What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brady's value in dynasty league (1 Viewer)

Tornacl

Footballguy
Going into the offseason, what is his current value for a dynasty league.

For those who have him, what would it take to give him up?

For those who would want him, what would you be willing to give?

I think it warrants discussion, because its pretty unique to have a guy have one of the best seasons in NFL history, and then get hurt in the first half of the first game. With the success that Cassell has had, I don't think there's any doubt that he can come back and produce great numbers, but there are still rumors that his rehab is pretty far behind.

During the offseason and next year, there are going to be wide range of projections on him, I'm just curious as to where they are now.

Good question. This guy is definitely on my radar as a bargain buy. I would think he has value for a number of seasons. Definitely a high risk / high reward.

:thumbdown:

I own him a dynasty. Can't sell him as you won't get a decent value or return on him. Gotta let him play and see if he gets back to his old form.

I'm holding and expecting a great (not an 07) season next year.

I'd consider trading him for a good young QB and a stud RB/WR, but I'm not sure if that would be enough for him.

I'm a little biased but that being said Tom is an absolute stud in the prime of his career. Once he is fully healthy he will return to his status of hands down #1 player in the league. The players around him and system the Pats run will continue to help him put up monster numbers. Look at the numbers Cassel has put up in this system.

traded for him in my dynasty league about 6 weeks ago:

brady $41 and branch $26 for lee evans $42 and lamarr woodley $5

very happy to have made this trade. i dont expect 07 brady ever again, not even close. but 30 TDs would suit me just fine.

Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
I'd consider trading him for a good young QB and a stud RB/WR, but I'm not sure if that would be enough for him.
If thats what you are trying to get for him, you are not really considering trading him.
Depends on the format of the league, I guess. In a league where all TDs are worth 6 points, Brady is pretty awesome. Trading him for anything less would be pretty foolish IMO. When he's healthy, worst case he's considered a top 3 fantasy QB. There aren't too many players that I would even consider trading him straight up for, would you? And I wouldn't trade him for draft picks alone, obviously. I don't think you can trade someone like that for less than a guaranteed every-week starter, because that's exactly what you're giving up in Brady. Personally, I think that he would be worth something like Forte and Big Ben, or Jennings and Eli. If you already had another QB that you can roll with as a starter, then I think you should be able to get a lesser second player or a mid 1st round draft pick with him.I understand what you're saying, but when you're looking to make trades the goal is to improve your team, and if you get less than that for one of the best players in fantasy football, how are you going to improve your team? I wouldn't be looking to give him away, but I wouldn't take less.

Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
If thats what you are trying to get for him, you are not really considering trading him.
Depends on the format of the league, I guess. In a league where all TDs are worth 6 points, Brady is pretty awesome. Trading him for anything less would be pretty foolish IMO. When he's healthy, worst case he's considered a top 3 fantasy QB. There aren't too many players that I would even consider trading him straight up for, would you? And I wouldn't trade him for draft picks alone, obviously. I don't think you can trade someone like that for less than a guaranteed every-week starter, because that's exactly what you're giving up in Brady. Personally, I think that he would be worth something like Forte and Big Ben, or Jennings and Eli. If you already had another QB that you can roll with as a starter, then I think you should be able to get a lesser second player or a mid 1st round draft pick with him.I understand what you're saying, but when you're looking to make trades the goal is to improve your team, and if you get less than that for one of the best players in fantasy football, how are you going to improve your team? I wouldn't be looking to give him away, but I wouldn't take less.
If i owned Brady, i would trade him for Forte and think i got away with something. Also, assuming i was doing an initial dynasty draft, i would take Jennings before Brady. If you can get something more than that for him, take it and take it quicky. However, even without knowing anything about your league, i can tell you, you wont.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want a lot in return for him, probably too much, especially now that I sat on him all year while he was injured. I fully expect him to return to form next year and be one of the best players in fantasy football (and the NFL). He pretty much singlehandedly won several games for me last year and I don't see any benefit from trading him unless I am getting a ton in return. IMO he is the kind of player you keep and build your team around, not trade away.

I want a lot in return for him, probably too much, especially now that I sat on him all year while he was injured. I fully expect him to return to form next year and be one of the best players in fantasy football (and the NFL). He pretty much singlehandedly won several games for me last year and I don't see any benefit from trading him unless I am getting a ton in return. IMO he is the kind of player you keep and build your team around, not trade away.
Brady scares me as i am not sure he will be 100% next year, and too much of his value is dependant on Randy Moss. He has only had one big season, and i dont think he is as much as a sure thing as you are making him out to be. Like i said, if i could turn him into a stud RB, i would take it in a second, especially considering the supply and demand of QB's compared to RB's.

Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
If i owned Brady, i would trade him for Forte and think i got away with something. Also, assuming i was doing an initial dynasty draft, i would take Jennings before Brady. If you can get something more than that for him, take it and take it quicky. However, even without knowing anything about your league, i can tell you, you wont.
But would the same have been true last off-season? Sure he got hurt and probably won't be anywhere near 50 TDs again, but after seeing what Cassell did this year, its pretty hard to make the argument that he's not going to be a stud once he's recovered from the injury. I haven't seen any dynasty initial draft results (or mocks) in a long time, so I have no idea where he'd fall now, but I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't last much into the second round of a 12 team draft. But IMO dynasty values change somewhat once the league is established, because the comparison to what's available becomes a factor. QBs last much longer than RBs and they take a lot longer to develop, so once you've got a great one, you're set for a long time, making their value go up. Maybe that's just how I look at it, but if you're in a dynasty league right now, ask the Brady owner if he'd take Jennings or Forte (or similar guys to them), and I doubt that he would.

Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
But would the same have been true last off-season? Sure he got hurt and probably won't be anywhere near 50 TDs again, but after seeing what Cassell did this year, its pretty hard to make the argument that he's not going to be a stud once he's recovered from the injury. I haven't seen any dynasty initial draft results (or mocks) in a long time, so I have no idea where he'd fall now, but I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't last much into the second round of a 12 team draft. But IMO dynasty values change somewhat once the league is established, because the comparison to what's available becomes a factor. QBs last much longer than RBs and they take a lot longer to develop, so once you've got a great one, you're set for a long time, making their value go up. Maybe that's just how I look at it, but if you're in a dynasty league right now, ask the Brady owner if he'd take Jennings or Forte (or similar guys to them), and I doubt that he would.
I bet most would take Jennings for him, but i know everyone would take Forte. Thats my dynasty leagues, but they are also 6 pt TD passes. Ask the Forte owner in your league if he would take Brady for Forte, i bet he wouldnt.

Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
I bet most would take Jennings for him, but i know everyone would take Forte. Thats my dynasty leagues, but they are also 6 pt TD passes. Ask the Forte owner in your league if he would take Brady for Forte, i bet he wouldnt.
Ironically, the Forte owner in my first dynasty league traded Brady for McNabb and a draft pick during the first season of the league (now in our fourth year), so any mention of Brady usually goes poorly.

Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
Ironically, the Forte owner in my first dynasty league traded Brady for McNabb and a draft pick during the first season of the league (now in our fourth year), so any mention of Brady usually goes poorly.
He is surely bitter from trading him before he threw 50 TD's. Who did he get with the rookie pick?

Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
He is surely bitter from trading him before he threw 50 TD's. Who did he get with the rookie pick?
Vince Young

Tornacl said:
How about Schaub and Bowe or Jacobs?

Tornacl said:
Yeah, something like that. (Personally, I would be much more inclined to take Schaub/Bowe than Schaub/Jacobs, because Bowe should be one of the best WRs for years to come, while Jacobs may not have a really long career - my opinion based on his injury history and running style.) I would think that a trade along those lines could benefit both teams, and I would think that Brady should get at least that much in a trade.How about Brady for Matt Ryan and a draft pick? How high would the draft pick have to be? This year, I wouldn't do it for less than pick 1.4.

Tornacl said:
Yeah, something like that. (Personally, I would be much more inclined to take Schaub/Bowe than Schaub/Jacobs, because Bowe should be one of the best WRs for years to come, while Jacobs may not have a really long career - my opinion based on his injury history and running style.) I would think that a trade along those lines could benefit both teams, and I would think that Brady should get at least that much in a trade.How about Brady for Matt Ryan and a draft pick? How high would the draft pick have to be? This year, I wouldn't do it for less than pick 1.4.
I own Ryan in two leagues, and i wouldnt trade him for Brady straight up.

Tornacl said:
Its pretty clear from your comments that you're not very high on Brady. I don't see any way (other than injury) that Ryan out performs Brady over the next 3 or 4 seasons. Its pretty difficult to look past that time frame for me.

Tornacl said:
Its pretty clear from your comments that you're not very high on Brady. I don't see any way (other than injury) that Ryan out performs Brady over the next 3 or 4 seasons. Its pretty difficult to look past that time frame for me.
No doubt i am not Brady's biggest fan, particularly from a fantasy perspective. Either way, I wouldnt trade the best rookie QB to come out maybe ever for a 32 year old QB coming off a badly torn ACL who has only thrown more than 28 TD passes once in his career.I understand most would prefer Brady, but i doubt many would include a top 3 rookie pick along with Ryan for Brady.I would love to hear some other Ryan owners chime in here. What would you give in adition to Ryan for Brady?

Tornacl said:
No doubt i am not Brady's biggest fan, particularly from a fantasy perspective. Either way, I wouldnt trade the best rookie QB to come out maybe ever for a 32 year old QB coming off a badly torn ACL who has only thrown more than 28 TD passes once in his career.I understand most would prefer Brady, but i doubt many would include a top 3 rookie pick along with Ryan for Brady.I would love to hear some other Ryan owners chime in here. What would you give in adition to Ryan for Brady?
And maybe asking for a high first rounder in addition to Ryan is asking too much. It really depends on a lot of factors. As the saying goes in real estate, your house is worth what someone is willing to pay. Well, the same is true in fantasy football. I have no idea what the consensus is on Brady's worth. That's why I started the thread. His is a pretty unique situation, and there are bound to be a wide range of opinions on his value. I'd like to hear what more people have to say.

Tornacl said:
And maybe asking for a high first rounder in addition to Ryan is asking too much. It really depends on a lot of factors. As the saying goes in real estate, your house is worth what someone is willing to pay. Well, the same is true in fantasy football. I have no idea what the consensus is on Brady's worth. That's why I started the thread. His is a pretty unique situation, and there are bound to be a wide range of opinions on his value. I'd like to hear what more people have to say.
I think his value will go up the closer we get to next season, so it might be in your best interest to hold onto him for now. I am wondering though, if you think that highly of him why are you trying to trade him?

I picked him up a month ago and may franchise him. We can keep 1 franchise player. If NE commits to solidifying their OL and maybe adding a WR then I will probably keep him. I am hoping NE drops their last 2 games to improve their schedule for '09.

Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
3nOut said:
I think his value will go up the closer we get to next season, so it might be in your best interest to hold onto him for now. I am wondering though, if you think that highly of him why are you trying to trade him?
For three reasons: 1) I just took over a dynasty team that is not competitive for at least two years. The team has no 1st round pick this year (would have had 1.3), and trading Brady could overall improve my team, if I get enough in return for him.2) Since taking over the team about a week ago, there have been three different owners expressing an interest in him. If I play it right, I can leverage the demand to get more for him.3) I personally can't stand the guy. I won't have a problem keeping him if no one is willing to give up what I feel he's worth, but if they are willing to pay up, then I'd rather root for other people.

I'm a biased Cassell owner, and while I don't wish ill on any injured player, obviously for my dynasty team I hope that Brady is done. I agree with the previously made statement that Brady's value in the near term will be the highest if/when he starts playing some exhibition games and shows that he has recovered from the injury. I don't think I would trade for Brady unless I had a capable backup QB incase his recovery doesn't work out.

Christopher

Good thread as I was wondering what Brady's value is right now and whether he is worth trading at this point.

I guess I am lucky enough to have both Brady and Ryan in my dynasty league. Not sure what it would take to give up either of them at this point, although at a minimum a high 1st rounder this year and a 1st next year as well for Brady. Probably also another player at another position who would be startable week in week out.

That might be a bit much, but that is probably what it would take for me to unleash him. I would hate the prospect of giving him up to next year's League Champion!! Especially since my team is pretty good to begin with. If I lost to that team knowing that I could've had him on my team that would be pretty hard to take.

I traded him midseason for Larry Fitzgerald in a Super Flex league (can start a 2nd QB). I have PManning, Garrard, Pennington and Culpepper at QB. It is a PPR league so I thought that Fitz would make my team stronger as I can rotate a decent 2nd QB at Super Flex most weeks.

Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
3nOut said:
For three reasons: 1) I just took over a dynasty team that is not competitive for at least two years. The team has no 1st round pick this year (would have had 1.3), and trading Brady could overall improve my team, if I get enough in return for him.2) Since taking over the team about a week ago, there have been three different owners expressing an interest in him. If I play it right, I can leverage the demand to get more for him.3) I personally can't stand the guy. I won't have a problem keeping him if no one is willing to give up what I feel he's worth, but if they are willing to pay up, then I'd rather root for other people.
I could be mistaken, but my guess would be three owners contacted you in an attempt to get Brady for cheap from a new owner. Has any of the three ownrs made an official offer? My guess is you will see a couple low ball offers, but nobody is going to pay what you are looking for, especially right now.

Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
Burning Sensation said:
Tornacl said:
3nOut said:
I could be mistaken, but my guess would be three owners contacted you in an attempt to get Brady for cheap from a new owner. Has any of the three ownrs made an official offer? My guess is you will see a couple low ball offers, but nobody is going to pay what you are looking for, especially right now.
I think you're probably right about them going after the new fish. The league has a trade deadline, so currently no one can make any official offers, so none have come in yet. Initially, I expect the offers to be pretty low-ball, but if they want him bad enough, the offers will improve. I have no problem letting all three of them know that there is a 3-way bidding war going on, to try and use that to my advantage. One of the teams interested is obviously thinking that he's in a position to compete next year, and Brady would definitely make his a team to be reckoned with.As I see it, at the very least, I end up with Brady as my starting QB, which isn't a bad position to be in. If someone blows me away with an offer, I'll trade him. If not, I'll keep him. I do agree that trading him right now might not be the best idea, because his value is probably as low as it will be for a while.

Curious to see what the current mood is on Brady.
I am still hopeful he is back by camp and starts week one.
Im pretty confident that happens. Recently traded Aaron Rodgers and WR Malcom Kelly for Brady in a dynasty league. I have Cassel to go along with brady but am hoping I end up with 2 starting qb's.
You absolutely fleeced whoever traded you Brady for Rodgers and Kelly. Brady just said that he wants to play something like another 8 or 9 years (I forget the exact number). He'll be fine, and you got an established stud for a song. Congrats on a great trade.

Im pretty confident that happens. Recently traded Aaron Rodgers and WR Malcom Kelly for Brady in a dynasty league. I have Cassel to go along with brady but am hoping I end up with 2 starting qb's.
You absolutely fleeced whoever traded you Brady for Rodgers and Kelly. Brady just said that he wants to play something like another 8 or 9 years (I forget the exact number). He'll be fine, and you got an established stud for a song. Congrats on a great trade.
Rodgers must not be a top 5 fantasy QB. :lmao:

No doubt i am not Brady's biggest fan, particularly from a fantasy perspective. Either way, I wouldnt trade the best rookie QB to come out maybe ever for a 32 year old QB coming off a badly torn ACL who has only thrown more than 28 TD passes once in his career.I understand most would prefer Brady, but i doubt many would include a top 3 rookie pick along with Ryan for Brady.

I would love to hear some other Ryan owners chime in here. What would you give in adition to Ryan for Brady?
seems about right to me

I traded Cassel and 1.02 for Brady. May have given up too much, but I don't think there's great talent in this year's draft, and I'm not sold on Cassel's future.

Rodgers must not be a top 5 fantasy QB. :jawdrop:
Oh, he is.

Received an offer of Eli Manning, DeAngelo Williams, and Malcolm Kelly for Brady. Still thinking about it.

Received an offer of Eli Manning, DeAngelo Williams, and Malcolm Kelly for Brady. Still thinking about it.
I think i would take that in a heartbeat
Thats a great offer for you, I hope you have a decent option besides Eli for QB
Williams is a nice piece there.The question about Brady is interesting not just in Dynasty, but keeper leagues. Is he worth keeping in a 4-5 man keeper league? There have been talks that Brady won't be ready until mid season, but nothing is substantiated. Cassel being franchised shows that NE would like to wait a little longer to find out what is going on with Brady. They could also then trade Cassel and the Jets would be one of the most interested, but being in division that would be unlikely.

Williams is a nice piece there.The question about Brady is interesting not just in Dynasty, but keeper leagues. Is he worth keeping in a 4-5 man keeper league? There have been talks that Brady won't be ready until mid season, but nothing is substantiated. Cassel being franchised shows that NE would like to wait a little longer to find out what is going on with Brady. They could also then trade Cassel and the Jets would be one of the most interested, but being in division that would be unlikely.
imo they just want to get something more than the conditional 3rd rounder for just letting him walk and they get to have a little control where he goes. as for the 4-5 keepers you would have to have a pretty deep team to not keep brady (which is possible).

There have been talks that Brady won't be ready until mid season, but nothing is substantiated. Cassel being franchised shows that NE would like to wait a little longer to find out what is going on with Brady.
Reports that Brady won't be ready to start the season are rumors. Everything that has come directly from the Patriots has indicated that his rehab is going very well. Cassel being franchised would have happened no matter what Brady's prognosis was, so don't read anything into that.

I had initially sent this offer to the other owner, but I pulled it back when I started getting interest for Brady from two other owners. The first owner sent the offer back, and the other owners didn't want to make any serious offers, so I took this one. My starting QB is now Aaron Rodgers. I wanted to get a solid backup who I knew would be around for a long time. Eli may never be a fantasy stud, but he'll be playing in the NFL for a long time. I was targeting guys like Eli and Big Ben as part of the deal and it worked out. I didn't want to get a backup like Garrard or Campbell, because you never know how long they'll be around - could be a long time or it could be only a season or two more.DeAngelo Williams was the big prize. I don't expect him to score 20 tds again, but he should be a solid back for a long time. Williams will replace Grant in my starting lineup. I really liked him coming out of college, and was surprised it took him so long to develop, so there is some risk here. As long as he continues to produce, he's had a pretty light number of carries in the NFL.I also like Kelly as a project guy. May not amount to much, but I'd rather have a guy like that than an old guy like Toomer.

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been talks that Brady won't be ready until mid season, but nothing is substantiated. Cassel being franchised shows that NE would like to wait a little longer to find out what is going on with Brady.
Reports that Brady won't be ready to start the season are rumors. Everything that has come directly from the Patriots has indicated that his rehab is going very well. Cassel being franchised would have happened no matter what Brady's prognosis was, so don't read anything into that.
Thanks, I was curious about that

I recently did a Replacement Owners Draft in a dynastly league and ended up with Brady and Ryan. From my position even if Brady struggles this season which he may, he is worth holding onto because he is sure to be back to prime within 2 seasons, and if you traded him now, or this season you will be kicking yourself in the #### for seasons to come.

Users who are viewing this thread