What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Build your perfect QB (1 Viewer)

Galileo

Footballguy
According to this tweet, Shedeur Sanders was recently asked to build the perfect QB. He broke down names in 6 categories with himself listed in 4 of them:

Football IQ: Shedeur Sanders
Accuracy: Tom Brady
Mobility: Mike Vick
Arm Strength: Shedeur Sanders
Toughness: Shedeur Sanders
Competitiveness: Shedeur Sanders

Here are my initial thoughts...

Football IQ: Ryan Fitzpatrick...dude is definitely smart, but does it all translate to the game? Maybe not, but I am giving him the nod here.
Accuracy: Tom Brady...Will agree with Sanders on this one
Mobility: Steve Young was my first thought, but can't argue with Vick too much.
Arm Strength: Dan Marino...if actually measured for distance, I bet several QBs thoughout history are pretty close to each other
Toughness: Brett Favre
Competitiveness:
Peyton Manning...was swaying between him and Brady, but went with Manning here since I used Brady elsewhere.

What would your perfect QB look like?

Narcissism : Shady Sanders/Jeff George

Football IQ : Joe Montana / Tom Brady / Peyton Manning
Accuracy : Drew Brees / Tom Brady
Mobility : Randall Cunningham / Michael Vick
Arm Strength : Patrick Mahomes / Dan Marino / Dan Fouts
Toughness : George Blanda / Brett Favre
Competitiveness: Peyton Manning / Tom Brady

going with different current players

Football IQ : Brock Purdy
Accuracy : Tua Tagovailoa
Mobility : Lamar Jackson
Arm Strength : Matthew Stafford (in his prime)
Toughness : Josh Allen
Competitiveness: Patrick Mahomes

Tangent here, but Brady's Accuracy was merely above average. Not great. Brady is 1000% the answer to football IQ here, so long as the ability to read the field is encapsulated in that.

That is completely what made Brady so great, and why he was so great is simple in the end.

If you blitz Brady, he finds the hot read and punishes you, so you can't blitz him.

If you play zone against Brady, he knows where the soft spot is and punishes you, so you can't play zone against him.

That left teams primarily playing man-to-man coverage against him with a 4 man rush. So NE loaded up on "man beaters" (heh) like Welker and Edelman that are impossible to cover in man coverage from the slot.

The throws to those guys were easy throws. They did most of the work and Brady's task on those plays was easy. But only because Brady would murder the defense if they tried to play a different defense that took that away. And then of course, since you couldn't blitz him, there were those plays where the pass rush didn't get there and he could just sit back there for 10 seconds and no matter how many guys you have in coverage, you're going to get toasted on those plays.

Last edited:
IQ: Montana
Accuracy: Aikman
Mobility: Lamar
Arm Strength: Marino Favre
Toughness: Unitas
Competitiveness: Brady/Starr

Last edited:
IQ: Peyton Manning
Accuracy: Drew Brees
Mobility: Patrick Mahomes
Arm Strength: Jamarcus Russell
Toughness: Brett Favre
Competitiveness: Tom Brady

IQ: Peyton
Mobility: Cunningham
Arm Strength: George
Toughness: Favre
Competitiveness: Brady
Leadership: Prescott

I added another category, as leadership is a big part of being a QB(Jeff George had a cannon for an arm, knew the game well enough, but was a trainwreck when it came to leadership). Also, I know I have two former Cowboy QB's listed. I have tried to keep homerism out of it. I honestly feel the two(Aikman for accuracy and Dak for leadership are good choices). If you can point to someone better, I will listen.

On accuracy, 13 of the top 20 all-time completion percentage quarterbacks are active right now. Dak Prescott, whom I love is fourth all time. That tells you everything you need to know about that statistic in the modern NFL.
Saw two votes for Aikman for accuracy. Both cowboys fans?

He’s a career 61% passer.

Montana was 63%. Young 64%.

On accuracy, 13 of the top 20 all-time completion percentage quarterbacks are active right now. Dak Prescott, whom I love is fourth all time. That tells you everything you need to know about that statistic in the modern NFL.

We watched him play. It’s not that uncommon for former players and coaches to mention him.

Completion percentage isn’t the end all be all. Are you saying that Teddy Bridgewater and Jimmy Garoppolo are more accurate than most quarterbacks who have played in this league?

Last edited:
Accuracy: Rodgers
Mobility: Lamar
Arm Strength: Favre
Toughness: Elway

We watched him play. It’s not that uncommon for former players and coaches to mention him.

Completion percentage isn’t the end all be all. Are you saying that Teddy Bridgewater and Jimmy Garoppolo are more accurate than most quarterbacks who have played in this league?
Definitely don’t think I said anything close to that. I said two guys from his era were clearly more accurate.

You chose Aikman as your most accurate QB. I just think that’s a clearly biased take, which is fine.

I also saw you post that Emmitt was a better RB than Barry, so you have a track record. :lol:

Definitely don’t think I said anything close to that. I said two guys from his era were clearly more accurate.

You chose Aikman as your most accurate QB. I just think that’s a clearly biased take, which is fine.

I also saw you post that Emmitt was a better RB than Barry, so you have a track record. :lol:

Wait, so that’s not what you said but then you go on to say two guys “were clearly more accurate”, citing their completion percentage as evidence? Do you understand how that is contradictory?

I never said Emmitt was better than Barry. I said that Emmitt was a more compete back than Barry. Choosing between Emmitt/Barry/Walter/Campbell/etc is splitting hairs.

Wait, so that’s not what you said but then you go on to say two guys “were clearly more accurate”, citing their completion percentage as evidence? Do you understand how that is contradictory?

I never said Emmitt was better than Barry. I said that Emmitt was a more compete back than Barry. Choosing between Emmitt/Barry/Walter/Campbell/etc is splitting hairs.
Steve Young had a higher completion percentage, higher yards per attempt, and a better INT% than Troy Aikman. Joe Montana had a higher completion percentage, higher yards per attempt, and a better INT% than Troy Aikman. I very quickly found two quarterbacks who were much more accurate than him that played during his era. I'm sure there are more. It's one of the few things in this exercise we could look at somewhat objectively. You're entitled to your opinion that if you were building the perfect QB Troy Aikman's accuracy is what you'd want. You're just wrong.

Cherry picking Teddy Bridgewater and Jimmy Garoppolo is irrelevant and had nothing to do with the point I was making.

Steve Young had a higher completion percentage, higher yards per attempt, and a better INT% than Troy Aikman. Joe Montana had a higher completion percentage, higher yards per attempt, and a better INT% than Troy Aikman. I very quickly found two quarterbacks who were much more accurate than him that played during his era. I'm sure there are more. It's one of the few things in this exercise we could look at somewhat objectively. You're entitled to your opinion that if you were building the perfect QB Troy Aikman's accuracy is what you'd want. You're just wrong.

Cherry picking Teddy Bridgewater and Jimmy Garoppolo is irrelevant and had nothing to do with the point I was making.

What you stat nerds always seem to forget is it isn’t like they’re playing the exact same teams under the exact same conditions under the exact same offensive scheme along side the exact same players.

Steve Young played in the west coast offense consisting of short passes and dump offs to the best receiver to have ever played the game in mostly sunny conditions.

Aikman played on the east coast in a run first offense.

NONE of what either of us are talking about defines how accurate a quarterback is.

I didn’t cherry pick anything, most of the guys in the top 20 completion percentage, I wouldn’t consider to be more accurate than Troy Aikman, Joe Montana, or Bart Starr.

IMHO Troy Aikman put the ball exactly where it needed to be with pin point precision.

You disagree and that’s ok. I would never say anything suggesting that “your opinion is wrong”.

It’s a thread asking peoples opinions, wtf would you say that? Weird take.

Last edited:
Mobility: Cunningham
Arm Strength: George
Toughness: Favre
Leadership: Prescott

I added another category, as leadership is a big part of being a QB(Jeff George had a cannon for an arm, knew the game well enough, but was a trainwreck when it came to leadership). Also, I know I have two former Cowboy QB's listed. I have tried to keep homerism out of it. I honestly feel the two(Aikman for accuracy and Dak for leadership are good choices). If you can point to someone better, I will listen.
Leadership is something that I thought should have been added too, but I think that would be Montana's category to lose.

Part of that imo are the softening of the game and more strict rules on defense but also better offensive play design and a shift to favor higher % throws over deeper shots.

Part of that imo are the softening of the game and more strict rules on defense but also better offensive play design and a shift to favor higher % throws over deeper shots.
Of course. That's why you compare players across similar eras.

Football IQ: Tony Romo
Accuracy: Troy Aikman
Mobility: Quincy Carter
Arm Strength: Dak Prescott
Toughness: Roger Staubach
Competitiveness: Craig Morton
Kicking Leg: Danny White
Clapping Hands: Jason Garrett

I mean, you did say build MY perfect QB.

All Around Funny Guy: Babe Laufenberg

Accuracy: Montana
Mobility: Young
Arm Strength: Elway
Toughness: Stabler

Are there era adjusted football stats?

Are there era adjusted football stats?
Our own Chase Stuart's Take

Interesting results.

Troy Aikman pretty far down @ #65 btw. :shrug:
Out of all the players listed, you have a massive obsession with Troy Aikman being included. It’s kind of weird at this point. The man was accurate. Sorry you don’t like our pick.

If only Troy Aikman threw more dump offs to the running backs, then he might be considered more accurate.

Very nice. I think you need to find a category for Don Meredith. I know the Cowboys weren't very successful under his regime, but he was the original!

Switch out Quincy to Cunningham......after all he did play for them at one point.....

Users who are viewing this thread