What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

BYU/Duke Volleyball race hoax (1 Viewer)

parasaurolophus

Footballguy
npr tweet...Link

So duke volleyball player says a man was yelling slurs every time she served during the match.

There is no video evidence. At all. In this day and age, that seems pretty close to impossible.

What likely happened here? Colorado rockies mascot situation? Players aunt spotted off on social media and the ball just started rolling from there?

Just plain liar and con artist?

Last edited:
Your link didn't open. It just downloaded something on my computer. Thanks.
But I remember this story. The girl might have honestly thought she heard it. Apparently the guy her family blamed was cleared when BYU reviewed the footage. I thought Coach Staley's reaction at SC was pretty bad. She cancelled their basketball games with BYU and even after the review found no trace of the N-word, Staley refused to back down, more or less saying that she already knew BYU would never reveal the real evidence.
Whenever I see videos of black people beating up a white person, inevitably commenters will be asking, "Did he say the N-word?" Because that would make everything OK. They can kill a person for saying the N-word and it would be justified.

Clay Travis addressed this last week. The girl told her grandmother who made it a big issue (she may even be running for some public position). Apparently her facebook is full of race related issues, so this was right down her lane.

His main point of contention was that the media didn't even verify story before they ran it

His main point of contention was that the media didn't even verify story before they ran it

If a player alleges something like this, how much additional evidence should be gathered before running the story?
Anything that corroborated the story would have been a great start. You can't support the media running with any allegation they want. Its just poor journalism.

If a player alleges something like this, how much additional evidence should be gathered before running the story?
Anything that corroborated the story would have been a great start. You can't support the media running with any allegation they want. Its just poor journalism.
Didn't BYU initially offering an apology corroborate the story?

Enough that you know it is true...if you followed this case, it was not cut and dry from the beginning as there were questions from the get-go...in this day and age where this type of situation can destroy someone's life, tarnish a reputation or lead to violence it is absolutely irresponsible for the media to run with a story of this magnitude without collaboration...in this case a full investigation took place and while the player believes she heard something there is no evidence supporting this claim...yet, for BYU and the fan accused a lot of damage has been done and they can't get that back...too much of our media runs with or doesn't run with a story if it fits a narrative that they support...just so we are clear that goes for all sides of the media but in this case it was definitely driven by the MSM.

Didn't BYU initially offering an apology corroborate the story?
I'd have to read the apology. I haven't seen it. If it says something like that type of behavior is unacceptable at BYU and they are looking into it.... no.

When the media runs with stories that later turn out to be false, it hurts their credibility especially with those who mistrust them already. I’m a big fan of the MSM and strongly believe in their integrity as a general rule, so I hate to learn when they get something wrong.

Is this a serious fricking question? Really? WTH? This is a joke, right?

Are you guys really so used to Trump-style/yellow journalism that you think that's normal now? That it is a-OK to print stories without verifying them?

When the media runs with stories that later turn out to be false, it hurts their credibility especially with those who mistrust them already. I’m a big fan of the MSM and strongly believe in their integrity as a general rule, so I hate to learn when they get something wrong.

Isn't that journalism 101? Verify twice, print once?

Isn't that journalism 101? Verify twice, print once?
I have a problem with both if true.

The implication here seems to be that they ran with this without corroboration because they are trying to push an agenda. I’m very skeptical of that. Racism exists, and it remains a major problem in our society. The media correctly realizes this. But they should have corroborated this story:

So, your problem is that they got it wrong? NOT that they didn't corroborate the story first? Isn't that journalism 101? Verify twice, print once?
In theory. But that got overtaken with our 24/7 news and instant update culture. Outlets are rewarded for running with something before fully verifying, so they keep doing it. It's a win-win because odds are they will be right, and if not, they won't be punished for it anyway because like I said - this is what we get with our insta-update culture.

The implication here seems to be that they ran with this without corroboration because they are trying to push an agenda. I’m very skeptical of that. Racism exists, and it remains a major problem in our society. The media correctly realizes this. But they should have corroborated this story:
It could be just trying to be "first" with breaking news, which happens too much in today's world.

It could be just trying to be "first" with breaking news, which happens too much in today's world.
So that makes it okay?

So that makes it okay?
It doesn’t. But if you and others are trying to make a larger argument about the media pushing a political agenda, it doesn’t make it that either.

It's also important to read the initial story to see if they actually got it wrong. "Player Jane Doe stated X, Y, and Z. BYU suspended fan John Doe, apologized to Duke and Jane Doe, and will look into the matter." isn't wrong.

It's also important to read the initial story to see if they actually got it wrong. "Player Jane Doe stated X, Y, and Z. BYU suspended fan John Doe, apologized to Duke and Jane Doe, and will look into the matter." isn't wrong.
Fair point

So that makes it okay?
I don't think it's ok to run a story without corroborating it.

I bet the guy accused of racism sees it a little differently...also, let's put a little context into this...if this was a story on the back pages and was written in a manner that said we will report on this further as we get more detail on it that is one thing...that is not the case here...it became a very big and national story right away and to a point that BYU had teams cancel on it without any collaborating evidence to support the claim.

Fair point
No, it isn't

Hypothetical: a losing presidential candidate baselessly (or at least without objective corroborating evidence) claims he lost the election because the other side cheated.

Should the media run the story?

Hypothetical: a losing presidential candidate baselessly (or at least without objective corroborating evidence) claims he lost the election because the other side cheated.

They say allegedly in the story right?

Sure, yes.

Staying on topic here...after a thorough investigation which shows her accusations are false should she be charged with a crime?

Duke Lacrosse team flashabcks and the racism that flowed freely for months on that whole thing :(
Eh, I think (assuming arguendo that it's a false claim) that this more aligns with Smollett. On other words, it's a baseless claim that the media probably shouldn't have reported.

The Duke lacrosse story is different because the state (i.e. the prosecutor - who is now disbarred I believed) pushed the matter despite knowing that the clams were likely false. As such, that was bad government behavior as opposed to bad media behavior.

Staying on topic here...after a thorough investigation which shows her accusations are false should she be charged with a crime?
No (since she didn't falsely report a crime) but there may be a basis for a civil lawsuit.

Should the media stay on this one from 2020? Seems like our former candidates can`t accept losing.

Hillary Clinton is sticking with her conviction that the 2016 presidential election was not conducted legitimately, saying the details surrounding her loss are still unclear.

“There was a widespread understanding that this election [in 2016] was not on the level,” Clinton said during an interview for the latest episode of The Atlantic’s politics podcast, The Ticket. “We still don’t know what really happened.”

“There’s just a lot that I think will be revealed. History will discover,” the Democratic Party’s 2016 presidential nominee continued. ‘Whoa, something’s not right here.’ That was a deep sense of unease.”

In August, Clinton said Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden should not concede the upcoming November election “under any circumstances if he loses” because she believes “this is going to drag out, and eventually I do believe he will win if we don’t give an inch, and if we are focused and relentless.

They should run it nightly on the prime-time opinion shows.

In August, Clinton said Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden should not concede the upcoming November election “under any circumstances if he loses” because she believes “this is going to drag out, and eventually I do believe he will win if we don’t give an inch, and if we are focused and relentless.
I can't stand Hillary, but if you read the entire context of the discussion, she was suggesting that Biden should not concede the night of the election, not "don't concede ever".

Eh, I think (assuming arguendo that it's a false claim) that this more aligns with Smollett. On other words, it's a baseless claim that the media probably shouldn't have reported.

The Duke lacrosse story is different because the state (i.e. the prosecutor - who is now disbarred I believed) pushed the matter despite knowing that the clams were likely false. As such, that was bad government behavior as opposed to bad media behavior.

true Lacrosse was taken to the extreme - guilty until proven innocent but Smollett went way beyond what it should have too

media controls - they do - which is why I'm always careful for what to believe and what not to

I can't stand Hillary, but if you read the entire context of the discussion, she was suggesting that Biden should not concede the night of the election, not "don't concede ever".

I read it that Biden shouldn't concede at all " “under any circumstances if he loses” because she believes “this is going to drag out, and eventually I do believe he will win if we don’t give an inch, and if we are focused and relentless."

she meant that just how it reads IMO

Sure, yes.
If the candidate alleges something I have no issues with the press running it as alleged. This was a case where the press reported it happened and it never did.

Clay Travis addressed this last week. The girl told her grandmother who made it a big issue (she may even be running for some public position). Apparently her facebook is full of race related issues, so this was right down her lane.

Dammit Fox, we know MSM wouldn’t resort to sloppy journalism.

My nephew was the victim of a horrible racism hoax in college and it literally could’ve ruined his career after college. Fortunately they found evidence that it was fabricated. The University did nothing to punish the hoaxer.

Sure, yes.
If the candidate alleges something I have no issues with the press running it as alleged. This was a case where the press reported it happened and it never did.
Where did they do that?

Sure, yes.
Where did they do that?

Sure, yes.
Where did they do that?

Whatever happened to “alleged”? Whoever thinks the media isn’t biased is flat out dumb.

Sure, yes.
Where did they do that?

Whatever happened to “alleged”? Whoever thinks the media isn’t biased is flat out dumb.
I don’t have a NYT subscription so I won’t comment on that one but the initial CNN article had the expected “according to” language. They messed up on that follow up article. My guess is the BYU Twitter apology was what lead them astray. Regardless, despite their bias, that seems to have been a poor decision.

Users who are viewing this thread