What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bush to the Bears (2 Viewers)

I mean really. Disrespected? Seriously? I wish someone would disrespect me by offering me $14 or $15 million guarenteed. Disrespected for signing a quality backup? Did Jay Cutler go pissing and moaning on twitter when they added Jason Campbell? No. Did Devin Hester complain when they added Weems? Did Earl Bennet wimper on twitter when the Bears added Marshall? No. Forte needs to either sign the respectable contract the Bears have offered (numerous times) or shut up. Apparently being franchised (i.e. being paid like a top 10 at your position) is being "disrespected". Big baby. Child (and he is acting like one) please! Sheesh!
You're not looking at this the way you need to. To you & me, the money Forte has been offered is huge. But, I'm a teacher (making >$45,000), and I look at my BIL, who is a lawyer, and I want to punch him in the face when I hear him complain that his 6-figure salary is unfair compensation. The fact is, though, that for his job position, in his field, and the number of years he has worked there, he IS underpaid.Another key difference is that you, I, my BIL, we can all shop our skills/services around to the highest bidder. Forte can't. The Bears have paid his back-ups large salaries, while paying him peanuts. He has not held out, which is a legitimate option pursued by NFL players under the CBA. In short, he has honored his contract, while out-performing it. They, in turn, have not given him a (in his view) fair contract. Sure, he is guaranteed $7M with the franchise tag, but in the last year, Foster, Johnson, and Williams all got more than $20M guaranteed. When your career is short, and could end at any moment (as NFL RBs' are, and could), playing on a 1 year deal, with "only" $7M guaranteed, when you could/should have another $13M guaranteed isn't a good option.If the Bears respected what Forte has done (both on the field, and by honoring his contract), they'd work out a deal with him, that is fair to both sides.
Ray Rice has much greater reason to complain, and isn't. He knows the rules under the CBA. If he has another good year, he will make a big pay next year. The truth is that Forte is a good, though not great back.

After this seasons deal Forte will have made close to 12 million dollars in his NFL career, and still only be 27-28. Not a bad wage. The Bears offered to pay Forte more than Frank Gore signed for, more than Amad Bradshaw signed for but Forte refused. Those guys are his peers..even though I like both of them better than Forte.

Take the 8 million tag money and go out and have a great season. Then get tagged again for another 8 million and your have your 16 million..or sell yourself to the highest bidder if you think you can get more elswhere.

After this seasons deal Forte will have made close to 12 million dollars in his NFL career, and still only be 27-28. Not a bad wage. The Bears offered to pay Forte more than Frank Gore signed for, more than Amad Bradshaw signed for but Forte refused. Those guys are his peers..even though I like both of them better than Forte.Take the 8 million tag money and go out and have a great season. Then get tagged again for another 8 million and your have your 16 million..or sell yourself to the highest bidder if you think you can get more elswhere.
Blow your knee our this season and never see another dime.

I mean really. Disrespected? Seriously? I wish someone would disrespect me by offering me $14 or $15 million guarenteed. Disrespected for signing a quality backup? Did Jay Cutler go pissing and moaning on twitter when they added Jason Campbell? No. Did Devin Hester complain when they added Weems? Did Earl Bennet wimper on twitter when the Bears added Marshall? No.

Forte needs to either sign the respectable contract the Bears have offered (numerous times) or shut up. Apparently being franchised (i.e. being paid like a top 10 at your position) is being "disrespected". Big baby. Child (and he is acting like one) please! Sheesh!
You're not looking at this the way you need to. To you & me, the money Forte has been offered is huge. But, I'm a teacher (making >$45,000), and I look at my BIL, who is a lawyer, and I want to punch him in the face when I hear him complain that his 6-figure salary is unfair compensation. The fact is, though, that for his job position, in his field, and the number of years he has worked there, he IS underpaid.Another key difference is that you, I, my BIL, we can all shop our skills/services around to the highest bidder. Forte can't. The Bears have paid his back-ups large salaries, while paying him peanuts. He has not held out, which is a legitimate option pursued by NFL players under the CBA. In short, he has honored his contract, while out-performing it. They, in turn, have not given him a (in his view) fair contract. Sure, he is guaranteed $7M with the franchise tag, but in the last year, Foster, Johnson, and Williams all got more than $20M guaranteed. When your career is short, and could end at any moment (as NFL RBs' are, and could), playing on a 1 year deal, with "only" $7M guaranteed, when you could/should have another $13M guaranteed isn't a good option.

If the Bears respected what Forte has done (both on the field, and by honoring his contract), they'd work out a deal with him, that is fair to both sides.
Ray Rice has much greater reason to complain, and isn't. He knows the rules under the CBA. If he has another good year, he will make a big pay next year. The truth is that Forte is a good, though not great back.
Baltimore said when they placed the franchise tag on Rice, it was to enable them to negotiate a long-term deal. I'd be willing to bet that when they announce a long-term contract, it won't be a "low-ball" offer, or if it is, he won't sign it.The truth is that Forte is a huge part of the Bears offense, and he has been for a while. NFL players have two ways to get new contracts or contracts renegotiated: 1-play them out and become a FA, or hold out. Forte did option 1, and he got "rewarded" with a 1 year deal, worth about 1/3 of the guaranteed money that he's probably worth. Now, he can go with option 1, AGAIN, and hope he doesn't get hurt, and the Bears don't stay cheap, or he can go with option 2, and hold out.

If option 1 didn't work the first time, why should he expect it to work the 2nd time?

After this seasons deal Forte will have made close to 12 million dollars in his NFL career, and still only be 27-28. Not a bad wage. The Bears offered to pay Forte more than Frank Gore signed for, more than Amad Bradshaw signed for but Forte refused. Those guys are his peers..even though I like both of them better than Forte.Take the 8 million tag money and go out and have a great season. Then get tagged again for another 8 million and your have your 16 million..or sell yourself to the highest bidder if you think you can get more elswhere.
Then take the fracking deal they are offering.

1-that offer was never confirmed, as far as I've read.2-the rumor of that offer said it was worth about $13M-$14M guaranteed, similar to what Gore had gotten. Gore is almost 3 years older than Forte, and (before last year), Forte was much more durable than Gore. Why should a RB in the prime of his career accept a deal that a RB on the down-swing of his career had just received? The DeAngelo Williams' contract is a better comparison, and the comparison still favors Forte. Williams had one monster year, and other than that, Forte has been in his ball park (Williams YPC is higher, but Forte's passing stats balance that out, IMO). 3-You suggest playing this year, getting tagged again, and making his guaranteed money that way. What happens if he blows a knee out? Then he's screwed, because by the time he recovers, he will be getting to the end of the shelf-life of you typical RB, and won't be able to earn the money he is capable of earning now. If the Bears are going to treat this as a business, then why shouldn't Forte?

1-that offer was never confirmed, as far as I've read.2-the rumor of that offer said it was worth about $13M-$14M guaranteed, similar to what Gore had gotten. Gore is almost 3 years older than Forte, and (before last year), Forte was much more durable than Gore. Why should a RB in the prime of his career accept a deal that a RB on the down-swing of his career had just received? The DeAngelo Williams' contract is a better comparison, and the comparison still favors Forte. Williams had one monster year, and other than that, Forte has been in his ball park (Williams YPC is higher, but Forte's passing stats balance that out, IMO). 3-You suggest playing this year, getting tagged again, and making his guaranteed money that way. What happens if he blows a knee out? Then he's screwed, because by the time he recovers, he will be getting to the end of the shelf-life of you typical RB, and won't be able to earn the money he is capable of earning now. If the Bears are going to treat this as a business, then why shouldn't Forte?
They should both treat it like a business, and they both are. Neither side is really wrong or right.

Show a fracking link to this offered deal. Not a link to a rumor of a deal, or whisperings of a deal, or unsubstantiated reports of a deal, but an actual link. You don't know what the Bears offered.If, in the last two years, two of your co-workers (who you are just as good at), got 6-figure bonuses, but you were given "only" $30K, would you be happy with that?

They should both treat it like a business, and they both are. Neither side is really wrong or right.
Agreed, so why do you seem so angry with Forte for his stance here?

Agreed, so why do you seem so angry with Forte for his stance here?
Yah, may seem that way, I'm just tired of reading the "Forte is screwed and the team is jobbing him" vibe.If you say Forte is screwing the team by not signing the franchise tag then I would disagree as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Show a fracking link to this offered deal. Not a link to a rumor of a deal, or whisperings of a deal, or unsubstantiated reports of a deal, but an actual link. You don't know what the Bears offered.If, in the last two years, two of your co-workers (who you are just as good at), got 6-figure bonuses, but you were given "only" $30K, would you be happy with that?
You are right, I don't know what they offered and just using the same rumoured numbers as a benchmark.In terms of your scenario, this is tough. These guys play in a collectively bargained workplace. There are rules on how things work, if he doesn't like them he needs to take that up with the union. Obviously that won't always work, so he's got to work the rules in his favor as much as possible.How do you think the teacher who is an all-star feels when the mediocre teacher is making more money because they started 2yrs earlier. It sucks, but you gotta work within the rules.

Then he should be mad at his player union and fellow players that agreed to the CBA. The union that represents him, negotiated that. They’re the ones who have given the owners the power to keep them off the open market with the franchise tag.

RBs are low on the NFL food chain right now.

Then he should be mad at his player union and fellow players that agreed to the CBA. The union that represents him, negotiated that. They’re the ones who have given the owners the power to keep them off the open market with the franchise tag.
Here's what I don't get. IF he blows his knees out he will have earned $12MM in his career (using someone else's estimate from above). He is set for life.IF Matt Forte wants additional security he signs a longer term deal with more than $8MM guaranteed...I don't know what's being offered but I have to believe more than $8MM is on the table.IF Matt Forte wants to go for max earnings he signs the franchise and hopes he stays healthy, and then next year sign another tag at $8MM+ or a long term deal then.The key here is that Matt Forte is set, all the options are at his discretion. I weep for him that the Bears aren't as dumb as the Titans.

After this seasons deal Forte will have made close to 12 million dollars in his NFL career, and still only be 27-28. Not a bad wage. The Bears offered to pay Forte more than Frank Gore signed for, more than Amad Bradshaw signed for but Forte refused. Those guys are his peers..even though I like both of them better than Forte.

Take the 8 million tag money and go out and have a great season. Then get tagged again for another 8 million and your have your 16 million..or sell yourself to the highest bidder if you think you can get more elswhere.
Show a fracking link to this offered deal. Not a link to a rumor of a deal, or whisperings of a deal, or unsubstantiated reports of a deal, but an actual link. You don't know what the Bears offered.

If, in the last two years, two of your co-workers (who you are just as good at), got 6-figure bonuses, but you were given "only" $30K, would you be happy with that?
You are right, I don't know what they offered and just using the same rumoured numbers as a benchmark.In terms of your scenario, this is tough. These guys play in a collectively bargained workplace. There are rules on how things work, if he doesn't like them he needs to take that up with the union. Obviously that won't always work, so he's got to work the rules in his favor as much as possible.

How do you think the teacher who is an all-star feels when the mediocre teacher is making more money because they started 2yrs earlier. It sucks, but you gotta work within the rules.
The union would tell him to hold out. He hasn't done that. He has played out his contract, which he has greatly out-performed, and trusted the Bears to reward him with a fair contract. They did not, in his opinion. Based on the market value of recent contracts of comparable RBs (Bradshaw, Gore, Lynch, D Williams-I don't consider Chris Johnson and Arian Foster to be in the same grouping of RBs), Forte should be able to command 4-5 years, $25+M, with $17+M guaranteed. If the Bears aren't offering that, while at the same time are giving significant money to a back-up/competition RB, they are to blame for this "mess."

Here's what I don't get. IF he blows his knees out he will have earned $12MM in his career (using someone else's estimate from above). He is set for life.IF Matt Forte wants additional security he signs a longer term deal with more than $8MM guaranteed...I don't know what's being offered but I have to believe more than $8MM is on the table.

IF Matt Forte wants to go for max earnings he signs the franchise and hopes he stays healthy, and then next year sign another tag at $8MM+ or a long term deal then.

The key here is that Matt Forte is set, all the options are at his discretion. I weep for him that the Bears aren't as dumb as the Titans.
Let's assume he signs the franchise tag, and plays. If he strains a hamstring, or "tweaks" an ankle or knee, and decides to take his time, make sure he is completely healthy, 100% before he comes back (in order to protect his financial future), rather than pushing himself to get back, maybe coming back at 85-90% in order to get on the field and help the team (like Hillis this last year), how would you feel about that?

Show a fracking link to this offered deal. Not a link to a rumor of a deal, or whisperings of a deal, or unsubstantiated reports of a deal, but an actual link. You don't know what the Bears offered.

If, in the last two years, two of your co-workers (who you are just as good at), got 6-figure bonuses, but you were given "only" $30K, would you be happy with that?
You are right, I don't know what they offered and just using the same rumoured numbers as a benchmark.In terms of your scenario, this is tough. These guys play in a collectively bargained workplace. There are rules on how things work, if he doesn't like them he needs to take that up with the union. Obviously that won't always work, so he's got to work the rules in his favor as much as possible.

How do you think the teacher who is an all-star feels when the mediocre teacher is making more money because they started 2yrs earlier. It sucks, but you gotta work within the rules.
The union would tell him to hold out. He hasn't done that. He has played out his contract, which he has greatly out-performed, and trusted the Bears to reward him with a fair contract. They did not, in his opinion. Based on the market value of recent contracts of comparable RBs (Bradshaw, Gore, Lynch, D Williams-I don't consider Chris Johnson and Arian Foster to be in the same grouping of RBs), Forte should be able to command 4-5 years, $25+M, with $17+M guaranteed. If the Bears aren't offering that, while at the same time are giving significant money to a back-up/competition RB, they are to blame for this "mess."
Well as you said earlier...I don't think either of us know if the Bears offered him a fair contract or not. Certainly not in Forte's eyes, but he's obviously a bit biased...especially if he is comparing himself to Chris Johnson and Arian Foster.The significant money they gave Bush is less than half of what Forte would earn under the franchise tag.

I think we both agree, its a business, they are both doing whats best for them. Forte should want big bucks and fight for it. The Bears probably disagree that a contract negotiation is a mess and aren't overly concerned, Forte is the only one making it that way with the public pity comments.

Here's what I don't get. IF he blows his knees out he will have earned $12MM in his career (using someone else's estimate from above). He is set for life.IF Matt Forte wants additional security he signs a longer term deal with more than $8MM guaranteed...I don't know what's being offered but I have to believe more than $8MM is on the table.

IF Matt Forte wants to go for max earnings he signs the franchise and hopes he stays healthy, and then next year sign another tag at $8MM+ or a long term deal then.

The key here is that Matt Forte is set, all the options are at his discretion. I weep for him that the Bears aren't as dumb as the Titans.
Let's assume he signs the franchise tag, and plays. If he strains a hamstring, or "tweaks" an ankle or knee, and decides to take his time, make sure he is completely healthy, 100% before he comes back (in order to protect his financial future), rather than pushing himself to get back, maybe coming back at 85-90% in order to get on the field and help the team (like Hillis this last year), how would you feel about that?
Within reason I think that his right and I wouldn't blame him...that is part of the risk the Bears are taking and why a negotiated deal with Forte is in their best interest.Of course, if Matt gets a 1yr $3MM deal the next offseason then that's on him.

I agree with part of this - except that it applied last year. What I mean is, Forte should have held out last year and forced the Bears to franchise last year or renegotiate. But he didn't. The Bears shouldn't make a bad decision in reciprocation. Secondly, many people think that Williams to an extent and most especially Lynch were over-payed given their production (Lynch has had about 3/4 of 1 good year - other than that, mediocre). So no, I don't blame the Bears for throwing the same amounts of money around, simply because two teams, both of whom are considered fairly inept orginzations, have done so.Third, lets keep in mind that many of the promises Forte was given last year, were from a GM who no longer works for the Bears - so the new GM should not be expected to live up to promises made my a previous regime - especially if he sees them as poor business decisions. Nor should he be feeling the heat from Forte simply because another offer (better than the $13-$14 million guaranteed that Forte has allegedly turned down) hasn't been the first priority. As long as Forte has a new deal in place by training camp, all should be fine (in the mind of an incoming GM). The new GM's job at the opening of FA is to sign FA. Forte is not a FA - he is a franchised player under contract (if he signs his franchise tender).

When he was making $500k I feel for him but at $7.7M I'd just tell him to enjoy his retirement.

The significant money they gave Bush is less than half of what Forte would earn under the franchise tag.
Granted, in the last 3 years they have spent in FA something like:$7m for Chester Taylor

$2.6m for Barber

$7m for Bush now too

And Bush seems like a better signing, but that other money has shown little return backing up Forte.

When he was making $500k I feel for him but at $7.7M I'd just tell him to enjoy his retirement.
500k is 10 years or work for alot of people, i don't feel for him at that price either.

500k is 10 years or work for alot of people, i don't feel for him at that price either.
Absolutely, but I'm only comparing him to what his peers have made. For example, Felix Jones has made more than double what Forte has.

Absolutely, but I'm only comparing him to what his peers have made. For example, Felix Jones has made more than double what Forte has.
Yea, i totally understood what u were saying, just gets to me sometimes, even though i do understand Forte's side of the argument.

I think forte should sign his tender, tweak his hamstring, and then not come back to work until he's 100%. If that's all season, no big deal, he can do the same next year at a 20% increase.

The bears are killing themselves internally with this play. It may be smart from a theoretical business perspective. But in all other ways it's wrong and will cost them over time.

Invest your 8 million conservatively and live off the interest for the rest of your life comfortably...

I think forte should sign his tender, tweak his hamstring, and then not come back to work until he's 100%. If that's all season, no big deal, he can do the same next year at a 20% increase. The bears are killing themselves internally with this play. It may be smart from a theoretical business perspective. But in all other ways it's wrong and will cost them over time.
I dont think it works this way. They have team doctors, if he is cleared he has to play, or pay his fine for holding out.

I think forte should sign his tender, tweak his hamstring, and then not come back to work until he's 100%. If that's all season, no big deal, he can do the same next year at a 20% increase. The bears are killing themselves internally with this play. It may be smart from a theoretical business perspective. But in all other ways it's wrong and will cost them over time.
I dont think it works this way. They have team doctors, if he is cleared he has to play, or pay his fine for holding out.
And he won't be franchised next year, he'd be given the hillis treatment

The significant money they gave Bush is less than half of what Forte would earn under the franchise tag.
Granted, in the last 3 years they have spent in FA something like:$7m for Chester Taylor

$2.6m for Barber

$7m for Bush now too

And Bush seems like a better signing, but that other money has shown little return backing up Forte.
:goodposting: bush MAY have more left in the tank than the other 2 did, but he's another older (28), and really was very pedestrian and worn down - especially 2nd half last year...really why he didn't find a big market. I don't think it'd shock anyone if he were a mediocre 3.5 ypc backup

he may well be one of the better backup rbs in league right now, but there's also a fresh crop of college rbs coming in that are much cheaper. i thought he did well to get what he did in fa

$2.6m for Barber

$7m for Bush now too

:goodposting: bush MAY have more left in the tank than the other 2 did, but he's another older (28), and really was very pedestrian and worn down - especially 2nd half last year...really why he didn't find a big market. I don't think it'd shock anyone if he were a mediocre 3.0-3.5 ypc backup

he may well be one of the better backup rbs in league right now, but there's also a fresh crop of college rbs coming in that are much cheaper. i thought he did well to get what he did in fa

From the Chicago Tribune about why they signed Bush, it does not seem like Forte is getting much love from the local press with his comments.

Bush can do some things Forte cannot. At 245 pounds, Bush has more than 25 pounds on Forte. Bush can have the same effect on defenders that a bowling ball has on pins. According to STATS, 54 percent of his 977 rushing yards were gained after contact.

His mass and power also make him an effective short-yardage player. On third and fourth downs with one yard to go last year, Bush converted 68 percent of his chances. Forte, by comparison, converted less than 40 percent of his chances.

None of Bush's seven touchdown runs were for more than three yards.

The Bears invested in Bush even though he is 1 1/2 years older than Forte, which might stick in Forte's craw. But unlike Forte and most comparable backs, Bush has low miles on his odometer.

He sat out most of his last college season and his first NFL season with a broken leg and last season was the first time in his career he had more than 200 carries. Since Bush started playing in 2008, 23 players have more carries.

He has 382 fewer carries than Forte, and 446 fewer than Brandon Jacobs, another big free agent the Bears could have pursued. In this regard, Bush is different from the two previous backups the Bears signed. Bush has 410 fewer carries than Marion Barber did when the Bears signed him and 396 fewer than Chester Taylor did.

The louder and longer Forte complains, the happier the Bears are to have Michael Bush.

dpompei@tribune.com

I am a Bush fan, always have been....but, what I did not like was how he really was gassed the last couple of weeks last year. Pretty sure he could not carry the full load if needed.....for more than just a few weeks.

I am a Bush fan, always have been....but, what I did not like was how he really was gassed the last couple of weeks last year. Pretty sure he could not carry the full load if needed.....for more than just a few weeks.
Definitely agree with this. If Forte isn't signed Bears need another back.

Definitely agree with this. If Forte isn't signed Bears need another back.
He will sign. He'd be a complete moron not to at this point. The Bears have him over a barrel. They don't have to trade him (nor would they) - they surely aren't going to cut him.He has three choices at this point in time:1) Sign his franchise tender and play for $7.8 million2) Sign whatever deals the Bears offer him between now and camp - likely making between $13 million and $18 million (if the Bears tweak their offer a bit) for a 4-5 year deal.3) Hold out/sit out and make $0 (and watch Michael Bush and Brandon Marshall take the Bears to the playoffs without you)At his age, and the money he'd be leaving on the table, it would be a horrible business decision to sit out. He knows it and the Bears know it. That's why he's so angry - that's why he's tweeting (trying to drum up fan support) and that's why he's having a bunch of former Bears tweet/talk to the press on his behalf. I do find it funny that players talk about "it's a business" all the time - yet as soon as the team does that to them (i.e. signs a backup to cover their butts or franchises a good player to make sure he can't bolt) - players freak out and tweet and whine.Hint: being payed as one of the top 5 at your position (franchise tagged) is NOT disrespect.

so what would Bush's value be right about now?
He is a very good hand cuff and depth guy for teams with thin RB situations.He will end up being a flex start at best. Most weeks he will be useless if he does not score a td. I don't buy the he is a much better receiving back than Barber stuff either. His pro career does not show it and he won't be used in many situations with him purposely coming out of the back field to catch passes.

Users who are viewing this thread