What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Buffalo Wild Wings (5 Viewers)

Too much franchizing, so many locations are inconsistent in their food prep. The great beer selection simply is average now and like a lot of other places. 
I can support this. One thing they aren't known for is being stringent when it comes to franchises upholding certain standards. 

The beer selection thing though is  somewhat of a nitpick. You can't expect a chain to carry a bunch of niche beers that don't sell a lot.  If I go into a BBW or Chilis or Red Robin I'm happy if they have maybe a couple of decent IPAs.  You can't  hold it against them if they don't carry Badger River Valley Screaming Raccoon Seasonal Special Day-Glo Hopapolooza Limited Reserve on tap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been going since '91, we had one of the first locations right off campus at Cincinnati.  

Forever addicted.

Got the Pizza Hut wings again today.  Big. Tasty.  Pretty irritating that our local Costco never has wings in the butcher area anymore.  Just frozen.  Basically I'm saying...I like wings.

Got the Pizza Hut wings again today.  Big. Tasty.  Pretty irritating that our local Costco never has wings in the butcher area anymore.  Just frozen.  Basically I'm saying...I like wings.
Pizza Hut??  Dude.

Used to be a fan, but now I avoid it.  It's just become too loud and crowded, food is slightly above average, and now with poor service now that they have Kiosks at the table so the servers don't have to come around as much.  Love the Caribbean Jerk sauce, so I go in there for some wings with that once year  or just to grab a bottle of that, but mostly I stay away from this place. 

They remind me of Applebee's or Subway. If you're traveling through some backwoods suckhole and you're starving, you'll take your punishment. But near heavily populated areas with better delis, burger shops and sports bars, you wonder how they can stay afloat. 
The problem with the restaurants that aren't chain is that you find a great one and then they close up suddenly and you will never get that food again.  Better to just cook your own.  

If there's one thing the FFA is consistent at, it's the elitist restaurant shtick. 

Honey BBQ dipped in ranch is underrated goodness. 

Because they are a wing place and the wings are average at best. I have had better wings at a bowling alley. Quaker steak and lube have really good wings. Problem is there aren't any locations in Michigan. 
Before they were a chain, Quaker Steak wings were great.  Once they expanded beyond that first little hole-in-the-wall location, they went downhill in a hurry.

If there's one thing the FFA is consistent at, it's the elitist restaurant shtick. 

Elitist, I dunno. Not seeing anything other than legit criticism here.  

I have only one complaint about BWW and it's a personal pet peeve of mine:  If you have a food item in your namethat item should be excellent.  Their wings are, in grading on sports bar and 'wings-in-the-name' curve, suck.  They are NOT decent.  They are bad.  They are scrawny.  They are fine, absolutely, for 25 cent wing night. Their fantastic selection of sauces do not make the actual wing any higher quality.  As a restaurant guy, I'd love to know their cost of goods on those wings, I have a feeling they are killing it.  

I'm seeing, 'their wings are decent'.  Compared to what?  Most sports bars have pretty serious wings these days, there are a LOT of places that pride themselves on their wings.  I just wanna know, if BWW is decent, what's bad look like?

In general tho, BWW is absolutely fine for what it is.  

The problem with the restaurants that aren't chain is that you find a great one and then they close up suddenly and you will never get that food again.  Better to just cook your own.  
Applebees is in the process of closing many restaurants. 

Another option is to order their wings plain them make your own sauce. I do it once in awhile

Elitist, I dunno. Not seeing anything other than legit criticism here.  

I have only one complaint about BWW and it's a personal pet peeve of mine:  If you have a food item in your namethat item should be excellent.  Their wings are, in grading on sports bar and 'wings-in-the-name' curve, suck.  They are NOT decent.  They are bad.  They are scrawny.  They are fine, absolutely, for 25 cent wing night. Their fantastic selection of sauces do not make the actual wing any higher quality.  As a restaurant guy, I'd love to know their cost of goods on those wings, I have a feeling they are killing it.  

I'm seeing, 'their wings are decent'.  Compared to what?  Most sports bars have pretty serious wings these days, there are a LOT of places that pride themselves on their wings.  I just wanna know, if BWW is decent, what's bad look like?

In general tho, BWW is absolutely fine for what it is.  
The ones in my town are huge.

I should mention I live in Minnesota, where they are headquartered so maybe they take a little more care in the wings or something, but every BWW I've been to in town has had pretty huge wings.
That's amazing. I'm surprised they don't make franchisees order all the same wings. ??

March Madness?  Football Sunday? Doesn't really happen any more now that I'm old, but every once in a while when I was younger, sure.  
I remember QB1 at BW3 in mid 90's - we'd show up at 11AM and leave after the Sunday night game.  There was one right across the street from Ga. Tech campus.  $2 23oz Miller lites - we'd drink a dozen or so.  $200 bar tab for 4 of us happened on occasion.  

Sauces are good, wings are meh, everything is overpriced, service is spotty. About what I expect from a chain sports bar. Definitely prefer Wings, Etc. as far as chain places go, but in my experience most local dive bars have wings that are much better than any chain place.

And of course grilled or smoked wings at home are vastly better than anything fried that you get in any bar.

I remember QB1 at BW3 in mid 90's - we'd show up at 11AM and leave after the Sunday night game.  There was one right across the street from Ga. Tech campus.  $2 23oz Miller lites - we'd drink a dozen or so.  $200 bar tab for 4 of us happened on occasion.  
I spent $42 there myself in 3 hrs the other night

They don't sell wings. They sell an experience to the lower middle and working classes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sauces are good, wings are meh, everything is overpriced, service is spotty. About what I expect from a chain sports bar. Definitely prefer Wings, Etc. as far as chain places go, but in my experience most local dive bars have wings that are much better than any chain place.

And of course grilled or smoked wings at home are vastly better than anything fried that you get in any bar.
Second all of this, especially the service.  Most local sports bars have bigger and better wings.

For those curious about what bad wings are, eat some at Hooters.  They're awful.

I like BW3 well enough. In a lot of small-medium sized cities (like mine), they are usually one of the few options for a legitimate sports bar. Around here, there are bars, but as far as bars that have the Sunday Ticket and order all the big fights, it's basically BW3 and one other place. 

Food's fine. Not great, but it'll work. Hell, you gotta eat something while avoiding the wife and watching football.

I can support this. One thing they aren't known for is being stringent when it comes to franchises upholding certain standards. 

The beer selection thing though is  somewhat of a nitpick. You can't expect a chain to carry a bunch of niche beers that don't sell a lot.  If I go into a BBW or Chilis or Red Robin I'm happy if they have maybe a couple of decent IPAs.  You can't  hold it against them if they don't carry Badger River Valley Screaming Raccoon Seasonal Special Day-Glo Hopapolooza Limited Reserve on tap.
No, I agree, maybe just didn't articulate it right. Maybe the youngins on this board don't remember, but even 5 to 10 years ago depending on the region of the country it was hard to find good beer selection at most places. That was one of the things that made BWW's great, but now, even the local Stop and Rob has got local beers in stock. So they've lost that point in their favor because everybody else is doing it too, although i give them credit because ive been in different ones in different cities and they do try to stay true to local brews.

Ned said:

Ranch?  Dude.

Capella said:
shuke said:
I think I went to one for 10 or 11 hours once.  Can't remember how much I spent.
How?
This particular time was during first round of NCAA.  We were in Indianapolis for the Thursday/Saturday games and spent all day Friday at BWW.

Man, I don't know how you can eat the Blazin' sauce. I had the 2nd-hottest sauce and I was dying. Just smelling it clears out your sinuses.
It's not that bad.  I can handle the second hottest (wild, i think), but I find the Blazin just doesn't taste very good.

It's not that bad.  I can handle the second hottest (wild, i think), but I find the Blazin just doesn't taste very good.
I still don't get the eating #### that sets your mouth on fire thing.  Do you really taste anything after a certain point, or is this just a proving manhood thing?

I still don't get the eating #### that sets your mouth on fire thing.  Do you really taste anything after a certain point, or is this just a proving manhood thing?
Purely ego. Cultures that have hot cuisine don't overdo it but here in the states it's all about being extreme and the hottest food possible purely to prove you can take it. It's not food at that point.

P.S. BWW sucks hard. On the same level as Applebees just with more diarrhea.

Purely ego. Cultures that have hot cuisine don't overdo it but here in the states it's all about being extreme and the hottest food possible purely to prove you can take it. It's not food at that point.

P.S. BWW sucks hard. On the same level as Applebees just with more diarrhea.
I don't think the 'wild' are any spicier than when I go to Indian restaurants with my Indian friends.  That #### is fiery, but obviously tastes 100x better than BWW.

I'm assuming you know this but everyone handles the heat a little bit differently based on their tastebuds.  Some people are super tasters, some are not.  I'm kind of in the middle - I can eat your ordinary spicy stuff but stay away from the hottest stuff and it's painful going in and out.  

massraider said:
I have only one complaint about BWW and it's a personal pet peeve of mine:  If you have a food item in your namethat item should be excellent.  
Exactly.  Just like the awful donuts at Dunkin.

Frostillicus said:
I should mention I live in Minnesota, where they are headquartered so maybe they take a little more care in the wings or something, but every BWW I've been to in town has had pretty huge wings.
Not in Maplewood (you probably don't slum it over here much).  Go to BWW in Maplewood for lunch, and then to D Spot in Oakdale and see how they compare.  There is no comparison.

i dont know guys i have never had much so its been a lot of dive bars and crummy joints now that i am a lot older i can go in to a place like this and basically as long as the food is even midly ok i just like being in a nifty joint with a lot of tvs and games on here and there and some kids running around shootin at tv deer games and stuff and i like that it just sort of makes me happy so hey swc says bw3 is aok by him take that to the bank bromigos 

apalmer said:
Before they were a chain, Quaker Steak wings were great.  Once they expanded beyond that first little hole-in-the-wall location, they went downhill in a hurry.
I lived in that little hole in the wall from when I was 19 through my 20s. 

Users who are viewing this thread