What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Borrowing From Your Future Self - a vicious dynasty cycle (1 Viewer)

The crucial aspect highlighted in your message is the difference in league size, a 16-team league. In my 32-team league with duplicate players, it becomes challenging to remain competitive without trading away future draft picks. Drafting in the middle of the pack each year may result in a mediocre performance at best. Conversely, in a 12-team league, I prefer to have the flexibility of acquiring picks and maneuvering up and down the draft board as needed.

The crucial aspect highlighted in your message is the difference in league size, a 16-team league. In my 32-team league with duplicate players, it becomes challenging to remain competitive without trading away future draft picks. Drafting in the middle of the pack each year may result in a mediocre performance at best. Conversely, in a 12-team league, I prefer to have the flexibility of acquiring picks and maneuvering up and down the draft board as needed.
Oh for sure.

Since I’m in 2x 16 team leagues & 1 12-teamer, I sort of instinctively do the math. A 1.16 = 2.04

In that format, or in yours especially, the pick value is significantly easier to let go of.

In 12-team leagues the worst you can do is 1.12, which in SF can still be a very decent player. In your league if you’ve got pick 1.19, notsomuch.

Yep - I’m feeling like if it’s not working, I’m going to target 2026 picks.
After mortgaging some of the future for the now, and without reducing your chances of winning in the short term, it feels to me like there's an inevitability that at some point you just have to eat a draft in it's near entirety. The best way to do so this I think is to push everything forward. Where picks are concerned just ignore the following season and go heavy on the one after. Attempting to project what each class looks like is futile most of the time, and can actually work to your detriment if everyone is overvaluing it (which they almost invariably do).

Oh for sure.

Since I’m in 2x 16 team leagues & 1 12-teamer, I sort of instinctively do the math. A 1.16 = 2.04

In that format, or in yours especially, the pick value is significantly easier to let go of.

In 12-team leagues the worst you can do is 1.12, which in SF can still be a very decent player. In your league if you’ve got pick 1.19, notsomuch.
This is not exactly what I mean, let's take 1.10 as an example, same value in both leagues. From my experience, in a 16-team league, there are usually 2-3 teams that are exceptionally strong, and in order to be competitive, you have to give it your all (picks). It seems like more owners are aiming for the 1.01 spot and focusing on "rebuilding" rather than aiming to win. On the other hand, in a 12-team league, things are different. All you need to do is have a chance in the playoffs.

Oh for sure.

This is not exactly what I mean, let's take 1.10 as an example, same value in both leagues. From my experience, in a 16-team league, there are usually 2-3 teams that are exceptionally strong, and in order to be competitive, you have to give it your all (picks). It seems like more owners are aiming for the 1.01 spot and focusing on "rebuilding" rather than aiming to win. On the other hand, in a 12-team league, things are different. All you need to do is have a chance in the playoffs.
Ah, totally get what you’re saying, and yes - totally agree. It’s hard to win a ship. I barely did last year. At some point I’m gonna have to move everyone over say, 27, and do a soft rebuild. I’m just tryina kick that can down the road another couple years. ;)

It seems like more owners are aiming for the 1.01 spot and focusing on "rebuilding" rather than aiming to win. On the other hand, in a 12-team league, things are different. All you need to do is have a chance in the playoffs.
The teams focusing on rebuilding happens in every league regardless of size. I think this is a big error many owners continue to chase (the rebuild). Just as you say, in many leagues you can be competitive and then catch fire to win the league at the right time. You don't necessarily need a stacked team to do this. When it comes down to it, there is so much luck to actually win the title that trying to always play for "next year" isn't worthwhile. It can actually be a detriment to your overall chances as you are never really competing.

It seems like more owners are aiming for the 1.01 spot and focusing on "rebuilding" rather than aiming to win. On the other hand, in a 12-team league, things are different. All you need to do is have a chance in the playoffs.
The teams focusing on rebuilding happens in every league regardless of size. I think this is a big error many owners continue to chase (the rebuild). Just as you say, in many leagues you can be competitive and then catch fire to win the league at the right time. You don't necessarily need a stacked team to do this. When it comes down to it, there is so much luck to actually win the title that trying to always play for "next year" isn't worthwhile. It can actually be a detriment to your overall chances as you are never really competing.
It actually occurred to me as I was making some of these trades, especially the most recent for Deebo+TMc, that I was damn lucky to win the ‘ship, so is it a fool’s errand to try to chase that?

And while I know it sort of it, I did in fact win with a lesser team. So improving only improves my chances. Certainly no guarantees, but it’s gonna be a lot more fun to chase the glory than to embrace the suck. That’s coming soon anyway.
;)

It actually occurred to me as I was making some of these trades, especially the most recent for Deebo+TMc, that I was damn lucky to win the ‘ship, so is it a fool’s errand to try to chase that?

And while I know it sort of it, I did in fact win with a lesser team. So improving only improves my chances. Certainly no guarantees, but it’s gonna be a lot more fun to chase the glory than to embrace the suck. That’s coming soon anyway.
;)

It is a balance - making trades to strengthen your team and keeping an eye on the future so you don't mortgage everything and put yourself in a hole.

I once was in first place in a league and had some injury concerns at RB so I traded a future first for James Robinson when he was doing well. 2 weeks later he blew his achillies and was never really the same. Never could recover that spent 1st rounder. It was the only decent Rb at the time I could get my hands on. Sometimes bad luck can sink a **** too. It put me back not having a first rounder and not having that RB asset anymore. Basically lit my first rounder on fire.

;)

It is a balance - making trades to strengthen your team and keeping an eye on the future so you don't mortgage everything and put yourself in a hole.

I once was in first place in a league and had some injury concerns at RB so I traded a future first for James Robinson when he was doing well. 2 weeks later he blew his achillies and was never really the same. Never could recover that spent 1st rounder. It was the only decent Rb at the time I could get my hands on. Sometimes bad luck can sink a **** too. It put me back not having a first rounder and not having that RB asset anymore. Basically lit my first rounder on fire.
Can't really do anything about that though. Every 1st place team is a torn Achilles away from mediocrity. You made the right choice given your needs & circumstance. Maybe you take a bust with the 1st rounder - I believe you used the right process and just had a bad outcome.

I'd rather use good processes and hope for the best than be complacent & be a player away from the prize.

Users who are viewing this thread