What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Westbrook (1 Viewer)

Deuce'sWild

Footballguy
Brian Westbrook is a STUD when he plays....when he plays being the key words. I had him last year and he was a major headache. Honestly the guy was a gametime decision in probably 10 games, and then he missed 3 games, then came back and I was afraid to play him and he went nuts. So, his ADP is around 2.03. You would have to take him over stud WRs like Moss, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson or over guys like Gore, Jacobs, or possibly Deangelo Williams....depending on how your draft unfolds of course.

I love this guy's talent, but I'm not sure I can pass on a stud WR like any of the TOP 4 for a guy who is this injury prone to begin with, and is coming off a microfracture surgery in June (I believe). He won't play in preseason so you won't have any idea how healthy he is. If you listen to the coachspeak, the news is positive, but how much of that can you put your late 1st or early 2nd rd hopes on?

Know all of this, is he worth the risk? If you're drafting from the 6-9 spots, do you take him in the early 2nd or would you rather go with a stud WR...given the amount of RB talent available late.

In many leagues, he's been slipping to the late second round. At that price, he's certainly worth the risk.

I love the guy, but I'm not buying for fantasy in the late first/early second.

His health seems better for this year (already cutting at full speed in camp), but a certain rookie in camp has been lighting it up, AND CAN BLOCK. Westbrook could finish anywhere from top ten to 25th even if he's healthy!

Westy has trouble making it through the season when he comes in healthy. hes already injured and it's only August. If you expect Westy's body to make it through the season when he already hurt, then you my friend have a lot more faith in him than I.

Its realistic to expect him to atleast underperform in many games since he'll probably be dealing w/ pain all year. Is it worth the risk to take Westy when you can get someone like Jacobs who you're pretty sure will play all year? Sure the upside isnt as high, but Im not expecting many big days from Westy this year.

I'm not touching Westbrook this year unless he falls to the late 2nd (but he won't in any of my leagues).

If drafting in the 6-9 spots. Grab your stud WR in the 1st-- then grab West in the 2nd.

He'll miss a game or two, but in PPR- he can score big pts in bunches... IF all goes well with his recovery, he might be playing without pain and swelling in his knees for the 1st time in several years.. I would think this would lead to a better year than last year even if he is a year older...

Westy has trouble making it through the season when he comes in healthy. hes already injured and it's only August. If you expect Westy's body to make it through the season when he already hurt, then you my friend have a lot more faith in him than I.

Its realistic to expect him to atleast underperform in many games since he'll probably be dealing w/ pain all year. Is it worth the risk to take Westy when you can get someone like Jacobs who you're pretty sure will play all year? Sure the upside isnt as high, but Im not expecting many big days from Westy this year.
I wouldn't count on Jacobs being available for 16 games; he missed three last year and 5 the year before.Westy is a gamble, his time is running out, but he will have some very big games. The team needs their other weapons to step up in order to take some of the pressure off Westbrook. If Jackson plays like he did last year and Curtis/Maclin/Celek/R Brown provide other options for McNabb then Westbrook should have more room to operate out of the backfield. Westbrook in the 2nd Round is well worth the risk. He will put up great numbers if he gets 300 +/- total touches which I believe is reasonable to expect.

I'd grab McCoy in a late round and hope Westbrook gets hurt. There are just too many question marks to warrant taking Westbrook in the first couple of rounds. Let someone else snag him to early and suffer the consequences.

Westbrook is always hurt, always misses some games, and ranked in the Top 10 even in non PPR leagues 4 of the last 5 years.

Is he worth it? It depends where it takes to get him and how much you think his off season surgery will impact his game. Some feel the surgery will make him higher risk and more likely to miss time. Others think the surgery will help his health and improve his chances to stay healthy.

Reports from the last week or two had BW running at full speed and ahead of schedule for his return. But he's still not practicing and McCoy has looked very good.

He fell almost to the end of the second round in a draft of mine a few weeks ago, so I paired him with LT. To me he was worth the risk, as the games he does play he usually has been solid (although some will argue he's been feast or famine).

In addition to the concerns about his health, I'm also skeptical of the Eagles offensive line. I don't think Shawn Andrews has practiced yet and is playing a new position, moving from guard to tackle. I think the line will need a few games before they start to jell as a unit. Westbrook has excelled behind a line that was together for years. Now there's new OT's as well as the addition of Stacy Andrews.

Is he worth the risk? Better question is he worth the headache? Every week is a tough call on starting him as he seems to be a GTD. When he starts and plays he is a stud. I have him in a PPR dynasty league and got a few offers in the offseason but they were all really lowball offers. I decided to keep the guy and ride him one more year and hope to win it all rather than dump him off for some high risk prospect.

The strategy of grabbing a top flight WR in the first and then him in the second seems like a good idea. RB in the third seems almost a requirement and McCoy late as well. So if you take him you need to really plan your draft accordingly. Know where McCoy is going in drafts. Know if there is a Iggles fan that will reach for McCoy early. Know that you will need depth at RB if you don't get McCoy as you could be without BWest for a few games. And make sure you are near a PC up until game time on Sunday to make roster moves if necessary.

If you are in a 12 team redraft and Moss or Fitz is staring you in the face at say 8 or 9 take one and come back with West in the 2nd. Hope a 300 carry back like Grant is there in the 3rd...

Westy for this year will be fine. But to me the writing is on the wall. They grabbed a RB this year along with some OL help. This should help Westy this year, but not for anything beyond it. Look for Philly to grab there QB of the future next season along with aquiring a bigger back. The vets will get one more run at this. Then they will start to replace the older key figures (McNabb-Westy) over the next 2 years maybe 3. Westy next and Mcnabb the later as he has to groom a replacement. So for a redraft league I jump on Westy, Dynasty ,well, winning this year is still important, but his value is not the same in that format.

:shrug: in 2008, Westbrook played in only 14 games, missing parts of other due to injuries:

Westbrook had 10 games in which he failed to rush for more than just 61 yards last season... :eek:

Westbrook had 7 games in which he failed to catch more than just 3 passes.. :eek:

Westbrook had 8 games in which he failed to score a single TD.

doubtful anyone is more overrated than Brian Westbrook.

We all know Westy is nicked up every year. As David pointed out he has finished in the top 10 in ppr scoring 4 out of the last 5 years.

Everyone loves to ride this theory that the writing is on the wall. Teams always draft RB's....every year. You have to. McCoy is a great prospect and may be a stud one day. But until Westbrook shows signs of his production slowing down....which has not happened and IMO will not happen again this year what writing are you talking about?

Westy has a year left? Bahhhhh. If Westy plays his usual 14 games he will put up big time studly numbers. So tell me going into 2010 off a another pro bowl type year you think the writing will be on the wall again?

When on the field in 2008 the guy was a stud. Last year he had some ankle and knee issues.

2011 will be the year McCoy gets the primary role. Westy does not take a ton of hits and I believe the off-season surgery he had will actually help him play pain free for the first time in years.

His career will mirror the end of Tiki Barbers IMO. He will be a very productive PPR back for another 2 years and those who have him in dynasty leagues should be riding him to the end if you have the talent around him to contend. You don't get many Westbrook type of backs that often.

I love Lesean McCoy....great talent. But as always he has to wait his turn.

Westbrook in the 2nd round this year will amount to tremendous value in redrafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanner9919 said:
burd said:

:shark: in 2008, Westbrook played in only 14 games, missing parts of other due to injuries:

Westbrook had 10 games in which he failed to rush for more than just 61 yards last season... :lmao:

Westbrook had 7 games in which he failed to catch more than just 3 passes.. :eek:

this is total cherry-picking. you could have easily written the same as:Westbrook had 4 games in which he rushed for more than 90 yards

Westbrook had 6 games in which he caught 6 or more passes.

Westbrook scored TDs in just 1 game less than ADP did.

and that's even without taking you to task for mentioning only rushing yards when everyone knows a key part of Westbrook's value is his receiving yards.

Tanner9919 said:
burd said:

:lmao: in 2008, Westbrook played in only 14 games, missing parts of other due to injuries:

Westbrook had 10 games in which he failed to rush for more than just 61 yards last season... :eek:

this is total cherry-picking. you could have easily written the same as:Westbrook had 4 games in which he rushed for more than 90 yards

and that's even without taking you to task for mentioning only rushing yards when everyone knows a key part of Westbrook's value is his receiving yards.
:lmao: Figures don't lie, but liars can figure...

Tanner9919 said:
burd said:

:football: in 2008, Westbrook played in only 14 games, missing parts of other due to injuries:

Westbrook had 10 games in which he failed to rush for more than just 61 yards last season... :lmao:

Westbrook had 7 games in which he failed to catch more than just 3 passes.. :lmao:

You do realize besides his knee which swells from time to time, over the last 3 seasons, they usually rest him during the week, may miss a game or two, that last year he played with 2 busted ribs and a high ankle sprain, for most of the season. With his ribs healed up and his ankle cleaned up, no reason to believe he' won't put up top 10 #s. Well worth taking if he available late 1st or early second. If you can't stand that he doesn't practice for full weeks and that for 2-3 games will be listed as GTD, or he is always on the injury report with knee swelling, then you have to pass. But last year in my ppr, 1point all receptions, as beatup as he was, missed only 2 full games and more than half of another, he was still rb #5 and overall #15 scorer. Take him all day and not look back.

I'm drafting 1.11 in my ppr redraft and have considered Westy (@1.11) and Portis (@2.2). I think both are guys that are locks to finish top 5-10 even if they miss a couple games, but they're being ignored.

We are starting the first of a 3 year keeper cycle, so he is hands off unless I can get him late in the 2nd round, which will only happen if everyone else thinks the same on him. If healthy for 14+ games, he would be a top 5 guy. A chance I am not willing to take, seeing how my first pick "should" be a 3 year player for me.

burd said:
Is it worth the risk to take Westy when you can get someone like Jacobs who you're pretty sure will play all year?
Why would you be pretty sure Jacobs will play the entire season. He's been the starter the past two seasons and has missed eight games in that span. He's anything but a durable starting RB.

Grabbed him at 2.10 in a PPR redraft last week.

Already told the wife to get the kids extra xmas gifts this year. Would only consider a handful of RB's (Forte/MJD/LT/CJ3 & perhaps Jackson)ahead of him for 2009 in PPR leagues (and Adrian Peterson isn't among them).

Tanner9919 said:

:lmao: in 2008, Westbrook played in only 14 games, missing parts of other due to injuries:

Westbrook had 7 games in which he failed to catch more than just 3 passes.. :lmao:

you nailed him!! that is why this msg board needs to be used like a lawyer- mlook at both sides and make your own opinions. people rely on others too much. need to figure it out on yopur own. this is a great post. NAILED IT!

Westbrook won't be on my team. Eventually you have to decide when it's time to give up on a guy and assume he's finished as a top fantasy starter. For me, this is the year for Westbrook.

He's a year older and I think the writing is on the wall. Maybe he squeezes out another good year, but I'm comfortable letting someone else take that risk. In the first two rounds I can get younger guys with plenty of upside. Any player can get injured, but I'm not volunteering to bite my nails every Sunday wondering if he practiced enough or how long he'll last.

Good luck to whoever selects him.

It really depends on how long you can wait on him. Even with all the "doom and gloom" many are predicting, if Westbrook slips to the third(and it's happening in some leagues) that's a pick that can win you your league outright if you didn't totally punt on your first two picks.

With his ribs healed up and his ankle cleaned up, no reason to believe he' won't put up top 10 #s.
I agree, as long as he can put in 12-13 games. He did that last year WITH the ribs/ankle/whatever else he had going on.I don't think he's going to be a top 3 guy or anything, but he could easily crack top 10. You just have to make sure you draft McCoy....but even if Westbrook was healthy you were going to do that anyway, right?

Yikes, this was an awfully misleading post. I'm not trying to pick at you, but I feel the need to clarify:

Tanner9919 said:
Westbrook had 10 games in which he failed to rush for more than just 61 yards last season... :shock:
To put it another way, Westbrook had 71 total yards or more in all but 5 games. This includes the Pittsburgh game when he got hurt in Q1 and the Cleveland/Dallas games when he came out in the 2nd half because the Eagles were dominating. To put that in some perspective: LT didn't reach 71 total yards 4 times, same with Slaton, Chris Johnson didn't reach 71 total yards in 5 games, Michael Turner did 6 times. All these guys are going ahead of him.

Tanner9919 said:
Westbrook had 7 games in which he failed to catch more than just 3 passes.. :)
And Steve Slaton had 11 such games. Chris Johnson had 12. MJD, the PPR God that he is, had 9 games where he didn't have more than 3 passes. Come on! Who sets the bar at 3 passes for a RB?
Tanner9919 said:
Here we go again. Chris Johnson had 7, as did MJD, Slaton also had 8, Portis 9, ADP had 8. The truth is that Westbrook went from being the most consistent player in fantasy in 2007 (over 10 points in every game) to being a player of pretty average consistency last year. But let's not get carried away here.

I'm shocked at how many people have said things like "he killed me last year!" If you played him in his 14 starts, and played Buckhalter in the two weeks he was deactivated, you would have a top 3 RB on your hands. This year, he has what might be an even more capable handcuff. The only downside is you'll have to pay for him because all this Westbrook injury hype is making McCoy a popular pick.

I'm shocked at how many people have said things like "he killed me last year!" If you played him in his 14 starts, and played Buckhalter in the two weeks he was deactivated, you would have a top 3 RB on your hands. This year, he has what might be an even more capable handcuff. The only downside is you'll have to pay for him because all this Westbrook injury hype is making McCoy a popular pick.
This.That's basically what I was trying to say, but you did it better. The Philly running back position is gold. If Westy falls to the 2nd/3rd and you have to take McCoy in 9/10 to lock down a top 5 running attack, is that worth it? It probably is.

Last edited by a moderator:
This.That's basically what I was trying to say, but you did it better. The Philly running back position is gold. If Westy falls to the 2nd/3rd and you have to take McCoy in 9/10 to lock down a top 5 running attack, is that worth it? It probably is.
The real unknown in all of this is McCoy; we have no idea if he is a legitimate replacement for Westbrook. The known commodity behind Westy is Leonard Weaver. McCoy was a good college player and has moved ahead of Hunt and Booker but is that saying a whole lot? Hopefully McCoy doesn't get Laurence Maroney disease and hits the holes that are presented to him in lieu of dancing around in the backfield.I am not saying drafting McCoy as a handcuff is a bad idea it just isn't fool-proof.I own West in a Dynasty League and have no realistic chance to draft McCoy from the 8 hole in my Rookie draft and would likely not pay the price to move up to get him. Westbrook has been a hard commodity to move the last couple of years because of his injury history but the Cat has had unreal games over the last couple of years when on the field. A productive Weaver and McCoy could help Westbrook owners squeeze out a couple of more solid years.

The real unknown in all of this is McCoy; we have no idea if he is a legitimate replacement for Westbrook. The known commodity behind Westy is Leonard Weaver. McCoy was a good college player and has moved ahead of Hunt and Booker but is that saying a whole lot? Hopefully McCoy doesn't get Laurence Maroney disease and hits the holes that are presented to him in lieu of dancing around in the backfield.
Hunt was released a long time ago wasn't he? I don't think he's on their practice squad either.

Users who are viewing this thread