What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brady's Performance (1 Viewer)

Chaz McNulty

Footballguy
This isn't meant as a fishing trip, and I only want New England (and Tom Brady) fans to chime in here. This game was without question Brady's worst playoff performance. Despite the fumbles, I believe that if Brady played his usual stellar game then New England wins. Brady threw for over 300 yds, so it wasn't like Denver had a stifling defence. Brady was just off the mark on 3 or 4 clutch plays.My question to the Pats fans is, do you think that this one poor performance will shake the playoff mystique of Tom Brady? Before this game there was almost a sense of invincability about Brady. That no matter what, Brady would lead his team to the promised land. Does this one performance shake this image, or do you think it will be business as usual for next year?

They'll heal during the offseason, physically and figuratively. Brady is a great quarterback who had a bad game. They'll be a damn good team next year.

If I remember correctly, Joe Montana wasn't undefeated in the playoffs and didn't make the superbowl every year yet he had quite a mystique

Brady was 10-0 before yesterday in the Playoffs10-0gimme a break, the guy lostHe's still one of the best Big game QB's of all time....i'd take him on my team any day of the weeknext year, he'll be back just as good as he was this yearhe made some bonehead plays last night but so did the rest of his team with the fumbles and whatnot

That which doesn't kill us only serves to make us stronger. If he can learn something from this, it's all good. He's <30 years old and already has 3 Super Bowl rings.I think he'll be just fine.

This game was without question Brady's worst playoff performance. Despite the fumbles, I believe that if Brady played his usual stellar game then New England wins. Brady threw for over 300 yds, so it wasn't like Denver had a stifling defence.
Denver's defense was aggressive. Aggressive defenses are designed to trade big offensive plays for big defensive plays. They were successful in this regard - they gave up 341 yards passing, but they also made some huge plays, and none huger than the 100 yard interception return. If they hadn't played so aggressively, brady probably doesnt get 341 yards passing, and they probably dont get that INT. Maybe he makes a couple of passes that were high (like the wide open pass play in the end zone), or maybe he doesn't get there in the first place. I don't know how many teams could get away with that kind of defense against Brady. I'm not sure the Broncos could, if they played the same game again - they definitely had some good bounces along the way, and the game would have been completely different. But I think you'll see teams try to replicate that next year, and that could be trouble for Brady.

Brady was just off the mark on 3 or 4 clutch plays.

My question to the Pats fans is, do you think that this one poor performance will shake the playoff mystique of Tom Brady? Before this game there was almost a sense of invincability about Brady. That no matter what, Brady would lead his team to the promised land. Does this one performance shake this image, or do you think it will be business as usual for next year?
I don't know. I think Brady's mystique comes from the fact that he's so good, not that he'd never lost a playoff game. I think the fact that he'd never lost a playoff game also came from the fact that he's so good. Correlation vs. causation, and all that.

Brady has everything a person could ever want, rings, hot girl, money, respect... It's no surprise people on message boards trash the guy. :own3d:

If Brady had played a typical Bradyesque game and lost, then this thread wouldn't exist.

But Brady wasn't his usual poised self yesterday. He was just average. He made mistakes, like a lot of playoff QBs do.

Nobody stays perfect forever. But time will tell if Brady returns to form or continues a Favre-esque slide to mediocrity.
"Continues a Favre-esque slide to mediocrity"?????? You've got to be kidding me. He personally had one of his best seasons ever, has one bad game, and now he might be on a slide toward mediocrity. Get a life hater.

Not surprised people are slamming Brady.Let't face it, if it could go wrong, it went wrong for the Pats. Adam V missed, Brady choked on the goal line, Faulk and Troy, two of the most reliable guys, fumbled the ball. We got a couple bad calls against us, and Denver made the plays.It happens. To be honest, I feel great about this team and it's future.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats draft a quarterback in the first round next year to replace Brady. ;)

Brady's still a great QB and any team would be happy to have him.But he played pretty poorly this game. It happens to the best sometimes, too.The funny thing here is the overreaction of some spoiled Pat fans who were too arrogant to think that the Pats might actually lose a playoff game. They remind me of the whiny 49er fans from the 80s. :cry: :cry:

Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe it's a team game, and sometimes teams get beat? That while one team may be better than another and would win the majority of games, that there isn't some mystique that allows a single player on the team to cause them to win every time?That in any series of probabilities, you're going to get runs one way or another, that if you flip enough coins you'll expect to get 5 heads or tails in a row? That because the Patriots were 10-0 in playoff games doesn't mean Tom Brady has a 100% chance to win any playoff game that he's in?Brady's a great player and the Patriots have a great team from top to bottom and a great coaching staff. It's disappointing people can't just accept them for what they are without having to try to single out single players for deification or being dragged through the muck.People who truly believed Brady couldn't lose were deluding themselves, the same as people who believe Manning can't win a Super Bowl are deluding themselves, the same as people who believed that Elway couldn't win a Super Bowl deluded themselves.

If Brady had played a typical Bradyesque game and lost, then this thread wouldn't exist.

But Brady wasn't his usual poised self yesterday.  He was just average.  He made mistakes, like a lot of playoff QBs do.

Nobody stays perfect forever.  But time will tell if Brady returns to form or continues a Favre-esque slide to mediocrity.
"Continues a Favre-esque slide to mediocrity"?????? You've got to be kidding me. He personally had one of his best seasons ever, has one bad game, and now he might be on a slide toward mediocrity. Get a life hater.
You know, tools come in all shapes and sizes.All I said was that time would tell. Favre seemed invincible after leading the Pack to 2 Super Bowls. But if you look at Favre today, he's a shell of his former self.

I have no idea what's in store for Brady. But if he keeps playing like he did yesterday, he will be compared to late-career-Favre and other QBs that came crashing down to earth.

If you think that honest assessments like that make someone a "hater", then please take off your Tom-goggles and tool belt.
Repeat after me.......It was one game.

Yes, you are a hater.

I'm amazed at the crap people try to post about Brady.
Almost as amazing as the amount of praise everyone else is willing to give Brady and not looking at the other factors (greatest coach in the history of the game, great offensive line, amazing defense, very underrated receivers that catch just about everything, etc.)

Almost as amazing as the amount of praise everyone else is willing to give Brady and not looking at the other factors (greatest coach in the history of the game, great offensive line, amazing defense, very underrated receivers that catch just about everything, etc.)
BSI'm not a Patriot fan or Brady fan. It is pathetic that after the Patriots first playoff loss that tools feel the need to try and tarnish his career.

Brady does deserve the praise he gets and if you think otherwise makes you a jealous hater. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
tarnish his career??  :lmao:
I guess you haven't read what the haters have been writing about Brady."But time will tell if Brady returns to form or continues a Favre-esque slide to mediocrity."

tarnish his career?? :lmao:
I guess you haven't read what the haters have been writing about Brady."But time will tell if Brady returns to form or continues a Favre-esque slide to mediocrity."
Come on, a couple haters on an internet message board aren't going to tarnish his career.

tarnish his career??  :lmao:
Come on, a couple haters on an internet message board aren't going to tarnish his career.
I realize that and that is what makes them pathetic.

BSI'm not a Patriot fan or Brady fan. It is pathetic that after the Patriots first playoff loss that tools feel the need to try and tarnish his career.

Brady does deserve the praise he gets and if you think otherwise makes you a jealous hater. :D
Geez, assume much? :rolleyes: The loss didn't tarnish his career but it's great for football that the team finally lost. Brings parity back to football and makes it "anyone's game" again.

Geez, assume much? :rolleyes: The loss didn't tarnish his career but it's great for football that the team finally lost. Brings parity back to football and makes it "anyone's game" again.
It's not hard to assume when you read a jealous hater. :D

I'm not jealous and the only thing I hate are the Pats fans and the Brady bootlickers.Geez, assume much? :rolleyes: The loss didn't tarnish his career but it's great for football that the team finally lost. Brings parity back to football and makes it "anyone's game" again.
I'm not jealous and the only thing I hate are Pats fans and Brady bootlickers.

I'm not jealous and the only thing I hate are the Pats fans and the Brady bootlickers.Geez, assume much? :rolleyes: The loss didn't tarnish his career but it's great for football that the team finally lost. Brings parity back to football and makes it "anyone's game" again.
I'm not jealous and the only thing I hate are Pats fans and Brady bootlickers.
I'm not fond of Pats fans either but Brady deserves the praise he has earned. Deal with it or seek therapy.

I have much more respect for Brady (if that's possible) after watching him in the post-game press conference. He was honest, articulate and polite. Class act all the way. Now as for Belicheck...

Brady's accomplishments are more a result of the efforts of his coach, then the ability of Tom Brandy. Send Tom to Denver or Indy he wouldn't last a year :banned:

Not surprised people are slamming Brady.

Let't face it, if it could go wrong, it went wrong for the Pats. Adam V missed, Brady choked on the goal line, Faulk and Troy, two of the most reliable guys, fumbled the ball. We got a couple bad calls against us, and Denver made the plays.

It happens. To be honest, I feel great about this team and it's future.
Was thinking the same thing about their future....come back healthy next year and make a run for it again...Miami is going to be better next year, so Brady will need to bring his A game to the AFC East next year. I don't think a Playoff lost will hurt him, but will show him he is human. He still has a lot of career ahead of him.http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr..._solomon_recap/

I have much more respect for Brady (if that's possible) after watching him in the post-game press conference. He was honest, articulate and polite. Class act all the way. Now as for Belicheck...
Compare and contrast with Manning's postgame comments today. :popcorn:

I'm not sure how anyone can say that it hasn't changed his image since he's been PERFECT in the playoffs until now. After finally losing, he's still great but doesn't seem unbeatable any longer.

I'm not sure how anyone can say that it hasn't changed his image since he's been PERFECT in the playoffs until now. After finally losing, he's still great but doesn't seem unbeatable any longer.
:goodposting: I'm a Pats fan, but Brady played a bad game on Saturday. It wasn't just the 2 interceptions, but he made a bunch of poor decisions throughout the game (that wild heave toward the endzone comes to mind).

I'm not saying it's a sign of things to come........at least, I hope it's not a sign of things to come. But the lustre is off, that's for sure. Other teams will now see him as beatable instead of invincable -- the intimidation factor has been reduced.

Still, he accepted the defeat with class. Hopefully this will just make him stronger.

Brady is still the best QB in the NFL. However, like every other QB who has played football, get pressure on him and knock him around a bit and he isn't the same. How is that surprising?

QBs tend to get too much credit or blame. I don't think he lost them the game per se although he didn't do enough to win it either.Certainly the Bailey interception was key and a potential 14 point swing. But, just as significant was the Faulk fumble. With less than 2 minutes to go in the half, NE had a overcome some poor field performance and held a 3-0 lead, had the ball, a first down and looking like they could add points before the half. Effectively, Denver was able to turn this into 10 points with the bogus interference call and another turnover on the kick-off. A huge swing that NE never recovered from.He threw for almost 350 yards. And the Pats spent a chunk of the game in horrible field position with conservative play calling. People will point out that yardage can be deceiving but I think NE's offense was able to move the ball well.Working against Brady?A hostile environment, with significant crowd noise and altitude which can affect the flight of the ball.The running game was subpar. A healthy (younger?) Dillon would have made Brady's life a little easier.Special teams were subpar. Two turnovers on special teams were a major factor in the flow/tempo of the game.Officiating was subpar. Don't want to go into this again but it played a part.Looked poor on some throws. Overthrew several (altitude?) and short-hopped a couple more. Credit the crowd noise and the Denver D. The Bailey interception, which was thrown off the back foot, after good pressure up the middle by the Broncos. Overall, not thrilled with the play selection near the goal line on that drive.An average game. I've seen the best QBs in the NFL have similar days under similar circumstances.

Brady obviously did not have a great game. No lustre has been lost for me. The guy is not a machine. I didnt expect that type of performance from him but he has come through too many times in the past for me to doubt his ability. There was just too much to overcome last night. The Pats will be back next year and this year only proves to me that they need to secure a top 2 seed to enhance their SB chances.I feel they missed a big opportunity Saturday night but considering the injuries they had, not a bad year in my opinion.

As a Pats fan, I'd say that yes, a touch of the luster has worn off, but that's bc up until now you were dealing with a pristine and mint record. You've got to chip it at some point.Anyway, in a way, the loss might almost help Brady's psyche. Anyone who saw the 60 Minutes interview knows that Brady craves challengs & motivation, and now he has in going into a season with buckets of ammo.

Chaz you can answer your own question. I dont know which team you are a fan of.But if you had the chance to switch your team's QB for Brady would you?Or what QBs would you pick before him?I saw Montana in his prime get annihilated by the Giants in a playoff game.One bad game does not a career make, you are judged by your body of work. Brady looked like crap against Miami in 2004-05, Pats still won the SB.Currently Brady's body of work would place him in the elite category.

Not surprised people are slamming Brady.

Let't face it, if it could go wrong, it went wrong for the Pats. Adam V missed, Brady choked on the goal line, Faulk and Troy, two of the most reliable guys, fumbled the ball. We got a couple bad calls against us, and Denver made the plays.

It happens. To be honest, I feel great about this team and it's future.
Faulk has had fumblitis for a while, and it's not like Adam V is automatic, even in big games. Remember, he missed his first two attempts against Carolina in the superbowl. Which makes it all the more ludicrous that people suggest he's the best big-game kicker of all time.
Belichick is the greatest coach in the history of the game? Even if Shanahan wins another SB this season?

it's not like Adam V is automatic, even in big games. Remember, he missed his first two attempts against Carolina in the superbowl. Which makes it all the more ludicrous that people suggest he's the best big-game kicker of all time.
I think he is often called the most clutch kicker of all-time, meaning he is money at the end of games, which is hard to argue with when you take into account his kick in the snow against Oakland and the two Super Bowl-winning kicks.

He handled himself fairly well in the post game press conference. However, I think it was a bit silly of him to say that he wished both teams would lose in the AFC Championship game--the implication being if the Pats can't win it all nobody should. Not a huge deal... just a bit of a childish response if you ask me.

As a Pats fan and obviously bigtime Brady backer, I actually love any kind of negative talk about the guy. Keep it coming...all it does is make the guy better. NE was going for 4 SBs in 5 years this year....next year, they'll have to settle for 4 in 6......that's a real STRUGGLER for ya.

Oh for Pete's sake. How does this tarnish Brady's image? NOBODY is perfect. He wasn't going to maintain an unbeaten streak in the PO forever. It's ridiculous to think that might have happened.He's still <30 years old, has 3 Super Bowl rings and a solid team behind him. Some years will turn out better than others. How he responds to this year will be the key. Adversity is an opportunity to get stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread