What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Staley (1 Viewer)

Poor Kotite. He has survived all these years as the ur-example of a horrible coach. He was actually successful with the Eagles, with a winning record and a few playoff appearances, but he bottomed out with the Jets (4-28). I don't have a lot of specific memories of him, but if I hear the name I immediately think "horrible coach", just like if I hear Jeff Fischer's name I immediately think "mediocre coach".

But why him and not, say, Hue Jackson, who went 3-36 and is one of only two coaches to go 0-16? (The other was Rod Marinelli, but I think his rep was saved by the fact that he's considered an excellent defensive coach who was out of his depth at HC). I'm reminded of an explanation I once read in The Straight Dope about why the Mona Lisa is considered the greatest painting ever. You can talk about the smile, or some of the things Da Vinci did with the background, but ultimately, something's gotta be considered the greatest, so why not that one? I think Kotite may be the Mona Lisa of bad HCs

A lot of it is probably contextual. In Philly he took over for Buddy Ryan who I recall being a pretty popular coach there. Kotite did take them to the playoffs once but they generally got worse under his tenure. Then in two years with the Jets he went 3-13 and 1-15, the latter being tied for the worst 16-game record ever (at the time; it had only been done a few times, and it wasn't until the late 2000s that a team finally went 0-16). He was succeeded there by a legendary coach in Parcells who immediately made the Jets a winning team, which didn't help Kotite's legacy. And it happened in New York, as opposed to a place like Cleveland or Indianapolis.

I agree with you that he's not the best example to hold up as the worst, especially now, but his name just kinda sticks around in the conversation. It's like if you're talking about greatest QBs ever someone will inevitably throw in a name like Fran Tarkenton or whatever. He might've been in the discussion fifty years ago, just like it might've made sense to discuss Kotite as worst coach ever 25 years ago, but now it just seems silly to mention them when there have been much better examples in the decades since.

He may be the worst coach in history.

And yet, he may not even be in the top three for worst coach in Chargers history. Just since the Spanos family has owned the team, they have employed Kevin Gilbride (6-16), Mike Riley (14-34), and Dan Henning (16-26). I realize W/L record doesn't tell the whole story, but Staley's 24-25 easily places him in the top ten of Chargers' HCs.

Maybe the issue with The Chargers is a little higher up the food chain than coaching?

Can you elaborate?

The roster is excellent. The Quarterback is excellent. I'm going to credit the GM with that.

For ownership, I don't envision the owner making a change there.

Maybe the issue with The Chargers is a little higher up the food chain than coaching?

Can you elaborate?

The roster is excellent. The Quarterback is excellent. I'm going to credit the GM with that.

It seems we've been saying these things about The Chargers for years.
Nice roster,very good quarterback,GM does a good job.
We could be talking about right now or back to The Rivers days.
Maybe the "vibe" in the organization isn't quite right. Remember Archie didn't want Eli there in the worst way.

Poor Kotite. He has survived all these years as the ur-example of a horrible coach. He was actually successful with the Eagles, with a winning record and a few playoff appearances, but he bottomed out with the Jets (4-28). I don't have a lot of specific memories of him, but if I hear the name I immediately think "horrible coach", just like if I hear Jeff Fischer's name I immediately think "mediocre coach".

But why him and not, say, Hue Jackson, who went 3-36 and is one of only two coaches to go 0-16? (The other was Rod Marinelli, but I think his rep was saved by the fact that he's considered an excellent defensive coach who was out of his depth at HC). I'm reminded of an explanation I once read in The Straight Dope about why the Mona Lisa is considered the greatest painting ever. You can talk about the smile, or some of the things Da Vinci did with the background, but ultimately, something's gotta be considered the greatest, so why not that one? I think Kotite may be the Mona Lisa of bad HCs

A lot of it is probably contextual. In Philly he took over for Buddy Ryan who I recall being a pretty popular coach there. Kotite did take them to the playoffs once but they generally got worse under his tenure. Then in two years with the Jets he went 3-13 and 1-15, the latter being tied for the worst 16-game record ever (at the time; it had only been done a few times, and it wasn't until the late 2000s that a team finally went 0-16). He was succeeded there by a legendary coach in Parcells who immediately made the Jets a winning team, which didn't help Kotite's legacy. And it happened in New York, as opposed to a place like Cleveland or Indianapolis.

I agree with you that he's not the best example to hold up as the worst, especially now, but his name just kinda sticks around in the conversation. It's like if you're talking about greatest QBs ever someone will inevitably throw in a name like Fran Tarkenton or whatever. He might've been in the discussion fifty years ago, just like it might've made sense to discuss Kotite as worst coach ever 25 years ago, but now it just seems silly to mention them when there have been much better examples in the decades since.
Kotite will always be remembered in Philly for his 7-2 start in 1994 where we managed to finish 7-9 to close out the season. It was unquantifiable how he got another job after that let alone 2 years in NY before fading into the sunset.

Khalil Mack trade was a franchise killer. And committing to Mike Williams. Definitely seems like poor management that is being meddled by the ownership. They traded picks and assumed Mack’s contract when he was clearly declining.

Let’s not forget that Quentin Johnson is also looking like a huge miss. Year 1 wr production is assumed these days.

Lastly, Staley was just a big nerd and had the deer in headlights look. I’m guessing the whole team expected him to be gone last year and were probably bummed he wasn’t

Can you elaborate?

TBH the organization needs Dean and Alex Spanos to go full Dan Snyder so the Chargers can out the Spanos family and get new ownership. Maybe the new owners will realize how stupid it is that the Chargers are in LA and move them back to SD. One can only hope Dean's sister is successful in selling the team.

Can you elaborate?

The GM was let go after 11 years, the Chargers have a history of hiring coaches that do not embody a culture in San Diego or Los Angeles.
It's always an OC/DC with a couple years experience but not much head coaching, with an exception here and there but lately is mostly as I describe.
They need to get serious and try to lure a Jim Harbaugh type that can change the culture there for the Bolts.
That would be my free advice to the owner, pay more if you must but get some real experience and not some 30-something year old just because it worked for the Rams.

Khalil Mack trade was a franchise killer. And committing to Mike Williams. Definitely seems like poor management that is being meddled by the ownership. They traded picks and assumed Mack’s contract when he was clearly declining.

Let’s not forget that Quentin Johnson is also looking like a huge miss. Year 1 wr production is assumed these days.

Lastly, Staley was just a big nerd and had the deer in headlights look. I’m guessing the whole team expected him to be gone last year and were probably bummed he wasn’t
I actually didn’t hate the Mack acquisition. It’s the kind of move this team never makes and he has played pretty well. But he can’t cover receivers and Bosa can’t stay healthy beside him.

The Williams and Allen contracts were for a win this year. Williams will be gone next year.

LAC should start a rebuild and draft a decent QB.. That would be a start.
There's nothing wrong with Herbert that A good OC and HC wouldn't fix. Dude had mad talent.
Of course there is nothing wrong with him, outside not being as good as some fans and the media thinks he is..

maybe a Good OC will have him rise above his abilities, but this is what year 4 and he has played in 1 playoff game.

If any team could do with a Dan Campbell type coach it is the chargers. Ownership here is kind of the worst of the NFL owner types. Spanos wants the LA market and positioned himself to have a piece of it, but he doesn't have the revenue stream or the respect to be considered a "top guy" and his teams reflect that.

I was saying last night the chargers should look like the Miami Dolphins. Fast paced, solid rushing attack, Solid QB, and the right pieces on D. They aren't because their owner isn't as committed to winning as Stephen Ross. You can denigrate Ross for being a dumb owner (because he has done some really dumb things) but he is not afraid to spend money to try and get a winner. Spanos is kind of the opposite of that.

There's nothing wrong with Herbert that A good OC and HC wouldn't fix. Dude had mad talent.
Of course there is nothing wrong with him, outside not being as good as some fans and the media thinks he is..

maybe a Good OC will have him rise above his abilities, but this is what year 4 and he has played in 1 playoff game.

overrated as hell

overrated as hell
Not a Duck fan?:laugh:

Looks like they are going to have a pretty good daft pick coming up. Does anyone think they’ll add a lineman, O or D? I sure don’t. But that’s what they should do. Pick the DB and WR in round 2-4.

He'll get another job and then another HC spot.
Who is the acting or interim coach?
He will never be a HC again.
He will, everyone gets another shot. Just look at McDaniels (and Norv). He may prove to be a good DC and should stay in that role though.
I am not so sure about Staley. And not every former HC gets another chance.

It would surprise me if he gets another HC gig vs a DC gig.

He'll get another job and then another HC spot.
Who is the acting or interim coach?
He will never be a HC again.
He will, everyone gets another shot. Just look at McDaniels (and Norv). He may prove to be a good DC and should stay in that role though.
I am not so sure about Staley. And not every former HC gets another chance.

It would surprise me if he gets another HC gig vs a DC gig.
I guess it will come down to how well the next defense does and how he can convince teams he's learned from this and can be a successful HC.

Looks like they are going to have a pretty good daft pick coming up. Does anyone think they’ll add a lineman, O or D? I sure don’t. But that’s what they should do. Pick the DB and WR in round 2-4.
Most mocks I see have them drinking the Kool-Aid McKinstry, but that was before all this free fall and finally firing. O Line and D (DLine and LB for sure) continue to be needs. RB will be a day 2 need (Ek on the downhill, Spiller and Kelly are not starters).

It's awfully hard to project what this roster might look like heading into the draft. They are currently $45m over the cap. Here are some of the biggest cap hits for next year and their NFL rank.

9. Mack - $38.5m (FA in 2025)
10. Bosa - $36.6m (FA in 2026)
13. Keenan - 34.7m (FA in 2025)
15. M. Williams - $32.5m (FA in 2025)
89. Derwin - $19.9m (FA in 2027)
91. Herbert - $19.3m (FA in 2030)

It seems to me like one or both edge rushers will be gone after this year and one or both WRs will be gone after this year. If so, they both need to be addressed early in the draft.

It's awfully hard to project what this roster might look like heading into the draft. They are currently $45m over the cap. Here are some of the biggest cap hits for next year and their NFL rank.

It seems to me like one or both edge rushers will be gone after this year and one or both WRs will be gone after this year. If so, they both need to be addressed early in the draft.
We need @Just Win Baby to chime in on dead money, and we can probably take this to the Chargers thread, but I think they keep Mack, Keenan and Derwin and Bosa and Williams are done. I don't think they can trade them with those numbers.

We need @Just Win Baby to chime in on dead money, and we can probably take this to the Chargers thread, but I think they keep Mack, Keenan and Derwin and Bosa and Williams are done. I don't think they can trade them with those numbers.

I posted this on Oct 8: Bye Week 2024 Cap Update

I also posted this on Nov 13: Going on the Record: It's Time to Fire Staley... Now

I think both receivers are gone if it's cap-feasible to do so. They have Palmer, can draft a guy, pick up a reasonable move-the-chains guy in free agency and can still hope Q. Johnston makes a jump in his second year. Throw in decent TE play and that's plenty for Herbert with good coaching.

Les than Steckel?
Rich Kotite checking in

Kotite's success came with Buddy Ryan's roster. Then he collapsed epically in 1994, starting 7-2 and losing the final 7 games, the last one to the Bengals, who were by far the worst team in the league. That got him fired by Jeffrey Lurie, who had bought the Eagles less than a year before. He then went to the Jets who had about zero talent and his teams were predictably horrendous. But it wasn't just his record with the Jets that got him his reputation, it was the sheer delusion he displayed in his press conferences. And because it happened in New York, the whole country heard about it.

Ray Handley performed just as terrible with the Giants as Kotite did with the Jets, but his press conferences weren't meme-able.

Les than Steckel?
Rich Kotite checking in

Kotite's success came with Buddy Ryan's roster. Then he collapsed epically in 1994, starting 7-2 and losing the final 7 games, the last one to the Bengals, who were by far the worst team in the league. That got him fired by Jeffrey Lurie, who had bought the Eagles less than a year before. He then went to the Jets who had about zero talent and his teams were predictably horrendous. But it wasn't just his record with the Jets that got him his reputation, it was the sheer delusion he displayed in his press conferences. And because it happened in New York, the whole country heard about it.

Ray Handley performed just as terrible with the Giants as Kotite did with the Jets, but his press conferences weren't meme-able.
Yeah, it wasn't just that the teams were so bad (& they were), but that he was also so tone-deaf. Add in that it happened in NYC - and WFAN was at the height of its power, which was no small thing in the 90s.

Bosa's cap hit is about the same as his contract so he's not going anywhere unless by trade. The only team I could imagine is the Titans because they'll have 89 mil available and Ran's closeness to his brother BUT going after an older player in a rebuild doesn't fit.

He's just too expensive that he's probably staying put

I think both receivers are gone if it's cap-feasible to do so. They have Palmer, can draft a guy, pick up a reasonable move-the-chains guy in free agency and can still hope Q. Johnston makes a jump in his second year. Throw in decent TE play and that's plenty for Herbert with good coaching.

It won’t be hard to maneuver, most of those big numbers are big base salaries with a roster bonus. Can easily cut, extend or convert those types of contracts as each doesn’t have a relative ton of dead money and they can designate someone a post June1st cut if needed too. Just cutting MW & Mack alone gets them down under the cap.

They can save $20MM cutting Mike Williams, he’s as good as gone. I’d expect Allen will restructure/extend to get his sizeable cap number down. He’s shown zero signs of decline yet and is still Herbert’s favorite target. But who knows with a new GM and head coach. Unfortunately QJ was a longterm project guy like Williams was originally, a new regime may not want to take the time to see if he develops but with his contract, he’ll get at least 3 more seasons to see. Herbert needs an extension but it may have to wait until 2025 while they dig out of the cap situation. Plus a new coach is probably going to want 1 year to see how things gel.

For the defense, Mack is having a great season but going to be tough to trade him at his cap number and age, either LAC or an acquiring team would probably extend and lower his #, or maybe LAC eats some salary to trade him to a contender. He may just be a cap casualty depending on the new regime. Despite continued high level play he’s getting up there in age so an extension doesn’t make much sense. Cutting him outright saves $23MM, designate him a post-June 1st and they push like another $8MM to ‘25. Bosa is still young enough they could extend or trade him for a decent return IMO. Derwin could restructure his base salary to a bonus if they want to save some $ there as he hasn’t restructured before.

Biggest issue isn’t the big # guys IMO, they have quite a few older guys as starters and mercenary guys on short deals. The roster needs an overhaul in lots of spots and now they’ve wasted all of Herbert’s cheap years so it will be harder to plug holes without getting better at drafting.

Les than Steckel?
Rich Kotite checking in

Yeah, it wasn't just that the teams were so bad (& they were), but that he was also so tone-deaf. Add in that it happened in NYC - and WFAN was at the height of its power, which was no small thing in the 90s.
Yep. At the time I was working in Central Jersey and had WFAN on often, and the clowning on Kotite was nonstop.

Dear Chargers organization,

I'm an Internet warrior and don't claim to be any smarter then anyone, let alone you folks making the decisions. You have Justin Herbert. Please bring in one of these high profile offensive gurus types that can coach this kid. He has all the tools to be a wonderful Hall of Fame player. Don't get cute and bring in some gritty, old school, defensive guy because you watched ESPN 30 for 30 The 85 Bears. It won't work. Appreciate your time. Thanks

FarFromhome

Been following every move this franchise makes for 20 years now. Problem is at the top. Spanos has his kids running the franchise; John Spano's is the president of Football Ops and his son AG Spano's is the president of Business Ops. It's an absolute joke.

Really hard to set a merit based organizational tone when the entire top of the structure is based entirely on nepotism.

Users who are viewing this thread