What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can a religious Christian believe that abortion should be legal? (2 Viewers)

What differentiates abortion here is that pro-lifers like me don't agree that it's a victimless choice.  If somebody marries someone of the same sex, it has no effect on anyone else whatsoever.  Adultery is an issue between spouses, but doesn't directly harm anyone else.  With abortion, that's exactly the issue that the two sides (mostly) disagree on.

In other words, framing it this way is question-begging.
Sure...I was including all things that get brought up though...as well as what gets ignored constantly.

And yes...abortion is definitely a bigger issue than the other two.  Not sure how many disagree in parts though.  I wouldn't think there are many out there who "like" abortion.  I know many who abhor that it even is a thing (including me).  Where we will disagree is the federal government's role in its legality and the consequences of that.

no

laws and rules and restrictions are a reflection of the elected people who pass them at the times they pass them as well as a reflection of our Constitution that guarantees certain freedoms that eclipses morals/ethics
Isn't the refelection of the people who pass the laws a reflection of the people that voted them in?

I mean, obviously not every morally wrong thing is legislated, but most of the legislation is based on our collective morality that does change over time though

no

laws and rules and restrictions are a reflection of the elected people who pass them at the times they pass them as well as a reflection of our Constitution that guarantees certain freedoms that eclipses morals/ethics
Isn't the refelection of the people who pass the laws a reflection of the people that voted them in?

I mean, obviously not every morally wrong thing is legislated, but most of the legislation is based on our collective morality that does change over time though

Never mind -- I'm mostly checking out for the day and I can always come back to this later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you abhor abortion?
Because I believe human life is precious.  I hate that there are ever circumstances where a child is unwanted in any way.  I hate the very concept of killing that which is growing into life.

I don't feel that man should be taking life or that which will (barring outside interference) become life (without getting all scientific about when does life begin).

I hate that it is, unfortunately, a necessary evil in this world. And that there are reasons that it exists.  

850,000 lives being killed every year is not stupid
Arguing over whether abortion is "killing" that should be illegal is fine. 

Arguing over whether someone should be able to call themselves a "real Christian" if they believe in legal access to abortion is also fine, I guess. But it never really goes anywhere.

Arguing whether "religious Christians" exist who believe in legal access to abortion is nonsensical because there are clearly religious Christians who are pro-choice. 

I dunno. I personally think that legislation should reflect what is for the "greater good" of the County/State/community, not necessarily what is "moral." Plenty of immoral things are perfectly legal, and plenty of moral things are illegal. 

no

like when gay marriages were hammered through in years past - publicly people didn't want it, many states had already voted and passed definitions on same sex marriages

SC ruled and that was that

I'm sure we have many example of where popular opinion is one thing, but the lawmakers do what they do anyway

So do you think it should be illegal?
that would be a great thread I think and I'll be honest, my life detonated because of my ex-wife's adultery. I lost more than I ever thought possible, the destruction it caused to my daughter and son is a lifetime of damage that'll never go away. My close friends/family are changed by it, I lost most of my inlaws, and my inlaws lost me and my kids and my ex-wife lost everybody. Financially there were damages, emotionally, mentally ......... it never goes away, it will always be there

I'll say this, I think every marriage needs prenuptials that holds the person destroying the marriage through adultery liable. I also think a person (like me) should be able to sue an adulterer for damages mentally and financially

Arguing whether "religious Christians" exist who believe in legal access to abortion is nonsensical because there are clearly religious Christians who are pro-choice. 
ok I'll agree with that

there are many "Chrisitians" who do and believe in things that obviously are NOT Christian ,,, fake Christians are what they are

No, but what the **** is a "religious Christian?"
The "religious" part could be to delineate practicing Christians from people like me who are sometimes called "lapsed Catholics".  I went to Catholic school for 13 years (K-HS) and checked off 5/7 sacraments (including also baptizing my kids) but do not practice / believe / associate with the church anymore.  But once you're baptized, you're a Catholic forever...

Baptism is said to "[seal] the Christian with the indelible spiritual mark of belonging to Christ. No sin can erase this mark, even if sin prevents Baptism from bearing the fruits of salvation."[1] 
[1] "The Sacrament of Baptism (§1272)". Catechism of the Catholic Church. http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2.htm#VII.

This is wildly subjective and likely opens every Christian up to being considered fake depending on the subject. 
its actually Biblical

so when someone says they're Christian but are ok with 850,000 babies being killed in the womb every year ... that's their fruits showing IMO

Matthew 7:15-20

King James Version

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

ok I'll agree with that

there are many "Chrisitians" who do and believe in things that obviously are NOT Christian ,,, fake Christians are what they are
Well, if you define "Christian" as following Christ's teachings, I agree -- there are probably tens of millions of American "Christians" who aren't really Christian. Good thing you and I aren't the arbiters. 

its actually Biblical

so when someone says they're Christian but are ok with 850,000 babies being killed in the womb every year ... that's their fruits showing IMO

King James Version

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

oh, sure. That clears things up. 

its actually Biblical

King James Version

Also in Matthew 7.  Judge not

Based on your own "fruits", one could argue you're a fake Christian.  

I'd guess almost every person regardless of religious beliefs sees a newborn baby as deserving of protection of life

5 minutes before that birth  - why is that same person so worthless and undeserving of the right to live ?

I'll wait for a logical/reasonable answer - if anyone can submit one
Why do some people fight so hard for the rights of the unborn but completely neglect the support / cost (social programs, education, financial support / welfare, legislation, etc) of those children 5 minutes after they're born?  Some people don't believe in contraception or abortion but once these kids are born, who cares?  I'll wait for a logical/reasonable answer - if anyone can submit one

Well, if you define "Christian" as following Christ's teachings, I agree -- there are probably tens of millions of American "Christians" who aren't really Christian. Good thing you and I aren't the arbiters. 
the thing is, as Christian as we try to be we also all fail - but living in sin every say or accepting something immoral ... those things clearly show a person isn't even trying doesn't it ?

example - a preacher on Sunday telling congregation to not have adulterous relations then Monday-Saturday having affair. That's not a Christian who does that

Why do some people fight so hard for the rights of the unborn but completely neglect the support / cost (social programs, education, financial support / welfare, legislation, etc) of those children 5 minutes after they're born?  Some people don't believe in contraception or abortion but once these kids are born, who cares?  I'll wait for a logical/reasonable answer - if anyone can submit one
I don't know that pro-life people do what you suggest they do. That's not who I see at all in the pro-life world

I don't know anyone who is Pro Life and who also doesn't care about babies once they are born. I assume you mean you don't understand why they oppose policies that you support. It's reasonable to ask them why they oppose policy X, but not really helpful to accuse them of not caring about children.

the thing is, as Christian as we try to be we also all fail - but living in sin every say or accepting something immoral ... those things clearly show a person isn't even trying doesn't it ?

example - a preacher on Sunday telling congregation to not have adulterous relations then Monday-Saturday having affair. That's not a Christian who does that
I don't know if you are intentionally avoiding my point or not, but I'll be more clear: There are plenty of Christians who you would discount, because of their core belief, as non-Christian (regardless of any "moral failings"). And there are plenty of self-professed Christians that I would likely discount as non-Christian (regardless of any "moral failings). Including, possibly, you.

Like I said, it's a good thing you and I don't get the final say into who is a "real Christian."

Why do some people fight so hard for the rights of the unborn but completely neglect the support / cost (social programs, education, financial support / welfare, legislation, etc) of those children 5 minutes after they're born?  
It's probably pretty similar to people who think that you shouldn't be allowed to randomly slug passers-by on the street but argue for limited government in other areas of society.  What a bunch of phonies.

I don't know anyone who is Pro Life and who also doesn't care about babies once they are born. I assume you mean you don't understand why they oppose policies that you support. It's reasonable to ask them why they oppose policy X, but not really helpful to accuse them of not caring about children.
First... "some". 

Second, my point is not to say one side is right and the other is wrong but to have people consider both viewpoints.  I man be "both sides-ing" here.  Personally I think we should do everything we can to prevent abortions by preventing unwanted pregnancies, not by making them illegal.

And third, sorry but I don't have stats off the top of my head to back this up.  Did a quick internet search to see if anyone has done a better job of fleshing this out and here's a few articles that touch on it.  (Sorry, didn't mean to just Gekkobomb this with links but I have to get some work done)

The Hypocrisy of ‘Pro-Life’ and the GOP

A Priest on YouTube Called Out “Pro-Life” Hypocrisy and Viewers Were Furious

COLUMN: The predictable hypocrisy of pro-life anti-maskers

(I know the word "hypocrisy" is going to immediately turn people off and put them on the defensive but it was the easiest way to search for articles on this view, sorry) 

Also in Matthew 7.  Judge not

Based on your own "fruits", one could argue you're a fake Christian.  
that's not what that means

7 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

We are SUPPOSE to judge as humans - and judge as in making a determination on who to hand around, who to marry, who to call out when they do things wrong and when we do those things, we also should expect that we are to be judged the same

example - my ex-wife lied to me every minutes of the day for a very long time, broke all our vows, trust, faith in every way you could imagine and I never did. Its a long story but I lied to her about something. I did it for many reasons, but she was absolutely shocked and stunned that I lied to her. Called me names, said I had no honor, no dignity, my word as a man ... blah blah blah

it was beyond her that anyone could do to her what she did to everyone else - she did NOT want to be lied to, manipulated, she didn't want anyone to be unfaithful to her or to break trust .... but she was very ok with doing that to everyone else

THAT is what that scripture means I believe

We have plenty of laws that aren't based in morality.  Restrictions on gun ownership, for example.
Huh? Gun laws are based on the morality of murder, accidental death and suicide.  If we didn't care about those moral issues, gun laws wouldn't exist.

I don't know if you are intentionally avoiding my point or not, but I'll be more clear: There are plenty of Christians who you would discount, because of their core belief, as non-Christian (regardless of any "moral failings"). And there are plenty of self-professed Christians that I would likely discount as non-Christian (regardless of any "moral failings). Including, possibly, you.

Like I said, it's a good thing you and I don't get the final say into who is a "real Christian."
if they follow the teachings of the Bible I think we can all agree they're Christians - not a Branch Davidian's spin off, just good common knowledge Christian beliefs/teachings

if they don't follow those things - then they are wearing something that isn't real

its not just Christianity, every religion splinters and has watered down "believers" .......... its hard to have faith, to pray, to believe, to always do the right thing .... its also very hard when we fail to admit it and see inwards at our own mortal flaws

a panel of 9 decided killing unborn babies was ok ..... I hope a panel of 9 reverses that in my lifetime

Huh? Gun laws are based on the morality of murder, accidental death and suicide.  If we didn't care about those moral issues, gun laws wouldn't exist.
I would argue gun laws are not based on that at all

If those WERE the contributing factors, we would apply to other things as well that cause murder, death and suicide 

Public safety and morality aren't the same thing.  It's not an immoral act to accidentally swerve your car and kill someone because you were texting and driving.  Purposefully driving your car into a child playing on the sidewalk is immoral.  

Jewish person here.  I do have some questions about this and I hope you will indulge me.

1) Abortion vs. Contraception.   I get the "religious" take on abortion, but sometimes it tends to extend to contraception as well.  Since (by polling) 90% of Christians are ok with contraception, how does that circle square.

2) Abortion vs in vitro fertilization:  I've also heard that abortion is going against Gods will.  Isn't IVF also that case?  If you reject science to take a child out of the womb (and in this sense I'm narrowly looking at those cases where the health of the mother or the fetus is involved) how can you accept science to create one?

3) Finally, all people of faith "negotiate" with God as to his rules and the selecting of which one of his commandments to follow.  Why is abortion a larger stone to carry that "adultrey, bearing false witness, money lending, or being ok with guns in schools and the like" etc.  It seems like a "cherry picked" issue.

From a political perspective, how can you be "pro-life" when everything you do after the baby is born "politically" is "your on your own" (Health insurance for kids, food stamps, etc)

'

Public safety and morality aren't the same thing.  It's not an immoral act to accidentally serve your car and kill someone because you were texting and driving.  Purposefully driving your car into a child playing on the sidewalk is immoral.  
I completely disagree.   Manslaughter and accidental death are absolutely immoral.  We not only have a moral obligation not to murder, but to avoid needless death through negligence and reckless behavior.  It is why we have penalties associated with it.  If someone dies because you were being careless, you failed your moral obligation to look out for your fellow man and chose to be negligent for selfish reasons.

if they follow the teachings of the Bible I think we can all agree they're Christians - not a Branch Davidian's spin off, just good common knowledge Christian beliefs/teachings

if they don't follow those things - then they are wearing something that isn't real

its not just Christianity, every religion splinters and has watered down "believers" .......... its hard to have faith, to pray, to believe, to always do the right thing .... its also very hard when we fail to admit it and see inwards at our own mortal flaws

a panel of 9 decided killing unborn babies was ok ..... I hope a panel of 9 reverses that in my lifetime
I'll say it again in a different way in hopes that you actually respond.  You come across as being quite judgmental, something that's specifically mentioned in Mark.  Do you, who seemingly ignores this teaching by judging who is and isn't a real Christian, consider yourself a real Christian? 

I completely disagree.   Manslaughter and accidental death are absolutely immoral.  We not only have a moral obligation not to murder, but to avoid needless death through negligence and reckless behavior.  It is why we have penalties associated with it.  If someone dies because you were being careless, you failed your moral obligation to look out for your fellow man and chose to be negligent for selfish reasons.
We'll agree to disagree here. Intent is a big part of morality.  

Jewish person here.  I do have some questions about this and I hope you will indulge me.

1) Abortion vs. Contraception.   I get the "religious" take on abortion, but sometimes it tends to extend to contraception as well.  Since (by polling) 90% of Christians are ok with contraception, how does that circle square.

2) Abortion vs in vitro fertilization:  I've also heard that abortion is going against Gods will.  Isn't IVF also that case?  If you reject science to take a child out of the womb (and in this sense I'm narrowly looking at those cases where the health of the mother or the fetus is involved) how can you accept science to create one?

3) Finally, all people of faith "negotiate" with God as to his rules and the selecting of which one of his commandments to follow.  Why is abortion a larger stone to carry that "adultrey, bearing false witness, money lending, or being ok with guns in schools and the like" etc.  It seems like a "cherry picked" issue.

From a political perspective, how can you be "pro-life" when everything you do after the baby is born "politically" is "your on your own" (Health insurance for kids, food stamps, etc)

'
#1 - You are confusing Catholic doctrine with Christianity.  They are decidedly NOT one and the same.  I (and basically every other Christian denomination) have many bones to pick with Catholicism and this is one.

#2 - One is creating a wanted life, one is killing an unwanted one.  Night vs day.

#3 - It isn't a larger "stone to carry", per se, it is just one that has a legal argument involved and thus gets a lot more press.

Your last paragraph is a tired and solely political argument that ignores the massive amount of private charity work that is done by conservatives.  Just because we don't support bloated inefficient government programs doesn't mean we don't care for the unwanted babies.  Quite the opposite is true in my personal experience.

'
1) Pro-life people are pro-life because they think that abortion harms another human being.  Hardly anybody thinks that contraception does so.  So basically the folks you're describing see these as two things as completely different and distinct.  (I know Catholicism in particular takes a negative view on contraception, which I disagree with).

2) Science is completely silent on the issue of whether a fetus possesses any kinds of rights that need to be respected.  There is no "pro-science" or "anti-science" stance on abortion, other than wrongly invoking science in support of whatever position you've staked out.

3) From a strictly religious standpoint, abortion is no worse than any of the other things you cited.  From a philosophical point of view, it's (arguably) worse in the same way that murder is worse than gossip.  But that's not anything particularly rooted in Christianity.

I responded to the last point earlier in the thread.  "How can you be pro-life but still believe in limited government elsewhere" is a bad argument and you should feel bad for making it.

#1 - You are confusing Catholic doctrine with Christianity.  They are decidedly NOT one and the same.  I (and basically every other Christian denomination) have many bones to pick with Catholicism and this is one.

#2 - One is creating a wanted life, one is killing an unwanted one.  Night vs day.

#3 - It isn't a larger "stone to carry", per se, it is just one that has a legal argument involved and thus gets a lot more press.

Your last paragraph is a tired and solely political argument that ignores the massive amount of private charity work that is done by conservatives.  Just because we don't support bloated inefficient government programs doesn't mean we don't care for the unwanted babies.  Quite the opposite is true in my personal experience.
cool.  Again, I'm not sure I agree with you on #3, because much like Guns it seems that these questions don't exist to debate a position, it is more like Guns and Abortion are sacrosanct and cannot be discussed because any negotiation of a "dividing line" is a non starter (when the abortion verbiage on the right does not include health of the mother or cases of rape and incest, its a non starter for me.)

As for the last paragraph I wrote:  I also disagree.  You could support both government programs and private charity work.  My feeling on the "only charity work" and no govt. action is to benefit the concept of dependency on the church (I don't mean that as harshly as it is written, but if "the church" is helping you you need to abide by church rules rather than simply being a good citizen)

I'll say it again in a different way in hopes that you actually respond.  You come across as being quite judgmental, something that's specifically mentioned in Mark.  Do you, who seemingly ignores this teaching by judging who is and isn't a real Christian, consider yourself a real Christian? 
I WANT people to judge me and tell me what they see - tell me my flaws, tell me why I'm wrong ..... how else am I supposed to see those things? By self discovery? Its very very hard to do that!!

I would be judged by the same ways, standard, expectations that I place on others - to do otherwise is hypocritical isn't it ?

I'm a man who tries every day to be a better Christian ..... that's as real as I can be

1) Pro-life people are pro-life because they think that abortion harms another human being.  Hardly anybody thinks that contraception does so.  So basically the folks you're describing see these as two things as completely different and distinct.  (I know Catholicism in particular takes a negative view on contraception, which I disagree with).

2) Science is completely silent on the issue of whether a fetus possesses any kinds of rights that need to be respected.  There is no "pro-science" or "anti-science" stance on abortion, other than wrongly invoking science in support of whatever position you've staked out.

3) From a strictly religious standpoint, abortion is no worse than any of the other things you cited.  From a philosophical point of view, it's (arguably) worse in the same way that murder is worse than gossip.  But that's not anything particularly rooted in Christianity.

I responded to the last point earlier in the thread.  "How can you be pro-life but still believe in limited government elsewhere" is a bad argument and you should feel bad for making it.
1 - an unborn baby is vastly different than a sperm or egg

2 - wrong. Every law we have protects an unborn - can you imagine a hospital turning away a pregnant woman/prenatal care with the excuse " its not alive " ?? laws that add murder charges when unborns are killed, every law I know of protects and acknowledged unborn lives - except RvW

3 - I'd have to know what religion you're standpointing on, but murder is wrong 

2 - wrong. Every law we have protects an unborn - can you imagine a hospital turning away a pregnant woman/prenatal care with the excuse " its not alive " ??
Hospitals also treat broken bones, but nobody thinks that bones are "alive."  Pro-choice people support pre-natal care because it benefits women (who are unambiguously alive) and also lead to better outcomes for the child after birth (when it is unambiguously alive).

I don't.  It's a buzzword (Limited government). I assume manywould be perfectly ok with an "anti abortion enforcement squad" paid for by the federal government, but not with CHiP or SNaP.  There are studies that show certain interventions at a young age lead to longer mortality and healthier outcomes that, if the concept of all life being sacrosanct, would be easy to be behind.  

Ivan, you've been on the right side of arguments here for as long as this board has existed, but that seems like a dodge to me. I don't believe in "limited government' but if I did, the programs that have the best "return on investment" to the human condition would be the first place I'd spend.

Hospitals also treat broken bones, but nobody thinks that bones are "alive."  Pro-choice people support pre-natal care because it benefits women (who are unambiguously alive) and also lead to better outcomes for the child after birth (when it is unambiguously alive).
define a pregnancy 

when you do - you will have a definition of what is alive and what isn't

I submit a woman who's pregnant has a living unborn human in the womb - if the woman didn't, she'd not be pregnant

Meh - it's all just one big fairy tale with enough contradictions and nonsense that you can be a "religious Christian" no matter which side of the fence you are on. I do hope that those who start citing Old Testament as their basis of opposing abortion also fall on the side of all of the other ridiculous punishments described therein. If people actually administered the punishments listed in the Old Testament based on the Laws and Commandments we'd have to kill probably 99.99999% of the current world population - which is a rather daunting task. Of course we shouldn't forget that this wiping of the population was done once before and that rainbows (and if the universe truly is perfect - unicorns) were our gift/promise that it would never happen again. Whoops! Mulligan!

Not at all.  (Pet peeve note: the way you asked this question in the thread title is reversed from the way you asked the question in your OP).

IMO, Christianity is totally silent on the issue of whether a fetus has any intrinsic rights that need to be respected or not.  There's nothing at all stopping a Christian from being pro-choice or an atheist from being pro-life.  Things are a little more complicated in the specific case of Catholicism because of how that particular sect handles doctrinal issues, but that's unique to that one individual branch of Christianity and not true for Christianity as a whole.
As a protestant christian who tries to be thoughtful and someone who's faith is an important thing to them, I don't have a strong opinion on abortion. I can see both sides of it. 

To me, it really boils down to where life begins. And I get it, that isn't super easy. As a christian, I also have conflict over things like war and the death penalty. 

I know there's a lot more nuance to it but I usually fall back to a general feeling of: Killing Is Awful.

So to answer your question @timschochet, my answer is "I think so" but I'm not going to say with certainty I know. 

Users who are viewing this thread