What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Flores Sues NYG and NFL for Racial Discrimination (1 Viewer)

JaxBill

Footballguy
Going Scorched Earth

@alexweprin: Oh wow, Brian Flores suing the NFL and NY Giants, alleging racism in hiring. Includes private texts from Bill Belichick https://www.wigdorlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Complaint-against-National-Football-League-et-al-Filed.pdf

@alexweprin: Flores says that Stephen Ross, the owner of the Miami Dolphins, offered to pay him $100,000 for every loss during 2019 season to help the team get a better draft spot. Was mad when they kept winning.

@alexweprin: Flores' suit includes texts from Bill Belichick that appear to show him congratulating him on getting the Giants job, mistakenly believing he was texting Brian Daboll. This was before Flores' interview with the Giants took place.

Going Scorched Earth

@alexweprin: Oh wow, Brian Flores suing the NFL and NY Giants, alleging racism in hiring. Includes private texts from Bill Belichick https://www.wigdorlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Complaint-against-National-Football-League-et-al-Filed.pdf

@alexweprin: Flores says that Stephen Ross, the owner of the Miami Dolphins, offered to pay him $100,000 for every loss during 2019 season to help the team get a better draft spot. Was mad when they kept winning.

@alexweprin: Flores' suit includes texts from Bill Belichick that appear to show him congratulating him on getting the Giants job, mistakenly believing he was texting Brian Daboll. This was before Flores' interview with the Giants took place.
If the $100,000 bounty can be proven, Ross is gone. I think Ross is smart enough not to document the bounty in writing.

Looks like someone has decided he'd rather get a large settlement and NOT coach than fight for another head coaching job.

Not saying black coaches (or Flores in particular) have all been given a fair shake. It would be naive to say there isn't some bias there. No doubt about it. But he's essentially black-balling himself now. Just an insane strategy. Good luck to him.

I was about to say that the Giants are on a great trajectory to reclaim the title of best football team in New Jersey.

Looks like I jumped the gun on that one.
The racism part would be if they hired Daboll before interviewing any minorities. And who hasn't texted the wrong Brian!!!

More dirty laundry:

>>Flores also says when he interviewed for the Broncos head coaching job in 2019, John Elway showed up late and hung over.<<

Going Scorched Earth

Hope he can prove the Ross thing. If not, this is a whole lotta nothing in real life 

Looks like someone has decided he'd rather get a large settlement and NOT coach than fight for another head coaching job.

Not saying black coaches (or Flores in particular) have all been given a fair shake. It would be naive to say there isn't some bias there. No doubt about it. But he's essentially black-balling himself now. Just an insane strategy. Good luck to him.
Yep.  There's some really great salacious material in here, but good luck with your argument about the new GM who decided to hire the guy he just spent four years with on his previous team.

Brian, the one who speaks fluent Spanish:

>>"God has gifted me with a special talent to coach the game of football, but the need for change is bigger than my personal goals. In making the decision to file the class action complaint, I understand that I may be risking coaching the game I love."<<

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1488622324488314880?s=20&t=PvA3jB0jRHqwP0N7-ijNeQ

Brian, the one who speaks fluent Spanish:

>>"God has gifted me with a special talent to coach the game of football, but the need for change is bigger than my personal goals. In making the decision to file the class action complaint, I understand that I may be risking coaching the game I love."<<

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1488622324488314880?s=20&t=PvA3jB0jRHqwP0N7-ijNeQ

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is the fact that he's fluent in Spanish relevant?

(not being snarky. Honestly asking)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.  There's some really great salacious material in here, but good luck with your argument about the new GM who decided to hire the guy he just spent four years with on his previous team.
Well, his argument is that the decision was made prior to his interview and that he was simply used as a "token" interview.  I don't think he's trying to state that the hiring showed overt racism towards Flores, just a deliberate flaunting of the Rooney Rule.

@JordanRaanan: Giants statement: 

“We are pleased and confident with the process that resulted in the hiring of Brian Daboll. We interviewed an impressive and diverse group of candidates. The fact of the matter is, 

(cont …)

@JordanRaanan: … “Brian Flores was in the conversation to be our head coach until the eleventh hour. Ultimately, we hired the individual we felt was most qualified to be our next head coach.”

Well, his argument is that the decision was made prior to his interview and that he was simply used as a "token" interview.  I don't think he's trying to state that the hiring showed overt racism towards Flores, just a deliberate flaunting of the Rooney Rule.
Except they previously interviewed two AAs for the head coaching position. Maybe they decided Daboll was there guy already after his interview. Happens all the time in business.

This shouldn’t shock a single person every since this rule was put in place. 

These guys know who they want within hours of firing a guy. 

The only time a team has ever been fined for violating the Rooney Rule, it came in a very similar situation: Millen wanted to hire Mariucci as Lions coach, everyone knew that, and he wasn't able to get anyone to be a token RR interview.

The only time a team has ever been fined for violating the Rooney Rule, it came in a very similar situation: Millen wanted to hire Mariucci as Lions coach, everyone knew that, and he wasn't able to get anyone to be a token RR interview.
The Giants apparently had 3 token interviews.

Flores just interviewed with the Saints last night in Mobile. It was reported locally as a "dinner interview". Posted on Saintsreport:

"What the he!! happened at dinner last night?!"

Such a tough spot.  I dont see how you prove racism here without any sort of obvious incriminating evidence.

Picking the "best" NFL head coaching candidate isn't like picking the best plumber or the best fry cook. You're selecting from a pool of candidates that all have unique skills, experiences, relationships, philosophies, personalities, strategies, etc.  There's almost no situation where one HC candidate is an objectively better choice than another (in terms of guys that would actually be up for jobs).

That being said.....its gonna look REALLY REALLY bad if Josh McCown actually gets the Texans HC job. 

I don't know if Flores has the goods on the Giants or on Ross, and I don't know if this is a smart move, a brave act of martyrdom, or an act of professional self-anhilation. All I know is that NFL owners are pretty much evil across the board and deserve every bad thing that happens to them. So I say, burn it all down, Brian. BURN IT ALL DOWN!!!!  :hot:   :hot:   :hot:

Well, I think we can rule out Flores for the Texans job, or any job for that matter, but he seemed like the favorite there. 

The Belichick thing is honestly more funny than anything. I've definitely texted the wrong game with the same first name before. 

The only thing of note here in my eyes is the Dolphins owner offering bonuses to lose. 

if flores wants to go scorched earth, so be it... man can obviously coach, and will have big football college programs offering him loaves of bread.

man wont go broke.

normally love seeing anything that throws the Broncos under the bus....but adding that part of them being late and "disheveled" to the interview 3 years later is pretty much weaksauce....and takes away a little of the credibility IMO.....how exactly are you going to prove three years later they were "hungover" and it was "obvious" they had been out drinking....sometimes things come up and people are late....and maybe they aren't feeling well or are having a bad hair day....

don't get me wrong, it very well may have been the case that they were late and hungover.....neither of which is "illegal"....bad form, yes, but not really an issue....and no way to know/prove they had their mind made up on Fangio....this part about the Broncos seems like a desperate attempt to add something to a complaint with very little foundation....almost more of something that can work against you then for you.....

babydemon90 said:
So what? 

This guy sounds like a petulant baby. Who would ever hire this clown after this. Never says a word until now. I guess it was all okay while he had a job, what a jerk.

If they interviewed two AA candidates prior to hiring Daboll, then Flores just burned himself up for nothing. Sad and epic meltdown here if true.

Flores obviously knows those other minority interviews happened, so I assume his case takes that into account.

normally love seeing anything that throws the Broncos under the bus....but adding that part of them being late and "disheveled" to the interview 3 years later is pretty much weaksauce....and takes away a little of the credibility IMO.....how exactly are you going to prove three years later they were "hungover" and it was "obvious" they had been out drinking....sometimes things come up and people are late....and maybe they aren't feeling well or are having a bad hair day....

don't get me wrong, it very well may have been the case that they were late and hungover.....neither of which is "illegal"....bad form, yes, but not really an issue....and no way to know/prove they had their mind made up on Fangio....but that part seems like a desperate attempt to add something to a complaint with very little foundation....almost more of something that can work against you then for you.....
This is a bald-faced lie. John Elway has never had a bad hair day

TLEF316 said:

And it seemed likely he'd at worst need to sit out a season before working again.

if flores wants to go scorched earth, so be it... man can obviously coach, and will have big football college programs offering him loaves of bread.

man wont go broke.
Big? I don’t know about that one. This reads like he wants a retirement check and is done with football. I assume there will be a book soon after he gets a settlement. 

So I reserve the right to change my mind on this as I learn more, but my initial reaction is that this is basically a primal scream. We've heard for years that Black coaches in the league are constantly seething with anger at the league. They see one-and-doners like Culley and Steve Wilks and think they were thrust into bad situations and then hung out to dry in ways that white coaches never would have been. They get coaching interviews they view as tokens to fulfill the Rooney Rule. You can dispute the accuracy of those feelings, but by all accounts the anger is definitely there.

I feel like Flores just decided he needed to take a stand. Maybe he's right, maybe he has the goods, or maybe he doesn't and this is suicidal. But I really do think he just decided he needed to take one for the team and call out what he saw as injustice.

This is a bald-faced lie. John Elway has never had a bad hair day
lol....was waiting to see who would call that out....I can however confirm that he has been totally sauced previously as we sat in the row in front of him, John Fox, and Schlereth, at the Rascal Flats concert and lets just say those guys were having a really good time...don't think there was interview the next day though....

lol....was waiting to see who would call that out....I can however confirm that he has been totally sauced previously as we sat in the row in front of him, John Fox, and Schlereth, at the Rascal Flats concert and lets just say those guys were having a really good time...don't think there was interview the next day though....
NEWSFLASH: Brian Flores subpoenas Joe Bryant and FootballGuys, demanding that they reveal the name of pseudonymous poster who claims to have seen Elway drunk in public ...

So I reserve the right to change my mind on this as I learn more, but my initial reaction is that this is basically a primal scream. We've heard for years that Black coaches in the league are constantly seething with anger at the league. They see one-and-doners like Culley and Steve Wilks and think they were thrust into bad situations and then hung out to dry in ways that white coaches never would have been. They get coaching interviews they view as tokens to fulfill the Rooney Rule. You can dispute the accuracy of those feelings, but by all accounts the anger is definitely there.

I feel like Flores just decided he needed to take a stand. Maybe he's right, maybe he has the goods, or maybe he doesn't and this is suicidal. But I really do think he just decided he needed to take one for the team and call out what he saw as injustice.

There is absolutely something to this. And if this is his plan and he's willing to accept the consequences (potentially never getting a job again)....best of luck to him.  I have no doubt that there is at least some racial prejudice towards black coaches in the league. And we should do everything possible to get past it.

All that being said....if he's truly "taking one for the team".....and he has the goods.....he has to take this to trial. If he takes a big $$ settlement and signs an NDA, the only one that really benefits is him. Maybe teams get more "careful" going forward....but we dont see real change unless all the dirty laundry comes out.  Because the $$ means basically nothing to the league or the owners. Hell, they probably wouldn't even be the ones directly paying it (would likely be paid by their insurance carrier as part of their EPL policy)

babydemon90 said:
So what? 
agree. I understand the intent, but there's no way to fairly execute the rule

Bogart said:
This is clearly going to cost Belichick a draft pick or two.
Agreed.  Letting the secret way that owners do business out into the wild is bad for business.

On the flip side, imagine trying to prove that the mistaken text message definitively means what Flores' representation claims it means.

There has been at least a little smoke that Harbaugh may also be interested in Miami as well as Minnesota. If I'm Jim this pretty much guarantees I focus my sights on Minnesota and stay away from a potential dumpster fire of an investigation of an owner attempting to throw games.

One more thing, with 6 or 8 head coaching jobs out there, how petulant and ill-advised is it to file a lawsuit when you don't get one of them?

jobarules said:
The Giants apparently had 3 token interviews.
Yeah, I wasn't making a comment on the validity of his claim (though I do agree with @dgreenthat there is zero chance Flores and his lawyers weren't aware of those other interviews when he filed the lawsuit). I was just making the point that the fact that Schoene hired his buddy from Buffalo would seem to constitute evidence in support of his lawsuit rather than disproof.

One more thing, with 6 or 8 head coaching jobs out there, how petulant and ill-advised is it to file a lawsuit when you don't get one of them?
My understanding is that he was still very much in the running for Houston, and possibly for New Orleans as well. If that's true, that would argue against him being petulant. He's willingly risking his chances of getting those jobs.

(Then again, maybe Belichick told him the fix was in on those jobs as well.)

Big? I don’t know about that one. This reads like he wants a retirement check and is done with football. I assume there will be a book soon after he gets a settlement. 

If Harbs returns to the nfl, theyd be morons to pass on flores, if he was interested. 

Users who are viewing this thread