What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cam Newton is a baby... needs to grow up before he can be a leader (1 Viewer)

DeaLerZ

Footballguy
This guy plays like a rich kid who never learned what it means to struggle. As soon as he began to struggle he DID NOT RISE TO THE OCCASION. He played worse, and since I have been watching his short career this has been a consistent thing.

He plays like a spoiled brat, when he does good he acts like he is "superman", and when he plays bad he looks like a spoiled brat who didn't get his way. It seems to me that Cam likes the all the things that come along with being in the spot light, and enjoys doing things to get himself there, but he is NOT A TEAM LEADER.

Once during the game, I saw a coach trying to review an interception, and the defensive coverage with Cam while he was sitting on the bench, and it was clear that, "Cam thinks he is too good", and didn't even attempt to take the constructive criticism that the coach was offering...the guy wouldn't even look at what the coach was trying to show him, shows he has got a lot of growing up to do.. and throughout the night you didn't see Cam trying to pump up his players or trying to get any better...he was sitting by himself all night...When you saw Peyton Manning throw 3 picks in the first quarter last week, you saw him looking over the defensive schemes, and getting his team fired up.. almost leading them to a comeback victory

"If I was a fan of the Carolina Panthers I would be holding my head down in shame." - Cam Newton

What leader says that??

Not to mention, I have family and friends of friends that have interacted with Cam Newton... and all of them have the same story.... "He is kind of a ####".......acts like he is better than people, and has let his rapid rise to stardom affect his "humility"... he thinks he is better than everyone

the Carolina Panthers have no leadership... especially not from Cam Newton at this time.. and if they are ever going to be a good team.. someone whether it is the coaching staff or some players need to step up..

Ron Rivera is not the coach this team needs... we need a Mike Tomlin type coach that gets the players fired up, and isn't afraid to push around the star players

PAGING BILL COWHER

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I wasn't willing to buy into him this season. I don't trust his head. Yet. I was willing to if he came out strong again, but he's showing the signs of why I didn't like him coming into the league. It just takes a different type of mentality to play QB.

I agree with you. The whole towel over the head thing, not talking to teammates, chewing gum during the game, and his body language is all childish. I don't think he has done one thing to change from last year. His footwork is HORRIBLE and he makes poor decisions on the field. He is immature and I don't feel like that will ever change.

Leaders are born. He will never be a leader.

Part of the appeal of last night's game for me was seeing Newton for the first time. I was unimpressed. Hopefully it was just a bad night. I posted in the game thread that it seemed like every play was some sort of gimmick or trick play especially in the first half. Second half looked more conventional and I think they looked somewhat better. Newton was off though on his throws.

This is why I wasn't willing to buy into him this season. I don't trust his head. Yet. I was willing to if he came out strong again, but he's showing the signs of why I didn't like him coming into the league. It just takes a different type of mentality to play QB.
I am not in disagreement.however, with some QB's this is something they grow over time. I'd say this is the biggest problem for young QB's in general. I dont deny, some QB's are natural leaders coming out of college and take an offense and make it their own from day one. Others need time to do this. I think hes tough enough to bounce back, but he needs to gain some character. Losing sometimes will force a player to look deep inside himself and sometimes when that happens a different person and different player will emerge. Sometimes that player will be better than before, sometimes not so much. I have a feeling we are about to find out what this kid is made of over the next year or two.

I agree too. I think he has the potential to be a good QB in this league. He has the talent, no doubt, he's just not mature enough. Time will tell if he gets there or not.

But the thing last night that really struck me as odd was right after he scored their only touchdown and he did his whole superman routine. I get that he scored and that is his thing, but come on, you're playing terrible, your team is playing terrible and they're getting their ### handed to them. That was a time to try and get your team fired up and back into the game, not to try and get the spotlight to shine on you.

I'm probably over reacting, but it just didn't sit well with me. And I'm not a fan or a teammate, I would only imagine it'd be 10x worse if I was.

I am not in disagreement.however, with some QB's this is something they grow over time. I'd say this is the biggest problem for young QB's in general. I dont deny, some QB's are natural leaders coming out of college and take an offense and make it their own from day one. Others need time to do this. I think hes tough enough to bounce back, but he needs to gain some character. Losing sometimes will force a player to look deep inside himself and sometimes when that happens a different person and different player will emerge. Sometimes that player will be better than before, sometimes not so much. I have a feeling we are about to find out what this kid is made of over the next year or two.
Oh I'm not ruling it out from ever happening, it's just why I didn't buy in August. He has to change and everything he's shown to date indicates he won't. That said, he's still an idiot young 20-something, most of us were pretty dumb at that stage of our lives. There's time to adjust.

I agree with you. The whole towel over the head thing, not talking to teammates, chewing gum during the game, and his body language is all childish. I don't think he has done one thing to change from last year. His footwork is HORRIBLE and he makes poor decisions on the field. He is immature and I don't feel like that will ever change.

Leaders are born. He will never be a leader.
We've seen this before...http://s1.djyimg.com/i6/5090733241482.jpg

This sounds exactly like LeBron James when he went to Miami...

people that dont know him making judgements on his character, classic.

This sounds exactly like LeBron James when he went to Miami...people that dont know him making judgements on his character, classic.
Sounds like the people who do know him weren't thrilled with his attitude last night either.Joe Person ‏@josephpersonSteve Smith, when Cam Newton sat on the bench after he was benched Thurs, said he lit into Newton on the sideline with "unchoice words."Joe Person ‏@josephpersonSecond time in as many seasons Panthers captains have had to address Newton's demeanor. @RyanKalil and Jordan Gross did it late last season.

I really do worry that this is a problem with Ron Rivera. He is emotion-less. Where the heck is his fire?

After Cam's body language last night I was honestly rooting for Clausen to come in and have Cam sit to make a point.

he admitted last year that he had a problme with it and that was one thing he needed to work on to become a better leader. Back to the drawing board I guess.

This is some of the same kind of stuff people were wondering about when 500 days ago they said the Panthers were nuts for taking Cam 1st overall.

Steve Smith ripped Newton after the game for his actions.

Newt needs to stop the Superman routine when his team is getting their asses kicked and he is playing crappy. Shows his immaturity. Newt has all the makings of the next Jay Cutler.

His chewing gum like a camel chewing straw made me go ballistic about 10 times last night.

Im surprised my TV didnt receive an uppercut from me at some point during the game.

newton is a grade A biaaaaaaatch

This sounds exactly like LeBron James when he went to Miami...people that dont know him making judgements on his character, classic.
Ok, so who is the Dwyane Wade to Newton's James? Who's saving Newton from the fire?I agree about the towel on the head thing. the great QBs, or at least even those who want to be good, are on the sidelines talking to coaches, reading gameplans, looking at photos, rustling up the bench, watching the game and the replays. TV production and what angles and shots the producers choose can affect viewer perception but this truly appears to be a problem for Newton.

Steve Smith ripped Newton after the game for his actions.Newt needs to stop the Superman routine when his team is getting their asses kicked and he is playing crappy. Shows his immaturity. Newt has all the makings of the next Jay Cutler.
I thought the same thing.....dude it's 24-7....no need with the hot dogging....do it when you tie the game or go ahead not when you're getting crushed. It was embaressing.

Cam has some growing up to do, no doubt. But lets keep some things in perspective. The kid is a hard worker and he hasn't pointed the finger at anyone but himself. This isn't a Jay "Not my fault" Cutler situation, here.

The body langauge needs to improve; he openly stated such last year, but it hasn't shown on the field yet. It has to, no doubt. In college, it is much easier to be a leader when you never lose a game and when you're that much better than everyone else.

Ok, so who is the Dwyane Wade to Newton's James? Who's saving Newton from the fire?I agree about the towel on the head thing. the great QBs, or at least even those who want to be good, are on the sidelines talking to coaches, reading gameplans, looking at photos, rustling up the bench, watching the game and the replays. TV production and what angles and shots the producers choose can affect viewer perception but this truly appears to be a problem for Newton.
He didn't have to LeBron matured and did it on his own.He is 23 guys, what were you like at 23? and don't give me a load of crap about how you were mature... because you weren't

your comparing Newton to guys like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady... who are all at least 5 years(Brady is 12) older than him.

At 23 Drew brees was throwing as many picks as he was TDs(17 to 16 in 2002) with a 76 QB rating...

At 23 Tom Brady had 3 career passes and 1 completion

At 23 Aaron Rodgers had thrown 31 career passes, 15 of them completions, 0 touchdowns and 1 interception

HE'S 23, cut him some slack

When you enter a professional workforce to be professional is expected. Sorry, but college is over....he's with grown men and needs to act like one. Not only that, but he has been in the league a year and clearly has not learned anything. Jay Cutler is what he's going to become REALLY FAST.

Newton is a hard worker and always has been. He won two National Champtions, at two different levels, back-to-back. He followed up one of the best college season every, with the best rookie season ever. I don't think his desire to win can be questioned, at all. And the bolded.

When you enter a professional workforce to be professional is expected. Sorry, but college is over....he's with grown men and needs to act like one. Not only that, but he has been in the league a year and clearly has not learned anything. Jay Cutler is what he's going to become REALLY FAST.
This is not fair at all. Newton has taken responsiblity for everything he has done to this point, and hasn't pointed the finger at anyone else. Body language is subjective, and - while he needs to improve it if we wants to be a better leader - there is only so much we can fairly and logically place ourselves in his head. He has said the right things.

How do you know he hasn't learned anything? have you noticed all the top QBs are struggling so far this year?Rodgers Brady Brees Stafford are ALL struggling right now, not just Newton...You can't talk in definite's in football, or else you end up looking stupid more often than not

He didn't have to LeBron matured and did it on his own.He is 23 guys, what were you like at 23? and don't give me a load of crap about how you were mature... because you weren't

your comparing Newton to guys like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady... who are all at least 5 years(Brady is 12) older than him.

At 23 Drew brees was throwing as many picks as he was TDs(17 to 16 in 2002) with a 76 QB rating...

At 23 Aaron Rodgers had thrown 31 career passes, 15 of them completions, 0 touchdowns and 1 interception

John Keats died at the age of 24

Cam has some growing up to do, no doubt. But lets keep some things in perspective. The kid is a hard worker and he hasn't pointed the finger at anyone but himself. This isn't a Jay "Not my fault" Cutler situation, here.

The body langauge needs to improve; he openly stated such last year, but it hasn't shown on the field yet. It has to, no doubt. In college, it is much easier to be a leader when you never lose a game and when you're that much better than everyone else.
I think they call that "front running".I think if I were Cam, I would pay attnetion to Steve Smith on this one.

People need to remember how much of a "leader" Eli was (or wasn't)in the minds of the masses, before his SB win.
And Peyton's leadership/intestinal fortitude have been questioned at one point too (as well as Brees, Nowitzki)History shows the monday morning sports psychologists usually end up embarassing themselves. If its a lack of effort thing thats a different story. Clearly that is not the case with Cam.

Being 23 doesn't also give you a pass, though. How old is Andrew Luck, RGIII, the men and women in the armed forces that act professionally, the olympic gymnasts that travel the world and perform on the highest stages? At ANY age, we can all have levels of immaturity at tiems and not put our best foot forward, but as a paid professional and being smart enough to know what is expected of you, that is where the failure and disappointment comes in because he knows (and has a year of experience at this level to draw upon) what is expected and how it hurts the team when he doesn't act accordingly. Yet, he does it anyways. He basks in the glow when its good and he sulks like a troll in a cave when its not. There's a lot more his team needs him to be than just the guy taking the snap.

Being 23 doesn't also give you a pass, though. How old is Andrew Luck, RGIII, the men and women in the armed forces that act professionally, the olympic gymnasts that travel the world and perform on the highest stages? At ANY age, we can all have levels of immaturity at tiems and not put our best foot forward, but as a paid professional and being smart enough to know what is expected of you, that is where the failure and disappointment comes in because he knows (and has a year of experience at this level to draw upon) what is expected and how it hurts the team when he doesn't act accordingly. Yet, he does it anyways. He basks in the glow when its good and he sulks like a troll in a cave when its not. There's a lot more his team needs him to be than just the guy taking the snap.
:goodposting:

It may be expected but it is RARELY accomplished. In an atmosphere that encourages players to "hold-out" for big money like a child throwing a tantrum I fail to see the requirement for professionalism. I was a cocky know-it-all well paid ##### at 23 working for a fortune 500 company....I was expected to be a professional and 85% of the time I was but that last 15% didn't get worked out till I matured a bit.I don't understand passing moral/character judgement on these guys. It's a team sport and last I checked you're not on the team, so let Rivera, Smitty, and Kalil deal it. If you don't like it I'll buy your PSLs from you.

Users who are viewing this thread