What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall Signs with Giants (2 Viewers)

Harvin is on his way out. So it will be Marshall and Decker. Not a horrible duo. Geno should at least be serviceable this year. Need a running game though.

Harvin is on his way out. So it will be Marshall and Decker. Not a horrible duo. Geno should at least be serviceable this year. Need a running game though.
I would say Marshall, Decker and Kerley make a top 5-6 WR core in the NFL. Not sure what I think about them sticking with Powell and Ivory...would need to get a guy like Duke Johnson in the draft o make that work.

May not have to worry about the fear of Mariota's windows with this WR corps. Ivory is a good back I would only worry about having a serviceable backup since he has proven brittle. I, unfortunately, have some stock invested to NYJ WR's right now so I hope they find someone to throw the ball and I hope that someone isn't Ryan Fitzpatrick. Mallett or even Hoyer would be ok plays here.

Edit to add: If they got Foles in a Philly trade that would be ideal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, arguably the 2nd best WR of all time can make QBs look good. Other WRs maybe not so much.
Exception that proves the rule, I think.

Look at the WR corps Brady won his first three Super Bowls with. Nothing special.

Then this year, Edelman and LaFell. Not exactly superstars.

How can anyone not think this is a great move by the Jets? Say what you want, I see Marshall as a guy cut from the same mold as Dez. Not in talent, but passion to play. And win. Last year, Marshall was clearly upset with Cutler's performance and lack of leadership and his frustration and anger spilled into the media. Plus, Marshall was clearly hurt and playing on a bad wheel for much of the season last year.

Does he bring some significant baggage and a threat to be a problem in the locker room and possibly off the field? Yes. But the dude is a great WR and is absolutely going to help make Geno a better QB. He doesn't have to be open to make a catch and is, in my opinion, a perfect compliment to Decker. The Jets still have a lot of work to do and if they manage go get a quality TE, their offense is going to surprise a lot of people in 2015. Either way, adding Marshall for what, a 5th round pick is a boon for the Jets.

How can anyone not think this is a great move by the Jets? Say what you want, I see Marshall as a guy cut from the same mold as Dez. Not in talent, but passion to play. And win. Last year, Marshall was clearly upset with Cutler's performance and lack of leadership and his frustration and anger spilled into the media. Plus, Marshall was clearly hurt and playing on a bad wheel for much of the season last year.

Does he bring some significant baggage and a threat to be a problem in the locker room and possibly off the field? Yes. But the dude is a great WR and is absolutely going to help make Geno a better QB. He doesn't have to be open to make a catch and is, in my opinion, a perfect compliment to Decker. The Jets still have a lot of work to do and if they manage go get a quality TE, their offense is going to surprise a lot of people in 2015. Either way, adding Marshall for what, a 5th round pick is a boon for the Jets.
Same thing was said by Broncos, Dolphins, and the Bears. How did things turn out for them? I'm sure it will be very different for the Jets organization, they seem to have things figured out.

Same thing was said by Broncos, Dolphins, and the Bears. How did things turn out for them? I'm sure it will be very different for the Jets organization, they seem to have things figured out.
he wasnt a great wr for those teams? why do people always keep the hate for a team as if anyone on the former coaching staff or front office is calling the shots. Rex is not the coach anymore and idzik is not the GM. the seahawks were bad for a long time. the patriots were bad for a long time. what changed? the coach and front office. you need those changes to change a franchise sometimes.

he wasnt a great wr for those teams?
Depends on what you would call great? Stats without wins means nothing. Zero playoff appearances?

don't know that I'd call it great but it's a fine move. They need a playmaking receiver and he's that. He's the third WR they've brought in to fill that role, and my feelings on the subject have more to do with the Jets organization right now than Marshall as a player. Had this been any other organization except the Jets, Browns Raiders or Bills, it would be a lot more promising for BM.

don't know that I'd call it great but it's a fine move. They need a playmaking receiver and he's that. He's the third WR they've brought in to fill that role, and my feelings on the subject have more to do with the Jets organization right now than Marshall as a player. Had this been any other organization except the Jets, Browns Raiders or Bills, it would be a lot more promising for BM.
people selected watkins at 1.1 and 1.2 of rookie drafts when he went to the bills bad organization and bad qb. marshall may be 30 going on 31 but he can still play at an elite level. if others do not see how injuries and a bad qb played into last year i dont know what to say. not even close to the same offense scheme that the previous coaches have ran. its like people watch espn and just repeat what they say to sound like they know what they are talking about. you will see how bad cutler really sucks without marshall.

buy low on marshall and decker. something is brewing in NY.
Much like you can't brew a real beer without hops, you can't brew a real NFL offense without a quarterback.
Harvin, Marshall, Decker. If Geno can't get it done with all of that, beyond time to move on.
Quarterbacks make receivers, not the other way around.
I beg to differ. See Culpepper without Moss.
Jeff George and Scott Mitchell would also like a word.

Plenty of instances of bad-qb production spikes with a sudden influx of receiving talent. Doesn't mean it's better to build a team that way, but to pretend the phenomenon doesn't exist seems silly. :shrug:

I really don't understand the point of this post. You're bashing the Jet organization for bringing him in because their the Jets? Listen, I'm a Raiders fan and I hate the Jets. But trying to be objective, I see the Jets trying to actually learn from the past. They shook up the coaching staff, brought in a solid playmaking WR for what, a 5th round pick...And free agency hasn't even started yet. I wouldn't say the Jets are a model organization but it sure looks like their heading in the right direction. Either way, with Decker and Marshall, they have the base to put together a pretty solid offense.

buy low on marshall and decker. something is brewing in NY.
Much like you can't brew a real beer without hops, you can't brew a real NFL offense without a quarterback.
Harvin, Marshall, Decker. If Geno can't get it done with all of that, beyond time to move on.
Quarterbacks make receivers, not the other way around.
I beg to differ. See Culpepper without Moss.
Jeff George and Scott Mitchell would also like a word.

Plenty of instances of bad-qb production spikes with a sudden influx of receiving talent. Doesn't mean it's better to build a team that way, but to pretend the phenomenon doesn't exist seems silly. :shrug:
I agree.

I really don't understand the point of this post. You're bashing the Jet organization for bringing him in because their the Jets? Listen, I'm a Raiders fan and I hate the Jets. But trying to be objective, I see the Jets trying to actually learn from the past. They shook up the coaching staff, brought in a solid playmaking WR for what, a 5th round pick...And free agency hasn't even started yet. I wouldn't say the Jets are a model organization but it sure looks like their heading in the right direction. Either way, with Decker and Marshall, they have the base to put together a pretty solid offense.
I agree, Marshall was a solid low risk move that has potential to elevate their entire offense. Marshall has a reasonable salary with no future guarantees(though I did read yesterday he had some new money put into the deal). If things don't work it costs them a 5th round pick and they can release him with no further money owed. Low risk/high reward is generally a good move.

Why do some of you guys think that Marshall is still any good? The dude was hot garbage last year and his teammates hated him, just like they did in Miami and Denver. Nothing will change in NY. Only a matter of time before he wears out his welcome there too.
61-721-8 despite being hurt all year and missing three games is hot garbage? Interesting.

Depends on what you would call great? Stats without wins means nothing. Zero playoff appearances?
Did Marshall play on those horrific defenses the Bears had?

Anyway, I think anyone saying this isn't a good move for the Jets is just being a contrarian. They gave up a 5th round pick for one of the better WR in the game.

people selected watkins at 1.1 and 1.2 of rookie drafts when he went to the bills bad organization and bad qb. marshall may be 30 going on 31 but he can still play at an elite level. if others do not see how injuries and a bad qb played into last year i dont know what to say. not even close to the same offense scheme that the previous coaches have ran. its like people watch espn and just repeat what they say to sound like they know what they are talking about. you will see how bad cutler really sucks without marshall.
Your point about espn is lost on me, no idea what they're saying about it.

Watkins would have been worth more on another team, that point was clear after the draft. Still a good receiver as marshal should be too. I just find it surprising that the bears couldn't get more. Makes me wonder if something is wrong.

Did Marshall play on those horrific defenses the Bears had?

Anyway, I think anyone saying this isn't a good move for the Jets is just being a contrarian. They gave up a 5th round pick for one of the better WR in the game.
OK, it was a great move for the Jets, and will probably get them to the Super Bowl.

The price to acquire Marshall has dropped with each trade. If he was such a great player (check that) asset to a team, then why weren't teams with a winning records offering anything for him? You would think a player with Marshall's skills would actually make a fringe team a playoff contender, or a playoff team a Super Bowl contender.

My point about NE was an example of a franchise building for long-term success. In today's NFL I don't think RBs or WRs would be priority positions when rebuilding a franchise.

That being said, it's not like the Jets lose much here.

yeah, cuz we haven't figured that out yet

Did Marshall play on those horrific defenses the Bears had?Anyway, I think anyone saying this isn't a good move for the Jets is just being a contrarian. They gave up a 5th round pick for one of the better WR in the game.
OK, it was a great move for the Jets, and will probably get them to the Super Bowl.The price to acquire Marshall has dropped with each trade. If he was such a great player (check that) asset to a team, then why weren't teams with a winning records offering anything for him? You would think a player with Marshall's skills would actually make a fringe team a playoff contender, or a playoff team a Super Bowl contender.
You're making too much sense.

If Marshall goes to the Patriots, it's a good move for them, Brady and Belichick wouldn't put up with any of his immature nonsense. It's telling that they wouldn't part with a late 4th to get him despite their obvious need at the position. The guy plays hard and has talent. The problem is the Jets don't have anyone like Brady and Belichick. It will be the same old, same old for Marshall. He'll wear out his welcome in 2-3 years and wreak havoc in the Jets locker room along the way.

Sorry Jets fans.

From a fantasy standpoint, this is an obvious downgrade for Marshall. We'll see what they do at QB between now and week 1 though. They could get somebody that would pepper him with enough targets to put up a good season. Still gotta believe Marshall sees more coverage rolled his way on NY. Jets don't have Jeffery/Bennett/Forte to be concerned with.

Meh, could be a good move for both teams. Marshall still has some talent if he can reenergize himself with a new situation.

One thing to remember with Marshall is that he is probably the best run blocking wide receiver in the league.

He's crazy and I understand why the Bears dumped him, but the guy can play.

A Ryan Fitzpatrick signing could certainly salvage something out of Marshall.
Don't see that as an upgrade over Geno and I thought Decker did just fine with Geno. Had Decker not had the hammy I'd think we'd have seen better numbers but surprisingly other than TD's his numbers were not that far off from when Peyton was throwing to him versus Geno-at least in terms of per target.

Decker averaged 129 targets his two seasons playing with Peyton, 86 catches, 1,176 yards and 12 TD's.

By my count last season Geno targeted Decker 87 times for 54 completions, 797 yards and 4 TD's. If you prorate these numbers to the 129 targets Decker averaged in Denver you would have had 80 catches and 1,181 yards. And that's especially positive when you consider that Decker dealt with an injury and saw considerable more defensive focus in NY than in Denver.

So if Decker can produce with Geno, I'm of the belief Marshall will be just fine. It's not going to be the Cutler locking in on him 10+ times a game but I don't think it's nearly as bad as people think.

I haven't seen any talk about Marshall around here but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. How do people feel now with Fitzmagic under center?

I found this stat interesting in a 4for4 article, "Since 2008, Chan Gailey's primary target has accounted for 26.8% of all team receptions, a market share bested by only six wide receivers last season."

I think the obvious fear is that Marshall is past his prime, but despite the team name, I don't hate his situation year. The combination of Fitz/Gailey could make him a worth targeting as a WR3/flex who could produce like a WR2.

With Fitzpatrick now the starter (for who knows how long though), I might have to consider Marshall. My confidence in his situation is shaky. I believe in Marshall the player, just not sure about the JETs

Haven't really kicked the tires on him yet, but I'm intrigued as well. The standard Marshall pattern is he does very well his first year or two with a franchise before eventually wearing out his welcome. Also, who was his QB when he put up good numbers in Miami? Pennington? Henne? Whatever else he is, Fitz is clearly an upgrade on them.

I'm thinking maybe a WR2 target with a little upside? Keep in mind, he's one injury-filled year removed from a Top 6 season.

Haven't really kicked the tires on him yet, but I'm intrigued as well. The standard Marshall pattern is he does very well his first year or two with a franchise before eventually wearing out his welcome. Also, who was his QB when he put up good numbers in Miami? Pennington? Henne? Whatever else he is, Fitz is clearly an upgrade on them.

I'm thinking maybe a WR2 target with a little upside? Keep in mind, he's one injury-filled year removed from a Top 6 season.
In 2010 it was Henne, in 11 is was Matt Moore. I remember owning him during one of those seasons and he couldn't buy a TD yet still managed 80+ reception, 1000+ yards (did so both years). He was my WR3 at the time as well.

Like I said the situation doesn't scare me and I've never doubted his talent. My only worry is that last years injury riddled (ankle, ribs) season is sign of things to come. As long as he hasn't completely fallen off a cliff he can still be a great possession receiver who can high point the ball in the endzone better than most. He did look good vs. ATL but it's preseason.

Marshall vs. Revis 1 on 1s

I haven't seen any talk about Marshall around here but maybe I haven't looked hard enough. How do people feel now with Fitzmagic under center?

I found this stat interesting in a 4for4 article, "Since 2008, Chan Gailey's primary target has accounted for 26.8% of all team receptions, a market share bested by only six wide receivers last season."

I think the obvious fear is that Marshall is past his prime, but despite the team name, I don't hate his situation year. The combination of Fitz/Gailey could make him a worth targeting as a WR3/flex who could produce like a WR2.
Im actually more interested in Marshall now that Fitz is the starting QB. Fitz's best seasons were with Gailey as his OC.

Yep, Fitz increases Marshall's value.

Was pretty much undraftable for me until Fitz took over at QB. Now there is hope.

Users who are viewing this thread