What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cam Cameron to the Ravens (1 Viewer)

Mungo Burrows

Footballguy
I first saw this at PFT:

POSTED 9:55 a.m. EST, January 23, 2008RAVENS ADD CAMERON by Michael David SmithA league source tells PFT that the Baltimore Ravens have added former Dolphins head coach Cam Cameron to their coaching staff.Although official word on Cameron's title has not been released, it is assumed that he will be the Ravens' offensive coordinator. Cameron had a five-year stint as the Chargers' offensive coordinator before the Dolphins hired him a year ago.Cameron is the first high-profile hiring of new Ravens head coach John Harbaugh, who previously had been reported to be close to hiring Eagles quarterbacks coach Pat Shurmur to be the Ravens' offensive coordinator.Next up for Harbaugh is securing a defensive coordinator. The Ravens would like to keep Rex Ryan on the staff, but Ryan may decide to head elsewhere after being passed over for the top job.
Then I just heard on the radio (WNST 1570) that Aaron Wilson (Local ravens beat writer) is reporting Cameron is in the Ravens training facility "upstairs, negotiating". I don't have a link, but hopefully that's enough corroboration to appease the PFT haters.

Should have stayed with the Chargers. Why do owners think coordinator success equates head coach success? Better yet, why does every coordinator think they can be the head coach?

He has done a poor job in College and the pros. His team played well while he was the OC in SD. IMO it was the result of the team and talant and not him. JMO

Should have stayed with the Chargers. Why do owners think coordinator success equates head coach success? Better yet, why does every coordinator think they can be the head coach?
Thank you for influencing me not to ask for that next promotion. What was I thinking?

I don't have a link, but hopefully that's enough corroboration to appease the PFT haters.
On a tangent, this is the kind of stuff -- personnel moves, including coaching and front office personnel -- that PFT usually gets right.That doesn't mean they aren't stupid in a few other areas -- but I guess the same could be said of anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
This pool smells like urine...
But no seriously.... I mean Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, Tom Coughlin, Jack Del Rio, Mike Tomlin, Bill Belichick, Mike McCarthy, Gary Kubiak.... on and on and on all agree with you I am sure. No owner in their right mind should ever hire a succesful or even mediocre coordinator to run their team. It only leads to bad things.

I'm pretty sure all coaches aspire to be a HC one day. The gig comes with the spotlight and a big pay increase.

good news for mcgahee owners, i would think...
Haha. Haha.
You don't think? Splain it to me.
McGahee just isn't good.
Dude was one of the most consistent FF RBs in 2007.Double digit points in 14 of 16 weeks.
Agreed. And I don't think the Ravens used him right, either. I haven't analyzed the game logs, but it seemed to me in watching the games that he'd be run in spurts - a lot, then forgotten about. I also think they should have thrown to him more.FF-wise, he might not have torn it up but look at the other RBs. Not many that were as consistent.

As for Cameron, I'll admit to not having any kind of handle on his O philosophy. Given Baltimore's personnel, what will the offense look like? (insert obligatory QB joke here)

Human nature..don't you think you can do your bosses job, or something higher up the corporate ladder?many of these coordinators spend 15 hour days at the office, as much as the HC.they probably figure if I work the same amount as my boss, and know just as much about football as he does, then why am I not a HC by now?and the HC's make a lot of $$, and have a lot of input with trades/drafts, etc...a coordinator is an assistant chef, he makes the soups and peels the shrimp.the HC steams the lobster and crab legs, and broils the steaks to perfection. He also shops for the produce and meats, makes inventory lists, makes a list of who works and when, makes the 'tonight's specials' list, etc..If I was a coordinator under Marty Shottenheimer, after a few years, I'd begin to think 'hey , I KNOW I can win a playoff game, what's this guy's problem?!'..

Agreed. And I don't think the Ravens used him right, either. I haven't analyzed the game logs, but it seemed to me in watching the games that he'd be run in spurts - a lot, then forgotten about. I also think they should have thrown to him more.FF-wise, he might not have torn it up but look at the other RBs. Not many that were as consistent.
I thought just the opposite. I thought teams expected him and passing was a good idea. Mason (somewhat) quietly had a solid season.Heap is treated as their star player IMO. If he's out, the offense is "eh". If he's in everything seems to click better. I don't think he's to be relied upon and they'd probably be better suited considerring him gravy.

I thought just the opposite. I thought teams expected him and passing was a good idea. Mason (somewhat) quietly had a solid season.Heap is treated as their star player IMO. If he's out, the offense is "eh". If he's in everything seems to click better. I don't think he's to be relied upon and they'd probably be better suited considerring him gravy.
McGahee was steady this past season. Not an elite FF RB, but not a slouch either. I agree with your comments on Heap, but he still needs a QB to get the ball to him. Boeller isn't the answer and I'm not sold on Smith yet. I think Cam will bring some life out of this offense, but I still see them needing a few more FAs/Rookies to rebuild the offense. I think QB should be a top priority for them this off-season.

McGahee was steady this past season. Not an elite FF RB, but not a slouch either. I agree with your comments on Heap, but he still needs a QB to get the ball to him. Boeller isn't the answer and I'm not sold on Smith yet. I think Cam will bring some life out of this offense, but I still see them needing a few more FAs/Rookies to rebuild the offense. I think QB should be a top priority for them this off-season.
If replacing Ogden is not a priority(his position, his leadership etc everything about the guy) they will regret it. Sure, they could use some help at positions us FFers love but, he's been part of the foundation. Whatever skill position player will be renderred useless if their line stinks.

If replacing Ogden is not a priority(his position, his leadership etc everything about the guy) they will regret it. Sure, they could use some help at positions us FFers love but, he's been part of the foundation. Whatever skill position player will be renderred useless if their line stinks.
This is true. I've heard from various fans that Baltimore has some young olinemen that are ready to step up. I haven't seen this myself, but it definitely wouldn't help to spend a Day 1 pick on a good OLT.

This is true. I've heard from various fans that Baltimore has some young olinemen that are ready to step up. I haven't seen this myself, but it definitely wouldn't help to spend a Day 1 pick on a good OLT.
ITYM hurt not help

ITYM hurt not help
sorry...the Browns fan in me took over typing that last sentence. :thumbdown:

Users who are viewing this thread