What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking - Kareem Hunt RELEASED and unclaimed (2 Viewers)

I think that industry in general is far over-paid. It's entertainment, and it generates a lot of money, so it is what it is. But at the end of the day, they play a game. 

Bryce Harper rejected a 300 million dollar contract offer from the Nationals. I'm all about everyone maximizing their profit with their careers or businesses, but at what point is enough money enough? That's all. 
The only reason everyone is overpaid is they have convinced everyone that a $500 day to take a family to a game is money well spent.  Look at all the adults out there wearing jersey's.  People are hooked because of whatever reason and when you hook people you can charge anything

I think that industry in general is far over-paid. It's entertainment, and it generates a lot of money, so it is what it is. But at the end of the day, they play a game. 

Bryce Harper rejected a 300 million dollar contract offer from the Nationals. I'm all about everyone maximizing their profit with their careers or businesses, but at what point is enough money enough? That's all. 
The money generated has to go somewhere.  Just don't see how it makes more sense for the owners to get it all.

Depends on one's level of greed.  Plenty of billionaires that still want more.  

The money generated has to go somewhere.  Just don't see how it makes more sense for the owners to get it all.
I understand. I'm not advocating for the owners to get it all. They collectively bargain their share (the players), and it is what it is. I just think the whole industry is bonkers. But as mentioned above your post... as long as people spend $500 a game and tune in on TV the profits will be there. 

They're also risking their long-term health every time they play or practice so at the end of the day, at least in the NFL, it's more than just a game.

But that's how a lot of people think. They hate on players that they wish they were but never have a problem with the overlords that actually run this league.

They're also risking their long-term health every time they play or practice so at the end of the day, at least in the NFL, it's more than just a game.
It's a game. It's entertainment. Lots of people risk long term health every time they show up to work. Many people risk death. They aren't millionaires or  hundred-thousand-aires. It's a job. We all choose our professions and we do so by weighing the pros and cons of the profession we chose as well as our personal interests and skills. These guys chose the NFL. I don't have any sympathy for their long term health problems. They're choosing to do what they do. 

But that's how a lot of people think. They hate on players that they wish they were but never have a problem with the overlords that actually run this league.
My complaint is with the size of the industry's pie, not how they divvy it up.

ETA: I understand the players are the ones performing on the field, so they deserve a large piece of the pie. Believe me, I believe this in my own profession as well. I just think the overall pie should be lower for entertainers. 

I realize this is way off topic. So I will digress. 

Last edited by a moderator:
what % profit does Kraft take home from the Patriots every year, do you know ?

80% of the profits only leaving 20% for players salaries?   40%  ?  20%  ?

I don't know, I'm asking ..... but "owners to get it all" ??? Owners get it all?   really ?

It's a game. It's entertainment. Lots of people risk long term health every time they show up to work. Many people risk death. They aren't millionaires or  hundred-thousand-aires. It's a job. We all choose our professions and we do so by weighing the pros and cons of the profession we chose as well as our personal interests and skills. These guys chose the NFL. I don't have any sympathy for their long term health problems. They're choosing to do what they do. 

ETA: I understand the players are the ones performing on the field, so they deserve a large piece of the pie. Believe me, I believe this in my own profession as well. I just think the overall pie should be lower for entertainers. 

Whether you have sympathy or not doesn’t matter. It’s still more than a game when you’re risking your health like they are.

Dr. Dan said:
I don't justify what he did. I think it's sensationalized in general (people are acting like he sent her to the ICU or that he threw her into a basket full of puppies and set the basket on fire), but at the end of the day he did exhibit violence toward her, which is unacceptable. To never play again... I couldn't care less. These guys play a child's game and make a sickening amount of money to do it; they are entertainers... over-paid entertainers. I won't watch a movie that doesn't entertain me, and I won't watch a football game that doesn't entertain me. I've had a much more pleasant experience watching games after disconnecting myself from caring so much about what the outcome of the game is. So I don't care if these guys play again or not. They have an opportunity to make a lot of money playing a game, and if they want to squander that, then that is their choice and I'd be right next to msommer, playing the world's second smallest violin

At the end of the day, the NFL has an image to uphold. I don't believe for a second that they have some high moral high ground they want to take with these cases. They don't want people to look at the NFL as a bunch of thugs beating women/children, doing drugs, and fighting dogs. As long as you aren't doing it while employed by the NFL, you're good. As long as you don't have a video that invokes outrage, you're good. That's ridiculous. But it's reality, and I think we all can agree on that. 

I agree, however, that one mistake shouldn't mean that someone's career is over. Serve your punishment and go from there. Hunt has more than just 1 mistake we are now learning, so maybe he needs some help with anger issues. Maybe he's a misguided young adult that really just needs direction in his life. Maybe this is his wake up call. If he takes that call to heart, does the NFL tell him, "sorry, too little too late?" Hunt should serve his punishment and then see what his options are (and for his sake I hope he has options... I'll repeat again, I own zero stock in Kareem Hunt)
When did pro football become a child's game?

Dr. Dan said:

Not sure what the significance is of categorizing an NFL career as a game or a job, but I see you've got your bases covered.

The size of the pie is simple Econ 101 supply and demand.  Sure it'd be swell if they charged only $20 for tickets that they can sell out of @ $200, but that's not how it works.

As for the entertainment stuff, I can tell you that seeing the rough shape some of these former players are in at 50 and 60 years old makes me feel pretty guilty knowing that they inflicted this longterm damage upon themselves for my entertainment.  Impaired cognitive function, joints that are shot, chronic headaches, dementia -- the stories are awful.  Not sure why "this is what they signed up for" and feeling sympathetic are mutually exclusive.

no, health risks are much less for obvious reasons and don't require hours and hours of training for injury prevention and to maintain their ability.
I disagree. Injury risks are just as high for any level of football. if not maybe even higher at a young age as those kids are often not taught the correct way to tackle. 

What about Texas high school football? college? at what point is it no longer a game

Dr. Dan said:

but this is logically ridiculous.

I mean, I'd love for teachers to be paid more than Aaron Rodgers, but if a classroom has 20 students, each student would have to functionally pay $1M to that teacher in order to pay that salary.

If every person who watched any part of a Packers game this season gave Aaron Rodgers $.01, he'd still make a few million dollars. If it were $.01 for each game? He'd get a massive raise.

but this is logically ridiculous.

I mean, I'd love for teachers to be paid more than Aaron Rodgers, but if a classroom has 20 students, each student would have to functionally pay $1M to that teacher in order to pay that salary.

If every person who watched any part of a Packers game this season gave Aaron Rodgers $.01, he'd still make a few million dollars. If it were $.01 for each game? He'd get a massive raise.
I understand, and I agree, it's ridiculously unrealistic. Ultimately it comes down to the consumers driving the market. It is what it is. It's one of the several reasons (but not the biggest) as to why I just don't care anymore about it. If it's a great game and fun to watch I'll watch but I couldn't care less in general. Like the NO/KC game... that was awesome and I didn't mind being tired the next day because of it. But I don't feel obligated to watch every week, and to schedule my day around it. So many people do. I was on vacation with my family earlier this fall and on one of the shuttle buses to the parks a guy was wearing his NFL team's shirt (I won't say what team because those fans are super sensitive/defensive it seems), and another gentleman started talking with him about the tough loss the day before (he was a fan as well). I was surprised to hear one guy mention that he hasn't missed a game ever in his life, and he actually made an effort to watch as much of the game as he could the day before... on an expensive vacation with his wife and young child. To me, that's insane. But it's one reason why the NFL is worth billions, and its athletes get paid millions; people care way too much. 

I understand, and I agree, it's ridiculously unrealistic. Ultimately it comes down to the consumers driving the market. It is what it is. It's one of the several reasons (but not the biggest) as to why I just don't care anymore about it. If it's a great game and fun to watch I'll watch but I couldn't care less in general. Like the NO/KC game... that was awesome and I didn't mind being tired the next day because of it. But I don't feel obligated to watch every week, and to schedule my day around it. So many people do. I was on vacation with my family earlier this fall and on one of the shuttle buses to the parks a guy was wearing his NFL team's shirt (I won't say what team because those fans are super sensitive/defensive it seems), and another gentleman started talking with him about the tough loss the day before (he was a fan as well). I was surprised to hear one guy mention that he hasn't missed a game ever in his life, and he actually made an effort to watch as much of the game as he could the day before... on an expensive vacation with his wife and young child. To me, that's insane. But it's one reason why the NFL is worth billions, and its athletes get paid millions; people care way too much. 
yet you have over 10K posts on a Football site...

yet you have over 10K posts on a Fantasy Football site...
fixed. I play fantasy football, and this website gives me an edge. I was very close to giving it up, but the honest answer is I keep winning money in my leagues, so why would I stop? 

fixed. I play fantasy football, and this website gives me an edge. I was very close to giving it up, but the honest answer is I keep winning money in my leagues, so why would I stop? 
and you only watch a few games since you don't care.. okay

and you only watch a few games since you don't care.. okay
I know this may be hard for you to believe, but it is possible to play fantasy football and not watch the games nor care about the outcome. I don't care if my local team wins. I like it when my guys score points. I'll get alerts on my phone when my guys score points, but I've found it's really not worth watching games that I have players going, or even to follow the play by play on my phone. It tends to be frustrating. Monday morning my score will be the same as it is if I follow the games or don't follow the games. I may watch highlights, and I especially find interest in watching injury replays. I spend way more time on here, as you pointed out, and that gives me an edge. There are numerous incredibly intelligent posters on here that are way more helpful than anything I'd see on TV. 

I think I've watched 2 full packer games this year. One was because I was at a friend's house, so you're kind of stuck unless you want to be rude and leave at halftime. 

I've found my approach to the NFL has allowed me to be more interested in Fantasy Football, and to get more enjoyment out of it, rather than being grouchy for a day because my NFL team lost, or my fantasy team had a TD vultured or whatever. Had I continued to care so much, I think I would have given up on fantasy football a long time ago. I don't want to be one of those dads who wastes half or all of the daylight on a Sunday watching football, and if his team loses, better stay away from him for the day. 

I disagree. Injury risks are just as high for any level of football. if not maybe even higher at a young age as those kids are often not taught the correct way to tackle. 

What about Texas high school football? college? at what point is it no longer a game
I don’t think injury risk is the same but this is their livelihood in the nfl. Players are spendings countless hours of training to stay relevant. It’s not just a game even if playing on Sunday is prob pretty fun mostly.

I know this may be hard for you to believe, but it is possible to play fantasy football and not watch the games nor care about the outcome. I don't care if my local team wins. I like it when my guys score points. I'll get alerts on my phone when my guys score points, but I've found it's really not worth watching games that I have players going, or even to follow the play by play on my phone. It tends to be frustrating. Monday morning my score will be the same as it is if I follow the games or don't follow the games. I may watch highlights, and I especially find interest in watching injury replays. I spend way more time on here, as you pointed out, and that gives me an edge. There are numerous incredibly intelligent posters on here that are way more helpful than anything I'd see on TV.
Same boat here. I usually watch the Sunday night (tend to be good match-ups) and Monday night games if there are relevant fantasy players, but until we go to a 3-day weekend I can't justify burning an entire Sunday in front of a TV. Even in the post season I largely skip the wildcard weekend.

Fully agree with the bolded above. No real need to watch the games for fantasy purposes.

On board with your last sentence as well... some incredibly detailed and well-thought-out nuggets in the Shark Pool... you may feel like Andy Dufresne crawling to freedom to find them, but they're in here.

I don't see how anyone can really have any kind of continued success at fantasy football if they don't actually watch the games. Otherwise just seems box score scouting sheep.

I don't see how anyone can really have any kind of continued success at fantasy football if they don't actually watch the games. Otherwise just seems box score scouting sheep.
I think it's relying a lot on people I value in here to watch games for me and report back. :)  The amount of time I spend on here is probably not far off from watching a game on Sunday, but I find the forum way more useful. Sometimes alternative points of view are more constructive than just your own eye ball test

The last 3-4 years I've progressively watched less football yet this year I'm having my most successful year so far (most leagues I've ever been in and having success in those, and made it to the end in the subscriber contest for the first time)

If you watch all the games, I'd expect you to be jobless and without family?

I prefer a job, a family, a life.

eta - and I do quite well in magic football.

Same boat here. I usually watch the Sunday night (tend to be good match-ups) and Monday night games if there are relevant fantasy players, but until we go to a 3-day weekend I can't justify burning an entire Sunday in front of a TV. Even in the post season I largely skip the wildcard weekend.

Fully agree with the bolded above. No real need to watch the games for fantasy purposes.

On board with your last sentence as well... some incredibly detailed and well-thought-out nuggets in the Shark Pool... you may feel like Andy Dufresne crawling to freedom to find them, but they're in here.
Night games I am much more likely to watch. I'm with you 100% on what you've said

If you watch all the games, I'd expect you to be jobless and without family?

I prefer a job, a family, a life.

eta - and I do quite well in magic football.
We've reached the point were a guy with over 2800 posts on a fantasy football message board is indicating if you watch football you have no job, family or life.

We've reached the point were a guy with over 2800 posts on a fantasy football message board is indicating if you watch football you have no job, family or life.
As opposed to the guy who says if you don't watch football you can't be good at fantasy football? 

It's possible. You should give it a try. You might find more enjoyment as a whole. 

Some people wake up and read the national news, business journals, facebook, whatever. I wake up and I read the forum and e-mail updates with my coffee. Lunch/break at work, I read the forums. Later in the evening I catch up on any news that came out during the afternoon. Yes, I comment on some things, but it takes me less time to read and post in an online forum than it does to watch 3, 6, 9 hours of football. 

Can and do... 26 yrs and counting.

I think it's relying a lot on people I value in here to watch games for me and report back. :)  The amount of time I spend on here is probably not far off from watching a game on Sunday, but I find the forum way more useful. Sometimes alternative points of view are more constructive than just your own eye ball test

The last 3-4 years I've progressively watched less football yet this year I'm having my most successful year so far (most leagues I've ever been in and having success in those, and made it to the end in the subscriber contest for the first time)
Fair enough but I know I'm worse at this when I don't watch the games and rely on the opinion of others.

We could not be more opposite it appears in why we play this game.  Even if not needing to watch made me the best fantasy football player who ever walked the earth I'd have no passion or interest if I was not actually consuming the games. I do put in a lot of time and work on this hobby and the  financial winnings justify the means but the reason I do it is because I love to watch football and fantasy football gave me that reason to care about every game.

In my house I refer to NFL Sunday as NFL Sunday Holiday and it comes at most 16 times a year.   Think about it, Sunday games run about 6.5 hours in total and at most it's 16 times a year. That's not a huge commitment to time.

Now I watch prime time games live next to never, which I know for some people is odd. I record them all which provides benefit of not needing to take nearly as much time to watch the games but most of all allows me to spend Sunday/Monday nights with family and watch at my own leisure when they go to bed.

I just know for me watching makes me better but most of all it is something I enjoy and cherish because the off-season is long and dull for me and it's only gotten worse as I've gotten older and have become less of an sports fan and more of a football fan.

Fair enough but I know I'm worse at this when I don't watch the games and rely on the opinion of others.

We could not be more opposite it appears in why we play this game.  Even if not needing to watch made me the best fantasy football player who ever walked the earth I'd have no passion or interest if I was not actually consuming the games. I do put in a lot of time and work on this hobby and the  financial winnings justify the means but the reason I do it is because I love to watch football and fantasy football gave me that reason to care about every game.

In my house I refer to NFL Sunday as NFL Sunday Holiday and it comes at most 16 times a year.   Think about it, Sunday games run about 6.5 hours in total and at most it's 16 times a year. That's not a huge commitment to time.

Now I watch prime time games live next to never, which I know for some people is odd. I record them all which provides benefit of not needing to take nearly as much time to watch the games but most of all allows me to spend Sunday/Monday nights with family and watch at my own leisure when they go to bed.

I just know for me watching makes me better but most of all it is something I enjoy and cherish because the off-season is long and dull for me and it's only gotten worse as I've gotten older and have become less of an sports fan and more of a football fan.
I find others' opinions to be very helpful, even if it's just to validate what I originally thought, but you have to consider the source; there are some posters I don't value at all. You happen to be one who I will read and considerably weigh your opinion. There are many others. Some frequent posters I highly disagree with, so it just strengthens my own opinion. 

I'm not saying watching games is wrong or a waste of time, it's just not for me and I can't justify that time. I have done it, and found I was more unhappy when watching my team or players play terribly, especially when I have money and time invested. Having young kids and busy weekday lives has made me value that time more for them and to get projects done. It's given me more happiness and allowed me to enjoy fantasy football. To each their own is what I say. 

Now I watch prime time games live next to never, which I know for some people is odd. I record them all which provides benefit of not needing to take nearly as much time to watch the games 
I've started doing this too. I can't handle all of the commercials and challenge replays, etc that I just watch the game in about an hour and still miss basically nothing. I also don't need to see the replay and listen to Boog and Wit and Tess talking either.

I still enjoy going out to the bars with couple buddies to watch all the games on Sunday’s....maybe 2-3 times a year, otherwise I’m at home watching my local game on my iPad while doing chores around the house(and even then it’s usually just background noise)

No way my wife would put up with it being an every Sunday thing(ironically enough, before kids, we used to spend every Sunday at the bar, watching football together).  Every now and then I hear her say she misses those days 

I've started doing this too. I can't handle all of the commercials and challenge replays, etc that I just watch the game in about an hour and still miss basically nothing. I also don't need to see the replay and listen to Boog and Wit and Tess talking either.
I prefer watching the Colts on NFL Sunday Ticket, then when a commercial comes on switch to the Red Zone Channel. 

I prefer watching the Colts on NFL Sunday Ticket, then when a commercial comes on switch to the Red Zone Channel. 
I'm talking about just the one nationally televised game when there is no Red Zone. TNF, SNF or MNF. For the regular games on Sunday I only watch RZ now.

Yea I see I looked at the wrong number but the real number only further drives my point. 
What point is that.. I think you are missing another variable in your equation.

eta - hint: i average 4 posts a day if I round up aggressively.  So about 60-120 seconds a day posting like this.

@menobrown

I wasn't assuming you were jobless and without a life.  I was pointing out how silly your claim was that you watch all the games, and that it means anything relative to FF.

What point is that.. I think you are missing another variable in your equation.

eta - hint: i average 4 posts a day if I round up aggressively.  So about 60-120 seconds a day posting like this.
If only your quality posts average was that high...

;)

Users who are viewing this thread