What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bobby Rainey - Is it just me? (1 Viewer)

dont want to be a wet blanket, but the Lions run D has been stout, something like 6 straight games keeping the opposing starting RB under 50 yards rushing.

Its through the air that you beat Det.

Looks like Bobby is making it rain!!!! Congrats to the sharks who were able to foresee this.
No one foresaw yesterday. Most notably, the Falcons.
Agreed. Pretty sure Rainey got grabbed before I could grab him, but "sharks" couldn't have foreseen this. Calvin has almost 200 yards and 2 TDs and was outscored by Rainey. No way anyone saw this coming. Sure, in a pinch, you may have started him. I started Ray Rice and Donald Brown and got great games from them, but was I assuming 20+ point games from them?

That said, if you have RBs going against Chicago and Atlanta, you start them, no matter what. They are epically bad and seemingly getting worse.

He's the 3rd string RB that was recently cut for mcgahee. Anything could happen but I'd put the chances at around 15%. And even if he's "good" what's the upside? He's on a terrible team that won't have the game in their favor most of the time. He's not the receiving back and not the goal line back. His upside is likely what DWill was. Just isn't that appealing unless you're in dire straights.

I have CJ Anderson as my 6th RB and I kept him over trying snag Leonard or Rainey.
I like my crow served cold.
On the bright side ... at least you have CJ Anderson.

Rainey got scooped up in every one of my leagues before that monster game. I don't think his emergence is that much of a surprise. Now the 160+ yard 3 TD game no one could have predicted and that was a surprise. But those of us who took a flyer on Rainey, (maybe I should speak for myself) did so with an absolute feeling that Brian Leonard was just a guy. Waldman's been raving about Rainey. I see a lotta Bucs football and my eyeball test told me all I needed to see was right there in front of me. Those who read the tea leaves thinking it was Leonard were flat wrong.

Offers solid vision and nice burst. Tampa O-line is playing lights out right now and have been for the last several weeks.

I don't see anything special about Rainey, but the guy finds & hits the holes and has fresh legs for the stretch run. Credit Tampa's O-line performance the last few weeks, they've manhandled Seattle, Miami, & Atlanta up front.
Solid Vision

Nice Burst

Finds Holes

Hits Holes

Fresh Legs

Oline Playing lights out

Meh ...Nothing Special

Rainey looked oddly similar yesterday to Doug Martin last year. He's an RB1 the rest of the way, and a nice #2 when Martin is back next year.

Offers solid vision and nice burst. Tampa O-line is playing lights out right now and have been for the last several weeks.

I don't see anything special about Rainey, but the guy finds & hits the holes and has fresh legs for the stretch run. Credit Tampa's O-line performance the last few weeks, they've manhandled Seattle, Miami, & Atlanta up front.
:goodposting:

I agree the guy doesn't have one special quality & benefits from fresh legs and great line play, but the guy looks to get lost amongst his lineman.....and just comes outta there. It was very Warrick Dunn-esque watching him get lost amongst his lineman & then emerge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I freeaking HATE Bobby Rainey. No one has done anything for TB this year and now this? Ridiculous.

The worst part - the best team in our league scooped him and started him. I am fairly certain witchcraft was involved.

I started him and banked 32 points despited losing anyway. Agreed that anyone going vs ATL is a must start from a RB perspective.

good move if you played him..

nothing worse than seeing 36 points on your bench when your 3 rbs dont even combine for that much

monk said:
He's the 3rd string RB that was recently cut for mcgahee. Anything could happen but I'd put the chances at around 15%. And even if he's "good" what's the upside? He's on a terrible team that won't have the game in their favor most of the time. He's not the receiving back and not the goal line back. His upside is likely what DWill was. Just isn't that appealing unless you're in dire straights.

I have CJ Anderson as my 6th RB and I kept him over trying snag Leonard or Rainey.
I like my crow served cold.
On the bright side ... at least you have CJ Anderson.
haha...I do have that going for me....

Raiderfan32904 said:
Rainey got scooped up in every one of my leagues before that monster game. I don't think his emergence is that much of a surprise. Now the 160+ yard 3 TD game no one could have predicted and that was a surprise. But those of us who took a flyer on Rainey, (maybe I should speak for myself) did so with an absolute feeling that Brian Leonard was just a guy. Waldman's been raving about Rainey. I see a lotta Bucs football and my eyeball test told me all I needed to see was right there in front of me. Those who read the tea leaves thinking it was Leonard were flat wrong.
Except for a certain site I pay 26.95 a year to.... :oldunsure:

ebsteelers said:

nothing worse than seeing 36 points on your bench when your 3 rbs dont even combine for that much
how 'bout having his 36 points on your bench in THREE different leagues? ugh.

Raiderfan32904 said:
Except for a certain site I pay 26.95 a year to.... :oldunsure:
How could you miss Waldman's latest "From the Gut" as a subscriber? Rainey headlined that article. He was preaching the Rainey Religion like a southern baptist minister. Don't pay for the rankings, the real gold's in the writeups of the FBG staff. Supplement that info with people who actually go to the games and chime in here on the SP. :moneybag:

I freeaking HATE Bobby Rainey. No one has done anything for TB this year and now this? Ridiculous.

The worst part - the best team in our league scooped him and started him. I am fairly certain witchcraft was involved.
I wouldn't say that. Mike James had a 150 yard plus game against a much better Seattle D just 3 games back.

Playing the doormat of the NFL in the Falcons didn't hurt. Even TRich might've had a decent game. He's a moderate talent, most RB's in the league would've had a nice day but good for him after not even being able to stick with the Browns.

Rainey: 8 rushes for 24 yards, 0 TD.

Leonard will have 18 rushes for 72 yards and a TD, with 3 catches for another 30 yards.

Leonard is the back to own. It amazes me that you guys actually think Rainey has any value.
You could be the worst ever. Wrong every time.
Hope you brought your appetite for crow. Terrible call.
I'm like 98% right on these things. Every once in a long while, the other guy hits an inside straight draw on the river. Crow eaten.

Picked him up and played him this week and was obviously thrilled but his schedule is brutal... Still he is one of the few backs in the league that should see a huge workload each week... Mixed feelings.

Anyone said they were 100% certain what was going to happen yesterday is BSing.

That said, I picked him up last week. He passed the eye test, and the O-line was playing well. He was a lottery ticket because he was virtually unknown how he will fit with this offense.

Jackpot? Not sure yet. Still, he could easily end up being a late-season fantasy playoff star like Pierre Thomas or Ron Dayne. (even if he amounts to nothing after that)

ebsteelers said:

how 'bout having his 36 points on your bench in THREE different leagues? ugh.
I had Rainey AND Ray Rice on my bench in one league (first time all season I benched Rice)....currently losing by 3.....he has Ridley, I have Stewart tonight.

Had him on the bench in the only other league I was able to get him in as well.

Anyone said they were 100% certain what was going to happen yesterday is BSing.

That said, I picked him up last week. He passed the eye test, and the O-line was playing well. He was a lottery ticket because he was virtually unknown how he will fit with this offense.

Jackpot? Not sure yet. Still, he could easily end up being a late-season fantasy playoff star like Pierre Thomas or Ron Dayne. (even if he amounts to nothing after that)
Or Rueben Droughns or Aaron Stecker or Ladelle Betts or blah blah blah. It seems to happen EVERY year. This year seems no different with guys like Stacy, Ellington and now Rainey gaining steam just as we enter the stretch. Ear to the ground and hand on the wire.

Came to post essentially the same thing. Rainey is the type of "choose a gap and go" kind of RB that should really excel given the Bucs line play recently.

Pro football focus is in love:

Evidently there is a tree somewhere in Tampa Bay where the Buccaneers grow running backs, with Bobby Rainey (+6.9) following in the footsteps of Doug Martin and Mike James to dazzle at the position. Thats doing a disservice to Rainey however as, to put it simply, he played so well that its the highest grade weve ever given to a running back.

In just his second game in Tampa Bay, the Buccaneers handed the ball off to Rainey 30 times, and he didnt disappoint, forcing six missed tackles and racking up 118 yards after contact. He beat defenders in every way imaginable, using his speed to blow by them, quick cuts to get himself out of trouble and stiff arms to keep them at bay. His Elusive Rating of 86.0 highlights how well he played but it was a performance for the ages, not bad for a player playing for his third team this year.

Pro football focus is in love:

Evidently there is a tree somewhere in Tampa Bay where the Buccaneers grow running backs, with Bobby Rainey (+6.9) following in the footsteps of Doug Martin and Mike James to dazzle at the position. Thats doing a disservice to Rainey however as, to put it simply, he played so well that its the highest grade weve ever given to a running back.

In just his second game in Tampa Bay, the Buccaneers handed the ball off to Rainey 30 times, and he didnt disappoint, forcing six missed tackles and racking up 118 yards after contact. He beat defenders in every way imaginable, using his speed to blow by them, quick cuts to get himself out of trouble and stiff arms to keep them at bay. His Elusive Rating of 86.0 highlights how well he played but it was a performance for the ages, not bad for a player playing for his third team this year.
Man this is good stuff. He has just an ok schedule coming up. This week at Detroit and I'm tuning in. Hopefully the Lions play down to their competition so Rainey gets the ball 20+ times.

You watch highlights on this kid and he doesn't need much room to break a big run. He really finishes runs and he has good hands. He's the total package. I still put the odds of him beating out Doug Martin for the starting gig pretty low but Martin didn't really light it up before he got hurt. If Rainey has a huge finish to the year he might get a chance in training camp.........

Question I have is what to make about Martin? After Dougie went down, both backs that replaced him have blown up the stat book. I was wondering if Martin is even a keeper now, because this really doesn't bode well for Martin.

Question I have is what to make about Martin? After Dougie went down, both backs that replaced him have blown up the stat book. I was wondering if Martin is even a keeper now, because this really doesn't bode well for Martin.
Martin played with freeman. Apples-oranges.

I'd be more concerned about a rbbc deal like Houston than if Martin is any good

Hes still available in my league. Im 2nd in priority ...praying I snag him.

As a Giants fan the last thing I wish to do is start DeMarco Murray this weekend. Please FF gods, deliver me this Rain man

Oh, by the way... This is the 3rd TB RB I have owned and hopefully the last. This team sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if I start him this week to the tune of 40 yards and a fumble :shrug:

Just got him off waivers, kinda surprised. . Det is tough so I probably won't start him this week but the playoff schedule is nice esp week 16 with stl

So what the hell happened with Martin? It's not normal to have not one but two backup shine in relief when the starter really struggled.
I think it is a subject worth noting...not that he will be denied the keys when he returns, but even Leonard did more than Martin (so that makes three back ups who have excelled more than him). Before people jump on the Freeman thing, lets be honest, the chasm in talent between Freeman and Glennon (at this point), is not that big. Its not like Browning Nagle was benched for Dan Marino or something.

The offensive line is way way waaaaay better now that it was even a month ago. Their play picked up in the Seattle game when Jamon Meredith was inserted at LG. It has nothing to do with Freeman or Glennon.

If Doug was healthy and playing now he would be ripping up the yardage. It's a total 180 from what he was facing.

So what the hell happened with Martin? It's not normal to have not one but two backup shine in relief when the starter really struggled.
I think it is a subject worth noting...not that he will be denied the keys when he returns, but even Leonard did more than Martin (so that makes three back ups who have excelled more than him). Before people jump on the Freeman thing, lets be honest, the chasm in talent between Freeman and Glennon (at this point), is not that big. Its not like Browning Nagle was benched for Dan Marino or something.
Agreed, is it a great sign for Martin in 2014 or he is on the outs?

One note, if you watched Freeman in his Minny game, he was beyond awful. Not sure if he had just completely fallen apart as I didn't watch the Tampa games.

I think more importantly is the line play. Don't forget that Nicks (pro-bowler from NO) had that infection thing and I don't think he has even played. He played in week 3/4, so the line was probably in disarray for a while with new starters, etc. Look at the Giants running game. I had to watch David Wilson and while he wasn't great, their OL was atrocious early on with some injuries and they got healthy and cohesive and are now winning. I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa's OL took some time to gel with injuries (I think more than just Nicks was hurt early) and is now playing a lot better. That happens and sometimes makes journeymen (like Brandon Jacobs and Hillis) look like studs, but when the starters come back (Brown), the journeymen go back to obscurity.

Rainey is a lot younger (so is Martin), so his talent may have been overlooked, or his OL is just playing really well. It could be the combination of fresh legs and OL play. I wouldn't be shocked to see Martin as the bell cow next year. Lots of examples of fresh legged RBs bursting from the WW and bursting back into obscurity the next season.

Just got him off waivers, kinda surprised. . Det is tough so I probably won't start him this week but the playoff schedule is nice esp week 16 with stl
Same. Waivers ran and he was still there for some reason.

I'd have no problem flexing him this week, which is a consideration at this point.

When Martin was in there, teams were stacking the box and V Jax was doing nothing with Freeman. Glennon came in, Glennon to V Jax exploded, and just as defences began to turn their eyes towards other threats than Martin, he got injured.

That's the way I've read it anyway, I may be wrong

Okay, I know the matchups are terrible, but can you really bench this guy after last week? I started him in one of two leagues and can't seem to resist the urge to start him this week @DET (and until further notice as my RB2) over options like

Chris Johnson

Demarco Murray

Shane Vereen

ROS is ugly - @DET, @CAR, BUF, SF, @STL, but

the Tampa OL is playing well;

their passing game is enough of a threat to take some heat off;

his competition for RB touches is sparse; and

he has fresh legs. Don't discount this last factor!

Look at what he's done in the last 5 quarters as the Bucs feature RB. It's easy to temper enthusiasm about a guy who was cut by two teams this year, but that may actually be more a plus than a minus if it means he's fresh and motivated.

This week will tell me a lot about Rainey and this situation in terms of where he stands ROS. I wish his matchups were just a little bit easier! SF and STL are bottom ten against fantasy RBs this year, so maybe there's hope, but I have a feeling that stat is skewed by early season struggles by those teams rather than current status. I'll have to watch them closely next few weeks too, if Rainey proves legit.

LawFitz said:
Okay, I know the matchups are terrible, but can you really bench this guy after last week? I started him in one of two leagues and can't seem to resist the urge to start him this week @DET (and until further notice as my RB2) over options like

Chris Johnson

Demarco Murray

Shane Vereen

Look at what he's done in the last 5 quarters as the Bucs feature RB. It's easy to temper enthusiasm about a guy who was cut by two teams this year, but that may actually be more a plus than a minus if it means he's fresh and motivated.

This week will tell me a lot about Rainey and this situation in terms of where he stands ROS. I wish his matchups were just a little bit easier! SF and STL are bottom ten against fantasy RBs this year, so maybe there's hope, but I have a feeling that stat is skewed by early season struggles by those teams rather than current status. I'll have to watch them closely next few weeks too, if Rainey proves legit.
I am starting p. Thomas and vereen over him this week. I agree this is a big week for him and if does well again I can see starting him regardless of the opponent moving forward. Aren't the lions a top run def?

Can't make up my mind if I want to start the rainmaker or K.Allen in my flex. :shrug: Either way I figure I will make the wrong choice, thats how it works.

LawFitz said:

Chris Johnson

Demarco Murray

Shane Vereen

Detroit is a tough matchup yardage wise, but there are going to be several scoring opportunities. Tampa has played so much better once they got rid of Freeman. This is a winable game for them. Carolina is the only time I'd consider benching him.

Finally had a chance to watch Rainey's last game on NFL Rewind. It was against the lowly Falcons, but wow. Dude looked like a cross between Zach Stacy and Darren Sproles. Flashed tremendous vision through the hole with nice cuts at multiple field levels and power to finish near every run. His game included one long run and a bunch of intermediate runs, some where he bullied his way into extra yards, others where he made nice reads and cuts, some where he seemed to get lost in the hole and then burst out MJD style, a couple where he was on the verge of breaking open for another big gainer. And they used him both running and as a receiver in the RZ and his pass blocking looked fine. Last week's stats didn't show a nice screen pass he had called back that went for 20+.

Even more curious now to see how he looks this weekend against a real D.

Would sell high if the trade deadline hadn't passed. Really wanted to see what happened after a shotgun offer to all 11 guys for their 1st.

I'm sure someone else covered it above, but the last 5 weeks (vs. the Lions)

Week 6: McGahee 10-37, 1-2

Week 7: G.Bernard 7-27, 5-32

Week 9: J.Randle 14-26, 3-18

Week 10: M.Forte 17-33, 4-16

Week 11: L.Bell 18-36, 4-52

0 rushing TD's amongst that group. As good as Tampa's O-line is playing, I can't feel real comfortable playing Rainey this week. I don't even think you can bank on the receiving yardage with Leonard there. If he's still going, I'll probably jump back on for Week 14.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure someone else covered it above, but the last 5 weeks (vs. the Lions)

Week 6: McGahee 10-37, 1-2

Week 7: G.Bernard 7-27, 5-32

Week 9: J.Randle 14-26, 3-18

Week 10: M.Forte 17-33, 4-16

Week 11: L.Bell 18-36, 4-52

0 rushing TD's amongst that group. As good as Tampa's O-line is playing, I can't feel real comfortable playing Rainey this week. I don't even think you can bank on the receiving yardage with Leonard there. If he's still going, I'll probably jump back on for Week 14.
Digging a little deeper ... Below are the avg rushing ranks of each team. Tampa is 13 and probably #1 over the last 3 weeks

Chi - 18th - Give Det credit for this but Forte had 95 22 and a TD 1st game ...Chicago was terrible as a whole the 2nd game

Cin - 19th - Bernard only ran 7 time and avg 3.9. He was 15 for 28 (1.9) the game before and 5 for 18 (3.6) the game after.

Cle - 26th - McGhee is old and terrible (Ogbonnaya had a great game)

Dal - 28th - Randle is a backup and a terrible RB

Pit - 30th - 90 Total yards isn't that bad (Pitt was too busy passing all over Det to run)

Users who are viewing this thread