What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Staley (1 Viewer)

Jacob's Ladder

Footballguy
Has a head coach ever been fired in the middle of the game? I don’t think so, but that’s what Staley deserves. He’s not a good head coach, but worse, he’s obviously lost this team. He should have been fired after last week.

The guy gets his franchise QB hurt because of terrible game-planning and high school level line protections. Does he adjust for his deer in the headlights backup? Of course not, he stays the course not giving Stick or anyone else a chance in this one.

The Ekeler/Kelley/Spiller ‘competition’ for carries is laughable.

Dysfunctional doesn’t even begin to describe this mess.

Has a head coach ever been fired in the middle of the game? I don’t think so, but that’s what Staley deserves. He’s not a good head coach, but worse, he’s obviously lost this team. He should have been fired after last week.

The guy gets his franchise QB hurt because of terrible game-planning and high school level line protections. Does he adjust for his deer in the headlights backup? Of course not, he stays the course not giving Stick or anyone else a chance in this one.

Should have never been the head coach to start this season

Truth.

This game is painful to watch. Players don’t look like they want to be there and Staley’s play calling is just as ridiculous as it ever was.

If Herbert couldn’t survive this, how the F does Staley think his green backup will fair?

If they keep losing and end up with some valuable draft capital this job could be one of the most coveted jobs available. I don’t watch a ton of Chargers, but dang, this is pathetic stuff. Leave Staley in Vegas tell him to catch a commercial flight home.

Should have never been the head coach to start this season

Lol Sherman just said what I did. This dude doesn’t deserve to come out with the team in the 2nd half. Sherman wants to send him home in an Uber. At least I was nice enough to say send him on a commercial flight. 🤣

I think he might be gone after this one.
If not, we know he has incriminating material on the owner.
He does. A contract that forces the owner to pay up whether he's coaching or not. What could be more incriminating to the Spanos family than paying money?
Isn't that every coaching contract?
Yes, but not every coach gets hired by one of the cheapest ownership groups in the league.

I think he might be gone after this one.
If not, we know he has incriminating material on the owner.
He does. A contract that forces the owner to pay up whether he's coaching or not. What could be more incriminating to the Spanos family than paying money?
Isn't that every coaching contract?
Yes, but not every coach gets hired by one of the cheapest ownership groups in the league.
That’s why I laugh at the Bellichick to Chargers rumors. No way would he coach for a clown like Spanos

HC Brandon Staley was asked if he thinks he should still be the coach: "Yes. I know what I've done here for 3 years."

"Games like this happen to every coach in the league. It's part of sports."

Has he been fired yet?

Midseason firings in the NFL aren't very common, but it seems like when they do come, a lot of the time it's right after the team got embarrassed on national television. That's the one thing that will set owners off.

HC Brandon Staley was asked if he thinks he should still be the coach: "Yes. I know what I've done here for 3 years."

Happened to Sean Peyton this year vs the Dolphins.

Staley should be fired.....should have been weeks ago. But games like this do happen. Even to SB winning coaches.

Jimmy Johnson/Marino's last ever game.

62-7

In the Post Season.

They both went out on that one.

Staley should be fired.....should have been weeks ago. But games like this do happen. Even to SB winning coaches.

62-7

In the Post Season.

At least Payton has the quality resume and was still new to the job. And look at the broncos- a competitive team with whatever roster he was handed over!

Pretty excited to start the raiders d tonight but good lord- the raiders literally couldn’t score a few days ago lol.

62-7

In the Post Season.

At least Payton has the quality resume and was still new to the job. And look at the broncos- a competitive team with whatever roster he was handed over!

Pretty excited to start the raiders d tonight but good lord- the raiders literally couldn’t score a few days ago lol.
That was not the point.

Point is these kind of games happen to great coaches too.

Staley's body of work has been crap. We all know he should be fired....in fact he should have been after last years playoff debacle.

While his record isn't the worst, to me Staley is the worst coach that I can recall. They have way too much talent to be this bad. The Chargers have to lead in losses in games that they should have won. They seem to find new ways to lose.

They totally quit last night, especially on the defensive side the ball. This is a Raiders team that scored ZERO points the week before. MIN's D is good but they are not the 85 Bears or the 00 Ravens. To give up 42 points in the first half........I would have told Staley to leave Vegas at halftime and go back to LA.....with no job.

If you can't get motivated to at least slow down the shellacking from the 4th round QB who was shut out last week, when you the only game on TV, and you getting paid maybe the coach isn't the only problem.

Like, no personal pride?

Effing Raiders did that to you?

That’s why I laugh at the Bellichick to Chargers rumors. No way would he coach for a clown like Spanos

And Spanos isn't going to be attracted to any coach he might have competition for. He likely won't even inquire about Belichick, Harbaugh, Ben Johnson, or Eviro.

No blame at all on these defensive players who mailed it in, huh?

Once you down 30, no pride? NO desire to keep it under 50?
Actually, the defense did shut them out after the first drive of the second half. The last two TDs came from the defense. That was probably more due to Pierce calling off the dogs.

The biggest quit I saw last night was the offensive line on the scoop-and-score TD. I get that it wasn't immediately apparent that there was a fumble, but check out all the Chargers who were lightly jogging as a 300+ D-lineman slowly rumbled for the TD.

This team needs to clean house. GM needs to go as well. Bring in an offensive guy like Ben Johnson or Bobby Slowik. Recognize this is a rebuild and gut the whole team outside of Herbert.

Staley is a bad coach but this team needed to do this a year ago. This was an aging roster with no depth but they couldn't reset because Staley was coaching for his job. So instead they tried to slap a few Band-Aids on it and run it back with predictable results.

He may be the worst coach in history.
Les than Steckel?
Rich Kotite checking in
Poor Kotite. He has survived all these years as the ur-example of a horrible coach. He was actually successful with the Eagles, with a winning record and a few playoff appearances, but he bottomed out with the Jets (4-28). I don't have a lot of specific memories of him, but if I hear the name I immediately think "horrible coach", just like if I hear Jeff Fischer's name I immediately think "mediocre coach".

But why him and not, say, Hue Jackson, who went 3-36 and is one of only two coaches to go 0-16? (The other was Rod Marinelli, but I think his rep was saved by the fact that he's considered an excellent defensive coach who was out of his depth at HC). I'm reminded of an explanation I once read in The Straight Dope about why the Mona Lisa is considered the greatest painting ever. You can talk about the smile, or some of the things Da Vinci did with the background, but ultimately, something's gotta be considered the greatest, so why not that one? I think Kotite may be the Mona Lisa of bad HCs

Users who are viewing this thread