What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall Signs with Giants (5 Viewers)

So there have been some conversations between the Jets and the Bears. No one thinks the Jets asked the Bears what they want for Cutler?

For those wondering what geno had to work with, it was not much. having a run heavy coach with a bad OC was not helpful, two players in two years with over 40 catches. i still dont think geno is the answer but marshall should be helpful as a legit #1 option.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2013.htm(Kerley, Nelson and Hill)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2014.htm(Decker, Kerley and Harvin for half season)
Wouldn't having a run-heavy coach actually make it easier to pass, since defenses were obviously playing to stop the run, leaving WRs in man coverage>
When a WR can't get open against man coverage it won't matter.

Decker was actually decent last year, but somehow the OC was only able to target him 113 times. That is just plain awful game planning. The O needed a new coordinator and new pieces. Good start.

Jets need to get Spiller and this offense might be decent

once they get a QB. I think a 2nd for Cousins makes sense ;)

Not to get too far off topic, but the Jets are clearly trying to upgrade their offense and many say the Jets take Mariotta at 6 or that is the place the Eagles trade up to get him at 6. This could be so FASCINATING on draft day with the Redskins at 5. The skins should trade back and get more picks. If anyone else wants to move up for Mariotta (especially someone not as far back as 20 like the Eagles), then the Skins have quite a bit of leverage.

Should the skins trade to anyone just to get some more picks and make sure the Eagles don't get Mariotta? Can they get even more from the Eagles than the Jets could so that the Jets can't simply take Mariotta themselves? Fascinating stuff really...glad the draft is in primetime.

>> Back to Marshall talk...
Too bad the draft isn't still in New York. That would've made for some high drama and a lot of booing.

I believe denver got 2 seconds for him --- chicago got a 5th

you guys can go ahead and start ripping foxy like you were mcd

wonder if fox will get 2 firsts for cutty

buy low on marshall and decker. something is brewing in NY.

Why? Is a good QB going to magically appear or do you think Gino can make a big jump?
Nick Foles seems like a likely candidate in a draft day trade for the Jets #6 overall pick.
Except Foles isn't worth the #6 pick.
No but he could be part of a package to move up

Ithink mariota goes at 2 to someone maybe not Tennessee
If the Jets want a Franchise QB they wouldn't answer the phone if a team called who would want their guy

Jets fans need to pray for a good QB or yes, there will be more murder in the NY/NJ area...starting in your locker room. ;)

Can't land in a worse spot. This won't end well.

- Marshall owner.
Oakland, Cleveland, Buffalo and Tennessee all seem worse?
I would take Oak and Carr over NY and Gino 100 times out of 100
I would as well and I'd also take Cleveland over the Jets-due in large part to McCown and lack of comp for targets.

But I do consider Buffalo, Tennessee as worse. I also view Seattle as worse. Plenty of other teams I view about the same as Jets. So a poor landing spot but could have been worse or as bad in a lot of other spots.

No matter what anyone who owned Marshall had to know things were going to get worse than Cutler throwing to him in a pass first offense on a team that is usually trailing. The good news? He should still be better than he was last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
since it is so depressing in here and this seems to be a down crowd. does anyone think this is the type of elite wr that geno needed? geno stinks but good players make bad players better. marshall is more physical than decker is a supreme route runner and is still a play maker. he had bad ankles and a punctured lung and a bad QB situation just like any work place animosity effects the result and cutler did not get along with the coaching staff. if we are talking value in the big picture does it really take such a hit. cutlers marginal success was because of marshall for most year now maybe marshall can help geno out. im not a marshall owner im just a jets fan.

I hope they actually know something:

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk · 1h 1 hour ago
Is the trade for WR Brandon Marshall a precursor to a trade by the Jets for QB Jay Cutler?
I certainly hope so. John Fox has no use for Cutler, he's a low scoring, lets play D kinda coach. That would certainly save the day.
You in one sentence about fox said exactly why not being in chicago and going anywere else including nyj helps marshall fantasy wise.

football wise its great for nyj and i dont see how anyone can think this is a bad move for them i hope no one does.

Is the trade for WR Brandon Marshall a precursor to a trade by the Jets for QB Jay Cutler?
I certainly hope so. John Fox has no use for Cutler, he's a low scoring, lets play D kinda coach. That would certainly save the day.
You in one sentence about fox said exactly why not being in chicago and going anywere else including nyj helps marshall fantasy wise.

football wise its great for nyj and i dont see how anyone can think this is a bad move for them i hope no one does.
It's good that he is away from Fox but this is the worst landing spot for FF owners of Marshall. Geno Stinks and he goes against Belicheck twice. IF Revis is there, look for nothing out of Marshall vs NE.

since it is so depressing in here and this seems to be a down crowd. does anyone think this is the type of elite wr that geno needed? geno stinks but good players make bad players better. marshall is more physical than decker is a supreme route runner and is still a play maker. he had bad ankles and a punctured lung and a bad QB situation just like any work place animosity effects the result and cutler did not get along with the coaching staff. if we are talking value in the big picture does it really take such a hit. cutlers marginal success was because of marshall for most year now maybe marshall can help geno out. im not a marshall owner im just a jets fan.
SWC?

If the Jets were interested in Cutler, why wouldn't they have just discussed adding him in the Marshall deal? Why would two teams making a trade today be a precursor to the same two teams making another trade?

i think its still funny people assume harvin is staying. that is a sure sign that someone really dont understand what is going on.
If he is cheap, I would love to see him on the Panthers for a season or 2. But he aint going to be cheap
Now is a good time to buy Harvin at a discount. I highly doubt he stays in NY at that salary and he won't restructure to stay there. The deadline for them to make a move is March 19 based on draft pick compensation. Anywhere he signs as a FA will be an upgrade over what he has now and NE would be amazing for him.

If the Jets were interested in Cutler, why wouldn't they have just discussed adding him in the Marshall deal? Why would two teams making a trade today be a precursor to the same two teams making another trade?
Only thing I can think of is that they have other teams in the hunt for him.

This the Bears would have probably given the Jets Marshall to take Cutler. No one is trading for him most likely cut IMO

Not to get too far off topic, but the Jets are clearly trying to upgrade their offense and many say the Jets take Mariotta at 6 or that is the place the Eagles trade up to get him at 6. This could be so FASCINATING on draft day with the Redskins at 5. The skins should trade back and get more picks. If anyone else wants to move up for Mariotta (especially someone not as far back as 20 like the Eagles), then the Skins have quite a bit of leverage.

Should the skins trade to anyone just to get some more picks and make sure the Eagles don't get Mariotta? Can they get even more from the Eagles than the Jets could so that the Jets can't simply take Mariotta themselves? Fascinating stuff really...glad the draft is in primetime.

I was thinking the exact same thing. The football gods might be doing the Skins a favor, maybe feeling pity for them after the RG3 trade since Robert hasn't been the same since that injury. It would be awesome for them to get a boatload of picks for that 1.5. Crossing fingers as a life long Skins fan.
Why are people assuming the Titans don't work a deal if there's one to be had?

So there have been some conversations between the Jets and the Bears. No one thinks the Jets asked the Bears what they want for Cutler?
First thought we had here. Seems they like to follow each other.

Steve Rosenbloom, Chicago Tribune:

I don’t care if Ryan Pace traded Brandon Marshall to the Jets for nothing more than a kiss from Joe Namath, that would be enough. Dumping Marshall was the point. Clearing his heavy baggage and divisive ways out of Halas Hall was the entire goal.

That the Bears rookie general manager reportedly got a mid-round draft pick in return for the embarrassing wide receiver is just a straight pantsing.

Give Pace a raise. Extend his contract. I don’t care that he just got here. Do you realize what he just did? Pace found a team stupid enough to give up something for a player the Bears were going to cut next week.

What’s more, the market is flooded with wide receivers, and this draft is stocked with them --- but yet Pace got something for Marshall that is more than just saving cash and salary cap space.

No wonder the Jets stink as a franchise. It’s like they hijacked Phil Emery’s stupid gas. Marshall has become more uncoachable and intolerable each year he has been a Bear. He is over 30, coming off injury, proven less productive, and has aliented half of Halas Hall, if not more. It got to the point that the coach couldn’t say Marshall ran the wrong pattern for fear that the wideout would spontaneously combust or something.

Marshsall was all kinds of loud, fake leadership. He has never been to the playoffs in his NFL career, and now he’s bringing his laughable act to one of the few teams last year’s horrible Bears were able too beat. Good luck with that.

The deal won’t be official until the league year begins Tuesday afternoon. The deal also cannot be official until Marshall passes a physical. Pray, Bears fans, that the Jets doctors are as lame as the front office.

If this goes through, Bears fans, you have every right to dream of big things under Pace. He knew Marshall was a bad actor who needed excising. He saw what a loser the guy is in a locker room setting.

Pace pretty much told everybody what he thought of Marshall when he said a team’s best players have to be its best leaders and that football has to be Priority No. 1.

Marshall is on record as saying that winning a Super Bowl is not his priority. Using the NFL as a platform for his causes is his priority. Some leader, huh?

Marshall also wants to continue appearing on “Inside the NFL,’’ and now he’ll be closer to the studio while remaining just as far from being a winner.

Friday became a great day for Pace the Bears. Now, double down, Ryan. See if the Jets are dumb enough to trade for Cutler.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-marshall-bears-jets-rosenbloom-20150306-column.html

Maybe the Bears told the Jets that they were going to cut Cutler? Jets bite on Marshall to get a jump on Cutler.

Too bad the draft isn't still in New York. That would've made for some high drama and a lot of booing.
It's in CHICAGO. DOn't worry, there will be booing.

Marshall is on record as saying that winning a Super Bowl is not his priority. Using the NFL as a platform for his causes is his priority. Some leader, huh?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-marshall-bears-jets-rosenbloom-20150306-column.html
:shrug: maybe BM realizes some things are more important than football, while still giving his best effort.

NY provides a nice outlet.

Why are people assuming the Titans don't work a deal if there's one to be had?
I think the Titans grab Williams.
Probably. But if there's a sweet deal on the table like they're talking about with Washington, they will probably drop down.

It's in CHICAGO. DOn't worry, there will be booing.
Oh I know they'll be enough booing, I just meant with Jets fans thinking their taking Mariota at 6 and someone like the Eagles trading to 5 and grabbing him right before their pick. Radio City might have burned to the ground.

I don’t care if Ryan Pace traded Brandon Marshall to the Jets for nothing more than a kiss from Joe Namath, that would be enough. Dumping Marshall was the point. Clearing his heavy baggage and divisive ways out of Halas Hall was the entire goal.

That the Bears rookie general manager reportedly got a mid-round draft pick in return for the embarrassing wide receiver is just a straight pantsing.

Give Pace a raise. Extend his contract. I don’t care that he just got here. Do you realize what he just did? Pace found a team stupid enough to give up something for a player the Bears were going to cut next week.

What’s more, the market is flooded with wide receivers, and this draft is stocked with them --- but yet Pace got something for Marshall that is more than just saving cash and salary cap space.

No wonder the Jets stink as a franchise. It’s like they hijacked Phil Emery’s stupid gas. Marshall has become more uncoachable and intolerable each year he has been a Bear. He is over 30, coming off injury, proven less productive, and has aliented half of Halas Hall, if not more. It got to the point that the coach couldn’t say Marshall ran the wrong pattern for fear that the wideout would spontaneously combust or something.

Marshsall was all kinds of loud, fake leadership. He has never been to the playoffs in his NFL career, and now he’s bringing his laughable act to one of the few teams last year’s horrible Bears were able too beat. Good luck with that.

The deal won’t be official until the league year begins Tuesday afternoon. The deal also cannot be official until Marshall passes a physical. Pray, Bears fans, that the Jets doctors are as lame as the front office.

If this goes through, Bears fans, you have every right to dream of big things under Pace. He knew Marshall was a bad actor who needed excising. He saw what a loser the guy is in a locker room setting.

Pace pretty much told everybody what he thought of Marshall when he said a team’s best players have to be its best leaders and that football has to be Priority No. 1.

Marshall also wants to continue appearing on “Inside the NFL,’’ and now he’ll be closer to the studio while remaining just as far from being a winner.

Friday became a great day for Pace the Bears. Now, double down, Ryan. See if the Jets are dumb enough to trade for Cutler.
I don't agree with a single thing in that article, it's like it's opposite day.

Aaron Leming, who broke the story on the Chicago Bears trading Brandon Marshall to the New York Jets, discusses how the mercurial receiver found his way out of the Windy City.

Over the course of a rough 2014 season and in the midst of an apparent house cleaning, former Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall is now on his way to the New York Jets.

Early this morning, I received word from two separate sources that Marshall was on his way to the Jets and they would receive a late-round pick for compensation. The Bears will save roughly $4 million in cap space but why cut a top receiver in the league and create another large hole on the roster, all for a fifth-round pick?

A source informed me last Tuesday that the team had informed Marshall’s agent they were going to shop him on the trade market but they were not confident they could receive a 2015 draft pick. Rest assured, general manager Ryan Pace got the best value he could for the 31-year-old wide receiver, as there were at least four other teams with reported interest.

Over the course of this past year, Marshall’s act wore thin on not only the coaching staff and other players but he also had the disapproval of the front office, including Georg McCaskey. I was told it started with his appearances on Showtime’s “Inside The NFL” and began to spiral out of control after the 40-minute press conference Marshall held against the wishes of the organization.

There were also multiple reports of a “falling out” between quarterback Jay Cutlerand Marshall, and cryptic tweets from teammates like Kyle Long. From the hire of offensive coordinator Adam Gase to now, Marshall was reported as rubbing the new regime the wrong way.

There were questions of where his priorities really were with weekly trips to New York each Tuesday during the season, down to his reported selfishness in the locker room.

This move was not made due to a dip in production or questions of diminishing skills. This was simply a leadership move and from what I’m told, the Bears may not be done. Cutler and running back Matt Forte are not safe and could provide large salary-cap relief through trades.

I don't really think the way to build a franchise is with stud positional players. As great as guys like McCoy & Marshall are, I think they were both bad moves.

How often does Bill Belickick sign high priced WRs or RBs?
Bingo.

Users who are viewing this thread