What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Branden Oliver (1 Viewer)

Got offered Harvin for BO in one dynasty league today. Probably gonna turn that down.

Wouldn't have said that two months ago.

:towelwave:

Thoughts on Oliver this week? Denver doesn't give up many fantasy points to the RB but who else is gonna run it in SD? Plus you figure they'll get some screen plays in to the offense this week.

I say keep him in the lineup.

Thoughts on Oliver this week? Denver doesn't give up many fantasy points to the RB but who else is gonna run it in SD? Plus you figure they'll get some screen plays in to the offense this week.

I'm rolling with him. He can play on all downs so he should be safe to stay in.

Playing him over Vereen. Not really even debating it.

May be tough sledding on the ground but there should be ample receiving opportunities, especially if the Broncos are playing from the front and forcing SD to throw a lot.

Week 1: Bradshaw/Richardson 8 receptions

Week 2: Davis 6 receptions

Week 3: Lynch 3 receptions/receiving TD

Week 5: Ellington 4 receptions/receiving TD

Week 6: Ivory/Johnson 2 receptions

Week 7: Hyde/Ellington 5 receptions

That's at least 4 receptions or a TD by a RB in every game but one. The teams that utilize RBs more in the passing game (like Indy, KC and Arizona) all had productive days for RBs in the passing game. I don't think it's unrealistic to think Oliver could catch 4+ passes tomorrow night.

That's a bad mistake...

That's a bad mistake...
I don;t know if it;s a bad mistake, but I could go either way on it. I remember reading that and thinking, "I can see starting him, but I can't see not debating it. That's a tough call, not a slam dunk."

lol...I have them both on my "sell-high" list.

I'd probably roll with Vereen this week, though. Why start an RB who might catch 4 passes, when you can start one that is all but certain to catch four passes, and have an easier time running the ball?

Seems like a no-brainer to go with Vereen.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd probably roll with Vereen this week, though. Why start an RB who might catch 4 passes, when you can start one that is all but certain to catch four passes, and have an easier time running the ball?

This lifelong Pats fan knows enough about BB/McD's ways to prefer the RB who is guaranteed 20-25 touches. :)

Brown out for his third week in a row, pretty fishy... Sounds more like he's been benched with injury as an excuse.
Couldn't they bench him, but still want him as depth? I'm pretty sure he or his agent would be complaining publically if he already passed through the concussion protocol yet the team was acting as if he was still injured.

Honestly I doubt he's a real threat to Oliver at this point anyway, but he's better than Ronnie Brown, at 31, at least.

Having trouble swing BW starting Oliver in a tough matchup tonight or ingram in a good matchup Sunday. I'm sure this will torture me all day until game time. Lol.

Having trouble swing BW starting Oliver in a tough matchup tonight or ingram in a good matchup Sunday. I'm sure this will torture me all day until game time. Lol.
Tough matchup on a short week. If you have better options, they are definitely worth considering. That said, he's a three down back and gets GL. It all depends if you think SD will hang with DEN so they can keep running the ball. I think Oliver has a good game tonight. I'd start him over Ingram. I don't think Ingram is a better option this week.

Brown out for his third week in a row, pretty fishy... Sounds more like he's been benched with injury as an excuse.
This. If there's two things that routinely amaze me about the NFL it's 1) How coaches "protect" player's egos about being benched with "injury" excuses, and 2) How much stock coaches put into their injury report gamesmanship especially in cases where any savvy fantasy football player can see right through it. I mean if we can see through it, you know an NFL-level coach can too.

This lifelong Pats fan knows enough about BB/McD's ways to prefer the RB who is guaranteed 20-25 touches. :)
Oliver won't be getting anywhere near 25 touches tonight unless the Chargers are playing with the lead. I would guess he'll be in the 10-12 carry range, and 3-5 receptions range....at best. And half those carrys will come in the 1st & 2nd drives when the Chargers are still trying to execute their game plan of "control the clock & keep Peyton off the field". Problem is, every team has tried it, and Denver has stuffed the run.

prognosis for Oliver tonight: 9 carries for 34 yards, 5 catches for 41 yards, 0 Tds. Flex play in a PPR at best.

He hasn't even started running yet, calm down.
thats mathews.

A 3 week concussion sounds like a doosy. Maybe a career ender?
it is a short week. its possible he would have been cleared for a Sunday game. He's not good enough to worry Oliver owners too much anyway though. Mathews is the one landmine on the horizon.

Oliver won't be getting anywhere near 25 touches tonight unless the Chargers are playing with the lead. I would guess he'll be in the 10-12 carry range, and 3-5 receptions range....at best. And half those carrys will come in the 1st & 2nd drives when the Chargers are still trying to execute their game plan of "control the clock & keep Peyton off the field". Problem is, every team has tried it, and Denver has stuffed the run.

prognosis for Oliver tonight: 9 carries for 34 yards, 5 catches for 41 yards, 0 Tds. Flex play in a PPR at best.
Last year Mathews had 29 carries in Denver, 7 in the 1st quarter when they were down 3-10

SD has played Denver close the last 2 years and historically does well vs. Manning. Last season they rushed for 130 & 170 yards against them. I know last year was last year, but this is more a fade of Vereen than a pro-Oliver play.

Sitting him for Joique against the Falcons. Hedging my bet this week. My opponent has the Broncos def going so if Oliver goes off, he's still helping my cause. If not, I made the right call.

Starting him. It's either him or Ivory, who despite having a big week last Thursday is going up against the Bills stiff run D.

Plus I have Rivers, so I like the idea of having essentially all of the Chargers production. Hopefully they're playing catchup all game and pad those stats.

Been offered Oliver as part of a trade. Does he maintain a substantial workload once Mathews returns? Or does he go back to being borderline usable?

The O line is missing MAJOR pieces to a keep away plan like last year. BO will get some but not all of what he is.

I would guess he'll be in the 10-12 carry range, and 3-5 receptions range....at best.
So are you predicting 13-15 touches? If so I'll take the Over.
Me too. I think the Chargers are going to use the run game to try to keep Manning on the bench.
As a Chargers fan, I would like them to come out firing early, which would be unexpected. If they could successfully pass early and often, it could set up the run to be successful later in the game.

I just don't think they are likely to be successful enough early to keep up with Denver's offense if their game plan is run heavy from the start.

Lots of guys bringing up the success of last years matchup but isn't the Denver Run D much better this year?
The Denver D as a whole is much better than last season. The front is much stronger and they generate pressure without a lot of blitzing which makes their secondary more aggressive. Just some observations,I'm not a Bronco fan or homey.

Bojang0301 said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Bojang0301 said:
chinawildman said:
He hasn't even started running yet, calm down.
thats mathews.

A 3 week concussion sounds like a doosy. Maybe a career ender?
My bad... I'm not even worried about Brown's return. I think there will be a split when Matthews gets back though.
Probably, but Matthews is in a contract year. They may keep Oliver going to make sure they know what they have before they low ball Matthews and let him walk.

Right now (and it's possible I'll still change my mind), I'm starting Oliver over Eddie Lacy this week. Lacy has a matchup against the Saints that looks better on paper, but Starks is getting a lot more carries and is used more in the passing game. Oliver on the other hand is a three down back and even if he struggles to run the ball, I wouldn't be shocked to see heavy usage in the run game. While Denver has done a good job shutting down RBs for the most part on the ground, they are allowing a lot in the screen game. Ellington had over 100 yards receiving, Bradshaw had 70, etc.

I really think that San Diego will see the error of their ways from last week. They were pass heavy early in the game and as a result, the defense was getting gassed thanks to short drives and long drives by KC. As soon as they started running more, they got back in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now (and it's possible I'll still change my mind), I'm starting Oliver over Eddie Lacy this week. Lacy has a matchup against the Saints that looks better on paper, but Starks is getting a lot more carries and is used more in the passing game. Oliver on the other hand is a three down back and even if he struggles to run the ball, I wouldn't be shocked to see heavy usage in the run game. While Denver has done a good job shutting down RBs for the most part on the ground, they are allowing a lot in the screen game. Ellington had over 100 yards receiving, Bradshaw had 70, etc.

I really think that San Diego will see the error of their ways from last week. They were pass heavy early in the game and as a result, the defense was getting gassed thanks to short drives and long drives by KC. As soon as they started running more, they got back in the game.
you are nuts NOT to use Lacy in a game with a 56 o/u, 1.5 pt spread..Oliver isnt even a factor compared to Lacy, who, by the way, is just getting warmed up as they say..he's going to be a beast!

In a vacuum I like Oliver much more than Lacy. Whatever that's worth.
Goes to show the fluidity of this game.

I happened to do a trade a few weeks ago, I gave up Lacy and others, he gave up Ball and others. Now, a guy no one (well, almost no one) had ever heard of a month ago is arguably better than both, and certainly ball.

In a vacuum I like Oliver much more than Lacy. Whatever that's worth.
Goes to show the fluidity of this game.

I happened to do a trade a few weeks ago, I gave up Lacy and others, he gave up Ball and others. Now, a guy no one (well, almost no one) had ever heard of a month ago is arguably better than both, and certainly ball.
I think he's really good and has a carved a sizable role out for himself going forward.

Users who are viewing this thread