What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boise, Idaho (1 Viewer)

jamny

Footballguy
We're about 5 years from retiring and I've been looking into places to possibly move to. We love Jackson Hole but it's way too trendy and expensive. Boise has recently hit my radar as a possibility. Any opinions on the area? Looks like an even better area as a central location for road trips and enough of a city, with restaurants at least, to be in some civilization.

We're about 5 years from retiring and I've been looking into places to possibly move to. We love Jackson Hole but it's way too trendy and expensive. Boise has recently hit my radar as a possibility. Any opinions on the area? Looks like an even better area as a central location for road trips and enough of a city, with restaurants at least, to be in some civilization.
My sister, bro-in-law and their kids live there and it is one of my favorite places on the planet. If I could find a way to keep my job and income and live there I would. Its like the greatest hits of Seattle, Portland and San Fran. Great bars and restaurants, a very cool music scene and its very deep culturally. My family lives "on the bench" of Boise and they can ride bikes to the Boise Green Belt, downtown and several concert venues (and Boise State too). My family also rents a home out in Sun Valley with another family for the winter and they get in a ton of skiing each season (its around a 2-hour drive as I recall). Since they are in the valley, most winters are mild. I done some of the coolest trail run there and there is an awesome system of running/biking/hiking trails right on the edge of the city. The only odd thing (and its not a drawback, just an observation) is they way the city is zoned (or lack thereof). The newer developments are very consistent, but the older neighborhoods have a different kind of mix of homes and some businesses tossed in. Another minor drawback to me is that getting there if you are east of the Mississippi is difficult and pricey by plane.

My sister, bro-in-law and their kids live there and it is one of my favorite places on the planet. If I could find a way to keep my job and income and live there I would. Its like the greatest hits of Seattle, Portland and San Fran. Great bars and restaurants, a very cool music scene and its very deep culturally. My family lives "on the bench" of Boise and they can ride bikes to the Boise Green Belt, downtown and several concert venues (and Boise State too). My family also rents a home out in Sun Valley with another family for the winter and they get in a ton of skiing each season (its around a 2-hour drive as I recall). Since they are in the valley, most winters are mild. I done some of the coolest trail run there and there is an awesome system of running/biking/hiking trails right on the edge of the city. The only odd thing (and its not a drawback, just an observation) is they way the city is zoned (or lack thereof). The newer developments are very consistent, but the older neighborhoods have a different kind of mix of homes and some businesses tossed in. Another minor drawback to me is that getting there if you are east of the Mississippi is difficult and pricey by plane.
Thanks!

It really is looking like a great fit for us. Great review.

I've never lived in Boise but I've visited many times as I have friends from residency that opened practices there. Just big enough of a city to offer cultural diversity and activities but has more of a smaller town feel to it. I go to shows there occasionally when bands skip Salt Lake City---like 2Y2BB said, it has a great music scene for it's size. Fantastic restaurants. Excellent outdoors activity opportunities. Although not as good as Utah's, the skiing is not bad and fairly close.

I'm not sure about the cost of living but I suspect it's pretty reasonable. Overall, a great city. I'd certainly consider retiring there as well. Good luck!

I've never lived in Boise but I've visited many times as I have friends from residency that opened practices there. Just big enough of a city to offer cultural diversity and activities but has more of a smaller town feel to it. I go to shows there occasionally when bands skip Salt Lake City---like 2Y2BB said, it has a great music scene for it's size. Fantastic restaurants. Excellent outdoors activity opportunities. Although not as good as Utah's, the skiing is not bad and fairly close.

I'm not sure about the cost of living but I suspect it's pretty reasonable. Overall, a great city. I'd certainly consider retiring there as well. Good luck!
Awesome...thx!

I'm gettin' a bit excited. We're already looking at heading there for 4th of July this year to check it out.

Echo all of this. My brother and his family left Northern California for Boise years ago and they love it. I've only been there a couple of times but it seems like a great place to raise a family, affordable real estate, and surrounded by great outdoor opportunities (if you like fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, skiing, etc.).

Wife and I are actually going to visit next month with some friends, as we've also heard good things about it as a potential landing spot in the future. We've been scoping out several parts of the PNW, and are interested to see Boise.

Would be interested in any opinions of fun winter things locals enjoy in the area (we have a decent list already, skiing, snowshoeing, etc.), for four 30-somethings that enjoy the outdoors, good food & coffee, etc.

Wife and I are actually going to visit next month with some friends, as we've also heard good things about it as a potential landing spot in the future. We've been scoping out several parts of the PNW, and are interested to see Boise.

Would be interested in any opinions of fun winter things locals enjoy in the area (we have a decent list already, skiing, snowshoeing, etc.), for four 30-somethings that enjoy the outdoors, good food & coffee, etc.
I think Bogus Basin is the closest ski resort. Not fantastic but not terrible.

Big City Coffee is a must for coffee and scones. Great.

Rediscovered Books is a nice indie bookstore downtown.

Neurolux is the best local club for music. Many touring acts stop there.

Lots of excellent restaurants downtown, especially Basque.

Airfares have gone down big time in the last month. Boise to John Wayne went from $425 to $217

Bogus is local.

Sun Valley is about 2 1/2 hours to east and awesome.

McCall/Tamarack is 2 hours north. McCall is the resort town on a lake and having Annual Winter Carnival soon. Tamarack is close and I've heard has great skiing.

Summer or Winter, what ever you want to do outdoors is within 30 to 180 minutes of Boise.

I live here. We don't need anymore people. Any more and what makes it great is ruined. Go Away!

Much of the new growth is centered around people from surrounding States retiring here. Real estate may seem affordable if you come from California, Oregon or Washington. But a decent house in a good location (Central Boise near the foothills) is likely to cost you upwards of $500k+. I'm sure the "average" stats for housing prices are a lot less than $500k, but in Boise, location matters a lot, and you are going to pay for that.

While jobs are booming, much of those are focused in service related industries (retail, restaurants, construction), which aren't the best paying if you are young. Micron (and to some extent HP) is the main focus of tech jobs - though there are smaller tech companies..but it is not how it was in the late 90's. Gov't, Boise State, and Health Care (specifically the hospital monopolies to service the geezers) are big employers too.

As I said, one thing I've noticed in the past 5 years are so is the sheer number of old folks who have retired here. That is concerning. What happens to the community as they age? Retirees tend to vote in support of their needs over those of the community. For instance: Will they loyalty to a school system when their kids didn't go to school here?

I think Boise by and large is a great place to raise a family. It is safe. However, it is not very ethnically diverse. For schools it really depends on where you live. Central Boise schools are (on whole) considered the best in the valley, but I'm jaded. My children go to a Charter School. Idaho isn't known for having a great public school system, but I think Boise is pretty good.

If you like the outdoors, Boise is a great place. Here are a few for instances:

Within 1/2 mile of the Idaho State Capital building you can be on a single track mountain bike trail in the foothills with (probably) continuous access to 100+ miles of trail.

The local ski area is about 15 miles from downtown (about a 40 minute drive).

You can fly fish and tube and raft down the Boise River through town in the summer. There's also a whitewater park. There's also world class white-water rivers 1-2 hours from town. WORLD Class.

There is a Boise Greenbelt with a paved path that follows the river for miles.

Lucky Peak Reservoir is about 10 miles away if you like boating sports.

There are a like of bike lanes in town itself, and if you live and work in Boise proper it's pretty easy to bike commute.

BSU sports are pretty good.

The University adds some culture.

In a lot of ways Boise is like the cover of a Patagonia catalog, with all of us white folks riding our 29er bikes from the trail down to the river to a local brew pub.

Unfortunately, all of these things are becoming more and more crowded, and with the crowds lose a lot of their luster. Boise was built to be an ideal place for a population of no more than 200,000. Population is probably above that now. Overall the vibe is becoming less small town friendly and more bigger city FU.

You'd think getting into the wilderness outside of Boise would be pretty easy too, but it is not. The geography of Idaho is pretty rugged and there isn't easy access into the mountains like you find in Wyoming, Colorado or Utah. If you want to car camp in the summer and find a beautiful spot where you have some isolation to fly your "freak flag"...it might take 3-6 hours (I've got a few secret spots - but like hell am I going to tell any of you).

Politically, if there is a hot bed of liberalism in the State of Idaho it would be Boise (and Hailey/Sun Valley). But as a whole we are extremely conservative. We like our guns and God. The State is extremely conservative.

Boise has what I would consider decent weather. It doesn't rain or snow a lot, and there isn't much humidity. In my guestimation the avg daytime high in the winter is 35-40 degrees. We often get an inversion in the wintertime where the valley is cold, grey and very polluted. It's a lot hotter than you'd think in the summer. In my guesstimation, the summers have 20+ days of above 100+ degrees. I've seen it 110. It isn't unusual to have the valley filled with smoke from forest fires from surrounding States or locally either. Last year a fire just across the valley from Boise in the Owyhee mountains burned more than 275,000 acres. The fires can really put a kibosh on all those outdoor activities too.

I grew up in Wyoming and lived in Colorado for 18 years. We moved here about 15 years ago from Denver- specifically to raise children in a great place. It was a smart move to do just that. However...we're about 6 years a way from being empty nesters and we're thinking about where we would go from here because of all the issues we can see coming down the pike that might make what was a great place to live not so much. Don't get me wrong, we'd probably still live in Boise part of the year...just not year round.

Boise is somewhat of an undiscovered "gem", that is becoming more discovered. And just like everywhere else, once it gets discovered it's ruined.

So please - you're welcome to visit...then go home and stay.

Never would've guessed it got that hot there. 91 and 90 average high in july and august according to weather.com. That's pretty hot.

I live here. We don't need anymore people. Any more and what makes it great is ruined. Go Away!

Much of the new growth is centered around people from surrounding States retiring here. Real estate may seem affordable if you come from California, Oregon or Washington. But a decent house in a good location (Central Boise near the foothills) is likely to cost you upwards of $500k+. I'm sure the "average" stats for housing prices are a lot less than $500k, but in Boise, location matters a lot, and you are going to pay for that.

While jobs are booming, much of those are focused in service related industries (retail, restaurants, construction), which aren't the best paying if you are young. Micron (and to some extent HP) is the main focus of tech jobs - though there are smaller tech companies..but it is not how it was in the late 90's. Gov't, Boise State, and Health Care (specifically the hospital monopolies to service the geezers) are big employers too.

As I said, one thing I've noticed in the past 5 years are so is the sheer number of old folks who have retired here. That is concerning. What happens to the community as they age? Retirees tend to vote in support of their needs over those of the community. For instance: Will they loyalty to a school system when their kids didn't go to school here?

I think Boise by and large is a great place to raise a family. It is safe. However, it is not very ethnically diverse. For schools it really depends on where you live. Central Boise schools are (on whole) considered the best in the valley, but I'm jaded. My children go to a Charter School. Idaho isn't known for having a great public school system, but I think Boise is pretty good.

If you like the outdoors, Boise is a great place. Here are a few for instances:

Within 1/2 mile of the Idaho State Capital building you can be on a single track mountain bike trail in the foothills with (probably) continuous access to 100+ miles of trail.

The local ski area is about 15 miles from downtown (about a 40 minute drive).

You can fly fish and tube and raft down the Boise River through town in the summer. There's also a whitewater park. There's also world class white-water rivers 1-2 hours from town. WORLD Class.

There is a Boise Greenbelt with a paved path that follows the river for miles.

Lucky Peak Reservoir is about 10 miles away if you like boating sports.

There are a like of bike lanes in town itself, and if you live and work in Boise proper it's pretty easy to bike commute.

BSU sports are pretty good.

The University adds some culture.

In a lot of ways Boise is like the cover of a Patagonia catalog, with all of us white folks riding our 29er bikes from the trail down to the river to a local brew pub.

Unfortunately, all of these things are becoming more and more crowded, and with the crowds lose a lot of their luster. Boise was built to be an ideal place for a population of no more than 200,000. Population is probably above that now. Overall the vibe is becoming less small town friendly and more bigger city FU.

You'd think getting into the wilderness outside of Boise would be pretty easy too, but it is not. The geography of Idaho is pretty rugged and there isn't easy access into the mountains like you find in Wyoming, Colorado or Utah. If you want to car camp in the summer and find a beautiful spot where you have some isolation to fly your "freak flag"...it might take 3-6 hours (I've got a few secret spots - but like hell am I going to tell any of you).

Politically, if there is a hot bed of liberalism in the State of Idaho it would be Boise (and Hailey/Sun Valley). But as a whole we are extremely conservative. We like our guns and God. The State is extremely conservative.

Boise has what I would consider decent weather. It doesn't rain or snow a lot, and there isn't much humidity. In my guestimation the avg daytime high in the winter is 35-40 degrees. We often get an inversion in the wintertime where the valley is cold, grey and very polluted. It's a lot hotter than you'd think in the summer. In my guesstimation, the summers have 20+ days of above 100+ degrees. I've seen it 110. It isn't unusual to have the valley filled with smoke from forest fires from surrounding States or locally either. Last year a fire just across the valley from Boise in the Owyhee mountains burned more than 275,000 acres. The fires can really put a kibosh on all those outdoor activities too.

I grew up in Wyoming and lived in Colorado for 18 years. We moved here about 15 years ago from Denver- specifically to raise children in a great place. It was a smart move to do just that. However...we're about 6 years a way from being empty nesters and we're thinking about where we would go from here because of all the issues we can see coming down the pike that might make what was a great place to live not so much. Don't get me wrong, we'd probably still live in Boise part of the year...just not year round.

Boise is somewhat of an undiscovered "gem", that is becoming more discovered. And just like everywhere else, once it gets discovered it's ruined.

So please - you're welcome to visit...then go home and stay.
You made a post like this almost six years ago when I started a thread just like this.

On the summer here, the hottest part of the day is around 5:30-6pm, not the 3pm in CA I was used to. Most of the time I'm inside at that time so it's not that bad.

I'm a RE agent here now. Average home price is in the lower $200's. The foothills and Eagle are mostly in the $400-600k range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post siff.

You might have to make room for 2 more. :D
Boise was 206,000 last time I checked a year ago.

The area is known as the "Treasure Valley". It was over 600,000 when I last checked.

They are expecting 200-300,000 to move into the Valley in the next 10 years. There is massive new home building and inventory for all homes has been at two months for the past year where a normal market is six months. (if no more homes went up for sale, it would take 2 months to sell them all)

Almost all of that growth is going to happen on the outer rim cities like Kuna, Middleton, Star, Nampa and Caldwell.

Traffic is worse than when I moved here, but it's still 1/100th as bad as So Cal. Can still get anywhere very easily.

Boise District schoold are very good. Most of the HS's make the USA Top 1500 lists. Even Vallivue in Caldwell made it last year.

Great post siff.

The area is known as the "Treasure Valley". It was over 600,000 when I last checked.

They are expecting 200-300,000 to move into the Valley in the next 10 years. There is massive new home building and inventory for all homes has been at two months for the past year where a normal market is six months. (if no more homes went up for sale, it would take 2 months to sell them all)

Almost all of that growth is going to happen on the outer rim cities like Kuna, Middleton, Star, Nampa and Caldwell.

Traffic is worse than when I moved here, but it's still 1/100th as bad as So Cal. Can still get anywhere very easily.

Boise District schoold are very good. Most of the HS's make the USA Top 1500 lists. Even Vallivue in Caldwell made it last year.
So what would like $400k get me?

Small house, 2BR, 2bath, modern, newish with a nice yard.

Great post siff.

So what would like $400k get me?

Small house, 2BR, 2bath, modern, newish with a nice yard.
depends where....

I have a $375k listing in Meridian... 3035 sq ft, 4 bd, 3 ba. .28 acre. No rear neighbors. Insane view of Bogus. Built in 2006. All the upgrades inside and out. 4 car garage.

In Eagle, I have a $479k listing. 4045 sq ft. 5 bd 3 ba. $80k upgrades since July. 0.55 acres. Pretty sweet place that is closer to Star than downtown Eagle where the same home would be in low 600's.

Meridian and Eagle are next to Boise. Eagle is by far most expensive city.

Your 2 bd 2ba would be in the "North End " of Boise next to downtown. 60-100 year homes. Most of them upgraded.

PM me your email addy and I will sent you the listings....

I'm not nearly that close, but thx!

Just wondering. I will def. contact you if we make that call.

Have you looked at Billings? I lived there for 2 years back in the early 2000s. Couldnt tell you how it is now, but It was nice then.

I'm from Idaho and lived in Boise for 6 years and my parents still live there. Siffs post is on the money. If it wasn't for all of the nearby hicks and ignorant gun toters I might have stayed. But I was desperate for some culture and diversity so I got the hell out. Great city though. The music scene has really improved over the years and the outdoor sport is hard to beat. Go get a tuna melt at bar gernika.

I'm from Idaho and lived in Boise for 6 years and my parents still live there. Siffs post is on the money. If it wasn't for all of the nearby hicks and ignorant gun toters I might have stayed. But I was desperate for some culture and diversity so I got the hell out. Great city though. The music scene has really improved over the years and the outdoor sport is hard to beat. Go get a tuna melt at bar gernika.
There is a fear of some culture shock. We've lived in Queens and worked in Manhattan forever. We've debated Westchester, down to the Carolinas, Vermont. But we really loved Wyoming and think somewhere in the surrounding area would be fun. We'll still both be in our 50's and would like some outdoor living. It's no where close to decided but I like what I'm reading about Boise.

My daughter is going to go to Boise State next year. She's pretty stoked about it and so am I.
I just remembered I was supposed to go back to your thread and give some feedback on the university. Looks like it was unnecessary. Good luck to your daughter! (Tell her to always behave around the cops and not to date any of the athletes. Seriously).

How big of a city are you looking for? Sheridan WY is right next to the Bighorn mountains, the housing market might suck there, or it might be too small for you and your wife. I think pop is around 20k.

There is a fear of some culture shock. We've lived in Queens and worked in Manhattan forever. We've debated Westchester, down to the Carolinas, Vermont. But we really loved Wyoming and think somewhere in the surrounding area would be fun. We'll still both be in our 50's and would like some outdoor living. It's no where close to decided but I like what I'm reading about Boise.
I'd be up for a beer in the city at some point if you want some face to face advice. I work in Manhattan as well. We can drag floppo along. He owes me a few rounds.

How big of a city are you looking for? Sheridan WY is right next to the Bighorn mountains, the housing market might suck there, or it might be too small for you and your wife. I think pop is around 20k.
:shrug:

Just looking at Boise right now. We'll check it out maybe on July 4th weekend and see what we think. We would need a decent sized city nearby.

My daughter is going to go to Boise State next year. She's pretty stoked about it and so am I.
I just remembered I was supposed to go back to your thread and give some feedback on the university. Looks like it was unnecessary. Good luck to your daughter! (Tell her to always behave around the cops and not to date any of the athletes. Seriously).
No worries. Thanks.

The "no dating the athlete" thing is going to be pretty difficult. She's studying athletic training and has a thing for football players. I keep telling her to go for the chess team kids, but she doesn't listen. :keepingmyfingerscrossed:

I had the privilege of being stationed at Mountain Home AFB 2001-2004. Loved it, love the area, love all things Idaho.

My advice: just go love it man :wub:

Getzlaf15 said:
NutterButter said:
Never would've guessed it got that hot there. 91 and 90 average high in july and august according to weather.com. That's pretty hot.
It's in a desert. Not many people would think that.
People with no understanding of geography I guess.

Thanks for the great reviews. Not seeing much negative.
Have an aunt and uncle that live there, raised their kids there, love it. I've visited them a handful of times. They built their own house up in the hills which has terrific views of downtown. Every time I've visited them and driven through the main city street that takes me to their house, I see people running, biking, walking. The city seems to be very fit and outdoor loving. One of my first nights partying there (mid 90's) this super hot chick took me into the ladies room with her and got me stoned. I was in love with the city (and the girl) immediately. I've never had a bad time in Boise.

Also never even once felt the urge to lock my car doors. I need to get back there and find that hot stoner girl.

Ladsud said:
Have you looked at Billings? I lived there for 2 years back in the early 2000s. Couldnt tell you how it is now, but It was nice then.
Of all the places in Montana to discuss and you suggest Billings?

Have an aunt and uncle that live there, raised their kids there, love it. I've visited them a handful of times. They built their own house up in the hills which has terrific views of downtown. Every time I've visited them and driven through the main city street that takes me to their house, I see people running, biking, walking. The city seems to be very fit and outdoor loving. One of my first nights partying there (mid 90's) this super hot chick took me into the ladies room with her and got me stoned. I was in love with the city (and the girl) immediately. I've never had a bad time in Boise.

Also never even once felt the urge to lock my car doors. I need to get back there and find that hot stoner girl.
Don't be silly. Lock your doors. Plenty of meth heads and burnouts in Boise.

Then how am I to meet people with good meth?

Then how am I to meet people with good meth?
Bowling alleys, pawn shops, The Cactus.

I read this the whole time thinking otbwas Iowa. Doh! I have never been west of Stl.
Why would you bother to go anywhere else when Woonsocket and Providence have everything anybody could ever want?
I pretty much stay between Cranston and Narragansett with the occasional jut to Newport. Hit the Brick Ally pub last night. It was decent.Edited to add, I have only been to Woonsocket once after high school I believe. I hit Chans restaurant in like 1994 and never went back.

I read this the whole time thinking otbwas Iowa. Doh! I have never been west of Stl.
Why would you bother to go anywhere else when Woonsocket and Providence have everything anybody could ever want?
I pretty much stay between Cranston and Narragansett with the occasional jut to Newport. Hit the Brick Ally pub last night. It was decent.
You live in a state the size of a fly-speck. They are all the same place to the rest of us.

Users who are viewing this thread