What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can NFL Football Jump the Shark? (1 Viewer)

The core product is great. However, we are reaching the point where it is becoming difficult for normal people to watch each game. I'm pretty devoted to this and willing to devote some of my leisure budget to NFL-watching, but we're all outliers in that regard. The league needs to figure out a way to market a one-bill-for-everything package or dramatically consolidate the number of broadcast platforms they use.

The minute the Superbowl goes to a streaming site, I'm out.
Oh my. Brutal. Didn't even think of that. Imagine the money they could make of it were a 50 dollar pay per view. Smh

The core product is great. However, we are reaching the point where it is becoming difficult for normal people to watch each game. I'm pretty devoted to this and willing to devote some of my leisure budget to NFL-watching, but we're all outliers in that regard. The league needs to figure out a way to market a one-bill-for-everything package or dramatically consolidate the number of broadcast platforms they use.

3 years ago everyone laughed at this possibility. Its not so funny anymore. They've slowly but surely taken away more and more content that we used to get as part of what we already paid for.

I like EPL soccer. 5 or 6 years ago, if there were 3 games during a single window (say 10 AM on a saturday) you'd get one on NBC Sports, one on USA and maybe even one on regular NBC. And on the last day of the season (when all 10 games are played at the same time) they'd be on ALL the NBC channels. It was great.

And then PEACOCK came out. And now if there's 4 games in a single window, all but one is on Peacock. And half the time there's a game between 2 of the top 6 teams (even if its the only game in the window), its on Peacock. What does Peacock cost....like $10 a month. I'm a FBG, so I can afford that, but its the principle. Paying for it tells the network that its ok to charge me extra even though I'm already paying for cable (hundreds of channels I dont watch). And the next you know, NFL playoff games, the world cup, the Duke-UNC basketball game, the NCAA tournament....they'll all be ala carte buys in addition to my cable bill.

At some point you just have to say no.

Can say I watch less football than ever, and couldn't be happier. The games are and have been unwatchable for years... the amount of commericals is absolutely sickening.

wouldnt give the NFL a single dollar of my money.

Okay, so we're in the Shark Pool and I just turned the television on to find Michael Irvin and some other guy playing a segment called "Hype Man" and yelling at the camera.

I think I just saw Arthur Fonzerelli in the background of the set.

What moments make you think professional football has jumped, is jumping, or might jump the shark?

I'll go with the NFL getting into bed with the gambling industry is jumping the shark as we speak.

Michael Irvin has been an NFL talking head for like 15 years now and the thing people most commonly lament about missing in the NFL is when Irvin and Randy Moss and Tom Jackson used to yell "you just got..............JACKED UP!!!" at the camera.

Just saying, there's nothing really new here. The pre game shows and sportscenter segments have often been Bradshaw and Irvin and Moss all laughing and talking over each other for more than a decade now. Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith and those guys have been involved for just as long.

I've been a loyal NFL fan for 40 years. Stayed strong. Went with the punches. Still love it. Having said all that, for literally the first time, I felt betrayed this weekend. It's this need to pay for 5 streaming services to watch games. It's sickening to me. I fully understand it's a business and it's the NFLs job to make money, but when u start squeezing the fans it turns into what I dislike in our world.

What 5 are they? Aren't all of the games on cable except Thursday Night Football on Amazon which most of us (granted, not all) have already anyway?

3 years ago everyone laughed at this possibility. Its not so funny anymore. They've slowly but surely taken away more and more content that we used to get as part of what we already paid for.

I like EPL soccer. 5 or 6 years ago, if there were 3 games during a single window (say 10 AM on a saturday) you'd get one on NBC Sports, one on USA and maybe even one on regular NBC. And on the last day of the season (when all 10 games are played at the same time) they'd be on ALL the NBC channels. It was great.

And then PEACOCK came out. And now if there's 4 games in a single window, all but one is on Peacock. And half the time there's a game between 2 of the top 6 teams (even if its the only game in the window), its on Peacock. What does Peacock cost....like $10 a month. I'm a FBG, so I can afford that, but its the principle. Paying for it tells the network that its ok to charge me extra even though I'm already paying for cable (hundreds of channels I dont watch). And the next you know, NFL playoff games, the world cup, the Duke-UNC basketball game, the NCAA tournament....they'll all be ala carte buys in addition to my cable bill.

They already moved a NFL playoff game to Peacock, starting this year.

I've been a loyal NFL fan for 40 years. Stayed strong. Went with the punches. Still love it. Having said all that, for literally the first time, I felt betrayed this weekend. It's this need to pay for 5 streaming services to watch games. It's sickening to me. I fully understand it's a business and it's the NFLs job to make money, but when u start squeezing the fans it turns into what I dislike in our world.

What 5 are they? Aren't all of the games on cable except Thursday Night Football on Amazon which most of us (granted, not all) have already anyway?
U watch the London game without ESPN Plus and it's 9.99 a month charge? Look. It's not about the money for me. It's that I have to jump down the rabbit hole and follow instructions to simply watch football.

If you get youtube TV you get everything except Thursday Night Football (which is on Prime, which 50% of US households had already even before TNF went there), right? Am I missing any games?

And really I think that's true of pretty much any cable service. I only mentioned YTTV specifically because you can add Sunday Ticket there and literally get 258 of the 272 games all season long, with the other 14 being Thursday Night Football games. So 1 service gets you 95% of the games, and 2 get you 100%. Unless I'm missing something.

ETA: I see above maybe the 5 London games aren't on YTTV.

U watch the London game without ESPN Plus and it's 9.99 a month charge? Look. It's not about the money for me. It's that I have to jump down the rabbit hole and follow instructions to simply watch football.

Got ya, I forgot about those. But those are really kind of bonus football, right? That you wouldn't have even had access to in the past. If you're in the local markets that game was still aired on Fox just like it always would have been. If you live in Denver or something it wouldn't have been on TV historically anyway since it's not the locally broadcast game.

But yes I don't think it was on Sunday Ticket, which I agree it should have been included in.

They already moved a NFL playoff game to Peacock, starting this year.

I think if a local team is on they put it on free TV. I know I watched the Eagles on a regular channel and not on Prime. I hate not being able to change the channel.

I didn't read all the replies so sorry if this has been said... the NFL would have already jumped the shark if not for fantasy football... it is literally propping up the league.

Okay, so we're in the Shark Pool and I just turned the television on to find Michael Irvin and some other guy playing a segment called "Hype Man" and yelling at the camera.

I think I just saw Arthur Fonzerelli in the background of the set.

What moments make you think professional football has jumped, is jumping, or might jump the shark?

I'll go with the NFL getting into bed with the gambling industry is jumping the shark as we speak.
The 24/7/365 media circus jumped the shark decades ago.

Between the hashes it's still must see TV.
Agreed…..I block out all the noise and still love the game itself despite all the questionable calls, rules and BS that has infested professional and now D1 college sports as well.

It’s my drug every Saturday and Sunday and I love it.

I think I'm the only person that doesn't like the Redzone channel. There's too much jumping around for me, and I hate not being able to get into the flow of a game. But I get why others would like it,.

One thing that really hurts the NFL for me are the replay reviews/challenges. They take so long and really kill the flow of the game. I remember like 20 years ago or so when they used to have a timer on the screen showing how long the refs are taking in the booth, and IIRC, there was actually a time limit they were supposed to keep to. The whole thing with challenges is that they are only supposed to overturn the call if it's clear and obvious. Well, if it takes 5 minutes of reviewing, it's not clear and obvious. If we're really going by the clear and obvious language, then no replay review should be taking more than a minute(or even less). And even with the long reviews, they don't always get the calls right anyway, so **** it.

I also hate how it seems like after every big play you're always waiting for a flag to appear to negate it, especially on punt returns. And the fact that they need to constantly consult rules experts in every game. rabble rabble rabble

/rant

I think I'm the only person that doesn't like the Redzone channel. There's too much jumping around for me, and I hate not being able to get into the flow of a game. But I get why others would like it,.

One thing that really hurts the NFL for me are the replay reviews/challenges. They take so long and really kill the flow of the game. I remember like 20 years ago or so when they used to have a timer on the screen showing how long the refs are taking in the booth, and IIRC, there was actually a time limit they were supposed to keep to. The whole thing with challenges is that they are only supposed to overturn the call if it's clear and obvious. Well, if it takes 5 minutes of reviewing, it's not clear and obvious. If we're really going by the clear and obvious language, then no replay review should be taking more than a minute(or even less). And even with the long reviews, they don't always get the calls right anyway, so **** it.

I also hate how it seems like after every big play you're always waiting for a flag to appear to negate it, especially on punt returns. And the fact that they need to constantly consult rules experts in every game. rabble rabble rabble

/rant
I also do not use the Redzone channel. I like picking one game and watching it through. I already have my fantasy leagues dinging me everytime someone scores, or makes a big play. If I want to see actual scores to other games, I have an app for that. If I want to see a replay of every scoring play from every game from every angle, I can easily find it on Twitter for the next 4 days, or they'll show it to me at halftime of the noon games, and again in the afternoon game, and again at SNF, and MNF...

I'm in the VAST minority I know, but I wouldn't mind if they completely got rid of instant replay. Since that will never happen, they should review the play for 15 seconds and if the call can't be overturned in that time it wasn't egregious enough to be overturned anyway. Instant replay was supposed to fix obviously bad calls, not guarantee no bad call is ever made again... so why pretend that it's even possible to get every call right, even with super slow mo replays? 15 seconds and that's it.

If you guys get NFL+ Premium, you get the redzone channel, ALL local market games, and ALL prime time games for free. Amazon TNF, NBC SNF, ESPN MNF, ESPN plus Europe, Saturday games all of them. Can use mobile devices or stream to TV. Also you can watch all the replays of every game over the last several years including the ones that just played commercial free and condensed into about 40 minutes and you get the NFL NETWORK for free.

As far as jumping the shark, the quality of the product is ultimately what will dictate this but could take several years to see. There have been some supplements to enhance the entertainment and supplement the product. The two biggest being fantasy football and sports betting. Fantasy football is somewhat saturated, but sports betting has not. These two things draw additional interest to the game that would otherwise not be watching.

The key to me is what happens when the sports betting market saturates? Without another driver, you must make the quality of the product better. Right now, there are some things that make the quality of the product worse.

1. The effectiveness of the salary cap has been neutralized by the need for a top 3/5 QB and has now made LESS, not more parity than at any point during the Super Bowl era. There are several data points to back this up, but it’s mind boggling there has only been 1 QB drafted after 2012 to win a Super Bowl. That did not happen pre salary cap.

2. There are far too many stoppages and inconsistencies in the game. TV timeouts, reviews, injury timeouts, timeouts, etc

3. There are some plays that no longer serve a purpose and need to be altered or taken out completely. The kick return and onside kick being the two biggest. Both used to be the most exciting plays in the game and both now serve little to no purpose due to rule changes.

What could be the next driver in ratings after sports betting is saturated?
1. For me, it’s technology. If I were in charge, I would make turn the football field into a smart field. Have cameras in every pylon. Have cameras in the first down sticks. Have a camera installed just above the face mask where the helmet manufacturer logo sits. Have sky cameras. Then allow people to watch via all the cameras at once or choose via a smart device. Evaluate putting a chip on the players and football. All the cameras/chips would be synched to a server, and you know exactly what plays your team is running, how fast they are, how fast the ball is moving, and see the field through your players point of view.

2. Special teams need to be consequential again besides just kicking FGs. Several ideas for Kick/Punt returns and onside kicks, and the competition committee should be held to make some changes in the future.

3. Shorter reviews and more efficient officiating.

Overall, football remains strong but I could see a continued rise in all other major sports and college football even take some market share after the sports betting market saturates.

Last edited:
If you guys get NFL+ Premium, you get the redzone channel, ALL local market games, and ALL prime time games for free. Amazon TNF, NBC SNF, ESPN MNF, ESPN plus Europe, Saturday games all of them. Can use mobile devices or stream to TV. Also you can watch all the replays of every game over the last several years including the ones that just played commercial free and condensed into about 40 minutes and you get the NFL NETWORK for free.
They have coaches film, you get to watch games from behind the QB. Amazing

As far as jumping the shark, the quality of the product is ultimately what will dictate this but could take several years to see. There have been some supplements to enhance the entertainment and supplement the product. The two biggest being fantasy football and sports betting. Fantasy football is somewhat saturated, but sports betting has not. These two things draw additional interest to the game that would otherwise not be watching.

The key to me is what happens when the sports betting market saturates? Without another driver, you must make the quality of the product better. Right now, there are some things that make the quality of the product worse.

1. The effectiveness of the salary cap has been neutralized by the need for a top 3/5 QB and has now made LESS, not more parity than at any point during the Super Bowl era. There are several data points to back this up, but it’s mind boggling there has only been 1 QB drafted after 2012 to win a Super Bowl. That did not happen pre salary cap.

2. There are far too many stoppages and inconsistencies in the game. TV timeouts, reviews, injury timeouts, timeouts, etc

3. There are some plays that no longer serve a purpose and need to be altered or taken out completely. The kick return and onside kick being the two biggest. Both used to be the most exciting plays in the game and both now serve little to no purpose due to rule changes.

What could be the next driver in ratings after sports betting is saturated?
1. For me, it’s technology. If I were in charge, I would make turn the football field into a smart field. Have cameras in every pylon. Have cameras in the first down sticks. Have a camera installed just above the face mask where the helmet manufacturer logo sits. Have sky cameras. Then allow people to watch via all the cameras at once or choose via a smart device. Evaluate putting a chip on the players and football. All the cameras/chips would be synched to a server, and you know exactly what plays your team is running, how fast they are, how fast the ball is moving, and see the field through your players point of view.

2. Special teams need to be consequential again besides just kicking FGs. Several ideas for Kick/Punt returns and onside kicks, and the competition committee should be held to make some changes in the future.

3. Shorter reviews and more efficient officiating.

Overall, football remains strong but I could see a continued rise in all other major sports and college football even take some market share after the sports betting market saturates.
Just cut out the middle man & implant chips in all the players. Hell, make ‘em cyborgs - implant the camera in their left eye.

Then give viewers high dollar options. Like “pick the play”, or even better, virtual reality so I can “steer” the player.
:excited:

I think if a local team is on they put it on free TV.
Do you know why they do this?
(Hint: it's not out of the goodness of their heart.)

I have no idea.
Part of the contract. Games on ESPN used to have a lot wider definition of the local area they had to offer to a local station.
Baseball has an antitrust exemption. Football does not. (The NFL has an exception (Broadcasting Act of 1961; covers hockey and basketball as well) to allow them to negotiate broadcast contracts on behalf of all the teams).

Ensuring local broadcasts helps keep Congress and/or the DOJ out of their hair (e.g., eliminating the exception).

Eh, it kind of sucks now to be honest. All the skill players are a bunch of 170 to 190 pound runts now. There's no kickoffs. The Eagles are playing rugby. Everyone has a flashy running QB who struggles to throw the ball.

Thursday night football games always suck. Having to buy a subscription to watch the ****ty game sucks.

There's false starts on every play apparently some new rule exists where tackles get to lineup a foot behind the center and leave early. WR are allowed to run free on lame motions. No leading with the helmet. No taunting. Don't land on the QB too hard.

It went from a game about toughness to a game about how we can get the skinny player in space so nobody can touch him for 15 yards and then do it over and over again. Hate it.

Michael Irvin has been an NFL talking head for like 15 years now and the thing people most commonly lament about missing in the NFL is when Irvin and Randy Moss and Tom Jackson used to yell "you just got..............JACKED UP!!!" at the camera.

Yeah, I know that. But this was a whole new level of bad. I could see Fonzie in the background, getting ready to climb out of the boat and onto the water skis so thoughtfully placed in the water, floating and bobbing in the breeze of Irvin's screaming for the camera.

Best part about nfl now is redzone 1pm est games. Plenty of drama and back and forth as well as fantasy implication. 4 pm feels like a slog. Snf and mnf feel good for production value but forget tnf and 4pm games

The whole thing with challenges is that they are only supposed to overturn the call if it's clear and obvious. Well, if it takes 5 minutes of reviewing, it's not clear and obvious. If we're really going by the clear and obvious language, then no replay review should be taking more than a minute(or even less).
Right on.

Here's a genuine question - how long until RedZone "dies" (aka, is murdered) by the NFL?
And if not murdered, seriously altered.

Just give me the stats. The lines between NFL coverage and say - professional wrestling - have become increasingly blurred for me. Assume I have aged well beyond the "target audience" at this point as my interest in watching regular season games has dropped off dramatically over the last 3-4 years... and my interest in post season (once fantasy is over) has vanished.

Here's a genuine question - how long until RedZone "dies" (aka, is murdered) by the NFL?
Never because it attracts a different type of fan.

ya, the type of fan who is sickened by watching 85% of commercials to 15% of game.
so, again... when does it get axed or seriously altered? because more and more folks, especially the younger generation (w/ zero attention span) will not watch regular games.

Never because it attracts a different type of fan.

ya, the type of fan who is sickened by watching 85% of commercials to 15% of game.
so, again... when does it get axed or seriously altered? because more and more folks, especially the younger generation (w/ zero attention span) will not watch regular games.
Unless Taylor Swift is in a skybox.

Users who are viewing this thread