What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Breaking News 6/15: Suspension for Martavis Bryant Coming? (1 Viewer)

Djackson10:  Whatever happened to just declining without having to have a discussion?  You can’t dictate to other owners what kind of trades they must make.  The point to trading is to get the best possible deal for your team, not ensure every offer is roughly 50/50.  If you don’t want offers there is nothing wrong with what you did in telling him not to offer you trades anymore, but it is ridiculous to think you can vote someone out of the league for making bad offers.  If newbie owners are getting taken on a regular basis then veto the obvious horrible  deal.  You know it when you see it.  Having said that, leagues shouldn’t veto trades just because they aren’t even.
I'm all for having a reasonable discussion but don't send me terrible one sided offers. I should explain this a little better but this guy has a storied explanation why this trade is good for you every offer he sends. A few people have told him if you need to write an explanation for it unless it's some out of the box idea then it's probably not a great trade to being with for said person you are offering it too. We do veto the obvious deals. However this person is having at it with the Commissioner because he feels he has carte blanche on the entire league. I think we are realizing why he wasn't liked in his other leagues he played in years ago. If you don't like how the league works become a commissioner and make your own league. Don't make life difficult for us because you are turning a league that was suppose to be fun into a high school drama hour because you've been called out for some pretty bad tactics. I'm all for reasonable discussions however theres a tab listed for untouchables for a reason. I don't want to trade those guys. I've already told him 3 times I'm not trading Melvin Gordon or Carson Wentz. Despite that he's tried to send me offers where he totally overvalues his players and wants me to give up the higher pick? Sorry but trying to trade me Eric Ebron who's hurt each week is not worth me giving up one of these two guys plus the higher pick. Especially when 1 or 2 weeks later he ends up releasing the player he wanted to trade me. 

Our Veto is there to keep things fair in our league. We aren't expecting 50/50 down the middle but don't be accepting trades for a B level player where you give up your keeper picks for the dude. That's how guys stock up and become powerhouses then use those picks to get more keepers and give their old keepers away for more keeper picks. Use some common sense. Yeah I know some of the guys I play with would probably never last in one of the leagues here. I'd rather play in a competitive league with somewhat professionals who don't act like children. It's why I'm trying to find a league here and maybe get out of that league plus I don't know how much longer that league will be there for. 

That makes more sense reading his but I'm a little confused on one part. If he's in a program already and was traded and missed a test because of it, was that because he has to go to some other testing facility because he was traded? I don't know where or who they do the test but it makes sense they wouldn't have to travel out of town for it. Would this failed thing be similar to changing companies and your new office not getting all your paperwork for the transfer or what have you? 

In other news, the NFLPA warned players to not use Trident Creatine, product contains two banned substances not listed on the ingredients according to two independent laboratories. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In other news, the NFLPA warned players to not use Trident Creatine, product contains two banned substances not listed on the ingredients according to two independent laboratories. 
Kind of feel bad for these guys. It must be hard watching every little thing that you might ingest, or having a prescription that you have to get a waiver for. Could you imagine if you had to clear it with work before you could take a prescribed medication, and that 1) they could deny you the right and 2) if you took it you could be fired as well as 3) if you get clearance, the paperwork may get messed up anyway and it gets flagged. 

Kind of feel bad for these guys. It must be hard watching every little thing that you might ingest, or having a prescription that you have to get a waiver for. Could you imagine if you had to clear it with work before you could take a prescribed medication, and that 1) they could deny you the right and 2) if you took it you could be fired as well as 3) if you get clearance, the paperwork may get messed up anyway and it gets flagged. 
These guys are making bank. Being super careful and vigilant for the few years that the average NFL career entails just seems part of the job. I do agree that substances that are added, changed, etc. to the list of banned substances is something that is hard to keep up on, and even then not foolproof in terms of accidental ingestion, but these guys should know what they are signing up for.

Thanks for the read, @DJackson10 -- agree that Occam's Razor points to a logistical issue than an infraction leading to suspension. But until we hear differently, I'm going to be on eggshells.

We seem to be on the verge of having a viable 3-deep WR set that may not be best in the league, but has the right talent and ability top to bottom. Without Bryant as that 3rd WR (even though there are still plenty of questions whether he can elevate his game accordingly, with or without this infraction news), we suddenly seem way more precarious and thin in terms of depth, playmaking ability, and even playbook creativity for our passing game.

Love when the NFL does this. If he’s going to get a year long I’m done with him. Instead I have to keep him on my rosters until they finally stop sitting on their hands and make an announcement. What a terribly run organization.

These guys are making bank. Being super careful and vigilant for the few years that the average NFL career entails just seems part of the job. I do agree that substances that are added, changed, etc. to the list of banned substances is something that is hard to keep up on, and even then not foolproof in terms of accidental ingestion, but these guys should know what they are signing up for.

Thanks for the read, @DJackson10 -- agree that Occam's Razor points to a logistical issue than an infraction leading to suspension. But until we hear differently, I'm going to be on eggshells.

We seem to be on the verge of having a viable 3-deep WR set that may not be best in the league, but has the right talent and ability top to bottom. Without Bryant as that 3rd WR (even though there are still plenty of questions whether he can elevate his game accordingly, with or without this infraction news), we suddenly seem way more precarious and thin in terms of depth, playmaking ability, and even playbook creativity for our passing game.
Yes they get paid well, but so do lots of jobs, and if you have an adderall prescription or something chances are they aren’t firing you for taking it. Granted the nfl has peds to screen for but some of the stuff is ridiculous. I suppose the “all or nothing” attitude the nfl takes is archaic. Give a reasonable level that may be present that takes out some of the margin for error, and a lot of non issues would be resolved without ruining the integrity of the game. I’m trying to remember the specifics but someone got flagged recently for having “unknown substances” in his system (may have been another pro sport.) 

Yes they get paid well, but so do lots of jobs, and if you have an adderall prescription or something chances are they aren’t firing you for taking it. Granted the nfl has peds to screen for but some of the stuff is ridiculous. I suppose the “all or nothing” attitude the nfl takes is archaic. Give a reasonable level that may be present that takes out some of the margin for error, and a lot of non issues would be resolved without ruining the integrity of the game. I’m trying to remember the specifics but someone got flagged recently for having “unknown substances” in his system (may have been another pro sport.) 
Allegedly Edelman

Last edited by a moderator:
I fixed my post.  Hope that is more to your liking.
I had no problem with your post but thanks. I was just trying to emphasize that Edelman is only one making this claim and we don't know if it's true but it often gets tossed around like it's fact.

Snorkelson said:
What do you base this on?  Can you provide any concrete information saying that what they ban does in no way enhance an athlete's performance?

Talk about a boom or bust kind of player. I mean, the Pack letting Nelson walk tells you what you need to know there.

Tremendous upside. I'll make an effort to stash him as my WR4 if possible. You never know. The talent is certainly there.

The Athletic's Vic Tafur reports that "as of Wednesday" Martavis Bryant had not been notified of a pending suspension.

Tafur also reports that Bryant "did not fail a drug test or miss a test for that matter." The report that the Raiders were fearing a suspension was from extremely reliable beat writer Michael Gehlken. Clearly something is afoot, but no one knows what. Tafur does report he caught wind of a similar report "a couple of months ago" that ended up getting killed. There was apparently a "complication" with one of Bryant's tests that was "cleared up when Bryant visited the NFL offices." It does not appear that and this are related, however. As always with Bryant, sit tight.

Appears to be much to do about nothing, to me.  
I read that article about Bryant yesterday and I'd not go so far as to say it's much ado about nothing. I'd instead look at in terms of he's got a fighting chance to not get suspended, it's far from a done deal with this being the most positive line I read from that piece yesterday: " I am told there was a similar story a couple of months ago (I don’t know who the reporter was) that was killed because it turned out that there was a complication that was cleared up when Bryant visited the NFL offices."

I read that article about Bryant yesterday and I'd not go so far as to say it's much ado about nothing. I'd instead look at in terms of he's got a fighting chance to not get suspended, it's far from a done deal with this being the most positive line I read from that piece yesterday: " I am told there was a similar story a couple of months ago (I don’t know who the reporter was) that was killed because it turned out that there was a complication that was cleared up when Bryant visited the NFL offices."
That is actually the part that worries me.

If he botched the procedure once and got a pass from the office, having a second procedural issue come up a month later is a red flag for his attention to detail, and may (in the view of the league office) merit a wake-up call.

Of course, this assumes the article is actually correct.  Everyone is going, by necessity, on inference, rumor and conjecture right now.

If he botched the procedure once and got a pass from the office, having a second procedural issue come up a month later is a red flag for his attention to detail, and may (in the view of the league office) merit a wake-up call.

Of course, this assumes the article is actually correct.  Everyone is going, by necessity, on inference, rumor and conjecture right now.
That's a good and valid point. I was looking at in terms of a reporter had jumped the gun before and might be again but you raise good points.

This also assumes one or both issues were HIS fault.  No reason to assume that.  

Well, aside from most other screw up being the player's fault.   :lol:

That's a good and valid point. I was looking at in terms of a reporter had jumped the gun before and might be again but you raise good points.
...and someone in one of my leagues dropped him to the waiver wire for Ryan Switzer.  Can you say knee jerk?

Users who are viewing this thread