What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brett Favre's year, game by game (2 Viewers)

FlaVVed: Which three games would you say they were out of?
He doesn't have real arguments. His thing is to call anyone who dares say a bad word about Brett Favre a 'hater' and to laugh at valid arguments made as a way of covering up the fact that he has no legitimate responses.
Hmm, here's a real argument, that pigskin refuses to counter:Favre was a problem but not the reason the Packers lost so many games this year. You both keep harping on how they were close in the 4th quarter of every game. Do you think for one second that they would have been in ANY of those games if Aaron Rodgres had been the QB? If you do, you're delusional as well as stupid.

He doesn't have real arguments. His thing is to call anyone who dares say a bad word about Brett Favre a 'hater' and to laugh at valid arguments made as a way of covering up the fact that he has no legitimate responses.
I have made valid points in this thread. The premise of this thread is moronic and thus :lmao: Have you seen some of the gems porkskinlanker came up with? The one that only one play determines the outcomes of games was pricelss.

Anyone trying to blame all the Packers loses on Favre, which the thread starter is trying to do, is a mental midget as I wrote earlier in this thread.

It looks to me that Favre is a large part of the problem, and the surrounding cast isn't so bad!!
Anyone that follows the NFL including the experts we read, see on TV and hear on the radio think that statement is false and they have said so on many occasions.So yes, I will laugh at most of the crap in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, here's a real argument, that pigskin refuses to counter:Favre was a problem but not the reason the Packers lost so many games this year. You both keep harping on how they were close in the 4th quarter of every game. Do you think for one second that they would have been in ANY of those games if Aaron Rodgres had been the QB? If you do, you're delusional as well as stupid.
No way do I think Rodgers would have done better. I do believe (I've only said this multiple times in this thread) that Favre in his day, and multiple other current qb's would have led this team to a much better record. My humble opinion. I'm certainly OK if your's differs from mine. I'm still looking for somebody to show me three games that the Packers were out of this year?

I'm still looking for somebody to show me three games that the Packers were out of this year?
There are only two.Baltimore (for obvious reasons)

Carolina (down by three TDs in the 4th quarter but came close to winning because Favre almost singlehandedly brought them back. But of course that loss was his fault... :rolleyes: )

The Carolina game is a PERFECT example.

Donald Lee misses a weak side blocking assignment on the Packers first possession and lets Rucker run right into Favre and strip him of the ball, giving Carolina possession at the 10. Later in the game, Favre throws a perfect strike to Ferguson on a slant pass. Although the ball is IN FERGUSON'S HANDS, the DB takes it away from him. The only reason they ended up being IN the game at all is becuase Favre brought them back (along with KGB's strip of Delhome)

The only game that can be given to Favre as 'his fault' is the Cincy game. He had a terrible terrible day. Other than that, all the losses were a true team effort. Why is that so hard for you haters to understand?

I'm still looking for somebody to show me three games that the Packers were out of this year?

Carolina (down by three TDs in the 4th quarter but came close to winning because Favre almost singlehandedly brought them back. But of course that loss was his fault... :rolleyes: )

Donald Lee misses a weak side blocking assignment on the Packers first possession and lets Rucker run right into Favre and strip him of the ball, giving Carolina possession at the 10. Later in the game, Favre throws a perfect strike to Ferguson on a slant pass. Although the ball is IN FERGUSON'S HANDS, the DB takes it away from him. The only reason they ended up being IN the game at all is becuase Favre brought them back (along with KGB's strip of Delhome)

The only game that can be given to Favre as 'his fault' is the Cincy game. He had a terrible terrible day. Other than that, all the losses were a true team effort. Why is that so hard for you haters to understand?
Why are you calling me a "hater?" I've said I'm a Favre fan. I'm only showing what has happened. All losses, for all teams (in football) cannot be blamed on one person. I'm not pointing the finger saying "these are all Favre's fault." I'm saying that Favre in his prime or multiple other current qb's would have taken this team to a better record. I'm also stating that this team was not "terrible" as they were actually quite competitive.I'm not hating, just stating my opinion. Like I said before; I have no problem with you (or anyone else) having a different opinion, and wouldn't stoop as low as to call somebody with a differing opinion than mine a name.

Edited to Add:

?? How can you say that the Packers weren't in the Carolina game when they got the ball with 2:00 left, down by only three points? I believe this is the definition of "in the game."

The play by play in that drive =

1-10-GB37 (1:58) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass to D.Driver to CAR 48 for 15 yards (M.McCree).

1-10-CAR48 (1:39) (No Huddle) B.Favre pass incomplete to A.Chatman.

2-10-CAR48 (1:36) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass incomplete to D.Martin. Penalty on GB-D.Driver, Illegal Motion, declined.

3-10-CAR48 (1:26) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass to A.Chatman to CAR 41 for 7 yards (R.Manning).

4-3-CAR41 (1:04) (No Huddle) B.Favre pass incomplete to D.Driver.

I'm not saying that this drive or anything in the fourth quarter can be blamed on Favre, but down 3 with the ball, 1:58 left = in the game in my book.

I have made valid points in this thread. The premise of this thread is moronic and thus :lmao: Have you seen some of the gems porkskinlanker came up with? The one that only one play determines the outcomes of games was pricelss.

Anyone trying to blame all the Packers loses on Favre, which the thread starter is trying to do, is a mental midget as I wrote earlier in this thread.
You were the one who said in Post #74 that the Packers were not competitive. I and others disagreed and gave you factual reasons why you were wrong to say that. You have refused to address our comments aside from general comments that refer more to the thread starter's comments about Favre. Why not just admit you were wrong? The Packers were a competitive team this year. Just say it. We all know it to be true.

You are using poor reasoning and it is getting tiresome. Most losing teams are in most of their games every year. And if you take out intereceptions most teams would do better. So you would conclude that all teams need to do is have a bad QB to succeed. Hmm. Also, repeating the rhetorical question of "what three games were the Packers out of in the 4th quarter" is simply stupid. Just plain stupid. Annoying and stupid. I watched most Packer games this year, and Brett Favre is easily the Packers best player. He played great, getting good stats despite the poor surrounding cast. He did throw too many interceptions when the team was losing, though a fair number of them were not his fault. But it takes more than not throwing interceptions to be an NFL QB. Notice that there are college QBs that throw for like 30 TDs and 5 INTs all the time. That isn't because they are better than any NFL QB. Football is a team game. Favre is more mobile than he has been in years. He is as knowledgable as any. He has a Brett arm. He is a great leader. He is simply one of the best QBs in the league still. He needs to learn how to deal with losing better, but that is it.

No way do I think Rodgers would have done better. I do believe (I've only said this multiple times in this thread) that Favre in his day, and multiple other current qb's would have led this team to a much better record. My humble opinion. I'm certainly OK if your's differs from mine. I'm still looking for somebody to show me three games that the Packers were out of this year?

So you would conclude that all teams need to do is have a bad QB to succeed.
Please explain where I've said this, as it has me a bit confused.
Also, repeating the rhetorical question of "what three games were the Packers out of in the 4th quarter" is simply stupid. Just plain stupid. Annoying and stupid.
Why is this "stupid?" I'm trying to show that the Packers were competitive in 15 of 16 games. Suggesting that this TEAM was not as bad as their record. Suggesting that they could have won more games.
He played great, getting good stats despite the poor surrounding cast.
I disagree that Favre had good stats this year.
Notice that there are college QBs that throw for like 30 TDs and 5 INTs all the time. That isn't because they are better than any NFL QB.
This is certainly true!
Football is a team game.
This is certainly true!
Favre is more mobile than he has been in years. He is as knowledgable as any. He has a Brett arm. He is a great leader. He is simply one of the best QBs in the league still.
This is where we disagree. IMHO Brett is less accurate than he's been in the past, and is nowhere near the qb he was just a few years ago. I don't believe he's as prepared going into games, and I don't think he's reading defenses as well as he did in the past. Nobody can do it forever. He WAS the best qb of this era IMHO. Yet, I believe Favre's skills are now diminishing to the point that he is no longer one of the best. This is where we disagree. I'm OK with that.

?? How can you say that the Packers weren't in the Carolina game when they got the ball with 2:00 left, down by only three points? I believe this is the definition of "in the game."
:lmao: Anyone that saw or covered that game including the GB/Mil press stated the Packers were never in that game and that the only reason they made that game close at the end was the play of Favre. :lmao:

Why are you calling me a "hater?" I've said I'm a Favre fan. I'm only showing what has happened. All losses, for all teams (in football) cannot be blamed on one person. I'm not pointing the finger saying "these are all Favre's fault." I'm saying that Favre in his prime or multiple other current qb's would have taken this team to a better record. I'm also stating that this team was not "terrible" as they were actually quite competitive.
Nice backpeddle once again. Your premise of this thread was that Favre was THE reason the Packers lost games. You even wrote someting lame about how often ONLY one play made the difference in a game(pointing the finger to Favre).And again, go ask someone that knows something about the NFL and they will tell you that GB was a terrible team this year. If you pay attention to anyone that covers the NFL, that is exactly what they have been reporting. Oh wait, you think know more than those guys. :lmao:

:lmao: Anyone that saw or covered that game including the GB/Mil press stated the Packers were never in that game and that the only reason they made that game close at the end was the play of Favre. :lmao:
The game was close at the end, and it can certainly be attributed to Favre. YET, how can you say that when your team has the ball on the 37 yard line with 1:58 left in the fourth quarter, down by only three was "never in that game." What is so funny about that statement?

1-10-GB37 (1:58) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass to D.Driver to CAR 48 for 15 yards (M.McCree).

2-10-CAR48 (1:36) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass incomplete to D.Martin. Penalty on GB-D.Driver, Illegal Motion, declined.

3-10-CAR48 (1:26) (Shotgun) B.Favre pass to A.Chatman to CAR 41 for 7 yards (R.Manning).

I'm not saying that this drive or anything in the fourth quarter can be blamed on Favre, but down 3 with the ball, 1:58 left = in the game in my book.
God you're dense. They got the ball with 2:00 left down by three BECAUSE FAVRE BROUGHT THEM BACK.

The score halfway through the 4th quarter-

Carolina 32

Packers 13

That, my friend, is out of the game. How in the world did the Packers ARRIVE at the drive you're so quick to site? Becuase of Favre! He brought them back in a game they were out of. No one (save for Manning) keeps his team in that game.

I also love how you post the stats to the last drive. Where are the two 4th quarter TD drives? Why didn't you post those? Because they prove you are wrong. Simple as that. And to answer your "We just have different opinions" BS, I love how two pages ago you were saying "I'm just posting facts" and now it's about how we have different opinions.

What a joke.

Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel -The Packers were down by 19 points and minus five key starters on offense. The run game was going nowhere. There were gobs of mistakes on routes. They had Brett Favre but little else. Once more, Favre delivered. Calling plays at the line. Sliding away from the rush. Hitting the open man. Taking just enough chances. On the late 90-yard TD drive, Carolina's pass rush intensified. Favre had people in his face almost all the way down the field but willed the team into the end zone. The lone interception wasn't his fault. Ferguson was the better choice on the last play but the pass to Driver probably would have worked if it had been lower with less chance for deflection. A weakness in Favre's game in '05 has been accuracy on the deep ball. Some of his bombs are so flat that receivers have no chance to run underneath them.And this is someone who is known as hyper critical of both Favre and the Packers.This man has forgotten more about football than you will ever know.Now stop before you embarrass yourself some more...

God you're dense. They got the ball with 2:00 left down by three BECAUSE FAVRE BROUGHT THEM BACK. The score halfway through the 4th quarter-

Carolina 32

Packers 13

That, my friend, is out of the game. How in the world did the Packers ARRIVE at the drive you're so quick to site? Becuase of Favre! He brought them back in a game they were out of. No one (save for Manning) keeps his team in that game.

I also love how you post the stats to the last drive. Where are the two 4th quarter TD drives? Why didn't you post those? Because they prove you are wrong. Simple as that. And to answer your "We just have different opinions" BS, I love how two pages ago you were saying "I'm just posting facts" and now it's about how we have different opinions.

What a joke.
I've already agreed that Favre kept them in this game in the second half. I'm simply saying they were in the game. A poll has been posted which can assist us in determining if they were in the game.

?? How can you say that the Packers weren't in the Carolina game when they got the ball with 2:00 left, down by only three points?  I believe this is the definition of "in the game." 

God you're dense. They got the ball with 2:00 left down by three BECAUSE FAVRE BROUGHT THEM BACK. The score halfway through the 4th quarter-

Carolina 32

Packers 13

What a joke.
I've already agreed that Favre kept them in this game in the second half. I'm simply saying they were in the game. A poll has been posted which can assist us in determining if they were in the game.
Oh I see.Your only refuge now is to hide behind semantics.

Have a good weekend.

Carolina 32

Packers 13

What a joke.
Oh I see.Your only refuge now is to hide behind semantics.

Have a good weekend.
What semantics? I asked people to give my three games in which the Packers weren't in this year. You stated that they were never in the Carolina game. I disagreed and stated that they were, and showed that they had the ball with 1:58 left, down by only three. What semantics am I hiding behind?

I await you, or anybody to show three games that they were out of in the fourth quarter? How can this team (not including Favre) be as bad (terrible seems to be the word used most in this thread) as people say and still be IN (within 1 TD in the 4th quarter) 15 Games?
Did it occur to you that maybe they were only in some of these games because of Favre?Why do you think that when GB is down by a TD, the "team" was competitive, but when GB lost, "Favre" didn't get the job done? Maybe it's just the opposite -- Favre made GB competitive, but the team wasn't good enough to get the job done.

You can't give Favre all the blame for his turnovers and none of credit for having so many close games in the first place.

Well, I appreciate the work the initial poster put into this thread. Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions from it but it certainly looks like the Packers could have won several more games had Favre had done a better job of handling the ball.

The big number that sticks out to me is 607. That is a huge number of attempts. Favre easily led the league in that category. I don't know if you ever want your QB slinging it over 600 times, but you especially don't when he's 36 years old. An older QB's arm is going to get tired late in games and late in the season. This happened to Marino in his last couple of seasons. Miami never had a running game while Dan was there but it didn't matter so much, at least in terms of Marino's accuracy, until his last couple of years. Now Green Bay had one of the worst rushing attacks in the NFL in 2005 (30th in yards, 31st in YPA), so it's understandable they would want the ball to be in Favre's hands. But you can't fight the inevitable. You have to make concessions to age and the team didn't do that. They didn't play conservatively enough on offense. That still wouldn't have gotten them enough wins for the playoffs though.

Favre's previous career-high in attempts was 595 in 1999, and 36 years of age is not the time you wanting to be breaking that mark. I saw more Green Bay games than I wanted to this year (I think we all did), and Favre did look like he had some of that magic left in the Monday nighter against the Vikings. His team still lost of course and the other losses I saw showed me Favre can't turn games around single-handedly anymore. I think he could still be a winning QB if accompanied by a solid rushing attack.

I await you, or anybody to show three games that they were out of in the fourth quarter? How can this team (not including Favre) be as bad (terrible seems to be the word used most in this thread) as people say and still be IN (within 1 TD in the 4th quarter) 15 Games?
Did it occur to you that maybe they were only in some of these games because of Favre?Why do you think that when GB is down by a TD, the "team" was competitive, but when GB lost, "Favre" didn't get the job done? Maybe it's just the opposite -- Favre made GB competitive, but the team wasn't good enough to get the job done.

You can't give Favre all the blame for his turnovers and none of credit for having so many close games in the first place.
I fully agree that Favre kept them in many of the games. My point has been that I believe the Favre of old could have taken this team to a better record. Virtually every game (15 of 16) the Packers played was winnable, barring one or two plays in the fourth quarter. The Favre of old made miraculous plays down the stretch, like most great qb's do. I still think Brett is a very good qb. I don't think he is as good as he used to be. I'm also not blaming the losses on Favre, or saying that he's solely to blame for all the turnovers. Brett is a better qb than half of the starters in the league right now = he's still damn good. Yet, in his day he was better than every other qb, and I believe he would have led this team to a better record.

It looks to me that Favre is a large part of the problem, and the surrounding cast isn't so bad!!This was the comment more than anything else, that got my back up. Sorry I was such a SOB last week. But his surrounding cast was non-existent. I'd call that 'bad'.

It looks to me that Favre is a large part of the problem, and the surrounding cast isn't so bad!!

This was the comment more than anything else, that got my back up. Sorry I was such a SOB last week. But his surrounding cast was non-existent. I'd call that 'bad'.
You weren't an SOB, you just had a different opinion than I did, and didn't hesitate to state it. You interpreted my quote above as stating that Favre suxor. That is not true. I still feel he's better than at least half of the starting qb's in the league. Where we differ is that you think his surrounding cast "was non-existent." My point has been pretty consistent, in that the supporting cast couldn't have been that bad, IF the Pack was in that many games. You believe that the only reason the games were close was because of Brett, while I believe the surrounding cast wasn't that bad = they also contributed to them being in the game. This team was very close to having a really good year. It would have taken a great performance at QB to change their season, but I believe it was possible. I simply believe Brett played slightly above average football this season; while you think he is still an elite qb. My point has been that with elite qb play, they would have been better. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bears fan here, and I can say without a doubt that there is nothing that pleases me more than the thought of Favre retiring. No matter what stats you have on him for this year and his INT's and how they cost the Pack games, there are very few people in the league that have single-handedly kept their team in games than Favre. This year? Hard to say. He did not keep his team in two of the games that I watched him play, but neither did the rest of his team. Favre may be the greatest QB of all time (arguable), and though some of his decisions certainly had impact and in many cases may have cost the team a win, he is still the guy who I would want at QB if I were a Packer fan (and consequently the guy who I hope retires as a Bears fan).

Bears fan here, and I can say without a doubt that there is nothing that pleases me more than the thought of Favre retiring. No matter what stats you have on him for this year and his INT's and how they cost the Pack games, there are very few people in the league that have single-handedly kept their team in games than Favre. This year? Hard to say. He did not keep his team in two of the games that I watched him play, but neither did the rest of his team. Favre may be the greatest QB of all time (arguable), and though some of his decisions certainly had impact and in many cases may have cost the team a win, he is still the guy who I would want at QB if I were a Packer fan (and consequently the guy who I hope retires as a Bears fan).
WOW :eek: A Bear fan who is reasonable AND knowledgeable! :shock:

;)

Seriously though.... Damn :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread