What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brock Osweiller & Kirk Cousins (1 Viewer)

Whoosah

Footballguy
This might be better in the AC, but this could be relevant to other teams. I own these guys on my team since I own Peyton and RG3.

However, are they worth holding in a dynasty league? These two slots could be used on future FA/waiver players. I just am not sure if it is worth holding these handcuffs and have 4QBs on my team.

I guess is it worth a roster spot for either of these guys for a potential free agent?

Brock - Yay or Nay

Kirk - Yay or Nay

Both are worth the hold IMO. Depends greatly on roster size I guess but there aren't many formats in which I'd not roster these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends entirely on league size, format and how deep your rosters are. 14-16 teams or 2QB or 30+ man rosters, yes. Otherwise, you'd have to really believe in them.

10-12 teams or 25 man rosters or start-1QB, then I'd say no.

This league in particular is a 40 man roster with idp. So i guess in a deeper league, they're worth stashing. But if you had to choose, Kirk has more value in terms of dynasty/long term value?

I think Brock has significantly more upside due to the talent around him. Cousins would be a sure-fire own for anyone who has RG3 as their #1, but since you have Peyton he might not be necessary. But in a 40 player roster league, I'd keep both.

Os will start in 2 years or less. Cousins will only start if RG3 gets hurt again. Only time is inevitable.
Two things here. I think it's possible, if maybe not likely, that Manning plays for a really long time. Meaning, more than two more years if he shows no signs of slowing down. And Osweiller has much less chance to get on the field and show his worth than Cousins. RG3 is much more likely to miss games now and then in the next three years, meaning Cousins will have more opportunity to make an impression. He also could be traded in the last year of his contract. Or enter FA as a highly sought after guy if he shows well when RG3 misses time, if that continues to happen.

That's possible. Which would you bet on?

Osweiler also has much less chance to get on the field and show his lack of worth than Cousins. If Cousins gets a 4 game stretch where he goes 1-3 and struggles to top 200, he could become less rosterable. If Os gets a chance to start, he is likely the starter for Denver for a long time.

People will anticipate the Manning retirement and try to carry Os over the offseason. No one will anticipate RG3 going Theismann.

It is more possible Os is retained as a backup after his initial contract. End of 2015 Peyton will be 39+ and they could retain Os if Peyton wants another year or two. If Cousins is good then unless RG3 loses a limb, it's hard to see him staying.

I think oz will be better but cousins gas already shown that he can play, at least short term, in the NFL.

Both are worth keeping if good qbs cost a lot in your league.

That's possible. Which would you bet on?

Osweiler also has much less chance to get on the field and show his lack of worth than Cousins. If Cousins gets a 4 game stretch where he goes 1-3 and struggles to top 200, he could become less rosterable. If Os gets a chance to start, he is likely the starter for Denver for a long time.

It is more possible Os is retained as a backup after his initial contract. End of 2015 Peyton will be 39+ and they could retain Os if Peyton wants another year or two. If Cousins is good then unless RG3 loses a limb, it's hard to see him staying.
Both of those are reasons for rostering Cousins over Os.

Both are very much worth rostering, even if you didn't own Griffin/Manning. The handcuff factor just makes it that much more of a slam dunk.

This league in particular is a 40 man roster with idp. So i guess in a deeper league, they're worth stashing. But if you had to choose, Kirk has more value in terms of dynasty/long term value?
I would take Cousins over Osweiler because we've actually seen him perform very well when the bullets are flying in the regular season.

I traded a late round rookie pick for Cousins to handcuff to RG3. If I were not the RG3 owner I would not have traded for Cousins nor would I be too interested in stashing him. He's going to be the backup for the next 3 years, there's no incentive for Washington to move him unless another team will give up a 1 and given enxt year's QB class I doubt that will happen. His upside is getting traded in 2 years and even then I don't think he's any better than a QB2. If I'm stashing a QB for the long term I want more upside than that.

I have no interest in stashing Osweiler. I think his chances of success are < 10% and think the other QB, Dysert, will eventually beat him for backup duties. He has some interesting tools, but the on field product in college was more ugly than anything.

Os will start in 2 years or less. Cousins will only start if RG3 gets hurt again. Only time is inevitable.
Two things here. I think it's possible, if maybe not likely, that Manning plays for a really long time. Meaning, more than two more years if he shows no signs of slowing down. And Osweiller has much less chance to get on the field and show his worth than Cousins. RG3 is much more likely to miss games now and then in the next three years, meaning Cousins will have more opportunity to make an impression. He also could be traded in the last year of his contract. Or enter FA as a highly sought after guy if he shows well when RG3 misses time, if that continues to happen.
While he was in Indy and a year or so before the neck injury, Manning indicated he wanted to play until the age of 40. So, for that and the fact we haven't seen him in action, I would only roster Osweiler if I owned Manning.

As far as Cousins, a definite handcuff for the RG3 owner and worth holding for the non-RG3 owner IMO if you have the roster space

However, I must note that I own Cousins in one league and offered him to the RG3 owner for a 2014 3rd round pick and was turned down flat with no counter offer. I also have him listed in my trade bait for any 2014 3rd but have yet to get a nibble. It is a 24 roster league and I will try to keep him but I will eventually have to cut some players for roster space and he will be under consideration for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take Cousins over Osweiler because we've actually seen him perform very well when the bullets are flying in the regular season.
I'd take Osweiler over Cousins because his ceiling is substantially higher. ;)

I'd take Cousins because I believe he is more likely to become a starter before Osweiler. I think he gets traded before Peyton retires. Granted, he might be Matt Cassel, but even he had some value.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter2h

Jon Gruden on ESPN: "If I were a coach, I'd offer a first-round pick to the Redskins to get Kirk Cousins on my team."

Users who are viewing this thread