

I have had a Jambox for about a year now. Love it. Puts out really good sound for a small platform. Their Big Jambox works great as well.

Bought the Samsung, holy #### the sound is awesome.

Of course we've got 15 days to think it over.

:sold:

:thumbup:

Looks awesome! From the review, it looks like you can control this thing via wifi? How robust is that? Also, is there an app or what have you that allows you to control the volume and everything via smartphone/tablet?

Going slightly off topic, for those looking for a portable bluetooth speaker, just picked up the JLAB Crasher and would highly recommend it.

In my opinion, when comparing to the Jawbone Jambox ($180 list, yikes) or similar size/cost speakers, best combo of cost + bluetooth + sound quality + recharge-to-use time (about 2.5 hrs for up to 18 hours of use at medium volume). Bonus for allowing you to charge your phone from the speaker - would be a good use for the iPhone FBGs vs. the Samsung FBGs that can change batteries. Got mine to use at beach/pool/tailgates/vacation primarily with an old Android phone + Spotify premium where I have downloaded songs to the device to provide close proximity sound (for the outdoor uses, like the pool at an all-inclusive place for our two chairs) or to have something to listen to in the hotel room while on vacation.

You control volume and playlist from your bluetooth connected device (I leave the phone next to the speaker or in my pocket staying within 25 feet of it). Or, you can control volume from the speaker. Only drawback from my post purchase review of the JLAB Crasher speaker reviews was that using the speaker as a "speakerphone" was not a very good experience.

Picked mine up at Staples for slightly more than the expired Groupon deal linked below (which was a steal at $40 shipped, wish I saw this thread earlier). Staples has a 20% in-store coupon on their website now which makes this little guy $64 out the door before tax. Or, if you may be able to get the in-store manager to price match Amazon that has them at $60.67 (would be killer if you can then get the 20% in-store on top of a price match, but YMMV). My deal at Staples had a 20% coupon when it was on sale for $60 (down from regular price of $80), and I had some expiring rewards I needed to cash out.

Another reasonably priced alternative is the Auvio from Radio Shack - similar pricing ($80 list, can regularly find this on sale at $50), similar performance in my short comparisons to the JLAB Crasher. I actually have this one, but the short battery life (only 6 hrs play on one charge) not performance is what is lead me to move on to another speaker. This guy is getting boxed up and resold on the work bulletin board or Craigslist or donated to one of my nieces for use in their bedroom.

Groupon link (deal is expired)

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-jlab-crasher-portable-speaker

Staples link

http://www.staples.com/JLab-Crasher-Portable-Bluetooth-Hi-Fi-Speaker-with-Phone-Charging-Port-Midnight/product_137805

Auvio/Radio Shack link

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16995766

Amazon Links (for comparison/reviews)

http://www.amazon.com/Crasher-Portable-Bluetooth--Midnight-Gunmetal/dp/B00A44RLRW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1372944724&sr=1-1&keywords=jlab+crasher

http://www.amazon.com/AUVIO-Bluetooth-Portable-Speaker-40-375/dp/B00AITXACS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1372944766&sr=1-1&keywords=auvio+bluetooth+speaker

Not exactly what OP was looking for, but I figured I'd mention this thing I oredered and am very happy with.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492TTP-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver/dp/B0047T79VS

Note that this is redundant if you already have an apple airport express setup or a set-top box you connect to a music service with, but if you don't and you want to link your existing stereo to the cloud via your smartphone, It's pretty hard to beat this $23 solution.

hxperson said:
Wrigley said:

:thumbup:

Looks awesome! From the review, it looks like you can control this thing via wifi? How robust is that? Also, is there an app or what have you that allows you to control the volume and everything via smartphone/tablet?
We've only had it the one night, but the sound is unbelievable.

We have it connected to our wifi(airplay), and our phones/ipads via bluetooth......still has a very "full" deep sound.

No apps needed, all controls are handled using your phone/tablet/computer.

well i just bought this one and am happy with it for casual listening, but I'm neither an audiophile, nor do i have that type of money.. and wanted something super portable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009AYLDSU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's official. You're the cheapest skate on these forums.
it's really a very nice speaker, i'm completely satisfied with it in every way for how i use it.

if i want to play music on my deck, i already have a fully wired system with awesome outdoor deck speakers... i'll just plug my tablet into the wired system.

This is for casual listening

Not sure if this is still the best thread - search is impossible.

Any updated recommendations on bluetooth speaker? I've done some research and kind of narrowed it down to the BeoPlay2 v the Sonos Play 3.

Any other recommendations? Anyone have either of the two I mentioned?

Thank you.

I went with Sonos a few months ago and been completely satisfied. I have a full surround sound system set up in the family room and it sounds fantastic. I also have a Play 5 that I use as a mobile player for anywhere in the house. Me and my son move it around all the time. Sonos has mastered the synch up with wireless devices. Bose and the others have been playing catch-up but they're not there yet. The Sonos app on my iPhone is so intuitive, easy to use, and it always works. The speakers sound great, though I have to admit I'm always partial to Bose when it comes to acoustical quality. If you are getting a standalone for outside I would definitely go with the 5 over the 3. The 3's are really only meant to be the satellite speakers in a surround sound system.

I Grabbed a Sonos bluetooth speaker and its pretty weak IMO. Its white with purple rainbow looking covers on the speaker grill. The water proof rectangular photive is still the best Bluetooth speaker I own. The sound is incredible for its size.

This is what I use in my home gym, outside for BBQ/weekend, by the pool, I take it with me when I travel....great sound and small size.

Users who are viewing this thread