What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Braves leaving Turner Field (1 Viewer)

I guess my bottom line is that a baseball stadium in the suburbs of a major city is just ####### lame. My biggest complaint about the city of Atlanta is now firmly embodied in the baseball team that I have cheered for my whole life. Lame.

All that aside, as far as the people complaining about Marta not being allowed in Cobb; doesn't CCT have routes that run downtown? There is public transport between the NW suburbs and downtown, it's just not Marta.
Yes they do but to be honest that's a blip on the radar when it comes to mass transit. It's crap but despite that most don't belive that MARTA will be beneficial to the area. I don't agree myself but I understand the argument.

And welcome to Atlanta Krista!
:hifive: Thanks.

Good city. Wish it had a baseball team. ;)

krista4 said:
AAABatteries said:
Tecumseh said:
All that aside, as far as the people complaining about Marta not being allowed in Cobb; doesn't CCT have routes that run downtown? There is public transport between the NW suburbs and downtown, it's just not Marta.
Yes they do but to be honest that's a blip on the radar when it comes to mass transit. It's crap but despite that most don't belive that MARTA will be beneficial to the area. I don't agree myself but I understand the argument.

I think you are a Clemson fan, right? Are you making the road trip up to Death Valley tomorrow night? I'm a GT grad so we will be mortal enemies for the evening. I imagine you'll have a lot more fun than I will except for after about midway through the 3rd quarter when I'll be comfortably hammered and laughing at us being down 20+.

krista4 said:
AAABatteries said:
Tecumseh said:

I think you are a Clemson fan, right? Are you making the road trip up to Death Valley tomorrow night? I'm a GT grad so we will be mortal enemies for the evening. I imagine you'll have a lot more fun than I will except for after about midway through the 3rd quarter when I'll be comfortably hammered and laughing at us being down 20+.
Think you're mixing me up with YSR. I have no collegiate football allegiances but was considering taking up GT.

krista4 said:
AAABatteries said:
Tecumseh said:

Think you're mixing me up with YSR. I have no collegiate football allegiances but was considering taking up GT.
:thumbup:

Buckfast 1 said:
Here is a quote from Joe Dendy, Chairman for Cobb County Republican Party, explaining his conditions for supporting the Braves' proposed move, which provides some insight into the mentality of many Atlanta suburbanites:

"It is absolutely necessary the (transportation) solution is all about moving cars in and around Cobb and surrounding counties from our north and east where most Braves fans travel from, and not moving people into Cobb by rail from Atlanta."

So it appears as if there is a good chance that the new Braves stadium will never get decent public transportation access because Cobb County conservatives will never allow MARTA to expand and allow "those people from downtown Atlanta without cars" to get to the stadium via public transportation.

http://m.ajc.com/weblogs/jay-bookman/2013/nov/12/cobb-gop-chairman-concerned-about-those-people-com/
What a sad, narrow viewpoint he has.

I still can't figure out why the Falcons and/or Braves haven't considered the Doraville site, where the old GM plant sits. Tons of space, great location where 85 and 285 meet and a MARTA station, all in an area that could use redevelopment in a big way. Probably because it makes TOO much sense for the ####### politicians in this region.

I still can't figure out why the Falcons and/or Braves haven't considered the Doraville site, where the old GM plant sits. Tons of space, great location where 85 and 285 meet and a MARTA station, all in an area that could use redevelopment in a big way. Probably because it makes TOO much sense for the ####### politicians in this region.
YES!

Part of me still hopes the Cobb county thing falls through and they go here.

YES!

Keep dreaming. Doraville said no thanks.

YES!

####### idiot politicians.

Pittman told FOX 5 the site is a prime investment spot that would be wasted on a new stadium.
How's that going?? :doh:

YES!

####### idiot politicians.

Pittman told FOX 5 the site is a prime investment spot that would be wasted on a new stadium.
How's that going?? :doh:
Exactly. Property values in Doraville have fallen apart in the last 5 years and people are leaving the area in droves. Dekalb County is the single most mismanaged cluster-eff in the country. What a joke.

I do think too much is being made of having a MARTA station nearby.

Thanks to local politics/racism, having MARTA nearby does very little to serve the majority of Braves ticket holders - who all live in areas that are not serviced by MARTA. SO it does not help much to connect the stadium to a station, if the fans can't/won't use it to get home.

Obviously fans could park further out, and take MARTA to a game, but it would still be a hassle getting to and from those stations in North Fulton, and most suburban Atlantans are conditioned to "needing" their cars, and have an aversion to using MARTA.

I lived in Atlanta (Cobb County), and worked in mid-town and buckhead, from '93 to '01, and rode Marta maybe a half-dozen times - a few times during the Olympics, and a couple of times to get to the airport. Otherwise, I had no use for it. I had season tickets to the Braves in both Fulton County Stadium and the Ted, also had season tickets for the Falcons - never considered using MARTA for any of those events :shrug:

I do think too much is being made of having a MARTA station nearby.

Thanks to local politics/racism, having MARTA nearby does very little to serve the majority of Braves ticket holders - who all live in areas that are not serviced by MARTA. SO it does not help much to connect the stadium to a station, if the fans can't/won't use it to get home.

Obviously fans could park further out, and take MARTA to a game, but it would still be a hassle getting to and from those stations in North Fulton, and most suburban Atlantans are conditioned to "needing" their cars, and have an aversion to using MARTA.

I lived in Atlanta (Cobb County), and worked in mid-town and buckhead, from '93 to '01, and rode Marta maybe a half-dozen times - a few times during the Olympics, and a couple of times to get to the airport. Otherwise, I had no use for it. I had season tickets to the Braves in both Fulton County Stadium and the Ted, also had season tickets for the Falcons - never considered using MARTA for any of those events :shrug:
I've used MARTA plenty of times for events where parking in town is an issue: Mostly for running the Peachtree and various half and full marathons, as well as concerts like Music Midtown. I've also encouraged people flying into town to take MARTA from the airport to the Doraville station so I don't have to drive for hours.

The idea of putting the stadium on the MARTA line is to keep in-town residents as ticket holders who have less access to cars if you move the team OTP.

I use the crap out of MARTA when visiting Atlanta. Usually stay downtown near a station. Driving around the city is a cluster####...​

Obviously you'll always have people driving to games and Marta isn't going to be convenient for everyone. But, for people who live or work inside the perimeter, if that option exists, it makes sense to take advantage of it. Having mass transit options at a large venue makes sense because it is going to alleviate traffic to some extent. That doesn't mean it eliminates traffic or that 100% of patrons will take advantage.

This whole thing makes me more and more pissed off at politicians the more I learn about it. First you have the city failing to improve the area around Turner Field and failing with mass transit as well. The result is going to be a perfectly good stadium gets leveled. Huge waste of money right there. Then you have the Cobb idiots committing $450 million of our money, with taxpayers not having a say, and offering a site which is already one of the most congested in the metro area, which also has NO ####### MARTA SERVICE EITHER, which was one of the team's chief complaints about the current site. And lastly we have a site in Dekalb which could be ideal, and an idiot mayor there who turned it down. So just a void of leadership, vision and accountability all around. Just depressing really.

Buckfast 1 said:
Here is a quote from Joe Dendy, Chairman for Cobb County Republican Party, explaining his conditions for supporting the Braves' proposed move, which provides some insight into the mentality of many Atlanta suburbanites:

"It is absolutely necessary the (transportation) solution is all about moving cars in and around Cobb and surrounding counties from our north and east where most Braves fans travel from, and not moving people into Cobb by rail from Atlanta."

So it appears as if there is a good chance that the new Braves stadium will never get decent public transportation access because Cobb County conservatives will never allow MARTA to expand and allow "those people from downtown Atlanta without cars" to get to the stadium via public transportation.

http://m.ajc.com/weblogs/jay-bookman/2013/nov/12/cobb-gop-chairman-concerned-about-those-people-com/
MARTA will come to Cobb... in 200 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buckfast 1 said:

In that time, the Braves will have 173 playoff appearances and 2 World Series championships.

I don't understand this geography causing/preventing sprawl argument. It's not the 19th century. We can and do cross rivers in cars and trains pretty easily. The only American cities that can't really expand in all four directions are San Francisco, Chicago and Boston- and they can still expand in three directions. Those places and others that can expand in four directions (NY, Philly, DC) still maintain vibrant urban centers.

Isn't it much more likely that sprawl, or the lack of it, is by choice? In cities that have great downtowns many people are living there by choice, not necessity. They want to be in the thick of it all, and are willing to share their space with others to get that vibe. For better or worse, Atlantans mostly seem to think differently. Geography doesn't explain why the suburbs cut themselves off from downtown by rejecting mass transit. That's fine.
Its called white flight.
Actually my understanding is that in Atlanta whites have been moving in.

Some traditionally black districts have had some demographic changes.

Personally I'm a big fan of downtown stadiums, cities miss out on the sports industry possibilities a lot. I think the reason is that politicians who make decisions on this sell out to people with property interests - wherever that property is - but typically it's people who bought huge tracts of land real cheap (ie outside the city) and then fleece the public on the inside sale. Rather than develop the downtown and generate the economy the pals of pols keep most of the dough. This is both R & D by the way, the money don't care.
:goodposting:

I agree with this. I really like how Charlotte has the Panthers, Bobcats, and AAA team (starting this Spring) all within a few blocks of each other.

Can't stand situations like Fedex Field in DC where you follow up a long train ride with a healthy walk and have to wait to get on the train for an hour afterwards.

I like visiting Atlanta, but am always overwhelmed by how spread out and difficult to navigate things are. Midtown seems like it would be cool though.
I hate it too, but to be fair, football is kind of a different animal. Many cities don't have space for parking for 90,000 around a football stadium, plus 8 regular season games and 2 preseason games a year can't really do much for the economy of the surrounding area like 81 baseball games or 82 combined hockey/basketball games plus pre/postseason. Other than Charlotte and New Orleans, do any NFL teams play in the middle of a downtown area?
Is the Georgia Dome considered downtown to you? What about Baltimore? It's a short walk to Inner Harbor but technically I guess not downtown Baltimore. In Pittsburgh, PNC Park is walk across the river to downtown but Heinz Field would be a long walk.
Similarly, LP Field sits on the east side of the river, across from downtown Nashville.

Buckfast 1 said:

Not until they change the acronym...

Sinn Fein said:
metoo said:

Not until they change the acronym...
:lol:

YES!

:lmao:

Doraville has an image to maintain. An image of non-english strip clubs, noodle shops and crumbling buildings. 9 figure investement in the heart of the Doraville?

NO THANK YOU WE ARE QUITE HAPPY WITH OUR EMPTY GM PLANT AND THE LAST EXISTING KMART IN NORTH AMERICA.

YES!Part of me still hopes the Cobb county thing falls through and they go here.

Doraville has an image to maintain. An image of non-english strip clubs, noodle shops and crumbling buildings. 9 figure investement in the heart of the Doraville?

NO THANK YOU WE ARE QUITE HAPPY WITH OUR EMPTY GM PLANT AND THE LAST EXISTING KMART IN NORTH AMERICA.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I guess my bottom line is that a baseball stadium in the suburbs of a major city is just ####### lame. My biggest complaint about the city of Atlanta is now firmly embodied in the baseball team that I have cheered for my whole life. Lame.
Miller Stadium is outside Milwaukee, there's nothing around the park in terms of bars and restaurants, and yet it's not that bad an experience going to a game at Miller. There's a couple things at play. First, and foremost, there's plenty of parking immediately outside the stadium and they allow tailgating and drinking in those parking lots. Second, downtown Milwaukee really isn't much of a high-traffic, pedestrian walking around city. A lot of people come into the city to work, leave in the evening, and you don't see much life in the streets (at least compared to other cities I've been to) so a person going out to Miller Park really doesn't feel like they're missing out on some great downtown experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
The site they are proposing in Cobb is hardly suburban. It happens to be a much easier drive for the bulk of the city's white middle class fans, but it's still an Atlanta address in the heart of one of the three major business districts.

Miller Stadium is outside Milwaukee, there's nothing around the park in terms of bars and restaurants, and yet it's not that bad an experience going to a game at Miller. There's a couple things at play. First, and foremost, there's plenty of parking immediately outside the stadium and they allow tailgating and drinking in those parking lots. Second, downtown Milwaukee really isn't much of a high-traffic, pedestrian walking around city. A lot of people come into the city to work, leave in the evening, and you don't see much life in the streets (at least compared to other cities I've been to) so a person going out to Miller Park really doesn't feel like they're missing out on some great downtown experience.
At the risk of threadjacking this Atlanta thread (even though they stole the Braves from Milwaukee in 1965), Miller Park is still well within the Milwaukee city limits. It's about 3-4 miles from downtown. I grew up 3 miles away from the old Milwaukee County Stadium even further from downtown and I was still in the city. And Milwaukee is nowhere near the megalopolis that Atlanta has sprawled into.

At the risk of threadjacking this Atlanta thread (even though they stole the Braves from Milwaukee in 1965), Miller Park is still well within the Milwaukee city limits. It's about 3-4 miles from downtown. I grew up 3 miles away from the old Milwaukee County Stadium even further from downtown and I was still in the city. And Milwaukee is nowhere near the megalopolis that Atlanta has sprawled into.
I think a few Miller Park comments won't threadjack, but may show that a non-downtown park doesn't necessarily mean a diminished ballpark experience. Even though Miller Park is well outside the downtown, would you say that you still enjoy the Miller Park experience?

The two ballparks I've attended the most games at are Fenway and Miller. One is a quintessential city ballpark, the other (even though it's technically in the city) has a much more suburban feel. In some ways that are unique to the more suburban ballpark (ease of getting in-and-out, more parking, tailgating, cheaper) the Miller experience is a better than Fenway.

I think a few Miller Park comments won't threadjack, but may show that a non-downtown park doesn't necessarily mean a diminished ballpark experience. Even though Miller Park is well outside the downtown, would you say that you still enjoy the Miller Park experience?

The two ballparks I've attended the most games at are Fenway and Miller. One is a quintessential city ballpark, the other (even though it's technically in the city) has a much more suburban feel. In some ways that are unique to the more suburban ballpark (ease of getting in-and-out, more parking, tailgating, cheaper) the Miller experience is a better than Fenway.
I don't think the ballpark experience is necessarily diminished but a ballpark like Miller probably delivers fewer economic benefits to the host city. You only need to walk a few blocks from Petco or AT&T or Camden Yards to see how the stadium has been a catalyst for urban renewal.

Based on what I've read, this never happened around Turner Field for multiple reasons. It remains to be seen how it will work out in Cobb County. I think it's going to be tougher to do in the suburbs because it lacks the proximity to businesses and transportation. A lot of SF Giants fans come from the suburbs. They work in the City by day, grab dinner and walk or take the streetcar to the ballpark in time for first pitch. It doesn't sound like that's going to be easily accomplished at the Braves' new ballpark. I haven't spent much time in Atlanta but it seems like there are pockets of businesses distributed across the metro area.

The current baseball experience at and around Turner Field sucks. There's nothing around it. No bars, restaurants, anything. If the Braves actually move and can build up a lively area around the new stadium, then great. However, traffic is gonna suck balls.

Its been years since I lived in the Atlanta area, but I am surprised that they think Cobb county will be better, traffic-wise. Anybody who works downtown/midtown will never make it to games on time, unless they leave work early.
traffic will be a wash. It's crappy now, it will be crappy at the new location. Where the braves make out: increased revenue from parking around the stadium, tickets, concessions, and whatever mixed-use buildings they construct on the 60-acre plot.
I don't know -- Absent Braves traffic, I feel like the 285/75 intersection is at least as bad as the connector/20 traffic on a normal rush hour day, if not worse. At least the connector has 8 lanes each way to handle all the cars. It's going to be a nightmare up there on gamedays.

I would hate to have to commute to Marietta from downtown. What would the expected time for that be? 2+ hours?
now imagine coming up from clayton or Henry County for a braves game. Even Gwinnett will be a nightmare as the northern arc of 285 is a ####### mess at rush hour as it is.

When Kassim Reid took office Atlanta had 4 pro teams in the city. When he leaves they'll be two unless they move the hawks to mexico city or something,

YES!

There's also a K mart in Jonesboro on Tara Blvd.

YES!

The good news? Doraville is EXPANDING, baby! http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/strip-club-annexation-sparks-uproar-doraville/nS98Y/

Doraville is getting its first strip club, through annexation, and some residents fear the action will open the door for more to set up shop because of a move the city council is scheduled to make Monday night.

Starting Jan. 1, Doraville's city limits will expand along Tilly Mill Road to Peachtree Industrial Boulevard to include a strip mall and a strip club across the street. It's the strip club causing the controversy.

"I own a home here. I don't want it," Doraville resident Diane Griffith said.

"It doesn't bring the right crowd, but at same time, it does bring profit to the city," added Adam McDougal, another resident.

This will be the first strip club in the city limits. There are a couple of clubs on Buford Highway in unincorporated DeKalb County, but this would be the first in Doraville. As a result, the city is taking a closer look at its sex-oriented business laws.

That originally included a license fee of $5,000 but Monday night, the city council lowered it to $350.
You can't make this stuff up.

I'm all for it. The braves need a smaller stadium....the majority of ticket holders live closer to that area....its only 9 miles from downtown and dealing with downtown at rush hour with I20 & 185/75 & and everything else coming together right on top of the old location which is surrounded by nothing....NOTHING. empty lots run by sketchy people. With the proposed build up around the stadium in Cobb it will be a boon for the braves from a business angle. They would have to spend 150 million in the next 3 years at turner field for seats, etc....or 200 million for a new stadium that they control from the beginning.

on the other side...i hate our need to build new stadiums and tear down old ones. turner field is so young....its so wasteful. and moving to the burbs is terrible , but necessary when the city hasn't done anything to make the area around TF a thriving center.

YES!

Don't forget the oil and gas storage and distribution tanks and the railroad tracks.

Here come the Braves, Cobb County, now bend over: http://deadspin.com/heres-how-cobb-county-will-pay-for-the-braves-ballpar-1464404976?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

The county will finance the remaining $276 million by issuing revenue bonds. As for repaying those bonds, here are the bullet points. Remember, each figure is the annual cost over 30 years.

• $400,000 from a new rental car tax.
  • $940,000 from the existing hotel/motel tax.
  • $2,740,000 from a new hotel/motel fee in the Cumberland CID.
  • $5,150,000 from a property tax increase in the CID.
  • $8,670,000 in relocation of existing Cobb County property taxes.
If you're against publicly financed stadiums (and you ought to be), that last one is startling. While the majority of Cobb County residents won't be paying any additional taxes to fund the Braves' stadium, a large amount of their existing tax payments will cover for the costs. That's $8.67 million a year, for 30 years, that Cobb County could spend on other things (say, rehiring all those teachers) but will instead use to build a ballpark.

Also very much important: Because there are no new taxes here outside of the self-taxing CID, the County Commission can approve the proposal without a countywide referendum. Cobb County residents will cover nearly half of the Braves' ballpark without getting to vote on it.

Here come the Braves, Cobb County, now bend over: http://deadspin.com/heres-how-cobb-county-will-pay-for-the-braves-ballpar-1464404976?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

The county will finance the remaining $276 million by issuing revenue bonds. As for repaying those bonds, here are the bullet points. Remember, each figure is the annual cost over 30 years.

• $400,000 from a new rental car tax.
  • $940,000 from the existing hotel/motel tax.
  • $2,740,000 from a new hotel/motel fee in the Cumberland CID.
  • $5,150,000 from a property tax increase in the CID.
  • $8,670,000 in relocation of existing Cobb County property taxes.
If you're against publicly financed stadiums (and you ought to be), that last one is startling. While the majority of Cobb County residents won't be paying any additional taxes to fund the Braves' stadium, a large amount of their existing tax payments will cover for the costs. That's $8.67 million a year, for 30 years, that Cobb County could spend on other things (say, rehiring all those teachers) but will instead use to build a ballpark.

Also very much important: Because there are no new taxes here outside of the self-taxing CID, the County Commission can approve the proposal without a countywide referendum. Cobb County residents will cover nearly half of the Braves' ballpark without getting to vote on it.
So instead of spending this 8.6 million a year on, I don't know Cops, Firemen, road improvements etc; they will spend it on building a stadium that the Braves will probably bail on in 20 years?

Great

YES!

The good news? Doraville is EXPANDING, baby! http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/strip-club-annexation-sparks-uproar-doraville/nS98Y/

Doraville is getting its first strip club, through annexation, and some residents fear the action will open the door for more to set up shop because of a move the city council is scheduled to make Monday night.

Starting Jan. 1, Doraville's city limits will expand along Tilly Mill Road to Peachtree Industrial Boulevard to include a strip mall and a strip club across the street. It's the strip club causing the controversy.

"I own a home here. I don't want it," Doraville resident Diane Griffith said.

"It doesn't bring the right crowd, but at same time, it does bring profit to the city," added Adam McDougal, another resident.

This will be the first strip club in the city limits. There are a couple of clubs on Buford Highway in unincorporated DeKalb County, but this would be the first in Doraville. As a result, the city is taking a closer look at its sex-oriented business laws.

That originally included a license fee of $5,000 but Monday night, the city council lowered it to $350.
You can't make this stuff up.
I was getting ready to to call :bs: on this article. Shooter Alley is in Doraville no matter what kind of gerrymandering they're trying to pull here. I'm not saying I have been to Shooter Alley. Wait, yes I am. :makeitrain:

Users who are viewing this thread