What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can NFL Football Jump the Shark? (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
Okay, so we're in the Shark Pool and I just turned the television on to find Michael Irvin and some other guy playing a segment called "Hype Man" and yelling at the camera.

I think I just saw Arthur Fonzerelli in the background of the set.

What moments make you think professional football has jumped, is jumping, or might jump the shark?

I'll go with the NFL getting into bed with the gambling industry is jumping the shark as we speak.

Okay, so we're in the Shark Pool and I just turned the television on to find Michael Irvin and some other guy playing a segment called "Hype Man" and yelling at the camera.

What moments make you think professional football has jumped, is jumping, or might jump the shark?

I'll go with the NFL getting into bed with the gambling industry is jumping the shark as we speak.
The 24/7/365 media circus jumped the shark decades ago.

Between the hashes it's still must see TV.

Great answer, which is why I went to gambling. Once people don't believe the product is in earnest, they stop paying for it like it was the national religion.

It jumped the shark for me back in the mid/late 90's when I had Pats season tickets they added all the extra TV time outs. I am not sure I have watched an entire football game since then, and I ket my tickets go. I watch red zone and still play FF now, but the game is dead to me. Concussion information and gambling have only made it much worse imo.

On a side note, baseball is glorious once again. I have watched three entire games in a day on multiple occasions this season. Rule changes RULE!

Jimmy: "Hey Howie, you've got a big head!"
Everyone: "HARHARHARHARHARBWAHAHAHAHAHA!"
Howie: "Yeah? Well, you're old Jimmy!"

cut to commercial, rinse, repeat

Bill Simmons did give the world his wife's description of them as "professional chucklers." That's one thing Bill Simmons gave the world. Besides 30 for 30, that is, which is still pretty darn cool and impressive to get the mopes at Disney to take an interest in those stories.

Jimmy: "Hey Howie, you've got a big head!"
Howie: "Yeah? Well, you're old Jimmy!"

cut to commercial, rinse, repeat

Bill Simmons did give the world his wife's description of them as "professional chucklers." That's one thing Bill Simmons gave the world. Besides 30 for 30, that is, which is still pretty darn cool and impressive to get the mopes at Disney to take an interest in those stories.
I like Simmons I think but rarely engage with his work because, again that's why I'm here.

I did love his promo for his HBO show where he said "Let billionaires build their own ####$$$ stadiums"

On a side note, baseball is glorious once again

The rule changes rule, but I've noticed it slowing down a bit come the end of the year.

C'mon fellas. Throw the ball. Hit the ball. No need to do a solo dance after each pitch.
It seems like the batters are using there time out much more now for sure. It's still a million times better than it was imo.

- Really only watch Red Zone channel. I’ll watch the Steelers but even then I’m checking out other stuff because any singular NFL game is so stop/start I can’t sit through it.
- Gambling has always been inexorably linked to the NFL - they’re just admitting it explicitly now. It even took them forever to publicly get on board with fantasy and finally doing so probably breathed new life into the league. All of the stuff that sucks about the NFL - 3.5 hour games, constant commercials, concussions, fragmented viewing options etc. - would be enough to make me tune out completely if it wasn’t for gambling and fantasy to keep me engaged. I’m sure I’m not alone. The NFL almost had to get in bed with betting. Adapt or die.

Most local sports radio is worse, unless you really want to get opinions on best Cuban or best Philly sandwiches or are impressed with obscure movie references. But they occasionally give some local insight about the team and often have bona-fide gambling experts.

I was going to say a version of this exactly.

NFL network caused every network that covers the NFL to all push for a better schtick. They’re now in the who can put-schtick each other business. They hire “personalities” instead of analysts.

It’s a big circus and that’s what’s jumped the shark.

The NFL is still a fantastic product.

The NFL has not nor will it ever "jump the shark". Everything around the game has jumped,as noted above in several posts.
The NFL has a tremendous ability to take whatever is a threat to it's brand and absorb it. It changes the game to a small or large degree. Fans react and the brand moves on and
keeps growing. Several leagues over the years have posed a threat to the brand. The NFL absorbed them,some of their teams and many of their rules. The violence of the game has posed a threat at different times,the brand changed to address that,there is still a ways to go but as we see with rules and protocol changes every year,it is being addressed. Not everything works but the brand has shown an incredible ability to absorb,adjust and change the product. It surpassed MLB many years ago as "America's Game". Super Bowl Monday is a don't ask don't tell National Holiday.
Gambling was once thought a threat to the brand,it has been absorbed. Fantasy Football was embraced by the brand. I don't see any sharks circling the brands waters that need jumping.

That Houshmanzadeh/LaVar Arrington/Plaxico radio show is godawful. Seriously wonder if the producers were on drugs when they gave this the go-ahead.

It jumped the shark for me back in the mid/late 90's when I had Pats season tickets they added all the extra TV time outs. I am not sure I have watched an entire football game since then, and I ket my tickets go. I watch red zone and still play FF now, but the game is dead to me. Concussion information and gambling have only made it much worse imo.

On a side note, baseball is glorious once again. I have watched three entire games in a day on multiple occasions this season. Rule changes RULE!
Valspar v. Sherwin Williams v. Benjamin Moore round robin?

Those are paints. I don't get it.

Those are paints. I don't get it.
Watch them dry.

My only complaint is the non stop ads. You used to be able to flip between 2 games to avoid them but now it's up to 3 or 4 games. Even redzone is affected, they more and more have to go back to the studio because all the games are on break.

I disagree. I think the fact that the NFL HAS gotten into bed with the gambling industry means it probably will never jump the shark.

The core product is great. However, we are reaching the point where it is becoming difficult for normal people to watch each game. I'm pretty devoted to this and willing to devote some of my leisure budget to NFL-watching, but we're all outliers in that regard. The league needs to figure out a way to market a one-bill-for-everything package or dramatically consolidate the number of broadcast platforms they use.

Fantasy football is pretty close to jumping the shark. It's too top-heavy and there's too much information out there where you can't beat average leaguemates to waivers anymore. There's no way to improve your team. I'm guessing shorter rosters or smaller leagues is the solution at this point. I'm outscored by like almost 150 pts and I'm close to last place. How did my draft go so badly compared to the other team's draft? Blind luck and draft position, or keeper value, that's what. Early round picks that bust are just too hard to over come, especially in the top 50 players. Those players should be a lock to have some type of production given their draft slot, but it's just a **** show this year.

The actual games now are just seem like a smaller part on the NFL now.

Hours and hours are devoted to pre-game, post-game, shows all week, NFL-ESPN Radio shows all week that need info to feed the hours. So it turns the NFL into a "Soap-opera" that needs content. Shows like Skip Bayless, Steven A. need content. So they have to focus on more than the games. They need to report on disgruntled WRs who want more catches. QBs who need more weapons, players who want to be traded, head coaches under fire, now Taylor Swift is part of the KC games. Every big play showing Swift. NFL loves that "Love Story" If they break up they will blame Swift if Kelce has a bad game.

I saw a blurb that said "Mahomes meets Taylor Swift, say she is really cool"

The pre and post game has evolved into cookie-cutter shows. Get a bunch of interchangeable ex-players and coaches and throw in a good looking female to ask them questions. All the games have female sideline reporters now.

That is the NFL package now. As ratings show it is working.

Last edited:

Hours and hours are devoted to pre-game, post-game, shows all week, NFL-ESPN Radio shows all week that need info to feed the hours. So it turns the NFL into a "Soap-opera" that needs content. Shows like Skip Bayless, Steven A. need content. So they have to focus on more than the games. They need to report on disgruntled WRs who want more catches. QBs who need more weapons, players who want to be traded, head coaches under fire, now Taylor Swift is part of the KC games. Every big play showing Swift. NFL loves that "Love Story" If they break up they will blame Swift if Kelce has a bad game.

The pre and post game has evolved into cookie-cutter shows. Get a bunch of interchangeable ex-players and coaches and throw in a good looking female to ask them questions. All the game have female sideline reporters now.

I haven't watched any NFL coverage besides actual games for years now.

I don't hate myself enough to watch Skip Bayless. I'd chew on a cyanide capsule well before reaching that point.

YouTube has better content creators than anybody employed by ESPN. If you want people who are knowledgeable about football and who can walk you through Xs and Os, they're on YouTube, not any of the networks. If you want people who are funny, they're on YouTube (and here), not on any of the networks. We can lament how bad the network coverage of the NFL is these days, but it's better to be happy about the fact that you can ignore them entirely and not miss out on anything.

The pre and post game has evolved into cookie-cutter shows. Get a bunch of interchangeable ex-players and coaches and throw in a good looking female to ask them questions. All the game have female sideline reporters now.

I haven't watched any NFL coverage besides actual games for years now.

I don't hate myself enough to watch Skip Bayless. I'd chew on a cyanide capsule well before reaching that point.

YouTube has better content creators than anybody employed by ESPN. If you want people who are knowledgeable about football and who can walk you through Xs and Os, they're on YouTube, not any of the networks. If you want people who are funny, they're on YouTube (and here), not on any of the networks. We can lament how bad the network coverage of the NFL is these days, but it's better to be happy about the fact that you can ignore them entirely and not miss out on anything.

That is true. When the Lions are on at 1pm I turn the game on at 12:59.

The core product is great. However, we are reaching the point where it is becoming difficult for normal people to watch each game. I'm pretty devoted to this and willing to devote some of my leisure budget to NFL-watching, but we're all outliers in that regard. The league needs to figure out a way to market a one-bill-for-everything package or dramatically consolidate the number of broadcast platforms they use.

The minute the Superbowl goes to a streaming site, I'm out.

I've been a loyal NFL fan for 40 years. Stayed strong. Went with the punches. Still love it. Having said all that, for literally the first time, I felt betrayed this weekend. It's this need to pay for 5 streaming services to watch games. It's sickening to me. I fully understand it's a business and it's the NFLs job to make money, but when u start squeezing the fans it turns into what I dislike in our world.

Users who are viewing this thread