What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buffalo Wild Wings (5 Viewers)

BWs is overrated and overpriced.  The sauce and beer selection are good.  The wings are average and the burgers are below average.  The service is normally pretty good and the TVs are great.  I don't hate going there but it is not a preferred stop.  We can go to other bars/restaurants in the area for better food and beer for less money. 

I still don't get the eating #### that sets your mouth on fire thing.  Do you really taste anything after a certain point, or is this just a proving manhood thing?
I'm assuming you know this but everyone handles the heat a little bit differently based on their tastebuds.  Some people are super tasters, some are not.  I'm kind of in the middle - I can eat your ordinary spicy stuff but stay away from the hottest stuff and it's painful going in and out.  
Spicy food causes the release of endorphins which create a euphoric high. In time the body builds up immunity to the spicy food, so they have to eat something hotter to get the same endorphin rush. Much like a drug addict who eventually has to move on to a harder drug to get the same high.

I think it's fair to say that for some it is definitely also about proving their manhood. But not all.

I still don't get the eating #### that sets your mouth on fire thing.  Do you really taste anything after a certain point, or is this just a proving manhood thing?
I don't like to set my mouth on fire, but I seem to eat less with spicy food.  I think it makes me drink more water and eat more slowly.

I like spicy food a lot. If I'm just eating normally I'll go with Hot, extra wet, with a side of WIld sauce to dip them in. Good balance of flavor and heat. From the "ego" perspective, I've knocked out the "Blazin Challenge" in 68 seconds long ago... they're hot but quite edible IMO. Not something I'd eat 12-16 of for enjoyment.. but nothing that will cause pain. 

When I find myself at Hooters (rare), my go to is 3 Mile Island. Hot isn't even really hot. Haven't tried 911, but their 3MI is a solid flavor with enough heat to make it worthwhile. 

We have some serious wing joints here in Memphis. All Star & The Wing Guru are both top shelf. The BWW by my house is actually solid for what it is. Wings are large and usually cooked pretty well. Service is great. It's not perfect but there are far worse places to watch games, IMO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like their sauces, but the wings are the definition of meh. Burgers are WAY over cooked. We buy their sauces and use them on our homemade wings. Win win.
I make my own wings and buy their sauces.  The curry is so salty, it's like drinking a glass of salt that is rimmed with salt while having someone throw salt at me.

But I may be confusing this with Buffalo Bros. or Wild Wing Café or Hurricane Grill and Wings

I like spicy food a lot. If I'm just eating normally I'll go with Hot, extra wet, with a side of WIld sauce to dip them in. Good balance of flavor and heat. From the "ego" perspective, I've knocked out the "Blazin Challenge" in 68 seconds long ago... they're hot but quite edible IMO. Not something I'd eat 12-16 of for enjoyment.. but nothing that will cause pain. 

When I find myself at Hooters (rare), my go to is 3 Mile Island. Hot isn't even really hot. Haven't tried 911, but their 3MI is a solid flavor with enough heat to make it worthwhile. 

We have some serious wing joints here in Memphis. All Star & The Wing Guru are both top shelf. The BWW by my house is actually solid for what it is. Wings are large and usually cooked pretty well. Service is great. It's not perfect but there are far worse places to watch games, IMO. 
Will try All Star and The Wing Guru on my next visits to Memphis.  There is an All star a couple miles from my standard hotel in Cordova.

Side rant - looking at the All Star menu - why are two ten piece orders cheaper than a 20 piece order?  A 10 and a 5 piece together are cheaper than the 15.  How hard is it to price food?  

I make my own wings and buy their sauces.  The curry is so salty, it's like drinking a glass of salt that is rimmed with salt while having someone throw salt at me.

But I may be confusing this with Buffalo Bros. or Wild Wing Café or Hurricane Grill and Wings
:lmao:

Man.. Hurricane Wings down in FL is one chain that started strong but #### the bed.... Talk about tiny overpriced wings. Good lord that place is a ripoff. 

Will try All Star and The Wing Guru on my next visits to Memphis.  There is an All star a couple miles from my standard hotel in Cordova.

Side rant - looking at the All Star menu - why are two ten piece orders cheaper than a 20 piece order?  A 10 and a 5 piece together are cheaper than the 15.  How hard is it to price food?  
The All Star I hit is near the Kroger at Kirby/Quince. Nothing fancy, but consistently VERY good whole wings. 

The Wing Guru is formerly Don Don Jr's (his dad opened the original Don Don's). Their signature sauce is the Honey Suicide, which has won a ton of awards. 

They are going back to crap though, got taken over by an activist investor and being run into the ground. Recently dropped the wing Tuesday's that had been a staple since they first started.
So the activist investor who took over the company has sold it to the group that owns Arby's. If that is not the final nail in the coffin, I'm not sure what is.

Man.. Hurricane Wings down in FL is one chain that started strong but #### the bed.... Talk about tiny overpriced wings. Good lord that place is a ripoff. 
Are any of them still open?  Looks like east coast Florida and Winter Haven (lol).  I remember one here in Tampa, but it’s gone now.

the ones by us just got an interior overhaul. fresh colors, new furniture, etc. looks a lot better.
Did the same to the one by us last year.  Looks great.  Always a good crowd in there.  Beer selection top notch.  

Waitresses could be hotter and wear more flattering clothing, but I do note that they can now wear jeans.  Perhaps getting rid of an all-female top brass will help in that regard.  Would it kill them to mix in some shorts or some different fitting shirts?

Did the same to the one by us last year.  Looks great.  Always a good crowd in there.  Beer selection top notch.  

Waitresses could be hotter and wear more flattering clothing, but I do note that they can now wear jeans.  Perhaps getting rid of an all-female top brass will help in that regard.  Would it kill them to mix in some shorts or some different fitting shirts?
I dunno... I kinda like they chubby waitress in a jersey shtick they have going 

I dunno... I kinda like they chubby waitress in a jersey shtick they have going 
I know you're a chubby chaser, but I'm not advocating they force the plumpers to wear something skimpy or abandon the current unis, but some more options would be nice, especially for the hot latina that serves me at the bar.  Man, she could double her sales with some cleavage or by showing some leg.

I know you're a chubby chaser, but I'm not advocating they force the plumpers to wear something skimpy or abandon the current unis, but some more options would be nice, especially for the hot latina that serves me at the bar.  Man, she could double her sales with some cleavage or by showing some leg.
BBBWWW*  :wub:

Maybe you should switch over to twin peaks

My guess is they keep it cookie cutter because otherwise they'd get a few girls dressing like whores and you can't have that at a family restaurant like BWW, or some sort of corporate nonsense 

*big beautiful buffalo wild wings waitresses 

The first time I went to a BW3's was back in the early 90's.  I was single, just out of college, had a bit too much to drink and one of the guys I was drinking with said "hey, if you like wings, I know this great wing place right around the corner."  Being way too embarrassed to say "wtf are wings" I just went with it.  For the record, I hate bone in chicken, so when I found out I was going to be eating the part of the chicken that would normally get tossed away, I was absolutely thrilled.  :no:   

He said "do you like wimpy barbecue, mild, medium, hot, blazin' or hottest - what do you think?"  Not wanting to sound like a complete wuss, I said "oh, hot is fine I guess."  It was after midnight and I swear wings were 10 cents a piece?  I was slightly inebriated, not falling down drunk or anything but I'm pretty certain they were dirt cheap.  

Much to my surprise, I actually enjoyed the hell out of the wings and I was totally hooked, we ended up going there ALL the freaking time - lunch during the week - weekends, especially whenever they had 10 cent wings. I found out two things - I liked wings and I liked spicy food kind of.  I moved from Cincinnati to Indy 20 some odd years ago and I haven't been to a BW3's in a couple of years. 

The last few times I went to a BW3's near me, here in Indy, I was really disappointed.  The two I went to (on multiple occasions) were both dirty, out dated, run down and the service was slow as hell.  I've been with people that ordered burgers and, wow, what a HUGE mistake.  One guy ordered a burger and fries while the rest of us got wings.  Not only did we get our orders first, we ate, finished and were all drinking refills while we waited for that guy to get his burger.  At both locations I've found this to be true, if you get wings - no problem - anything else and your wait is going to be brutal.  Again though, near me, they need to put some money back into the restaurants and improve service speed.

Just my 2 cents.

BBBWWW*  :wub:

Maybe you should switch over to twin peaks

My guess is they keep it cookie cutter because otherwise they'd get a few girls dressing like whores and you can't have that at a family restaurant like BWW, or some sort of corporate nonsense 

*big beautiful buffalo wild wings waitresses 
No Twin Peaks here.  Stupid Oregon just has a bunch of strip clubs and not much else.  The only Hooters out here is abysmal and not close to anything.

I understand the corporate push to keep them looking the same and as unflattering as possible, but that corporate push is going to get rocked on its face by Arby's activist CEO who has not only embraced new forms of marketing but sent the man behind Nihilist Arby's Twitter a puppy and sandwiches. 

Arby's took notice of the flippant Twitter send-up, and found out that the mastermind behind Nihilist Arby's was the aforementioned Kelly, Chicago adman and punk-band frontman, best known for his work in the Lawrence Arms, the Falcon and Brendan Kelly and the Wandering Birds.

"We had discussions around what do we do with that?" recalls Arby's CEO Paul Brown on learning the identity of the Nihilist Arby's creator. "And we said, 'Well, one, even if we wanted to do something, we couldn't.' But we also had a little fun with him, too."

As seen in Kelly's tweet below, Arby's executives apparently flew out to meet Kelly, bringing with them a bag of Arby's food... and a puppy.

"Cheer up, buddy. You live in a world with puppies ... and sandwiches," reads the note delivered to Kelly from the Arby's team.

"It's kind of hard to have regrets about a stupid parody Twitter account about the futility of corporate Twitter," says Kelly about meeting with the Arby's execs. "But I really would have liked to have hung out a little more with those people."

Feels like an Arby's night.
Feel like more options are forthcoming for BWW waitresses and bartenders.

Go to Hooters instead? If I'm going out to eat, I want good food. I'm not there to eye bang the help.

Go to Hooters instead? If I'm going out to eat, I want good food. I'm not there to eye bang the help.
Right, that's excellent advice.  Maybe I'll move or get a job close to the only one in this city which is nowhere near anything.

Just think the staff might like more options for clothing, that's all.  

Sullie said:
The first time I went to a BW3's was back in the early 90's.  I was single, just out of college, had a bit too much to drink and one of the guys I was drinking with said "hey, if you like wings, I know this great wing place right around the corner."  Being way too embarrassed to say "wtf are wings" I just went with it.  For the record, I hate bone in chicken, so when I found out I was going to be eating the part of the chicken that would normally get tossed away, I was absolutely thrilled.  :no:   

He said "do you like wimpy barbecue, mild, medium, hot, blazin' or hottest - what do you think?"  Not wanting to sound like a complete wuss, I said "oh, hot is fine I guess."  It was after midnight and I swear wings were 10 cents a piece?  I was slightly inebriated, not falling down drunk or anything but I'm pretty certain they were dirt cheap.  

Much to my surprise, I actually enjoyed the hell out of the wings and I was totally hooked, we ended up going there ALL the freaking time - lunch during the week - weekends, especially whenever they had 10 cent wings. I found out two things - I liked wings and I liked spicy food kind of.  I moved from Cincinnati to Indy 20 some odd years ago and I haven't been to a BW3's in a couple of years. 

The last few times I went to a BW3's near me, here in Indy, I was really disappointed.  The two I went to (on multiple occasions) were both dirty, out dated, run down and the service was slow as hell.  I've been with people that ordered burgers and, wow, what a HUGE mistake.  One guy ordered a burger and fries while the rest of us got wings.  Not only did we get our orders first, we ate, finished and were all drinking refills while we waited for that guy to get his burger.  At both locations I've found this to be true, if you get wings - no problem - anything else and your wait is going to be brutal.  Again though, near me, they need to put some money back into the restaurants and improve service speed.

Just my 2 cents.
Which one in the Cincy did you go to?  The ones there were some of the first franchises.  And yes, they were obviously way better back then.

But there was no "blazin" back then. I think it was hot and then wild.

Which one in the Cincy did you go to?  The ones there were some of the first franchises.  And yes, they were obviously way better back then.

To butt into the Cincy conversation, I was pretty regular at the west side one on quarter wing Tuesdays in late 90s and early 2000s...near where Anderson Ferry runs into Glenway Crossing.

The pool hall next door made for a pretty decent Tuesday night, since i bartended at Willie's Covington through college and was usually only off on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

Where was the one by UC? I went there 99-02 and don't recall, I really only went to Adriatico's every now and then, or Sudsy Malone's and Martino's if I was going to Bogarts for a show or watching the Steelers...didn't spend much time on campus since I lived in Delhi.

Does any place even have a wing happy hour anymore?

I picked up 10 pounds of wings last night at Sam’s club. $25. Came out to about 70 wings. 

Makes me think I should start a wing truck. 

The hurricane wings on this coast do well. They must be supplied differently because the wings here are large. But they're not deep fried. Good sauces and parm fries.

Overall cost of wing places usually results in me spending a couple hours smoke grilling wings and making crostinis to go with them.

Had BWW for take out over the weekend.  Got the lemon pepper traditional wings.  Weren't bad, but the wings are significantly less meaty than the non-chain wing place I go to, which while slightly more expensive, blows BWW out of the water selection wise.

I don't know the exact address, I want to say it was around the Clifton area?  This was like 25 years ago when I used to live in Cincinnati.  I say that Clifton area because it was near U.C. (where I got my B.S. in Computer Science) and close to the place I was later working at the time.  You're probably right about the exact wing sauce names, I'm going from old timer memory. :)

Users who are viewing this thread