What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bunch of riots going on (1 Viewer)

Wat? Have you read this thread?!? 
In the sense that maybe this is the straw that broke the camel's back, sure.  I mean, these protests and riots would not be going on right now if the stupid cop didnt do what he did.  

If there are people who think it's all about this one incident with no thoughts of the past then yeah, they are wildly inaccurate.  

Nuked my social media accounts last night.  May be temporary, but will see.  Most of my social media "friends" are family members, but it's still hard to reason with either side.  Shouldn't be surprised I guess since I'm not proud of what I'm seeing from the media.

Can you copy and paste article or link it? I have seen tons of rumors of this on facebook/nextdoor but nothing I would take seriously yet. 

Saw a picture yesterday of some of the rioters in St. John pulling a huge flag from an administrative building and burning it. Made me so upset, and that's never made me upset before. They should be hung for the violence they were causing, the damage to property and spirit. 

In a rightful hegemony, they would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally -- and I'll go on record here -- would like to see them shot and killed. No bones, no nothing about it.

Dead. 
let's look at the rationale here, though ... of course the ####### Post sensationalizes the headline as "Sheriff Says It's Open Season!!!1!", when, in fact, he's issuing some very prudent advice: "DON'T #### WITH THE GUN OWNERS"  ... he then goes on to acknowledge he supports the protest and it's cause.

thing is, most of the destruction, like here in NYC, is going on in gun free areas ... but when/if the #### hits the 'burbs in those states where the home/business owner can legally carry, well it's gonna get ugly. 

this presser was from yesterday ... wonder if any trouble hit Polk County?

🤔

Can you copy and paste article or link it? I have seen tons of rumors of this on facebook/nextdoor but nothing I would take seriously yet. 
It's happened in Chicago, they hit a lot of the burbs west of the City, North Riverside, Cicero, Oak Brook, Lombard, Naperville.

An article or a local Facebook post?
I’m sure some soccer mom decided the black guy delivering her grub hub order looked too suspicious. 

My neighborhood looks exactly the same as always. Yard work, bikes, power walkers, etc...  you’d have no idea what’s happening right now. 

Pretend I just woke up from a coma.  Why is rioting going on these past few days?
Note this is about the rioting and looting, not actual protests. The protests and marches are obviously about Floyd, but I don’t think the rioters and looters are good people who want to be heard and make changes.

Federal law enforcement officials tell CNN they are aware of organized groups who are seeking to carry out the property destruction and violence, using the cover of the legitimate protests in Minneapolis and elsewhere. Those domestic extremist groups include anarchists, anti-government groups often associated with far-right extremists and white supremacy causes, and far-left extremists who identify with anti-fascist ideology. 

In the past, some of the groups have been known to organize and travel specifically to confront police and destroy property, according to federal law enforcement officials, who say they've seen a similar pattern in Minneapolis and other cities where protests have turned violent in recent days.

let's look at the rationale here, though ... of course the ####### Post sensationalizes the headline as "Sheriff Says It's Open Season!!!1!", when, in fact, he's issuing some very prudent advice: "DON'T #### WITH THE GUN OWNERS"  ... he then goes on to acknowledge he supports the protest and it's cause.

thing is, most of the destruction, like here in NYC, is going on in gun free areas ... but when/if the #### hits the 'burbs in those states where the home/business owner can legally carry, well it's gonna get ugly. 

this presser was from yesterday ... wonder if any trouble hit Polk County?

🤔
Nope.

We had a cop get killed here a few years ago.  When they caught the guy they shot him 68 times.  When asked why 68 times?  Grady Judd said, "Because we ran out of bullets."

Note this is about the rioting and looting, not actual protests. The protests and marches are obviously about Floyd, but I don’t think the rioters and looters are good people who want to be heard and make changes.

Federal law enforcement officials tell CNN they are aware of organized groups who are seeking to carry out the property destruction and violence, using the cover of the legitimate protests in Minneapolis and elsewhere. Those domestic extremist groups include anarchists, anti-government groups often associated with far-right extremists and white supremacy causes, and far-left extremists who identify with anti-fascist ideology. 

In the past, some of the groups have been known to organize and travel specifically to confront police and destroy property, according to federal law enforcement officials, who say they've seen a similar pattern in Minneapolis and other cities where protests have turned violent in recent days.
Thank you.  I was going to make this same basic point and was curious if anyone else had anything to dispute it.

Most of what I  have seen in my city and in the various news reports elsewhere suggest that the people doing the rioting and looting are quite distinct from the people protesting.  If the anyone is not aware of that, they really need to keep it in mind.

Thank you.  I was going to make this same basic point and was curious if anyone else had anything to dispute it.

Most of what I  have seen in my city and in the various news reports elsewhere suggest that the people doing the rioting and looting are quite distinct from the people protesting.  If the anyone is not aware of that, they really need to keep it in mind.
In that article you could see CNN tripping all over themselves to make the rioters seem not so bad. It’s obvious that there are some people taking advantage of the situation and it really is overshadowing the point of the protests. If you want change, you need people on board. The rioting and looting is the opposite of that and that’s a shame.

Right, so the rioting is happening because of this incident.  Some organized groups are just using the protests to help things along.  

So if the rioters are not even about the cause and are just anarchists.......shoot em all??  Maybe

Right, so the rioting is happening because of this incident.  Some organized groups are just using the protests to help things along.  

So if the rioters are not even about the cause and are just anarchists.......shoot em all??  Maybe
eventually that's what's going to happen to stop this madness

peaceful protests are long gone - now its a buncha hoodlums terrorizing the cities

Saw a picture yesterday of some of the rioters in St. John pulling a huge flag from an administrative building and burning it. Made me so upset, and that's never made me upset before. They should be hung for the violence they were causing, the damage to property and spirit. 

In a rightful hegemony, they would be.
It’s a flag. All of the human life, eyes from rubber bullets, glass, sneakers, cars and electronics stolen or damaged, a flag is the least valuable thing. From a friend to a friend, your take here scares me. 

Man, so many layers to this one. Been trying to organize my thoughts to try and figure how some things. And really, where do we go from here. Just gonna place these here randomly because they need to get out of my head:

1. This pot has been boiling for hundreds of years.  The rage and anger are real. And as far as I am concerned, justifiable. I cannot begin to feel that rage and anger and pain. I cannot feel the discrimination. The profiling. The looks of contempt or suspicion. 

2. White America is to blame for this. And for those that want to say "America is the land of opportunity - anyone can succeed if they just try" - this statement makes me want to scream out loud. We can't expect a population to want more or to succeed when there are institutional and social barriers to that success. 

3. Personally I am focusing on the protests and not the looting. 

How do we fix this? 

1. At the household level, any remnants of racism that exists in my being dies with me. It was prevalent in my household growing up. But not in my household. My kids will not have this. My kids will know love and respect. Racism is learned. Not on my watch.

2. I believe police departments needs to do a better job of screening applicants and weeding out candidates before they are ever brought into the academies. I am not in law enforcement and have no idea how their screening process works, but it seems a more stringent methodology would be a good start.

3. Hold these people accountable. When they commit a shooting or kill someone that is a crime, convict them. Stop hiding behind police unions. Stop hiding behind the fear of the police. When it is so obviously wrong that all of us can see it, it's wrong and should be punished.

4. As society members, we have to be open to change. We have to be open to black citizens to move into neighborhoods without your fear of what happens to your property value. We have to allow black citizens the same access to better education and opportunity. If you are afraid of black Americans moving into your neighborhoods and your kids schools - THAT is white privilege.

5. This is a very large battle that we all have to be willing to fight for the good of humanity. If we all hide in our bubbles and all we do is post "I Support You" memes on your facebook pages - that is not going to cut it. I don't know what I am going to do moving forward. I don't know how yet. But I'm going to figure it out and do something. This has got to stop.

Man, so many layers to this one. Been trying to organize my thoughts to try and figure how some things. And really, where do we go from here. Just gonna place these here randomly because they need to get out of my head:

1. This pot has been boiling for hundreds of years.  The rage and anger are real. And as far as I am concerned, justifiable. I cannot begin to feel that rage and anger and pain. I cannot feel the discrimination. The profiling. The looks of contempt or suspicion. 

2. White America is to blame for this. And for those that want to say "America is the land of opportunity - anyone can succeed if they just try" - this statement makes me want to scream out loud. We can't expect a population to want more or to succeed when there are institutional and social barriers to that success. 

3. Personally I am focusing on the protests and not the looting. 

How do we fix this? 

1. At the household level, any remnants of racism that exists in my being dies with me. It was prevalent in my household growing up. But not in my household. My kids will not have this. My kids will know love and respect. Racism is learned. Not on my watch.

2. I believe police departments needs to do a better job of screening applicants and weeding out candidates before they are ever brought into the academies. I am not in law enforcement and have no idea how their screening process works, but it seems a more stringent methodology would be a good start.

3. Hold these people accountable. When they commit a shooting or kill someone that is a crime, convict them. Stop hiding behind police unions. Stop hiding behind the fear of the police. When it is so obviously wrong that all of us can see it, it's wrong and should be punished.

4. As society members, we have to be open to change. We have to be open to black citizens to move into neighborhoods without your fear of what happens to your property value. We have to allow black citizens the same access to better education and opportunity. If you are afraid of black Americans moving into your neighborhoods and your kids schools - THAT is white privilege.

5. This is a very large battle that we all have to be willing to fight for the good of humanity. If we all hide in our bubbles and all we do is post "I Support You" memes on your facebook pages - that is not going to cut it. I don't know what I am going to do moving forward. I don't know how yet. But I'm going to figure it out and do something. This has got to stop.
This is a good post and I generally agree and share your experience.  I had racism in my household growing up (my parents moved out of my childhood home when the neighborhood became more diversified).  I moved back into my neighborhood specifically for that reason, so my kids could go get a multicultural experience and education in high school.  It has been great for them.

But the bolded is what I struggle with as well.  I don't subscribe to slactivism and agree it can prevent people from doing more, thinking they are doing something by posting on social media.  That doesn't help, but I don't know what to that can make a difference.

ghostguy123 said:
In the sense that maybe this is the straw that broke the camel's back, sure.  I mean, these protests and riots would not be going on right now if the stupid cop didnt do what he did.  

If there are people who think it's all about this one incident with no thoughts of the past then yeah, they are wildly inaccurate.  
Your own posts seem to contradict this quite clearly.

Also, more accurately, these protests wouldn't be going on if that stupid cop hadn't been recorded. That fact is much more important than the cop's actions. And that's the point of the protests... These things happen all the time without repercussions. Unless, of course, it's on video.

the store owner in Dallas who was set upon by about 10 people, then beaten over the head (one used a skateboard) and kicked repeatedly, has died. 

the little ####s made sure to rob him as he laid there bleeding profusely out the head and dying, to boot. 

i'm with @rockaction on this, those ####s need to be dealt with as severely as they dished it out. 

ETA: looking for confirmation on this, none yet ... good buddy of mine who works for the City told me the dude passed ... so let's see what news there is

the store owner in Dallas who was set upon by about 10 people, then beaten over the head (one used a skateboard) and kicked repeatedly, has died. 

the little ####s made sure to rob him as he laid there bleeding profusely out the head and dying, to boot. 

i'm with @rockaction on this, those ####s need to be dealt with as severely as they dished it out. 

ETA: looking for confirmation on this, none yet ... good buddy of mine who works for the City told me the dude passed ... so let's see what news there is
It appears he's in stable condition.   

I’m sure some soccer mom decided the black guy delivering her grub hub order looked too suspicious. 

My neighborhood looks exactly the same as always. Yard work, bikes, power walkers, etc...  you’d have no idea what’s happening right now. 
Same here, kids playing out in the street, folks going about their business.  We have a small commercial downtown that saw its business board up windows in anticipation of something (btw, it's not locals that are out there, it's people coming in from out of town).  Nothing happened.  

Same thing with a neighboring city.  There was supposed to be a "peaceful protest" at a mall (huh, convenient for looting if things get out of hand), but windows were boarded up ahead of time and hardly anyone showed up.

Now, on our local news we see how vastly different things are in Los Angeles proper.  We are an hour south in the 'burbs and so far so good.

People really think some sinister group is putting bricks out for looters?

In areas where they are doing construction it is common to have bricks stored.  Newsflash, they are used to build stuff.

Same here, kids playing out in the street, folks going about their business.  We have a small commercial downtown that saw its business board up windows in anticipation of something (btw, it's not locals that are out there, it's people coming in from out of town).  Nothing happened.  

Same thing with a neighboring city.  There was supposed to be a "peaceful protest" at a mall (huh, convenient for looting if things get out of hand), but windows were boarded up ahead of time and hardly anyone showed up.

Now, on our local news we see how vastly different things are in Los Angeles proper.  We are an hour south in the 'burbs and so far so good.
I am local and I was at the protest and recognized at least 20 people I know who live in HB at the protest.  My daughter who graduated HBHS and 6 of her Musical Theater friends were constantly yelled at to "go back where you came from".   Lots of grown men getting in the faces of young girls and stealing their signs on Main Street as they walked back to their cars.  My wife and I walked back up Main Street, and based on the behavior we experienced we are never going to buy another bike at a certain bike store, nor dine at the establishments nearby it.  I was disgusted by the behavior of the locals "protecting" downtown and even more so by how proud of themselves they are.  

I am local and I was at the protest and recognized at least 20 people I know who live in HB at the protest.  My daughter who graduated HBHS and 6 of her Musical Theater friends were constantly yelled at to "go back where you came from".   Lots of grown men getting in the faces of young girls and stealing their signs on Main Street as they walked back to their cars.  My wife and I walked back up Main Street, and based on the behavior we experienced we are never going to buy another bike at a certain bike store, nor dine at the establishments nearby it.  I was disgusted by the behavior of the locals "protecting" downtown and even more so by how proud of themselves they are.  
Interesting, totally the opposite story of what I've been hearing.  Everyone I know (locals, of course) is saying that folks are coming in from "out of town".

Hope you and your family were able to express to those dolts that you are locals.

I live in Oak Park, IL, and I've always been proud of the fact that my community - which borders on the west edge of Chicago - was a national leader in the 1960s working for integrated housing. A friend from church, who passed away in 2005, was one of the leaders of that movement and helped to establish a fair housing ordinance in our town. (Fun fact: that friend, Bob James, played baseball at Yale in the late 1940s with George HW Bush.)  To this day, houses for sale cannot post a For Sale sign on the lawn, as that was the cause of a lot of "white flight" decades earlier.  

Protest going on about 3 miles from my house at a major intersection southeast of Tampa. The major roads are closed, but the protest is remaining calm and quite vocal. 

People keep saying the bricks are from Queen latifah...but then they say the right wingers gave them to her? Or wanna be her? Huh?

Users who are viewing this thread