What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (3 Viewers)

meh, all I could get was ST and $40 off (instead the $60 I got last year and a GC), but I didn't quit the service and have to wait a week to "be out of their system" as an existing customer.

just too much hassle - what a crappy business model - ugh
:lmao: that you guys are still doing this. I've had YT TV for 2 years now. Can watch it anywhere on any device. Could not do that with DTV. I add Red Zone for $10/mo and then cancel when season is over.
YT is great I have it, however you cannot get Ballys Sports on anything but DirecTV. I think maybe you can stream it alone for $20 or so a month. Not worth that. I hope Ballys goes bankrupt, it sounds like it.

$54 monthly discount ended on my Xtra package. New bill is $183 for Xtra on 3 TVs and HBO Max. They already automatically gave me Sunday Ticket Max for the year.

Called up today and offered $40 off a month for 12 months and $5 off a month for 3 months for HBO Max.

That was the best they could do. I told them still too expensive. Have to pay one month at the new rate and disconnect set for Oct 19. Will do the disconnect and call back. If they had given me the same $54 credit with my existing Sunday Ticket I probably would have kept it, even though prices have crept up.

Truth is we have most of the streaming packages already and don't watch much direcTV. I need it for the NFL and do watch a few new shows as they come out but most make it to a streamer eventually. I do also get into some cable news from time to time.

Gives me a little time to research some alternatives. Most likely I'll stay one more year though because of the Ticket. I would think at the very least I'd get the same $40 off winback offer but who knows.
Got an email the next day asking me to stay and call them. Ended up roughly where I was last year and accepted it. $50 off a month for the Xtra package (yet actually a little more because she somehow changed the base rate which was confusing), 3 months of $5 off HBO Max, Sunday Ticket Max (which I already had), and a $100 gift card. Bill will go from $183 to roughly $115 for 3 months then $120. Still pretty high for what we use it for but I confirmed there is no contract added so I'll revisit after the NFL season.

I basically just need live TV for the NFL (Sunday Ticket and other local channels, NFL Network) and I like cable news from time to time (CNN). Everything else eventually makes it to streaming on one of the platforms I'm already paying for. Maybe Hulu Live TV or YouTube in my future. I may also need to add AMC+ as I see that doesn't necessarily play with some of the streamers.

just called myself.

$60/month taken off * 12 months
$100 visa gift card.

already had free Sunday Ticket Max on my acct so no changes there.

My poor mother has been getting billed monthly for HBO. They can't take it off of her ticket. She keeps getting the Philippines for customer service. She's stuck in bureaucratic hell, and is getting charged for stuff she didn't purchase. They say they can't fix the problem. Something about a "ticket." Not Sunday Ticket. But their internal processing or something. You guys wouldn't believe the saga. Can't wait for the NFL to tell them to take a hike so that my parents dump DirecTV. They're actively stealing from my folks.

Sunday Ticket going to Google/Youtube
I was planning on switching from DirecTV to YouTubeTV next week unless DirecTV has a compelling discount. Now it better be close to free to get me to stay.
Ive been looking as well...tired of the song and dance (though, not as if the streaming services are any different as their prices increase every year).
But also have to figure out my internet as I have had everything bundled with ATT (Direct and ATT mobile). Keeping the cell phones with ATT as we have had good service with them (they work where we need them to...in the house, on the main travel route and where we go in Wisconsin). Also our plan with ATT mobile we get HBO Max for free.
also...I detest Comcast/Xfinity and those really are the two main services for internet. Google Fiber kept saying they were close here but I have not gotten the notification that they are available to me.

Sunday Ticket going to Google/Youtube
I was planning on switching from DirecTV to YouTubeTV next week unless DirecTV has a compelling discount. Now it better be close to free to get me to stay.
Ive been looking as well...tired of the song and dance (though, not as if the streaming services are any different as their prices increase every year).
But also have to figure out my internet as I have had everything bundled with ATT (Direct and ATT mobile). Keeping the cell phones with ATT as we have had good service with them (they work where we need them to...in the house, on the main travel route and where we go in Wisconsin). Also our plan with ATT mobile we get HBO Max for free.
also...I detest Comcast/Xfinity and those really are the two main services for internet. Google Fiber kept saying they were close here but I have not gotten the notification that they are available to me.
You are right that the cost of the streaming services are creeping up. But even so, what I pay for my Google Fiber and Hulu Live and couple other add-on services I'm still about $40 less per month vs what I was paying for traditional cable and internet. And I've had those savings and more for the three years since I went full streaming. When I started I was saving about $90 a month.

At this point I know the costs will be similar to what I was paying before. BUT, the benefit as I see it is I can cancel these subscriptions at the drop of a hat and don't have to pay outrageous fees for cable boxes and stuff that I would have to return.

Plus, I can carry my phone to any screen I have in the house and have TV. I can move TV's around. I can put one on the patio and within 2 minutes I'm watching a game or whatever. Streaming is glorious in my opinion.

What do you guys use for a decent remote for YouTube TV? I had it for almost a year, liked it but couldn't get used to the remote. I have a Firestick and the remote only has like 5 buttons. I'm a "surfer" and could never get used to not surfing easily. I went back to DirecTV last month and actually got a better price that YTTV with Sunday Ticket etc.
This announcement may send me back, but I need to figure out the remote control issue.

I think I'm finally weeks away from finally getting rid of direct tv. Been with them since 2003 and have doing the yearly call and threaten to cancel for about 15 years. Going to be happy to get rid of the boxes and wires and move on.

I think I'm finally weeks away from finally getting rid of direct tv. Been with them since 2003 and have doing the yearly call and threaten to cancel for about 15 years. Going to be happy to get rid of the boxes and wires and move on.
I dropped it for YTTV when I moved in 2021 and couldn't be happier. I was with DTV since 1994, the first year of Sunday Ticket when it was $99.

What do you guys use for a decent remote for YouTube TV? I had it for almost a year, liked it but couldn't get used to the remote. I have a Firestick and the remote only has like 5 buttons. I'm a "surfer" and could never get used to not surfing easily. I went back to DirecTV last month and actually got a better price that YTTV with Sunday Ticket etc.
This announcement may send me back, but I need to figure out the remote control issue.
I have a Roku and its great.

Wife finally agreed to cut the direct tv, but just to get direct TV stream. At least we cut about $50/month. I kind of like it but at $70/month it still seems like a lot.

Not a fan of the record everything ever only option in YouTube TV. I read that a marked watched feature may be coming. Still, for the most part I'll be using it for live sports and news and all the other streaming services for most everything else.

the ownership group that controls our local FOX affiliate has been in a contract dispute for SEVERAL months now - so we have no FOX TV, so no sports that are carried on that local channel.

we get blacked out on Sunday Ticket, I got FOX Sports app via my firetv for several weeks - then they got wise to that ...

this weekend I signed up for fubo.tv's 7 day free trial so I could see the NFL playoff games on FOX (watching MIN v NYG now) - it's ONLY $75/mo for their lowest pkg - what a bargain.

I'll be cancelling well before the trial is over

and calling Direct TV and complaining about not getting what we're paying for ...so tired of calling - after a lot of complaining and escalation - you're lucky to have them toss you a $10 credit, I haven't done it for a few months - gonna have to suck it up and do it again this week

so pissed.

Just made the disconnect call. Gonna be weird not having to go through the whole game again after. Also just remembered I never did get my gift card from my last re-up in the fall. Oh well, not worth trying to fight for that now I guess.

the ownership group that controls our local FOX affiliate has been in a contract dispute for SEVERAL months now - so we have no FOX TV, so no sports that are carried on that local channel.

we get blacked out on Sunday Ticket, I got FOX Sports app via my firetv for several weeks - then they got wise to that ...

this weekend I signed up for fubo.tv's 7 day free trial so I could see the NFL playoff games on FOX (watching MIN v NYG now) - it's ONLY $75/mo for their lowest pkg - what a bargain.

I'll be cancelling well before the trial is over

and calling Direct TV and complaining about not getting what we're paying for ...so tired of calling - after a lot of complaining and escalation - you're lucky to have them toss you a $10 credit, I haven't done it for a few months - gonna have to suck it up and do it again this week

so pissed.
Try YouTubeTV

Just finished our experiment with YouTube TV and I think we're moving from DirectTV to Youtube. I noticed that some sports aren't as crisp as the picture on DirecTV, but it's minor.
Big hang up is the remote - we currently have a Samsung Smart TV and a DirecTV box with dedicated remote. The DirecTV remote is pretty nice and the Samsung remote and interface is really clunky to get to YouTubeTV. And even once you get there, it's not an intuitive experience on what button on the remote does what.
For our bedroom TV (dumb TV), I got a Google Chromecast HD with remote. That experience is way better now - automatically goes to YouTube TV or Google TV and navigation is easy.
Seems kind of dumb to ditch Samsung's Smart TV system, but for $30 on another Google Chromecast, I'd rather have a smooth experience.

Just finished our experiment with YouTube TV and I think we're moving from DirectTV to Youtube. I noticed that some sports aren't as crisp as the picture on DirecTV, but it's minor.
Big hang up is the remote - we currently have a Samsung Smart TV and a DirecTV box with dedicated remote. The DirecTV remote is pretty nice and the Samsung remote and interface is really clunky to get to YouTubeTV. And even once you get there, it's not an intuitive experience on what button on the remote does what.
For our bedroom TV (dumb TV), I got a Google Chromecast HD with remote. That experience is way better now - automatically goes to YouTube TV or Google TV and navigation is easy.
Seems kind of dumb to ditch Samsung's Smart TV system, but for $30 on another Google Chromecast, I'd rather have a smooth experience.
I also have Samsung TVs and Youtube TV. I went with a firestick on each of the TVs to access YoutubeTV. Much smoother.

Yeah...this will be our learning curve as we are doing the trial now and liking it thus far.
We have a Sony TV and the remote is ok...but ive been so used to the Direct Remote and it is well designed...that it all takes a little getting used to. Other TV is a dumb TV and the roku remote works great. Newer TV we have for outside this spring is a roku tv so that remote is ready to go.

Biggest problem with the 2 TVs we already use that have been using the direct TV remotes is getting our vizio sound bars to work with the TV or roku remote when it comes to the sound. Not wanting the volume on the native remotes to turn the TV speakers up but the sound bar instead. The SONY has always had issues with that where as the Directv remote it works flawless.

I also have Samsung TVs and Youtube TV. I went with a firestick on each of the TVs to access YoutubeTV. Much smoother.
We may end up doing that on the SONY...already have a firestick on it that we had around as the sony OS using google play did not have apple + so we had to add a device to a smart TV to use the service (and a few times the TV loses the wifi signal and its a pain to get it all reset so we just end up streaming through the firestick which seems to hook up to the wifi better than the TV does).

We have Firesticks for all our TVs and that's the default interface. No issues whatsoever. We don't ever use the native TV interface.

Out of the blue today I get an email from DirecTV saying that I'll be getting MBL Extra Innings for free this season. Have never subscribed to it so this is a shock. I'd much rather they just give me $50 per month off my bill for 6 months without me having to beg for it.

Such a dumb company. I got the same email on Friday giving me MLB for free. But since I had it last year, they charged my account to renew. I'm currently on the phone with them to fix. Of course the initial rep had no idea about any email offer.

Dish's "data breach" late in February is starting to smell like a scam.. Our bill went up $70/month.. Called to negotiate, told that the only thing they can do is, of course, take payments, or change programming.
will give them till next week.. Otherwise canceling and taking advantage of the up to $500 in gift cards to switch back to DirectTV.

We have Firesticks for all our TVs and that's the default interface. No issues whatsoever. We don't ever use the native TV interface.
Just signed up for YTTV on a trial run (been with DTV since like The Old Yeller days). My current hangup is there's no numbers on the Firestick or Roku remote. How do you get to channel X without scrolling through the whole stupid guide?

Just signed up for YTTV on a trial run (been with DTV since like The Old Yeller days). My current hangup is there's no numbers on the Firestick or Roku remote. How do you get to channel X without scrolling through the whole stupid guide?
1. Edit channel lineup however you want. Put the ones you use more often at the top.
2. Voice control -- "Watch TNT". That's the easiest.

What gianmarco said. You have to use your phone to do it though.

No you don't. The newer versions over last few years have built in voice buttons on the remote. These 4K Firesticks go on sale for $25 pretty frequently.

I've pushed back on the whole siri/alexa/hey google thing since the beginning. Too much Big Brother looking over my shoulder :scared:.
Is there some kind of magic remote that's not my phone?

No you don't. The newer versions over last few years have built in voice buttons on the remote. These 4K Firesticks go on sale for $25 pretty frequently.
I still have to on my Samsung TV. I have to sign into something to use the voice thing. I'm an old guy all that talking to the TV ,refrigerator, lights,stereo freaks me out.

The game you have to play with directtv or dish to renegotiate your bill is ridiculous.

Dish Bill went from $98/month to $140/month.. Been trying to get it fixed for 4 weeks, but got the "due to security breech we can't rework deals right now"

So called today to give them one more chance.. First guy told me I'd have to drop a TV, or drop local channels, or drop down to a lower package.. Told him "I'm willing to sign a new contract if that will get my price down" He said "not an option".. :angry:

Ticked me off so I hung up, called right back and said cancel at the prompt.. When the agent answered I told her price was too much and we were going to cancel.
She immediately said "I can drop your bill to $91/month if you will sign a 12 month contract.. Also threw in premium channels for 3 months, so done for now.

Why the hell you have to threaten to close your account to get the deal you deserve after 15+ years is beyond me.

We will be getting Fiber here by summer, so next year we might finally "cut the cord".

I went back to DirectV and got a decent deal. I was keeping YouTubeTV for the summer because it goes out during storms. We had a storm a couple weeks ago and right on cue, DTV goes out. But then a message pops up and asks if I want to switch to their Streaming channel. This was surprising as hell and and really great addition. Dropped YT TV and since, have had a couple other times DTV went out and then you can switch to Streaming. A pretty nice new feature.

I went back to DirectV and got a decent deal. I was keeping YouTubeTV for the summer because it goes out during storms. We had a storm a couple weeks ago and right on cue, DTV goes out. But then a message pops up and asks if I want to switch to their Streaming channel. This was surprising as hell and and really great addition. Dropped YT TV and since, have had a couple other times DTV went out and then you can switch to Streaming. A pretty nice new feature.
I'm in the process of going the other way. I signed up for YouTube TV on Friday. 3 weeks of free trial, but I fully intend to switch over. Just need to go through my recording list and make sure that everything is setup for going forward, plus that I watch the things I cannot get. I like that after setting up some series in my library that it adds some older episodes. So, I don't have to watch them on my DTV DVR. I plan on doing the full cancel in about a week.

Youtube announced pricing yesterday:
Sunday Ticket Pricing

YouTube TV will charge $349 for Sunday Ticket and $389 with RedZone; the cost on primetime channels once the presale discount ends are $449, and $489 with RedZone. Before June 6, the prices are $249 and $349 for the package on YouTube TV and Primetime Channels, and $50 more with RedZone.

I'm hoping that if I still have DTV that I get the RZ for free. Definitely need to buy before June 6th.

Sunday Ticket Pricing

YouTube TV will charge $349 for Sunday Ticket and $389 with RedZone; the cost on primetime channels once the presale discount ends are $449, and $489 with RedZone. Before June 6, the prices are $249 and $349 for the package on YouTube TV and Primetime Channels, and $50 more with RedZone.

I'm hoping that if I still have DTV that I get the RZ for free. Definitely need to buy before June 6th.

well it's goodbye Sunday Ticket for me - I'll just be stuck watching whatever they decide to give me through the networks and Amazon ...not happening

I never paid for it before (except for being "captured" via the annual subscription fight with Direct TV)

Was really hoping for a single-team option, but the CBS sports article I read said not this year. Also curious what they do with bars. They are all equipped with DTV. Doubt many of them want to switch to YTTV. So, will YTTV do what Amazon did and work something out with DTV to allow commercial establishments to still show things via their satellite?

Was really hoping for a single-team option, but the CBS sports article I read said not this year. Also curious what they do with bars. They are all equipped with DTV. Doubt many of them want to switch to YTTV. So, will YTTV do what Amazon did and work something out with DTV to allow commercial establishments to still show things via their satellite?

Found an article from a couple of weeks ago. Looks like the NFL is partnering up to create a new "company" that will allow the rights to be shown via satellite (and cable), so my guess is they will continue to show it via the DTV boxes at bars.

link

Sunday Ticket Pricing

paywall

Users who are viewing this thread